• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomper

b.e.r.g said:
Quick Steam question:

A mate is coming over tomorrow to play some L4D. He tried to by it retail, but couldn't find it. So now he has to download it at my place, which I assume will take hours! Is there any way to avoid this? After all I have to game files on my computer, can you use the "backup local files" to transfer a game between accounts like that? Anyone tried?
Yep. Just move the Left 4 Dead files on your PC to his PC's Steam-folder, and Steam will recognize it. No need to redownload stuff, just have Steam verify the files and it should work.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
b.e.r.g said:
Quick Steam question:

A mate is coming over tomorrow to play some L4D. He tried to by it retail, but couldn't find it. So now he has to download it at my place, which I assume will take hours! Is there any way to avoid this? After all I have to game files on my computer, can you use the "backup local files" to transfer a game between accounts like that? Anyone tried?

Just copy the folders/gcf files manually. That should work fine and once they are copied, have him verify the game cache so it can grab and correct any files it needs.

Gowans

Ok guys,

I'm buying the Dawn of War II expansion but man £30?!?! I paid that for the first game, whats the deal.

Also with the pre-purchase I get SR2 for free? Do they take the money straight away?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Yes Steam charge for pre-orders right away which is pretty shit however Play have it for £17.99, and you'll be able to add it to your Steam account anyway.

Gowans

Ikuu said:
Yes Steam charge for pre-orders right away which is pretty shit however Play have it for £17.99, and you'll be able to add it to your Steam account anyway.

Nice play it is, Thanks saved me nearly half the price.

Soule

Yeee just bought shattered horizon, too good to pass up despite having a backlog big enough to drown in.

Quick question, probs the wrong place to ask but why not... just tried playing SF4 for the first time and I just get a big ass black screen when after the launcher pops up and gives me a choice to configure a gamepad, anyone else had this problem/know what could fix it? It just sits there at the black screen after having the normal "press shift tab to access steam community" and shows the game key.

SF4error.jpg

is what it looks like

Psy-Phi

I just tried SF4 for the first time on Windows 7 (bought it so long ago when it was on sale on Steam), no problems, no black screen. Wish I could help. Haven't seen that before but just letting you know it's probably not a common issue.

vocab

Soule said:
Yeee just bought shattered horizon, too good to pass up despite having a backlog big enough to drown in.

Quick question, probs the wrong place to ask but why not... just tried playing SF4 for the first time and I just get a big ass black screen when after the launcher pops up and gives me a choice to configure a gamepad, anyone else had this problem/know what could fix it? It just sits there at the black screen after having the normal "press shift tab to access steam community" and shows the game key.

SF4error.jpg

is what it looks like

Try Alt + enter. What happens? Does sounds even play, or is it just a black screen of nothing?

Soule said:

SF4error.jpg

is what it looks like

If its the same problem I had with MW2, it may be the resolution that is selected isn't compatible with your monitor. Try and change your monitor resolution and then start the game, see what happens. Also try and go into the games folder and see if there is a profile file, delete it and then restart the game.

vocab

Bluemercury said:
is shattered horizon that good? also is super street fighter 4 planned for pc?

It's free weekend. You can play to find out the answer to your question. Also, SSFIV for PC hasn't been announced.

dakilla13

Hey guys, I just saw Metro 2033 added Steamworks. Does that mean I can buy the retail version off of Amazon and add the key to my Steam account?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
LovingSteam said:
If its the same problem I had with MW2, it may be the resolution that is selected isn't compatible with your monitor. Try and change your monitor resolution and then start the game, see what happens. Also try and go into the games folder and see if there is a profile file, delete it and then restart the game.
His resolution won't interfere as he's playing windowed.

Your videocard has Pixel Shader 3? It's necessary for Street Fighter IV.

vocab

dakilla13 said:
Hey guys, I just saw Metro 2033 added Steamworks. Does that mean I can buy the retail version off of Amazon and add the key to my Steam account?

That seems to be the case for all Steamworks games. Buy it off newegg. It's like $36 w/ free 3 day shipping.

Soule

Hey guys just wanted to say thanks for the suggestions, been enjoying shattered horizon and just popped out and tried a few suggestions, unfortunately no dice I think I'll just try reinstalling it next data rollover and see if that makes a difference it worked with mass effect 2 which was giving me hassles before so hopefully it'll work with this :p

Fox the Sly

Soule said:

SF4error.jpg

is what it looks like

Have you tried "-autoconfig" in the game parameters? I don't even know if it'd work, but it's worth trying.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So, anybody in this thread have a rig that can max SH?

At 1680x1050 I can come pretty close, but have to turn AA down to 4x and turn Vsync off to have it actually be any fun.

Damn you Futuremark :lol

vocab

Hawkian said:

At 1680x1050 I can come pretty close, but have to turn AA down to 4x and turn Vsync off to have it actually be any fun.

I can play it maxed out @ 1920 x 1080. The performance decrease with AA on isn't worth it though. If I overclocked my 5850 to it's limit, I'm pretty sure it would be a little better, but still AA kills in this game. I know someone with a Tri SLI setup, and AA crushes his comp.

Gowans

brain_stew said:
STOP!

Go here and save yourself £13:

http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/pc/dawn-of-war-ii-chaos-rising/10064049.html

Its very likely its a Steamworks title like DOW2 so you'll be ale to add it to your Steam list anyway.

It's crazy, I would prefer a code, gona feel bad binning the DVD, oh well a bargins a bargin.

Ikuu said:
Just found out about this site, http://www.find-games.co.uk/, makes it easy to find the cheapest price for games.

Bookmarked, thanks

CoLaN

Hawkian said:

It is smooth for me at 1920x1200, max details, 4xmsaa and 16xaniso (as you can see here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAaWNEM-IYM but the video has a cap of 30fps).

It's gorgeous, and i must say it is much more fun than i expected

PC spec are: i5 750, 4GB RAM and a 5870 on Windows 7 64bit

I posted 2 screens on the PC 2010 highres screenshots thread

Somnia

So this is the only place I can think of asking about this, but I purchased something today on Steam and got the "Your transaction is pending you will be notified when it has been approved" or that's the basic idea behind it. Anyone know how long it takes for this to get fixed usually? Doesn't make sense to me considering I have plenty of money in my account.

Faxanadu

Somnia said:
So this is the only place I can think of asking about this, but I purchased something today on Steam and got the "Your transaction is pending you will be notified when it has been approved" or that's the basic idea behind it. Anyone know how long it takes for this to get fixed usually? Doesn't make sense to me considering I have plenty of money in my account.

I never saw that message. I use a CC and it's instant everytime. Do you have it linked to a checking account or something? That could be why.

Somnia said:

It is usually instant, but there are a few exceptions. The exceptions are mainly MMOs that require verification before a key is assigned to the downloadable version. Aion, Champions Online, and I think Star Trek are the only MMOs that require this and they require it for all downloadable versions (Direct2Drive, Impulse, and Steam).

Somnia

crimsonheadGCN said:
It is usually instant, but there are a few exceptions. The exceptions are mainly MMOs that require verification before a key is assigned to the downloadable version. Aion, Champions Online, and I think Star Trek are the only MMOs that require this and they require it for all downloadable versions (Direct2Drive, Impulse, and Steam).

Ah ok that makes sense then. Thanks much.

x3sphere

Hawkian said:

At 1920x1200 I can with my 5970. Not at 2560x1600, though, have to disable AA to maintain a smooth frame rate.

Can someone who plays Shattered Horizon tell me if the server population looks like it improved since the weekend sale? I'm loved the game but I'm thinking maybe I should wait until it has a bigger player base if the servers are still as empty as they were before.

Is anyone else's Steam program broken? It tried to update to the new client version, and in doing so it fucked itself sideways. I've tried everything. When I install Steam, (With a fresh .msi from the steam website) it will install fine. But when it tries to update itself, it gets to 27% and then crashes. I get this error: "Steam.exe (main exception): ERROR: deleted Steam.exe but the file is still there"

Apparently a lot of people are having this problem. HALP?

I've scoured the internet, and I've found about a million different way to fix it, and none of them have worked. I've uninstalled my AVG and turned off my firewall. I shut off just about everything else when trying to update it. nothing works.

tha fuck, steam.

I <3 Memes said:
Can someone who plays Shattered Horizon tell me if the server population looks like it improved since the weekend sale? I'm loved the game but I'm thinking maybe I should wait until it has a bigger player base if the servers are still as empty as they were before.
I don't quite understand this but the server browser is saying stuff like 320/32 players :lol wtf happened today?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
wmat said:
Well, why did you freakin' play it for 30 hours if it sucked so much? Out of obligation or something?
The plot thickens.
It's hard to win an arguments against you, even tho this argument is about his opinion, huh?

He says he didn't like the game, then you ask him if he ever played it. He did, he gives you proof that he played it for over 30 hours and now you're telling him he played the game too much to have a negative opinion on it?

Let the dude think GTA 4 suck. He's not wrong, after all.

Okay now, hold on. So after it tries to update and fails, steam.exe eventually deletes itself (it won't let you delete it manually) So then I renamed SteamTMP.exe to Steam.exe, and then the new Steam.exe gets to 27% and gives me the error: cannot open Steamnew.exe for writing (something like that, it closed itself)

Once again, AVG is uninstalled, and firewall is off.

vocab

I <3 Memes said:

It's improved a lot. It needs a few more US servers, and it's good to go for a while. This reminds me when Killing Floor first started.

vocab said:
It's improved a lot. It needs a few more US servers, and it's good to go for a while. This reminds me when Killing Floor first started.

Bought it. :D

Since I first played it I've been saying that it's like Counter-Strike in space.

SundaySounds said:
Seriously, I'm so fucking pissed at steam.

SundaySounds did you already have steam installed and this happened during a routine update?

I <3 Memes said:
SundaySounds did you already have steam installed and this happened during a routine update?

Originally, yes. Then I tried to reinstall it. and so, here we are. Before the steam client update, It's worked fine for a long time.

SundaySounds said:
Originally, yes. Then I tried to reinstall it. and so, here we are. Before the steam client update, It's worked fine for a long time.

Never had your problem before. Hmm. Others have had problems with the most recent client update, as offline mode no longer works. Have you tried asking on the official Steam forums?

IMACOMPUTA

Got Dirt2 free with my 5850.
I get weird graphical glitches though... anyone have an idea as to why this might be happening?
Specs:
i5 750
ATI 5850
4gb RAM
Windows 7 x64 professional

These weird lines pop out of all kinds of things while driving. It happens frequently and really quickly.
dirt2_game%202010-02-21%2016-24-05-40.png

and
dirt2_game%202010-02-21%2016-24-07-63.png

TheExodu5

Banned
wmat said:
Well, why did you freakin' play it for 30 hours if it sucked so much? Out of obligation or something?
The plot thickens.

I also think the game sucks, and have bought it on both PS3 and PC. Doesn't mean I didn't think it was worth $8 to screw around in the sandbox.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Those are artifacts, IMACOMPUTA. Try underclocking and see if they go away. If they do then your card can't handle the stock clocks. If they don't then you might have a bad core.

Well folks Ubi has officially made it so I will not buy anymore of their games, even on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/33230/

A PERMANENT HIGH SPEED INTERNET CONNECTION AND CREATION OF A UBISOFT ACCOUNT ARE REQUIRED TO PLAY THIS VIDEO GAME AT ALL TIMES AND TO UNLOCK EXCLUSIVE CONTENT. SUCH CONTENT MAY ONLY BE UNLOCKED ONE SINGLE TIME WITH A UNIQUE KEY. YOU MUST BE AT LEAST 13 TO CREATE A UBISOFT ACCOUNT WITHOUT PARENTAL CONSENT. UBISOFT MAY CANCEL ACCESS TO ONLINE FEATURES UPON A 30-DAY PRIOR NOTICE PUBLISHED AT http://assassinscreed.com

Bravo Ubi, bravo!

BTW, Ass Creed 2 is up for $59.95 pre purchase and so is Supreme Commander for $44.95.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom