• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stallion Free said:
That's pretty stupid to lower the review of the game because the M&KB controls suck. It's almost insulting us as PC gamers, saying that we would be too stupid to realize that we can get a controller for ~20$ or research the game before we buy it to learn that this type of gameplay is built for controllers.
Especially when so many points are deducted, even when the PC version has bonus content and nothing removed.

ArjanN

darkpaladinmfc said:
It's only got a 78 on Metacritic, but most of the complaints are 'KB+M sucks for this genre' :lol .

It's underrated. The PC is easily the best version of the game, hell, this is probably the best game in this genre for PC.

Just use an XBOX 360 controller. It really needs it. Most 3rd person games work just as well with KB & mouse.(Batman, Assassins Creed, Prince of Persia etc) But this was really, really designed around a controller.

Jirotrom

firehawk12 said:
New games on the GWFL service - I'm so tempted to rebuy World of Goo and Osmos for 360 achievements. :lol

Too bad the Steam versions probably won't get updated to support GFWL.
effina.... i want my damn achievements

zbarron

darkpaladinmfc said:
It's not a valid complaint, the KB+M controls are bad, but there is very easy gamepad support. It doesn't make sense for the PC version to score a fair bit less than the consoles when it has more content, and is missing nothing from the console versions.
If a racing game came out on the consoles that controlled horribly with the standard gamepad but well with an optional racing wheel I would feel it deserves points knocked from it's score.

zbarron said:
If a racing game came out on the consoles that controlled horribly with the standard gamepad but well with an optional racing wheel I would feel it deserves points knocked from it's score.
Controllers are cheaper and are 'standard'.

Minsc said:
Still doesn't make sense. The DLC ($50) is overpriced compared to even the MSRP of FO3:GOTY ($50).

It's a wash. Assuming they even want ALL the DLC, owners of the original game are out $50 either way, and if they had splurged already on just one piece of DLC, then the DLC avenue will be cheaper for them. I feel this is very intentional pricing on Bethesda's part. Still overpriced on the value front, but it makes sense from a business perspective vs. GOTY.

MoFuzz

Firestorm said:
PC version is Games For Windows Live. Tied to the same gamertag as all your 360 stuff.
Whoops, should have been more snarky with my original post. I actually...don't give a shit about achievements/trophies or gamerscore.

But yes, GfWL has brought at least some good things to the PC platform, primarily for those who care to have a single unified account for their 360/PC gaming.

I think the best thing they've brought is the somewhat standard support for the 360 gamepad including rumble. For the longest time, PC ports did not support rumble and this bugged the shit out of me.

Zero Gear Pre-Purchase Now!

December 22, 2009, 1:57 pm - Valve - General Announcement

Zero Gear is physically-fueled, online multiplayer kart combat madness. Pre-purchase this title for 25% off and receive early beta access now!

I got into the beta awhile ago, but never played it. Maybe I'll give it a shot and see how it is.

Firestorm said:
PC version is Games For Windows Live. Tied to the same gamertag as all your 360 stuff. It was the reason I traded in my Fallout 3 as soon as I built my PC. I hadn't even played it yet and had had it for 8 months... got it for free with my PS3, traded in for $40 at EB. I <3 GFWL. All my stuff under one name.

And it probably scored lower because you're referring to a shitty site like metacritic. The rating dropped due to less reviews, many of which were sites which gave glowing reviews to the 360 one.

DMC4 ? Its only GFW, not Live.

Talyn

rhfb said:
Download it and then send yourself an email via gmail. INFINITE DOWNLOADS
Aren't gmail attachments capped at 25mb? That's what I recall reading and the install file is over 300mb. I ended up using 7zip to make a split archive and uploaded that to my Windows Live Skydrive. (Which caps each file at 50mb.)

graywolf323

son of a bitch

Tropico 3 is 50% off when it was only 33% off a week ago :|

that's rather low Steam, why have a publisher sale a week before they have an even bigger sale on them?

edit: also not everything is on sale this year it seems, Dragon Age, Fallout 3, Mass Effect not on sale

edit: correction Fallout 3 is 25% off, not low enough for me to rebuy it though

TheExodu5

Banned
Mirror's Edge - $4.99
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising - $19.99
Grand Theft Auto IV - $7.49
Defense Grid: The Awakening - $2.49
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl - $1.99

God damn.

Mrbob

Damn, only 33 percent off 2K, more importantly the civ 4 collection. Disappointment. Will probably pass and wait for a weekend deal. Maybe it will come up as a daily deal!

Some other goodies though!

jasonng

Overlord 2 is 50% off right now, is there a chance that it might go on a "today only" sale later on thus becoming cheaper? I'm going to buy it, I just don't want to buy it today only to have it go on sale for 4.99 a few days later.

Doytch

Witcher - $14
Wallace & Gromits Grand Adventures - $10

Evil Genius - $2
Lucasarts Adventure Pack (Indys, Loom, Dig) - $2.50
Braid - $2.50
Rome: TW - $2.50
Oddworld Pack - $2.50
Ghostbusters - $6.80
Riddick: DA - $6.80

Nelo Ice

Banned
jasonng said:
Overlord 2 is 50% off right now, is there a chance that it might go on a "today only" sale later on thus becoming cheaper? I'm going to buy it, I just don't want to buy it today only to have it go on sale for 4.99 a few days later.

u didnt get it when the complete overlord pack was $8.75?!

Doytch

You lie Steam! It says Paradox stuff is 50% off but Heir to the Throne isn't. Oh well, don't have the Steam version of EU3 anyway.

Nelo Ice

Banned
ahhhhhhh so much goodnesss DAMN U STEAM

i cant decide where to get mechanarium now steam or straight from the dev

also killing floor and jedi knight collection are tempting too

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
NightHawk17 said:
does games that aren't on sale yet drop eventually? namely mass effect

Already happened, ya just got to wade through the backlog to find what you are looking for.

Blizzard

Banned
Eidos complete pack. You save: $205.76

I wasn't planning on getting Batman, but like...I've heard Deus Ex and maybe Thief are good. Is it worth it? Some of those games look at least interesting... :lol

I'm not that interested in Batman, and I already own the Tomb Raider games, though.

dani_dc

Getting Lucasarts Adventure Pack for sure :D

Same with Witcher, the only doubt on that one is if I'll get it now or if I'll wait to see if it ends up as a Special Deal of the day.

Doubt I'll have time to play it soon so I'm planning to wait and see.

*goes search for more bargains*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom