• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Really like the new UI, but hope they give you the option of choosing the icons/backgrounds for games that lack them. The icon in the middle of a button for Painkiller for example looks lame, as do my non-steam games.

Gowans

If I'm planning on installing Win 7 64 on my system (getting rid on XP) can I copy my steam folder on a USB HD or somewhere so I don't have to re-download? (guessing I can due to the backup option) How easy is it?

alisdair

It's trivial. Copy the Steam/steamapps folder to your USB disk, reinstall Windows, install Steam again, then quit and move the backup steamapps folder into your new Steam folder. It just works.

Steam will be in Program Files x86 on your reinstall, by the way.

vocab

Can someone explain the DRM on Stalker Clear Sky? It's Tages, but no activation limit. So what does this certain verssion of Tages do?

Slavik81

alisdair said:
It's trivial. Copy the Steam/steamapps folder to your USB disk, reinstall Windows, install Steam again, then quit and move the backup steamapps folder into your new Steam folder. It just works.

Steam will be in Program Files x86 on your reinstall, by the way.
Note that this won't catch your save games. Those you'll have to hunt for.

vocab said:
Can someone explain the DRM on Stalker Clear Sky? It's Tages, but no activation limit. So what does this certain verssion of Tages do?

It's just tages, but if you install more than 3 times, it won't stop you. I'm guessing it's just there to make sure that one copy isn't being used 1000 times or something. Clear Sky did used to have install limits, so that's why it exists in the first place.

Struct09

Slavik81 said:
Note that this won't catch your save games. Those you'll have to hunt for.

Yeah, and if you were playing any GFWL games and want to restore the saves, you'll have to copy over your profile as well. There's guides out there how to do it, I was able to transfer my Batman save just fine.

Gowans007 said:
If I'm planning on installing Win 7 64 on my system (getting rid on XP) can I copy my steam folder on a USB HD or somewhere so I don't have to re-download? (guessing I can due to the backup option) How easy is it?

Yeah, just back up your whole steamapps folder.

forrest

formerly nacire
Does Crysis, Warhead or Maximum Edition ever go on sale?

Also someone mentioned Stalker SoC was on sale not too long ago, should I pick it up on Amazon for $10 or wait for Steam to put it on sale again?

Offline mode is still not working for me. Same message: "Could not connect to the Steam network... yada yada yada." Anybody else still have that problem?

vid

Is anyone else getting a sort of iTunes/Zune feeling from the new Steam interface? I have to say, I like it so far, apart from the minor bugs that haven't been squashed just yet. Point to Valve.

Edit: I might just be overlooking something, but I can't seem to find a way to collapse the interface into just the small games list, though. That was something I appreciated in the previous UI, and certainly hope it wasn't removed as part of the update.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Hasphat6462 said:
Offline mode is still not working for me. Same message: "Could not connect to the Steam network... yada yada yada." Anybody else still have that problem?
Just tried in the new UI and offline was working, however mine wasn't broken in the pre-beta update. The lack of icons in offline mode is annoying though, they really need to cache that stuff locally, for bandwidth, offline, usability, speed and just plain common sense reasons.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Lyphen said:
Trying to get us to bring up GTA4 or something?
Not really :lol

I'm just still bitter that I bought it and it sucked so hard performance-wise. Might never get over this.

Javaman

Nabs said:
ooh. does it matter where you buy from?

Nope, it's one of the few games that you can activate on Steam. I bought my copy on D2D during a sale months ago for like $5. I didn't have to DL it through them or anything. Just make sure wherever you get it from gives you a cd key and enter that into Steam.

wmat said:
Not really :lol

I'm just still bitter that I bought it and it sucked so hard performance-wise. Might never get over this.
It's not bad performance wise at all, it may of been at launch I'm not sure, but now after all the patches and everything it runs fine. I have it on PS3 personally but I know someone who bought it on PC running a mid-range Quad Core and 4870 and they're able to max it out without issue. On my weak-ass 2.2Ghz Dual Core and 8800GT I'm able to max it out except for some of the superfluous post-processing effects (that aren't on console anyways) and maintain 40-60 FPS at 1080p.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Houston3000 said:
It's not bad performance wise at all, it may of been at launch I'm not sure, but now after all the patches and everything it runs fine. I have it on PS3 personally but I know someone who bought it on PC running a mid-range Quad Core and 4870 and they're able to max it out without issue. On my weak-ass 2.2Ghz Dual Core and 8800GT I'm able to max it out except for some of the superfluous post-processing effects (that aren't on console anyways) and maintain 40-60 FPS at 1080p.
Yeah, yeah.. Read this a few times already, others say the same in here; it's just not how it looks on my machine though. It runs like ass here. And my PC is yours x1.5 or so (same gfx card, Phenom 2 quadcore).

It's the only game I have that runs like ass, and I have games like ArmA2 and Crysis.

So this is definitely a YMMV on PC, obviously.. If it runs like ass, it's unplayable, so it's a waste of time. I'd rather get a mediocre iPhone game than a shoddy PC title, really. I really can't recommend it unless you get it for free or on console.

Introdacqua

Neo Member
Yep, Saints Row 2 is simply unplayable on both my Q95500 GTX260 and my i7 5870 machines. The driving is just so frustrating, its pretty much impossible.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
hammerfight keeps getting better. just fought off a horde of lizards with a giant scimitar for the amusement of my jeering captors.

your world is smaller without it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Introdacqua said:
Yep, Saints Row 2 is simply unplayable on both my Q95500 GTX260 and my i7 5870 machines. The driving is just so frustrating, its pretty much impossible.
I'm astonished that they haven't patched it yet. They should be embarrassed.

Quagm1r3

DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE BETA IF YOU HAVE MW2. I lost a whole bunch of data and basically had to reinstall the game. On top of that, after I reinstalled it, I tried launching MW2 Multiplayer only to get "error: Could not find blah blah blah".

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Quagm1r3 said:
DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE BETA IF YOU HAVE MW2. I lost a whole bunch of data and basically had to reinstall the game. On top of that, after I reinstalled it, I tried launching MW2 Multiplayer only to get "error: Could not find blah blah blah".

i think steam's trying to tell you something.

never forget.

Ikuu said:
Not a deal from Steam, but you can get Saints Row 2 from the THQ Store for £2.50 and then add it to Steam.

If you have a quad core and an 8800GT or better then buy this people, such an awesome game. Yes, its a technical mess but if I can get over it then most others will as well.

fallen_elite

Neo Member
Quagm1r3 said:
After you finish downloading a game > right click > backup game files. I had the same problem with MW2 btw and just deleted local content and installed the backup file and sure enough it worked. Always back up your games the proper way (ie through Steam, not the copy paste Steam folder method, unless the Steam backup doesn't work). :D

Old Lace

So, I preordered Chaos Rising, but I don't see Saints Row 2 in my games list. Am I just missing it or is there something I'm supposed to do?

vocab

Old Lace said:
So, I preordered Chaos Rising, but I don't see Saints Row 2 in my games list. Am I just missing it or is there something I'm supposed to do?

Restart steam? If it's not there, contact support.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Old Lace said:

Check your gift list, both myself and my friend had the game automatically put itself in our gift list instead of adding normally. We had to gift our copies to each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom