• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamspy

Doomslayer said:
Is it possible to buy this outside of Europe? I live in Australia and I keep getting a payment refused error.

Worked for me in the US with a US credit card. Just copy/paste the CD key and letting steam download it now.

Visa did the conversion. Comes to $3.50-ish. Already checked the bank.

kamspy

Doomslayer said:
Is it possible to buy this outside of Europe? I live in Australia and I keep getting a payment refused error.

I bought a few extra keys. Is there anything on the Aussie Steam store you could gift me of equal value for one?

Shoot me a PM if your interested.

brain_stew said:
If you have a quad core and an 8800GT or better then buy this people, such an awesome game. Yes, its a technical mess but if I can get over it then most others will as well.
Is Red Faction: Guerrilla a good indicator as to how Saints Row 2 would run? I don't know if they use similar engines or not, but they're both Volition games.

kamspy

Buttonbasher said:
Is Red Faction: Guerrilla a good indicator as to how Saints Row 2 would run? I don't know if they use similar engines or not, but they're both Volition games.

If you don't have a quad you'll be lucky to get console performance.

With a quad your maxing it out no matter what (well, for the most part).

kamspy said:
If you don't have a quad you'll be lucky to get console performance.

With a quad your maxing it out no matter what (well, for the most part).
I was just curious. Red Faction gave me a lot of problems before the patch, but since then it runs great in a window (It's a game I like to alt+tab out of anyway). I just wondered if the problems between the two games were similar. It sounds more risky than the problems people had with RF:G though, so I figured I'd ask.

kamspy

Buttonbasher said:
I was just curious. Red Faction gave me a lot of problems before the patch, but since then it runs great in a window (It's a game I like to alt+tab out of anyway). I just wondered if the problems between the two games were similar. It sounds more risky than the problems people had with RF:G though, so I figured I'd ask.

Yeah it's a bit rougher than RFG, but when you run it on a quad it's smoother than RFG on a quad. Hard to explain. Weird optimization.

If you have a quad and a ~8800-ish GPU you'll run it fine. For $3 you can't go wrong.

Danneee

kamspy said:
For $3 you can't go wrong.

My thoughts exactly.

edit: If I turn off motion blur and set ambient occlusion and lighting to simple the game runs pretty well on my laptop with an i3 processor and ATI5650 graphics. Awful control though and I'll wait til my joypad arrives before I try it again.

Volcynika

http://store.steampowered.com/news/3523/

Dawn of Discovery: Venice Now Available
February 25, 2010, 11:17 am - Valve - Product Release
Dawn of Discovery™: Venice, the add-on to the acclaimed real-time strategy game Dawn of Discovery is now available for customers in North, Central, and South America. Expand your Dawn of Discovery game with 300 quests, 60 items, new multiplayer modes, and the new Venetian setting.

Dawn of Discovery: Venice requires the Steam version of the original Dawn of Discovery to play.

Doytch

Let me know when they drop TAGES from the Steam version. Seriously how stupid does Ubi have to be to drop it from retail copies and not Steam copies.

kswiston

Doytch said:
Let me know when they drop TAGES from the Steam version. Seriously how stupid does Ubi have to be to drop it from retail copies and not Steam copies.

Could be worse

Title: Assassin's Creed 2
Genre: Action, Adventure
Developer: Ubisoft Montreal
Publisher: Ubisoft
Release Date: 9 March 2010
Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish
3rd-party DRM: Ubisoft’s Online Services Platform. Ubisoft requires a permanent Internet connection to play this video game at all times.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Goddamnit, is there a reason my games are downloading so slow? I bought Stalker: Clear Sky and it's STILL downloading from last night. I think it actually went BACKWARDS. it WAS at around 90% this morning and now it's back down to 40%, while it was at 25% not too long ago. But in any case, it's only be sitting at around 30-60 KB/s and it's really driving me up a wall. Anyone know how to fix this?

Edit:
It looks like it's just an update, but my principle remains...

vocab

doomed1 said:
Goddamnit, is there a reason my games are downloading so slow? I bought Stalker: Clear Sky and it's STILL downloading from last night. I think it actually went BACKWARDS. it WAS at around 90% this morning and now it's back down to 40%, while it was at 25% not too long ago. But in any case, it's only be sitting at around 30-60 KB/s and it's really driving me up a wall. Anyone know how to fix this?

Change connection type or even download location.

Zzoram

kswiston said:
Could be worse

Title: Assassin's Creed 2
Genre: Action, Adventure
Developer: Ubisoft Montreal
Publisher: Ubisoft
Release Date: 9 March 2010
Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish
3rd-party DRM: Ubisoft’s Online Services Platform. Ubisoft requires a permanent Internet connection to play this video game at all times.

I actually prefer that to TAGES. I just hate limited activations.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
careksims said:
Yeah it's at least better than the activations. What I don't like for AssCreed 2 is the price. $60? Ugh.
No, that's worse than the activations. How many computers are you realistically going to install a game on? All you need to do to get more is a simple phone call if you run out of them. The needing to be online thing is far more invasive and restrictive.

Zzoram

BobsRevenge said:
No, that's worse than the activations. How many computers are you realistically going to install a game on? All you need to do to get more is a simple phone call if you run out of them. The needing to be online thing is far more invasive and restrictive.

If my computer ever loses its Internet connection, I sit frustrated for 5 minutes waiting for the issue to resolve itself. If it doesn't, I go and reset my router. If that doesn't fix it, I reset my modem. If that doesn't fix it, I call/sms local friends to see if they have the same problem. If they don't, I call my ISP. Otherwise, meet up with some friends for a coffee or watch TV if no one is around.

I never use a computer without Internet. In fact, I am of the belief that a computer without Internet is worthless.

I may not realistically use more than 5 activations of any game, but 3 activations are definitely possible to exceed for a PC game. Especially with Steam, since my games library will follow me with every reformat or new PC for as long as Steam exists, making it easier to reinstall old games out of nostalgia.

kswiston

doomed1 said:
shit... how much is the individual DLC?

If you are interested in DLC, get the GOTY edition. Pretty sure DLC is still $10 each. So for the price of two extra DLC packs, you get the others free in the GOTY edition.

Pretty sure DLC is bought and managed through Games for Windows Live. Not Steam.

kuYuri

careksims said:
Yeah it's at least better than the activations. What I don't like for AssCreed 2 is the price. $60? Ugh.

$50 game + $4 Battle of Forli + $7 Bonfire of the Vanities (or $4 Bonfire of the Vanities, if it doesn't include those three maps) = $60 ACII.

PC gamers don't care anyway.

John

Strider2K99 said:
$50 game + $4 Battle of Forli + $7 Bonfire of the Vanities (or $4 Bonfire of the Vanities, if it doesn't include those three maps) = $60 ACII.
The DLC is worth $0, since it's so bad.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
kswiston said:
If you are interested in DLC, get the GOTY edition. Pretty sure DLC is still $10 each. So for the price of two extra DLC packs, you get the others free in the GOTY edition.

Pretty sure DLC is bought and managed through Games for Windows Live. Not Steam.
Yeah, I think I'll just wait and buy the GOTY edition...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
sillymonkey321 said:
So what do you guys think of Spellforce? It sounds like it can run on my laptop so i'm intrigued.

Spellforce 2 is really really good. A great blend of RPG and RTS, also has a nice level of challenge as well. I've never played the first one so I can't comment on that.

ThatGuy

To clear up the TAGES confusion you have 3 activations with Anno 1404 Venice. BUT you get every month one activation back up to 3. That was posted in the official boards of the game.

careksims said:
Is there DLC available on Steam? I bought the original Fallout 3 and I like to have the dlc :(

You have to create a Window Live account (or whatever that stuff is called) and purchase the DLC from them. It is done through the main screen of the game, as far as I know.

I think each DLC was something like $10. I don't remember exactly, I only bought the Brotherhood of Steel one.

Danneee

Does anyone else get errors when they try to buy something through steam? My cc is refused but it doesn't say why. And steam doesn't accept PayPal either.

edit: I tried with both the website and client.

IceMarker

I just bought the pre-order for Bad Company 2, and I heard about the 'day one DLC' that EA is offering, will I still get the code for the DLC somehow even though it's not the retail version?

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
crimsonheadGCN said:
Supreme Commander 2 is now available for pre-load:

So glad I didn't pre-order that... The demo, it burns!

More fool me for not buying DAO when it was 25% off at Xmas. Maybe there'll be a deal on the full game connected with the release of the expansion. Amazon UK are selling DAO for half the Steam price atm, luckily Borderlands is keeping me distracted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom