• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreoleo

blackMamba1187 said:
Anyone interested in doing a Shattered Horizon Clan Pack?

44.99/4 = 11.25ea

For 11.25, fuck yeah count me in. PM me if and when you get a 4th and we'll get the ball rolling.

Good bundle price for shattered horizon, in fact good price for it being solo also with that 20-25% discount.

If you have a nice running DX10 pc, the game is stunning with most or all the effects on. I spent the first few matches just looking around and taking screenshots.

bathala said:
Is it crucial to get the expansion of Civ IV?

I'm just going to play the game casually

Yes.

The game is decent without it, but some of the better mods (Fall from Heaven 2 specifically) require Beyond the Sword, and the late game in vanilla Civ IV is a bit boring comparatively.

Sanjay

LovingSteam said:
Update: Looks like a DICE complete package is on its way to Steam. Don't know exactly what it includes but its coming nevertheless.

Edit: Looks like its for BFBC2 and its beta.

So no DICE complete package but instead its a BFBC2 pre-order with beta invites?

Am I being retarded here but how do I change it so Steam launches my games in 1280x1024? Stalker just keeps launching to a flickering black screen as my tv wont recognise anything higher or lower.

Kipe

Johnlenham said:
Am I being retarded here but how do I change it so Steam launches my games in 1280x1024? Stalker just keeps launching to a flickering black screen as my tv wont recognise anything higher or lower.

-autoconfig - Restores video and performance settings to default for the current hardware detected. Ignores settings inside any .cfg files until this parameter is removed.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Jesus. I love Steam, but oh I hate Windows 7 64-bit.

I still can't get Overlord to run, despite many reinstalls and stuff (it doesn't go beyond the loading screen), and now S.T.A.L.K.E.R. won't even open. Is there a way to set launch options in Steam so that it automatically runs the game in Admin mode?

Also, when I put Steam itself to run automatically in Admin mode, it told me that it was not recommended to "run the software in any compatibility mode". Should I disable it?

SmZA

Now we're getting to the end of the year I'm tallying all my Steam purchases to work out if I got value for money. I'm going to post my results so you can all point at me and laugh.

My Steam page
Current value of games (useless while sale is on)
My backloggery - showing games I've finished / currently playing

I opened a Google spreadsheet and entered what I paid for all my games since I started with Steam in Nov 2008 and came up with a total of $US650 (actual purchases were in $AUS).

Total games owned: 91

Games I paid full price for: 2 (The Club for $19.99 and 40k DoW2 for $49.99)

Games completed: 9 (Half-Life 2 & episodes, Left 4 Dead, STALKER & Clear Sky, Strong Bad Ep. 1, World of Goo, Windosill)

Games I haven't completed but played enough to feel I got value for money: 15 (Audiosurf, Beyond G&E, Borderlands, Children of the Nile, The Club, Company of Heroes, L4D 2, Mount & Blade, Peggle, Plants vZ, Psychonauts, Splinter Cell: CT, Trials 2, Witcher, X-Com)

Games bought even though I already finished them on console: 4 (Bioshock, Mass Effect, Peggle, Portal)

Games I've never bothered installing: all the shitty games from the Valve complete pack. Condition Zero? Haha.

Games I may never play and probably were a waste of money: at least 8 (Evil Genius, Garry's Mod, Overlord I & II, Silent Hunter III, IL-2 Sturmovik, Star Wars KOTOR, Universe at War and maybe more)

Most expensive game I haven't played yet: Call of Juarez BiB

Games I've bought since the '09 Christmas sale started: 0

The most useless purchases were the ones I saw were on sale, and thought I'd just try them because they were so cheap. Even though they were less than $10 it still added up over the year and now they sit in my Steam folder mocking me.

There are plenty of other games I haven't played much but still feel they were worth buying because I *will* play them at some point. Mainly the Telltale games (may skip Bone), all the other adventure games, and various other highly rated titles I'm LTTP on such as Dead Space or Mirrors Edge. I just have to cut my spending right down in 2010 and concentrate on the games I already have.

Although I feel daft for buying so many games I may not get full value from, I will say that I bought very few console games this year. My buddy bought quite a few 360 games at prices up to $AUS99 - games such as Dead Space or Mirrors Edge for which I paid all of $US5. In all he probably spent more on a dozen 360 games than I did on my entire Steam library.

Sorry for the blog post. How do you feel about your buying habits this year? Or do we need to wait for Jan 4th before we can see it objectively?

NASA is going to be launching a game on Steam in the next month or so:

http://www.astronautmmo.com/dmf/Media

Moonbase Alpha, featuring near-future NASA Constellation missions will soon be available on Steam! Look for this exciting download on Steam just before or after January 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7ULUEe9Hi0&feature=player_embedded

Astronaut: Moon Mars and Beyond is the upcoming official NASA MMO. This demo called "Moonbase Alpha," explores NASA Constellation program design details planned by NASA for 2020. Timelines in Astronaut: Moon, Mars and Beyond are set farther in the exciting future (2035+), but the ability to explore our own near-future moon missions are in scope in the much-anticipated STEM-learning game sponsored by NASA Learning Technologies. This mini-demo game is entitled "Moonbase Alpha."

It looks like Wings of Prey, which is the PC version of IL-2: Birds of Prey, will be heading to Steam soon. On GameTrailers, it's listed as being published by Valve and I believe the developer has already confirmed it.

Minsc said:
nevermind

Edit: wrong steam thread

It is a glitch/problem. I couldn't buy Bioshock yesterday and it said my card was declinded. but Burnout did work. I'd just wait until later when everything is running smoother.

dLMN8R

Looks like there is a Steam UI overhaul coming up. There was this thread from a month and a half ago: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1020025

"We're working on it."

"It's an art. If we don't say anything, people get upset. But they're happy when they see the release. If we do say something, people don't get as upset, but might be disappointed when the release doesn't do what we said, what they thought we said, or what they thought it could have done. It's pretty easy to make the argument that it's best to not say anything, particularly given the way that this forum responds sometimes."

"We're working on updating Steam's UI and adding substantial features to it. We do the latter all the time, incrementally. Doing more substantial work takes time, so from the outside it appears to happen in bursts even if the work internally is pretty continuous."

"You'll see it when it's ready."

Again, those are from about a month and a half ago. Now, jmccaskey (also from Valve) has posted this:

"We going to be improving the games list organization as part of a larger UI update in the future."

Hopefully coming soon

Nuclear Dawn has an official release date and it looks like it will be a full blown release. It was originally intended to be a modification for Half-Life 2 and it really pushed the engine. Looked really nice.

About the Game

Nuclear Dawn is the first game to offer a full FPS and RTS experience without crippling or diluting either side of the game.

Play as a soldier in a war-torn post-apocalyptic landscape, modeled on modern cities, and take the fight to your enemies as armored, assault or stealth infantry, using various weapons and load outs to accomplish your objectives. The first person shooter action in Nuclear Dawn is hard, fast and unforgiving, with weapons that rely on skill and tactics more than on twitch reflexes and map memorization.

Learn your roles, the strengths and weaknesses of each class, and use them to their fullest to lay waste to your enemies, in specially designed environments that force you to exploit terrain and cover to stand a chance in tomorrow's war.

Then, take Nuclear Dawn above the action, and play as the commander. Organize your fellow players in squads, and assign them to tactical objectives. Plan the resource routes for your army, and production of your structures for forward deployment.

Exploit the terrain and resource point locations to block your enemies’ tactical advance, and crush their plans in an iron fist. Research and implement new technology to give your soldiers the edge on the battlefield, and set up forward bases to lead the assault on your enemies, with full defensive and offensive structures to choose from and upgrade to build your perfect fortress.

• Two distinct factions: the Empire and the Consortium
  • Four playable classes, each with three sub-class loadouts, plus the commander role
  • Over a dozen weapons across the various classes, and factions
  • Each faction has a completely separate base-building paradigm, with different workflows and tech trees
  • Upgrade weapons, buildings and classes with powerful Golden Age blueprints
  • Build Doomsday weapons with pre-war technology that will give you the deadliest edge in battle
  • Travel across the largest, most detailed maps built in Source multiplayer to date.

http://www.nucleardawnthegame.com/

dLMN8R said:
"We going to be improving the games list organization as part of a larger UI update in the future."

Hopefully coming soon
People are in dire need for this considering that their accounts are now filled with a ton of games.

I may only own about 25 games on steam but I will welcome any adjustments to the game listing page we have currently. Even if they just add the ability to make some custom lists for us to move games around in, in fact that's exactly what I want.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Diablohead said:
I may only own about 25 games on steam but I will welcome any adjustments to the game listing page we have currently. Even if they just add the ability to make some custom lists for us to move games around in, in fact that's exactly what I want.
Plus the option to hide games - Midnight Club 2 runs at light speed on my computer - and I have no real desire to play it, it just came as part of a Rockstar pack - so the option to hide it along with some other games would be nice. They can always have a 'show hidden' button if need be.

crimsonheadGCN said:
It looks like Wings of Prey, which is the PC version of IL-2: Birds of Prey, will be heading to Steam soon. On GameTrailers, it's listed as being published by Valve and I believe the developer has already confirmed it.

This game would be so awesome it were a sim :(

Still pretty cool, though.

careksims said:
Any word there will be a Steam version of ME2? Hopefully very very very soon!
I don't see it announced at all but since Dragon's Age came out on Steam, I don't see why Mass Effect 2 would not.

graywolf323

careksims said:
Any word there will be a Steam version of ME2? Hopefully very very very soon!

I'd be pretty shocked if there wasn't

EA/Bioware and Steam seem to be on pretty good terms (what with all the Bioware games having been on sale during the holiday sale)

graywolf323

nyong said:
120 games and I can't find one I want to play. What's wrong with me....

you think you have it bad? :lol I'm worse

its kinda a mixed of being somewhat burned out on gaming and also just being overwhelmed

replaying Mass Effect pulled me back in for quite a bit but the lack of time around the holidays kinda pushed me back away

I think I'm a binge gamer :p

graywolf323 said:

its kinda a mixed of being somewhat burned out on gaming and also just being overwhelmed

replaying Mass Effect pulled me back in for quite a bit but the lack of time around the holidays kinda pushed me back away

Lol I have never had someone spam my blotter as much as you did during the sale lol. You went from like 270 to 380 or something crazy lol.

Firehead

graywolf323 said:

You and I both. After all the games I bough, I'll only play Harvest for a few minutes at a time.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
nyong said:
graywolf323 said:
Can I join this support group? I was overwhelmed by my backlog before this sale, now it's even worse.

I've installed and played a little bit of every game, and it's left me unfocused to the point of being disgusted.

This is not where I wanted to be with Mass Effect 2 looming.

nyong said:

Just start knocking games off of your backlog alphabetically. (assuming you haven't finished all your steam games).If not, fall back on TF2 because it's pretty much the shiz-niz.

graywolf323

LovingSteam said:
Lol I have never had someone spam my blotter as much as you did during the sale lol. You went from like 270 to 380 or something crazy lol.

eh I blame the packs :p after all the blotter does each thing separately so even though I bought a lot of stuff on one order it listed each pack and then game on separate lines :lol

also that steam counter is no way accurate, I did a count of my games list (was really bored and listening to an audiobook) and it's much much closer to 300 than 400 (even though my profile wants to claim it's 398)

Firehead

graywolf323 said:
eh I blame the packs :p after all the blotter does each thing separately so even though I bought a lot of stuff on one order it listed each pack and then game on separate lines :lol

also that steam counter is no way accurate, I did a count of my games list (was really bored and listening to an audiobook) and it's much much closer to 300 than 400 (even though my profile wants to claim it's 398)
Steam counts the mods for some games, as well as the SDK and toolkits for some reason. Another thing Steam needs to fix..

Firehead said:
Steam counts the mods for some games, as well as the SDK and toolkits for some reason. Another thing Steam needs to fix..
They no longer count 99% of mods. They do count dedicated servers, tools, and dlc like you said. I understand why. If you buy a game, anything associated with that game is seen as part of the package that you pay for (dedicated server).

It will be interesting to see what type of upgrade they do to customization, etc.

jet1911 said:
Errrr it is.

Unless there are realism settings not present in the demo, no, it isn't. Sims don't present planes as machines that can be jerked every which way and not suffer any structural damage, or recovering so easily from a stall. Combat sims don't present planes as being able to absorb bullets far beyond what they should be able to withstand.

I would absolutely love an IL-2 1946 with the graphics of Wings of Prey.

If however there are settings I missed, by all means disregard my comments.

nyong

Banned
TouchMyBox said:
Just start knocking games off of your backlog alphabetically. (assuming you haven't finished all your steam games).

This is brilliant. I'm doing it.

Apparently Alpha Prime is first up.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
btw guys if you bought Mass Effect during the sale can you see your CD key? i used to being able to do that but that option doesn't show anymore, weird.

Firestorm said:
And Bioshock 2. I'm all ready to cancel my Amazon pre-order as soon as a pre-load for Bioshock 2 goes up.
It's not in the blotter yet so it could be a few days. I will post here when the blotter updates with ME2 and Bioshock 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom