• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an FYI, the two (three if you count the expansion for SH4) Silent Hunter games are not redundant at all-they cover two separate unrestricted submarine warfare campaigns with their own very unique circumstances and hardware. IL-2 is also one of the best bang for your buck PC games ever made, if you're a fan of hardcore flight sims.

Blizzard

Banned
Orellio said:
I thought that was really awesome on their part.

On the other hand though, I got the achievement for killing the first "boss" I guess in the demo. When I loaded up the game after I bought it with my progress in tact, the boss was still dead but I don't have my achievement :(
Weird...I was afraid that would happen, but when I started the game, it gave me the "started adventure achievement" immediately, and the boss was still alive when I tried running forwards, so it seemed to save right before that point. Did you reload your save after the demo finished? It might have forced something to save after that point instead.

So I can't say whether this confirms the holiday sale is on or not, however, Valve has just placed about 4-5 new complete packages in their list. Whether they are updated, reduced in price, or what I don't know. Just an FYI.

Edit: So I just did some more digging and one of the packs is a Codemasters Complete pack! Whether that includes everything or mostly everything I don't know but it seems Valve is getting ready to blow our minds.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I was playing the demo for Tocrhlight and having an awesome time, so I went to buy it and it's no longer 9.99.

:(

Minsc

Gold Member
Ermac said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I was playing the demo for Tocrhlight and having an awesome time, so I went to buy it and it's no longer 9.99.

:(

Just wait five more days. Hopefully.

Tenks

Played Torchlight for a few hours today.

I understand what all the fuss was about. Since I generally play more big-budget games to indie it's rare to see a game with nearly flawless execution like this. Good stuff.

Wark

Tenks said:

I understand what all the fuss was about. Since I generally play more big-budget games to indie it's rare to see a game with nearly flawless execution like this. Good stuff.

I was throughly enjoying the 2-hour Torchwood demo until the time ran out! Damn it! :lol

I'm definitely gonna be making a purchase shortly.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Tenks said:

The problem is I'm not sure I'd really call this an indie game. It's just not a big budget game cause everyone came over from previous studios and they had to start from scratch money wise. So it wasn't big budget, but I'd hardly call this team an indie development house.

Thomper

52club said:
If someone missed the Steam Torchlight deal direct2drive has it for the same price right now.
That version doesn't provide Steam Cloud support and achievements, though, so if you want those, you might prefer waiting/holding out until Steam's Christmas Sale and hope Torchlight pops up again.

Is anyone else having problems with Steam Cloud? Whenever I exit Torchlight, a dialogue box pops up that says "could not save to steam" and I have to click out of 4 or 5 of these. Also, the first time that I exited the game, MS Security Essentials prompted me about the Torchlight file under steamapps. Is there a setting that I am missing?

Minsc

Gold Member
Kestastrophe said:
Is anyone else having problems with Steam Cloud? Whenever I exit Torchlight, a dialogue box pops up that says "could not save to steam" and I have to click out of 4 or 5 of these. Also, the first time that I exited the game, MS Security Essentials prompted me about the Torchlight file under steamapps. Is there a setting that I am missing?

I don't know, but I had to enable the beta versions of Steam to download the newest beta so I could even load my copy of Lost Planet, the game kept quitting and telling me Steam wasn't loaded even though I was launching it from Steam itself, fully loaded.

Getting the new beta fixed the issue though, which wasn't an isolated one.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Kestastrophe said:
Every time I launch Torchlight it starts to sync and then hangs at 0 bytes transferred. I have to quit steam completely and then restart steam and then I can launch torchlight without it trying to sync.

Kestastrophe said:

I don't have any problems with Steam Cloud, but MSE always prompts like that when certain new EXEs are run. Torchlight updated itself, so I'm guessing MSE sees that the CRC or something has changed and prompts you to submit this as a valid file for review. You don't have to do it but it's not an indicator of any kind of problem. I get that message whenever I run an updated .EXE from steam for the first time.

Minsc

Gold Member
ezekial45 said:
What are the chances of Fallout 3: GOTY edition getting a price drop?

I don't know but what'd be funny is if it's sold for less than the 5 pieces (?) of DLC total for, which wouldn't surprise me.

I only have the regular Fallout 3, but the DLC's are each like 800 MS points (which is ~$10 i think), so that's ~$50 for just the DLC. Which is pretty fucked up if you think they'll be selling the GOTY edition for far less, which includes the actual game and all the DLC.

Actually it already is $30 on Amazon ($20 cheaper to buy the full game w/ the DLC included than just the DLC alone) :lol

MS really needs to adjust the prices of those DLCs, they should be about 100-200 MS points each now, not 800.

Something tells me MS just never changes their prices, thank I don't use their store for anything.

kuYuri

Minsc said:
I don't know but what'd be funny is if it's sold for less than the 5 pieces (?) of DLC total for, which wouldn't surprise me.

I only have the regular Fallout 3, but the DLC's are each like 800 MS points (which is ~$10 i think), so that's ~$50 for just the DLC. Which is pretty fucked up if you think they'll be selling the GOTY edition for far less, which includes the actual game and all the DLC.

Actually it already is $30 on Amazon ($20 cheaper to buy the full game w/ the DLC included than just the DLC alone) :lol

MS really needs to adjust the prices of those DLCs, they should be about 100-200 MS points each now, not 800.

Something tells me MS just never changes their prices, thank I don't use their store for anything.

$30 on Amazon is Amazon price matching Best Buy's weekly ad, I'm sure that price will go back up once this week is over.

Also, isn't it up to Bethesda to price the DLC, not MS?

Minsc

Gold Member
Strider2K99 said:
$30 on Amazon is Amazon price matching Best Buy's weekly ad, I'm sure that price will go back up once this week is over.

Also, isn't it up to Bethesda to price the DLC, not MS?

You're probably right, but either way it's pretty stupid to make re-buying the game cheaper than purchasing the DLC.

zbarron

darkpaladinmfc said:
It's only got a 78 on Metacritic, but most of the complaints are 'KB+M sucks for this genre' :lol .
They are valid complaints. When I downloaded the demo there was no mouse look which is inexcusable for a PC game. Now that I have a 360 pad I am going to have to consider getting it. I just think $30 is kind of steep for such an old game.

Minsc

Gold Member
zbarron said:
They are valid complaints. When I downloaded the demo there was no mouse look which is inexcusable for a PC game. Now that I have a 360 pad I am going to have to consider getting it. I just think $30 is kind of steep for such an old game.

It's only $9.99 w/ free shipping @ newegg if the steam sale doesn't pan out. :)

DryvBy

Torchlight is incredible and I hope someone mods in some netcode (would have been 2x better with friends).

Funny story: My friend and podcast chum was complaining about Torchlight being too "repetitive" and how he ultimately hates the entire game because it's boring. This being the same friend that hit level 95 rushing cow levels for hours.

Just thought I'd share. :lol

MoFuzz

darkpaladinmfc said:
It's only got a 78 on Metacritic, but most of the complaints are 'KB+M sucks for this genre' :lol .

I know people like that. They refuse to play on anything but a keyboard and mouse. I think it's taking the PC elite thing a little too far.

Playing stuff like Need For Speed, Batman: AA or Devil May Cry can be played with a keyboard, but why the hell would you?

zbarron said:
They are valid complaints. When I downloaded the demo there was no mouse look which is inexcusable for a PC game.

For DMC4? Doesn't it have a fixed camera angle a lot of the time? How do they have the camera controls setup by default? using keys?

MoFuzz said:
Playing stuff like Need For Speed, Batman: AA or Devil May Cry can be played with a keyboard, but why the hell would you?

I know right ? Its like playing an FPS with a controller.

I kid i kid :D But yeah i know what you mean, the advantage is controller for those games.

Edit - Batman ? Felt better to me on mouse n keyboard, especially when facing large groups and can quickly spin around to check where the next thug is.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
New games on the GWFL service - I'm so tempted to rebuy World of Goo and Osmos for 360 achievements. :lol

Too bad the Steam versions probably won't get updated to support GFWL.

Rufus

Minsc said:
For people who don't own F3 yet that would make a lot of sense, but for those who do it's still cheaper than the GOTY. It makes perfect sense, if you think about it.

Has MS ever permanently adjusted the price of anything?

MoFuzz

Ogs said:
I know right ? Its like playing an FPS with a controller.
Dude, how else are we going to be able to settle in on our BIG COMFY COUCH *wink wink*

Ogs said:
Edit - Batman ? Felt better to me on mouse n keyboard, especially when facing large groups and can quickly spin around to check where the next thug is.
That's a valid point, although personally, I don't spend too much time spinning the camera around in that game... I'm too busy dispensing major bat-p0wnage, you know, with BUTTONS! BOO YEAH!

Haha, okay seriously though, any kind of dial-a-combo action game is much easier for me with a pad. Must be somewhat psychological?

zbarron said:
It's not a valid complaint, the KB+M controls are bad, but there is very easy gamepad support. It doesn't make sense for the PC version to score a fair bit less than the consoles when it has more content, and is missing nothing from the console versions.

Minsc

Gold Member
Rufus said:
For people who don't own F3 yet that would make a lot of sense, but for those who do it's still cheaper than the GOTY. It makes perfect sense, if you think about it.

Has MS ever permanently adjusted the price of anything?

That was my point it's not. It'd cost me $50 to buy the DLC and $30 to buy the GOTY Fallout 3 game, which includes all the DLC + the actual game.

The DLC alone is more expensive than buying the DLC + game. Even at regular price, the DLC is the same price as the game + DLC, what' the heck is up with that?

MoFuzz

darkpaladinmfc said:
It doesn't make sense for the PC version to score a fair bit less than the consoles when it has more content, and is missing nothing from the console versions.
bu-bu-but the 360 has achivements and gamerscore!

Minsc said:
That was my point it's not. It'd cost me $50 to buy the DLC and $30 to buy the GOTY Fallout 3 game, which includes all the DLC + the actual game.

The DLC alone is more expensive than buying the DLC + game. Even at regular price, the DLC is the same price as the game + DLC, what' the heck is up with that?

While I agree the DLC should be cheaper at this point, that $30 price you are quoting is a sale price. The MSRP is still $50 and that's the price at most locations. Yes, buying it from Amazon or Best Buy does make more sense for an informed consumer, but Bethesda's DLC pricing is probably based on the MSRP they provide for FO3:GOTY, and not a couple retailer's weekly deals.

Firestorm

MoFuzz said:
bu-bu-but the 360 has achivements and gamerscore!
PC version is Games For Windows Live. Tied to the same gamertag as all your 360 stuff. It was the reason I traded in my Fallout 3 as soon as I built my PC. I hadn't even played it yet and had had it for 8 months... got it for free with my PS3, traded in for $40 at EB. I <3 GFWL. All my stuff under one name.

And it probably scored lower because you're referring to a shitty site like metacritic. The rating dropped due to less reviews, many of which were sites which gave glowing reviews to the 360 one.

Minsc

Gold Member
Dr. Zoidberg said:
While I agree the DLC should be cheaper at this point, that $30 price you are quoting is a sale price. The MSRP is still $50 and that's the price at most locations. Yes, buying it from Amazon or Best Buy does make more sense for an informed consumer, but Bethesda's DLC pricing is probably based on the MSRP they provide for FO3:GOTY, and not a couple retailer's weekly deals.

Still doesn't make sense. The DLC ($50) is overpriced compared to even the MSRP of FO3:GOTY ($50). Unless you think the price of a Full Game + DLC = DLC.

I guess I'm just annoyed I'll have to buy 2 copies of Fallout 3 to get the DLC :lol

Firestorm said:
And it probably scored lower because you're referring to a shitty site like metacritic. The rating dropped due to less reviews, many of which were sites which gave glowing reviews to the 360 one.
Even so, many websites reviewing both gave the PC version a much lower score. 1up gave the console version 85, and the PC a 58 :lol. So they thought bad optional controls warranted a reduction of 27 points. It's not even like 1up are the only ones (Although they gave the biggest drop out of those featured on Metacritic).

Rufus

Minsc said:
Assuming you waited for all the DLC to come out before buying it, yes. If you have a few pieces of the DLC already you won't buy the GOTY... But then again, the GOTY edition came out last so I guess you have a point as well.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
That's pretty stupid to lower the review of the game because the M&KB controls suck. It's almost insulting us as PC gamers, saying that we would be too stupid to realize that we can get a controller for ~20$ or research the game before we buy it to learn that this type of gameplay is built for controllers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom