• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

panda21

is this in europe? steam has gone all weird for me, its showing wings of prey as the usual price, and it looks like the wings of prey midweek news thing that was there a minute ago has disappeared.

they also had napoleon t-wars down for today in europe but when the countdown ended it just went to being friday or something

panda21

wait i thought starforce wasn't allowed on steam? i know they let people use other 3 installs only type schemes sometimes but i seem to remember reading that they didnt allow starforce because it sucks so much.

and the devs/publishers didnt even bother mentioning the DRM on the steam page at first because 'every steam game has drm'? that makes me confident that they will handle my request for extra activations in a friendly and timely manner.

its not in the news still but wings of prey is £15 in the uk store now so i guess this is it :( meh

Danneee

Damn, it looks like a fun game but I will never buy a game that have stupid DRM. Found Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box DDL cheap though: €10 in a Swedish store. Dont know if you can buy it from outside of Sweden but heres the link: http://spelbutiken.telia.se/product/lp14761/burnout-paradise-ultimate-box/

Diablohead said:
Not seen my UK steam update at all yet, wonder if we are getting the same deal or not.

It's there though, just use the search function.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
what is activation limit? Number of computers you can simultaneously play it on or total number of computers you can consecutively install it on before it stops downloading/installing?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Danneee said:
Damn, it looks like a fun game but I will never buy a game that have stupid DRM. Found Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box DDL cheap though: €10 in a Swedish store. Dont know if you can buy it from outside of Sweden but heres the link: http://spelbutiken.telia.se/product/lp14761/burnout-paradise-ultimate-box/

It's there though, just use the search function.
Retail version of Burnout uses StarForce.
You can "de-activate" an installation and get your activation back, but it's still there.

panda21 said:
wait i thought starforce wasn't allowed on steam? i know they let people use other 3 installs only type schemes sometimes but i seem to remember reading that they didnt allow starforce because it sucks so much.

and the devs/publishers didnt even bother mentioning the DRM on the steam page at first because 'every steam game has drm'? that makes me confident that they will handle my request for extra activations in a friendly and timely manner.

its not in the news still but wings of prey is £15 in the uk store now so i guess this is it :( meh

It's not like the old Starforce DRM scheme. It's a new web-based DRM scheme developed by the same people though. Basically like Ubisoft's new DRM scheme, but there is an offline mode supposedly.

borghe said:
what is activation limit? Number of computers you can simultaneously play it on or total number of computers you can consecutively install it on before it stops downloading/installing?

According to a Valve employee:

DerrickG said:
The DRM for Wings of Prey has a 3 limit activation. However, if you hit your 3 limit activation you can contact Gaijin's support and receive up to 10 more activations.

Please do not contact Steam Support to receive these as they cannot assist with these requests.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13025761&postcount=1

Danneee

Lyphen said:
Retail version of Burnout uses StarForce.
You can "de-activate" an installation and get your activation back, but it's still there.

Oh, but I linked an downloadable version. I guess it doesnt have StarForce? I sent a email asking their customer service anyhow.

panda21

crimsonheadGCN said:
It's not the Starforce DRM scheme. It's supposedly a new web-based DRM scheme developed by the same people though. Basically like Ubisoft's new DRM scheme, but there is an offline mode supposedly.

on the wings of prey steam page it says 'FrontLine ProActive 3 machine activation limit', i just googled that and its starforce.

do you mean the yuplay thing? i think thats some kind of other digital distribution shop thing they have going on as well as selling it on steam, but its not in the steam game afaik.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Oh well. Probably not a game I'd buy for $25 in the first place, but the DRM thing just solidifies this as a not-buy. Graphics do look excellent though.

Dammit, Wings of Prey is tempting :lol I just preordered BFBC2 the other day and swore to not make any more big purchases for the next few months. Might not be able to keep that.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
what's the multi-player community like for wings of prey? i basically want the hardcore il2 competitive arena experience but with pretties. none of that gamepad/flying aid nonsense.

Volcynika

MmmSkyscraper said:
I guess that Europe in Steam terminology excludes the UK, still getting an unlock timer with no price...

Well the whole news post

Supreme Commander 2 is now available for pre-purchase in Europe & other territories!

In Supreme Commander 2, players will experience brutal battles on a massive scale! Players will wage war by creating enormous customizable armies and experimental war machines that can change the balance of power at any given moment.

Supreme Commander 2 will be available for pre-purchase in the United Kingdom soon.

careksims

Damn that Wings of Prey! I really want it, but I'll wait til it gets cheaper... that DRM grrrr.

Oh yeah that Steam update killed my friends/community page too. LOL!

coopolon

Thank God we're past the days where Steam was so unstable...

I half kid, am half serious, I love steam. But I just remember when Steam first launched friend lists were basically broken all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom