• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomper

Mrbob said:
Poor Impulse, service can't catch a break.

The THQ pack was added to impulse a couple days ago for $99.99, and it doesn't include DoW2. Now the THQ pack on steam, which has more games in it, is half price. The impulse package wasn't as good in the first place, and now it looks really poor by comparison.
I want to like Impulse, because it's a decent service, but they seem like the least interesting one these days. GamersGate has pretty good deals (like a daily deal) pretty much every day, Direct2Drive is getting some really good deals too recently (lots of big publisher stuff 75% off), and GOG... well, GOG doesn't really compete directly with the others, but they too have been having great deals and new releases.

But then I go to Impulse, and their sales are always really boring. This week's weekend sales? The 'eGames Burger Pack', whatever that is. A Sherlock Holmes Sleuth pack which seems totally uninteresting. And some small discounts on their own PC-software-stuff. And this THQ Pack thing, too. It's like they're not even trying to attract customers anymore.

Thomper said:
I want to like Impulse, because it's a decent service, but they seem like the least interesting one these days. GamersGate has pretty good deals (like a daily deal) pretty much every day, Direct2Drive is getting some really good deals too recently (lots of big publisher stuff 75% off), and GOG... well, GOG doesn't really compete directly with the others, but they too have been having great deals and new releases.

But then I go to Impulse, and their sales are always really boring. This week's weekend sales? The 'eGames Burger Pack', whatever that is. A Sherlock Holmes Sleuth pack which seems totally uninteresting. And some small discounts on their own PC-software-stuff. And this THQ Pack thing, too. It's like they're not even trying to attract customers anymore.

Well there was a time when Valve had basically stopped offering anything brand new or even that good of a sale through Steam. Then the onslaught happened. They added EA, Lucas, Sony, Square, had the 2008 holiday sale, Steamworks, almost every new release appeared on Steam, Thanksgiving sale, 2009 holiday sale. Perhaps Impulse will have the same thing happen although I doubt it.

Thomper

LovingSteam said:
Well there was a time when Valve had basically stopped offering anything brand new or even that good of a sale through Steam. Then the onslaught happened. They added EA, Lucas, Sony, Square, had the 2008 holiday sale, Steamworks, almost every new release appeared on Steam, Thanksgiving sale, 2009 holiday sale. Perhaps Impulse will have the same thing happen although I doubt it.
I hope so, because competition is definitely good. But it's weird to see how Direct2Drive and GamersGate are both having insanely good deals recently, while Impulse has... a burger pack, and totally uninteresting new releases added a few times a week. I mean, D2D has Fallout 3: GOTY Edition for 50% off, and Europa Universalis & Assassins Creed for 75% off, and GamersGate has been having 50% to 75% deals on THQ games all month. They have to be able to do somewhat better at Impulse than what they're currently going for.

Edit: And as I said that, the THQ Pack became $50 on Impulse. Still no Dawn of War 2, but at least the deal is slightly less terrible now.

Thomper said:
I hope so, because competition is definitely good. But it's weird to see how Direct2Drive and GamersGate are both having insanely good deals recently, while Impulse has... a burger pack, and totally uninteresting new releases added a few times a week. I mean, D2D has Fallout 3: GOTY Edition for 50% off, and Europa Universalis & Assassins Creed for 75% off, and GamersGate has been having 50% to 75% deals on THQ games all month. They have to be able to do somewhat better at Impulse than what they're currently going for.

Edit: And as I said that, the THQ Pack became $50 on Impulse. Still no Dawn of War 2, but at least the deal is slightly less terrible now.

Honestly, I see Impulse in a catch 22 right now, not to mention being in limbo. They cannot afford to price match the likes of Steam, D2D, and GG. They also lack the content. They have a small community that is faithful to them but they cannot offer these individuals better deals than the big 3. I don't know how much steam (no pun intended) they have left.

Catshade

Thomper said:

But the Steam pack doesn't have Supreme Commander and Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance, which seems to be exclusive to the Impulse pack.

Thomper

LovingSteam said:
Honestly, I see Impulse in a catch 22 right now, not to mention being in limbo. They cannot afford to price match the likes of Steam, D2D, and GG. They also lack the content. They have a small community that is faithful to them but they cannot offer these individuals better deals than the big 3. I don't know how much steam (no pun intended) they have left.
Isn't GamersGate only backed by a relatively small company as well? They didn't even have servers in North America until a short while ago, if I remember correctly. Plus, Impulse might have a bigger marketshare than GamersGate as well. I remember some Impulse-report a while back with them saying they were the number two or three. Not sure how accurate that was, but still. Impulse is, right now, by far the least interesting digital download-service, and with the battle really heating up again recently, I hope they don't become the first to drop out.
Catshade said:
But the Steam pack doesn't have Supreme Commander and Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance, which seems to be exclusive to the Impulse pack.
Hmm, true. But for the full picture: the Impulse pack also excludes Frontlines and Saints Row 2. And you can get Supreme Commander for pretty cheap these days.

IdleRover

I think I might have to bite on the THQ pack and Europa Universalis III complete.

Stalker complete mod 2009 runs on the Steam version too, right?

spons

Gold Member
Tryph said:
I think I might have to bite on the THQ pack and Europa Universalis III complete.

I used the steam version with that mod, it works fine.

Haeleos

Tryph said:

Yes you just have to run the normal game once for the Stalker Complete installer to recognize it's install location.

slamskank

Tryph said:

Complete 2009 works with the steam version, yes.

dejan

LovingSteam said:
It also doesn't help that we europeans can't purchase any games from 2K Games, Activision, Atari, EA and Ubisoft anymore. Wtf happened?

hamchan

Wow, the THQ pack was pretty unexpected. They put CoH and Titan Quest on sale a week ago too. Those two sales must have been a way to take advantage of steam's inability to gift extra copies from packs since i'm gonna buy the THQ pack even though I've already bought the CoH pack. So I'm pretty much paying the $50 for the THQ pack + however much the CoH pack costs. If I had only waited a week I would have gotten the same amount of games for only $50. Whatever though, I'm still getting a discount, just less than what I could have gotten. Well played THQ.

graywolf323

Catshade said:

it is really weird to me that Supreme Commander 2 is Steam activated yet the original game and it's expansion aren't on Steam

panda21

i think SoC with complete 2009 runs better on my machine than pripyat does, and it looks better too :lol

starting with CoP was a mistake, SoC is much gentler to start with

Rufus

dejan said:
It also doesn't help that we europeans can't purchase any games from 2K Games, Activision, Atari, EA and Ubisoft anymore. Wtf happened?
What? You mean you can't add them to your cart, check out, see them? Because I see their games listed. (I'm in Germany, btw.)

bengraven

Gexecuter said:
Damn you are tempting me, stop talking! oh fine i'll get it, damn you! This deal is just too good to pass on.

YOU'RE HAPPY NOW I BET.

Narag said:
Sid Meier's Pirates comparison of M&B was so apt. This is going to be such crack for me.

SMP is probably my favorite 8-bit era game and even though it never changes much in it's graphical overhauled retreads, I still can't stop getting hooked on the gameplay.

The way I look at it, M&B is like an unofficial sequel/prequel that we never really got.

panda21 said:
looking at that M&B thread it sounds like everyone is saying it sucks, but its awesome. i'm confused. do you need a mod to make the rpg/story stuff fun? if the rpg and story elements suck then what am i supposed to be doing to enjoy it?

The modding is really easy and makes a huge difference. I mean, if you could mod Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness and it turns into a game better than Uncharted 2, wouldn't you?

That said, what sucks is the vanilla graphics are very 2002ish and the animations need to be modded because they're janky, also the story is missing.

If you can get over those, you'll be happy. There's a demo, btw.

Dragmire said:
Got Mount and Blade and immediately installed the mods. I think I'll have a lot of fun with this one and it looks good. But for some reason wooden things don't have a texture (bridges, some doors and buildings). They appear as white. Gotta find some way to fix that.

But thanks Evilore and everyone recommending it. :)

You have to add a line to the .ini file. Re-read the instructions on the forum. It will then load those textures. You may also be missing some.

panda21

dejan said:
"Sorry, this item is not available in your region."

http://www.impulsedriven.com/masseffect2

yeah i noticed that but i thought it was just me, like the region detection went haywire or something. theres a fuckload of games that have disappeared from impulse. its crazy because about half the games that show up on the first page of the action, fps and rpg sections are now blocked.. doesnt look good. i could swear it wasnt like this like a week ago either.

graywolf323

I bought Call of Pripyat at $20 and I don't even know why I did that :-s

Steam remembering my credit card information is very unhealthy for my wallet :lol

so I finally made that group I talked about during the Holiday Sale

edit: bah wait it keeps giving me an error message when I try to create the group

"There was an error creating your group - please try again."

I think Valve added a filter to group and usernames to prevent people from using Steam or Valve in the name, since it was used by many to scam people with giving account information away.

hamchan

The amount of games currently on special is pretty amazing. Isn't there only normally a weekend deal and a midweek madness? Why are there so many?
The total war games are still discounted, mount and blade 85% off, THQ complete pack 50% off and I've noticed Puzzle Quest is also 50% off. Holy Moly.

Volcynika

hamchan said:
The amount of games currently on special is pretty amazing. Isn't there only normally a weekend deal and a midweek madness? Why are there so many?
The total war games are still discounted, mount and blade 85% off, THQ complete pack 50% off and I've noticed Puzzle Quest is also 50% off. Holy Moly.

Do not question them! Just accept them into your heart.

Sloegr

hamchan said:

I'm hoping it's because publishers are finally realizing the power of these types of sales.

graywolf323

crimsonheadGCN said:
I think Valve added a filter to group and usernames to prevent people from using Steam or Valve in the name, since it was used by many to scam people with giving account information away.

kinda ruins making a Steam Addicts Anonymous group then >_<

It is funny that "Animal Fun Pack" image shows 6 games, yet only 2 are displayed in my region. 5 is displayed in the US store, and in both cases (2 and 5 games) the price is the same, US$ 14.99. ?????? Besides, where is the missing sixth game?

Javaman

What a crazy week for sales. If you guys don't own any or some of the THQ games, jump on that pack. It's an insane deal. In my case, F'in thing sucks. The only THQ games I"m missing is DOW2, the Full Spectrum games, and Juiced. The latter 2 I couldn't care less about, but just to get the first one, I'm looking at either spending 30 for just the one game or 50 for a bunch of games I already own(which I can't gift or have prorated towards the 50). STALKER COP did it right, why can't THQ?

IMACOMPUTA

Safe Bet said:
All those for less than the price of one new game...

WOW
Yeah, it's an insane value...
but really, I'd only play 2 or 3 of those games. I'd rather put the money towards one game i REALLY want...
like Arma 2..
why don't you ever go on sale, Arma 2??
Why?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Zero Tolerance said:
Obviously not, but what's not obvious is why it isn't.

Chances are since it is an older game it has compatibility issues with the more recent versions of Windows and they are too lazy/aren't allowed to take the time to patch it up. The Thief series only has the most recent one up on Steam for that reason. It's not that hard to figure these things out.

wmat said:
Saint's Row 2 is shit on PC though.

If you've got a quadcore its absolutey the best version of an incredibly awesome game. Its the best game I've played so far this year, its everything GTA4 should have been.

panda21 said:
how much does d2d suck? i've never used it before

They don't, not anymore anyway. They've got a client that offers a lot of features that Steam doesn't have and looks much nicer to boot but best of all its completely optional. Unlimited downloads are standard now as well, they've really upped their game in recent years and I ave no issue with recommending them at all.

poppabk said:
Its no steam that is for sure, you generally get a download of an iso equivalent which you can then install from. It works but it is not very elegant and updates/patches etc are manual rather than automatic. They now have there own 'powered by gamespy' client so I don't know if things have changed.

That used to be the case but not anymore. Its still an option but you can do it "the Steam way" now as well. You get to choose what suits you.

brain_stew said:
If you've got a quadcore its absolutey the best version of an incredibly awesome game. Its the best game I've played so far this year, its everything GTA4 should have been.

You're tempting me to activate my key on steam :lol
Bought it like 4 months ago for 5€ and never opened the box :D

Caesar III said:
You're tempting me to activate my key on steam :lol
Bought it like 4 months ago for 5€ and never opened the box :D

Absolutely do. Its a complete technical mess, absolutely, but if I could put up with it then I'd wager the vast majority could as well, provided you have the prerequisite hardware of course. If you'd enjoyed GTA3 or Vice City then this is the sandbox game you've been waiting for, its the perfect next generation sequel to those games in my eyes. It doesn't take itself seriously and is all the better for it.

It has a whole series of side missions dedicated to covering the city in shit ffs! :lol What's not to love.

Inkwell

Banned
I own both Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky, but they aren't the Steam versions... :(. It would have been nice to get $10 off Call of Pripyat.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
So i just got Mount & Blade, i hope it's good because i didn't even try the demo and only bought it because you guys said it was awesome, let's hope you are right.

fresquito

Gexecuter said:
So i just got Mount & Blade, i hope it's good because i didn't even try the demo and only bought it because you guys said it was awesome, let's hope you are right.
What? :lol

I mean, believing GAF is nice and all, but why wouldn't you first try the demo. It's not like you had to decide in a heartbeat. It's still two days to go until the deal is over.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
fresquito said:
What? :lol

I mean, believing GAF is nice and all, but why wouldn't you first try the demo. It's not like you had to decide in a heartbeat. It's still two days to go until the deal is over.

Actually i had until today to decide because tomorrow i can't deposit money into the account of the guy i use to buy stuff, still i am pretty sure the game is fine...i hope.

brain_stew said:

Whoa whoa whoa ...so Saint's Row 2 is actually playable with a QuadCore?

I bought it on Steam awhile back and of course it was embaressing on my e6600/8800gt.

Think I should redownload with my new q9400/Radeon 5850???

AgentOtaku said:
Whoa whoa whoa ...so Saint's Row 2 is actually playable with a QuadCore?

I bought it on Steam awhile back and of course it was embaressing on my e6600/8800gt.

Think I should redownload with my new q9400/Radeon 5850???

Yes, absolutely. Your framerate will more than double. You'll still get stutters but its a small price to pay for such an awesome game. It was a completely different experience to me when going from a dual to a quad with this game, it went from unplayable to one of the best games I've played within the last couple of years.

brain_stew said:
Yes, absolutely. Your framerate will more than double. You'll still get stutters but its a small price to pay for such an awesome game. It was a completely different experience to me when going from a dual to a quad with this game, it went from unplayable to one of the best games I've played within the last couple of years.

Thanks alot man! Can't wait to reinstall then when I get my motherboard :D

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Gexecuter said:
The game is brilliant.

CoLaN

Gexecuter said:

Since today everyone who owns a Mount & Blade cd-key (if you bought the game on steam, right-click and chose view cd-key) can play Warband Beta, the online multiplayer component of the game

http://beta.taleworlds.com/download.aspx

Sorry if old news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom