• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

coopolon

LovingSteam said:
Yea. A mod on the forums said Valve is aware of the problem and will issue a fix soon.

You know, I love Steam, I really do. But it clearly still has issues. Offline mode is really fundamental to making their DRM acceptable, and breaking it with an update is completely unacceptable. I was on a road trip last weekend where I planned to spend most of my time playing Steam games, and the entire time I couldn't and it was really frustrating.

Throughout this thread and others, people have adamantly defended Steam's offline mode when others have complained that it is not 100% reliable, clearly the complainers were right.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
coopolon said:
Throughout this thread and others, people have adamantly defended Steam's offline mode when others have complained that it is not 100% reliable, clearly the complainers were right.

I had an issue for years with offline mode where I'd have to use Steam in online mode, load up the games I wish to play offline, and finally actually set Steam to offline mode. All this had to be done within the same instance of the program.

Pissed me off to no end.

I'm yet to have any major problems with offline mode, for a few times when our internet has been down (and it was actually broken just before christmas, tech guy had to come out) when I started steam it would tell me no internet was found and do I want to start in offline mode, worked a treat for my non multiplayer games. And then when the internet was back all I had to do was restart steam and it would connect as always.

The only time I have had problems with it was a good year or two ago on my old computer where it would just refuse to start, but I blame my old shitty pc for that problem.

However it sucks that valve released a steam update which broke the whole offline thing, it should be one of the key settings they check for every update they do, it's quite important.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
kamspy said:
The more people who buy it, the more chance it has for a proper back lashing.
I actually agree with this. I would rather see the game sell great and Ubitsoft see a massive backlash from PAYING customers, rather than see it not sell and Ubi use it as an excuse to drop PC support. The only thing voting with your wallet tends to do (aside from yearly franchise titles) is tells the publishers you don't want that type of game on that platform.

also hoping for a crappy mid-week deal... I HAVE NO MONEY LEFT FROM THIS DAMN EXPENSIVE WEEK!!!!

Lothars

Danneee said:
I'm hoping for Batman AA or Burnout Paradise...

I hope for Burnout Paradise but since it sounded like they are not releasing any of the other content for it than I am not sure if I would go for it.

I wouldn't complain if they had a Global Agenda sale.

Danneee

Lothars said:
I hope for Burnout Paradise but since it sounded like they are not releasing any of the other content for it than I am not sure if I would go for it.

Yeah that sucks, altough the game is pretty substantial even without it.

Lothars

roMonster said:
I think everyone here should purchase AC2 just to show Ubisoft that they have our support in the battle against piracy.

Never will happen, I will not buy AC2 for PC until they change their policy.

vocab

Sir Garbageman said:
Been waiting on Fallout 1 & 2 or Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines to go up on sale. Need some old school RPG goodness on the cheap.

I'll take anything thats good, and cheap. I don't want to see shitty deals like MW2 mid week madness $50 until Thursday!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
roMonster said:
I think everyone here should purchase AC2 just to show Ubisoft that they have our support in the battle against piracy.
I think we should all buy it to show that we support the $60 price point for PC games, especially if it reduces the wait time between console and PC release to only 6 months.

I don't think Bloodlines will ever go on sale. It didn't get any kind of discount at all during the Christmas sale IIRC.

EDIT: and it's not really "old school". It's running on the Source engine, though, I suppose it has been 6 years now. :lol

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Yeah, I need a new game. Somehow I've found the time to beat, like, 5 games in the last month. Most of them were already half-done, but still, I need some new shit. Mid-week deal better pull through.

I'm hoping for FEAR 2 personally.

I would double dip with fallout 3 goty at a good price, since I do not own any of the dlc on the 360.

Fuck now I am in a steam offer waiting mood, need to chill :lol

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
LovingSteam said:
Well folks Ubi has officially made it so I will not buy anymore of their games, even on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/33230/

A PERMANENT HIGH SPEED INTERNET CONNECTION AND CREATION OF A UBISOFT ACCOUNT ARE REQUIRED TO PLAY THIS VIDEO GAME AT ALL TIMES AND TO UNLOCK EXCLUSIVE CONTENT. SUCH CONTENT MAY ONLY BE UNLOCKED ONE SINGLE TIME WITH A UNIQUE KEY. YOU MUST BE AT LEAST 13 TO CREATE A UBISOFT ACCOUNT WITHOUT PARENTAL CONSENT. UBISOFT MAY CANCEL ACCESS TO ONLINE FEATURES UPON A 30-DAY PRIOR NOTICE PUBLISHED AT http://assassinscreed.com

Bravo Ubi, bravo!

BTW, Ass Creed 2 is up for $59.95 pre purchase and so is Supreme Commander for $44.95.
I really hate Ubisoft for forcing me to not buy a game I really want to play. :(

Spwn

nacire said:
I really want Stalker to go on sale. I've never played it and I just built a new rig. :D

The chances for that are quite slim as it hasn't been that long since the last time it was on sale.

Still hoping for a Defcon sale. Please, Introversion! Cast resurrection on this great game!

epmode

Sir Garbageman said:
Been waiting on Fallout 1 & 2 or Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines to go up on sale. Need some old school RPG goodness on the cheap.
Fallout 1 & 2 are $6 each on GOG.

And Bloodlines is well worth the $20 but I guess I can understand that complaint. A little.

forrest

formerly nacire
Spwn said:
The chances for that are quite slim as it hasn't been that long since the last time it was on sale.

Still hoping for a Defcon sale. Please, Introversion! Cast resurrection on this great game!

Damn it! I guess I'll go back to waiting! :lol

epmode said:
Fallout 1 & 2 are $6 each on GOG.
And Bloodlines is well worth the $20 but I guess I can understand that complaint. A little.

Thanks for the heads up, I forget that GOG exists sometimes. As for Bloodlines, I've only heard good things about it, if I clear out my backlog before it goes on sale I'll def pick it up at $20. The crazy holiday sale has spoiled me though.

Twig

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
I really hate Ubisoft for forcing me to not buy a game I really want to play. :(
Yeah I remember after finishing AC1 really looking forward to AC2 in the hopes they would fix the few problems I had with the first game.

Now I know they HAVE fixed those problems.

):

It is possible that Global Agenda may have a sale and a free weekend in the coming week. A major content update is coming in the next week for the subscription part of the game and they've extended the free period on subscriptions till the end the March.

It's a really nice game, but it lacks content in some areas like the AvA subscription part from what I've heard and the PvE part from what I've played. PvP is good though and it has a good amount of maps and modes.

Also, the drama is good so far. There's a member of my agency, GoonAgenda, that has managed to infiltrate several other agencies and clear out their banks. He even managed to talk one of the leaders of the most powerful Agencies in the game currently to give him an officer role, which he then used to buy a piece of the map with all the funds that the agency had. Because of this, the Agency was not able to pay their taxes and it was disbanded. This caused the Agency to lose it's control over all the land that it acquired over a two week period, which was a lot.

kamspy

brain_stew said:
No midweek madness?

We're all waiting with baited breath. If there's no mid-week madness, then there can be no mid-week....

That's some universe ending paradoxical shit right there. Fix it Valve. It's not time.
yet

graywolf323

brain_stew said:
No midweek madness?

they usually don't do stuff until around 1PM EST

it's only just after 9am on the west coast after all

so be patient :p

Lostconfused said:
But it did go on sale for $10 at least once. Because that's when I got it.

Halloween 2008

I remember because I ended up passing do to not having a computer that could run it

greatly regret that now that I do have a computer that can run it >_<

Erasus

Hoping for a Oblivion/Fallout 3 combo for 20 (or cheaper :p)

Batman/Burnout would be nice.

Then again I have too many games :lol

Garou

Wings of Prey is available for 50% off until Thursday!

Wings of Prey is based around the large-scale aerial combat and ground military operations of World War II. Players can participate in some of the war's most famous battles piloting fighters, battle planes and bombers across a range of thrilling missions.

kamspy

3 activation limit.

piercenah-1.gif

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Sir Garbageman said:
Thanks for the heads up, I forget that GOG exists sometimes. As for Bloodlines, I've only heard good things about it, if I clear out my backlog before it goes on sale I'll def pick it up at $20. The crazy holiday sale has spoiled me though.

Yeah, don't want to pimp gog in Steam thread but when you buy fallout from gog you also get

manual (124 pages)
hi-res wallpaper
Fallout series wallpaper
Fallout Bible (205 pages)
reference card
in-game soundtrack
original soundtrack
artworks
PipBoy avatars

Not really that much but still I think gog does good work with their goodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom