• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArjanN

Nimyh said:
To be fair you'd still have to go through a lot to reach that point. Both original games are brutal, TFTD just more so.

Yeah, up to that point it's pretty brutal. Seeing the characters you named yourself massacred one by one was oddly disturbing.

brain_stew said:
Just get Rome, the cheapest and generally considered the best.
Yeah and it is cheap, like. Just feels like I'd be getting a subset with old graphics. Albeit one that hasn't stretched itself to breaking point.

lakesideflight said:
edit: also they apparently lowered the initial sale price on Empire:Total War, last night I remember it being $13, today it is $10.20
They appear to have done the opposite in the UK, was £19.99 -> £6.xx, now £29.99 -> £10.19. Awesome exchange rate. :/

Diablohead said:
I am backing up my steam games using the build in backup utility and its taking ages to pack up big games like GTA IV, if I just copy/paste the installed game to an external hdd and delete the game from steam, will pasting back the files at a later date add it back to my steam installed list automaticly? One time I reinstalled steam years ago on an old computer and it didn't seem to work right.

If these back-up packages I am making know where steam is and reinstalls games quickly I would prefer to do that.

I have a baby small HDD because my pc was made on a super tight budget and processor, ram and graphics card came first before anything else as I was once a poor student :p
You can just copy the game to an external HDD and copy it back to your Steam folder. It won't automatically show up in your list of games but when you right-click > Install Game it'll zip straight through the download part almost instantly.

Houston3000 said:
You can just copy the game to an external HDD and copy it back to your Steam folder. It won't automatically show up in your list of games but when you right-click > Install Game it'll zip straight through the download part almost instantly.
Ah that is probably why it fails for me last time, since I pasted the files back over I never thought about telling steam to install and letting it check the files, silly me >_<

Zachack

ElAlcesDiablo said:
Yeah and it is cheap, like. Just feels like I'd be getting a subset with old graphics. Albeit one that hasn't stretched itself to breaking point.
Rome may not have the fancy graphics of Empire but considering that the game is played mostly with the camera pulled all the way back, all those fancy bits don't really matter too much in the end. And to be honest, I kinda think the Rome overworld looks better.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I got the gold version of RTW during the holiday sale but that didn't include the alexander expansion so do i miss much if i don't have the Alexander expansion for Rome Total war? kinda tempted to get it at this price.

Danneee

Medieval TW and Trine bought. The only downside to all these great sales on steam is that I wouldn't dare buy a game at full price if it wasn't a very recent release..

-Rogue5-

Man, I just want Mass Effect to drop to $10 again. Can't wait to play it at 1920x1080 with all the graphics-whoreness my 9800GX2 can muster. Then BAM, play ME2 the same way. Back 2 Back.

vocab

-Rogue5- said:
Man, I just want Mass Effect to drop to $10 again. Can't wait to play it at 1920x1080 with all the graphics-whoreness my 9800GX2 can muster. Then BAM, play ME2 the same way. Back 2 Back.

It was $5 back on the holiday sale.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Yay, Toki Tori got enough sales and people in it's group to get the community bonus level! Love this gem.

NIN90

-Rogue5- said:

Diablohead said:
I am still kicking myself for not buying the pc version at the time!

I just finished the game yesterday @1080p with max settings. Needless to say that it was pretty awesome.
Hope that helps you.

Diablohead said:
Unless it's £18-£20 on steam i'm not interested when retail is cheaper, sorry steam :(

The game's RRP is £20, so it won't be going up for anything more than that. I'll be happy to pay a £2 premium for the Steam convenience. SEGA have been offering some pretty good preorder incentives of late so hopefully they follow suit with this.

If the US folk don't get a budget price like we seem to be getting in Europe and it hits at $50, I'll be happy to help a few out to get a cut price gifted copy.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I don't even know what that sonic game is, it's clearly a kart racer though. Was it an arcade only title?

If this is a good kart racer and it's on PC with 8p multiplayer, SOLD!

Zzoram

If when Anno 1404: Venice gets released, it is bundled with the original in a non-DRM package for $50, I'll pick it up.

evlcookie said:
I don't even know what that sonic game is, it's clearly a kart racer though. Was it an arcade only title?

being made by Sumo who made superstars tennis, which never saw a pc release but was over all the consoles a few years back.

It's good fun in the 360 demo and at 60fps on the pc it will look wonderful, it plays very well.

evlcookie said:

Its half Mario Kart, half Outrun in terms of game mechanics, from SUMO that did excellent work with the Outrun 2 ports. Its a brand new game, not an arcade port.

Metalic Sand said:
Damn this is really tempting. Is the XBLA version ever coming out? :lol
Why would you wait for an XBLA version that will obviously cost a lot more?

BTW, I seem to have hit a point of a diminishing returns on Steam sales . . . I've picked up so many games on sale already that they are repeating. Already got Trine.

Oh, Trine is well worth $5. It is a fun platformer/puzzler/action. Despite the fantasy setting and an insignificant experience/level-up aspect, it is really not an RPG at all in case anyone thinks it is.

Gexecuter said:
I got the gold version of RTW during the holiday sale but that didn't include the alexander expansion so do i miss much if i don't have the Alexander expansion for Rome Total war? kinda tempted to get it at this price.

I did the same. Honestly, I don't know that I'll ever have the time to play through Rome and The Barbarian Invasion, but if Alexander is really awesome, I might get it anyway.

And anyone who does not have Trine MUST buy it. It really is fun, and $5 is a ridiculously low price for such a great puzzle/platform game.

Salaadin

How often do they put new released up for sale? I remember Dragon Age dropping a bit one week shortly after I bought so Im kinda waiting on Mass Effect 2 hoping the same happens.

Btw, i LOOOOOOVE Titan Quest. I almost feel bad that I only paid 5 bucks for it. Im 20 hours in so far.

vocab

Salaadin said:
How often do they put new released up for sale? I remember Dragon Age dropping a bit one week shortly after I bought so Im kinda waiting on Mass Effect 2 hoping the same happens.

Btw, i LOOOOOOVE Titan Quest. I almost feel bad that I only paid 5 bucks for it. Im 20 hours in so far.

Dragon age was only up for the Holiday sale for like $38. I really don't think Mass Effect 2 will get a Steal price or a slight discount for a really long time.

kswiston

Salaadin said:

Dragon Age dropped during the Black Friday sale. So did L4D2. Outside of Holiday sales, new high profile games usually take about 3-9 months to hit a weekend sale. I think you will be waiting 6+ months for Mass Effect 2 to go on sale. They will start with last Fall's games first (borderlands, Batman, etc)/

Salaadin

You guys are right. For some reason, I thought DA went on sale earlier then that. I guess Ill pick up ME2 once I finish TQ then. Thanks.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
crimsonheadGCN said:
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin has received a price drop and is now available at the price of $19.99.
FREAKING FINALLY

BOUGHT

I was so mad about this during the Holiday Sale. They could've cleaned up if $19.99 was one of the daily deals.

Hawk SE

crimsonheadGCN said:
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin has received a price drop and is now available at the price of $19.99.

I bought a boxed copy from Target on clearance for $9.99 and was able to register it with Steam. At that time (3 months or so ago), it was still $49.99.

mileS

Trine is $5 (think its just a weekend deal?)

YESYESYESYESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!! I missed it on the holiday sale and I was actually about to buy it a couple of days ago for $19 but I'm glad I waited. I played the demo with max settings the day after I got my new PC and my eyes nearly melted from how amazing it looks.

Volcynika

mileS said:
Trine is $5 (think its just a weekend deal?)

YESYESYESYESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!! I missed it on the holiday sale and I was actually about to buy it a couple of days ago for $19 but I'm glad I waited. I played the demo with max settings the day after I got my new PC and my eyes nearly melted from how amazing it looks.

It's a midweek madness deal, will be ending tomorrow.

Javaman

crimsonheadGCN said:

I liked the demo on that one quite a bit and will probably pick it up eventually. It's too bad that F.E.A.R 1 + exp has never shown up on steam.

Teknoman

Wtf? Just got two emails this morning saying my steam password and email had been changed...but under my profile, the email is actually still the correct one.

Diablohead said:
I am still kicking myself for not buying the pc version at the time!

I had the screen up to buy it, but I was incredibly sick and by the end of the day it slipped my mind. I am so mad I didn't get it then.

adg1034

Teknoman said:
Wtf? Just got two emails this morning saying my steam password and email had been changed...but under my profile, the email is actually still the correct one.

Are you 100% sure they're legitimately from a Valve/Steam email address? I'd contact Valve...

Teknoman

adg1034 said:
Are you 100% sure they're legitimately from a Valve/Steam email address? I'd contact Valve...

Nope, so I didnt click on any links, just went straight to steampowered.com manually. Sent a support ticket in a few minutes ago, so its still possible they were just fake fishing for info.

Havent seen any actual info changed, so im hoping it was just a false alarm.

Volcynika

If I'm not mistaken, I think it's better to check retail to see if you can find a cheaper copy of FEAR 2, since you should be able to register it to Steam (Steamworks title).

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Volcynika said:
If I'm not mistaken, I think it's better to check retail to see if you can find a cheaper copy of FEAR 2, since you should be able to register it to Steam (Steamworks title).
Oh really? Man I never realized this, and would have bought the game ages ago.

Volcynika

K.Jack said:
Oh really? Man I never realized this, and would have bought the game ages ago.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm right on that, but a second opinion from someone would help and verify!

EDIT: Is there a date or confirmation of Lost Planet 2 PC? I really enjoyed the demo on PS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom