• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doytch

Lostconfused said:
Still pretty good for a game that's 1 year old now and has an expansion on the way.
Yeah, honestly I wasn't a big fan of the MP demo, but the idea of the SP and co-op is good enough for a cheap-skate like me to drop <$10 on.

LocoMrPollock said:
Anyone figure out how to use the bonus code or what it's for?
Have to go through GFWL to activate it.
Doytch said:
Yeah, honestly I wasn't a big fan of the MP demo, but the idea of the SP and co-op is good enough for a cheap-skate like me to drop <$10 on.
I think there is also a horde type online mode now. Where its 4 players against waves of enemies.

Nabs said:
sheeeiit. ive been meaning to pick it up on pc. such a great game.

Do it!

They really went all out with the PC version. It has separate profiles for keyboard, 360 controller and mouse control, it looks excellent in high resolution and the Steamworks integration is top drawer (achievements, cloud saves, automatic creation of a save profile with your username, the works), plus they've released some new levels as free DLC as well. I recommend everyone picks it up actually, I've never seen such effort put into a port of a $5 game, and when the base game is this good its just a no brainer.

Toki Tori is one of the best deals on Steam, full stop. Everyone jump on it, you guys know you can trust me! :lol

Edit: Oh and DOW 2 bought. :)

Dipswitch

Does anyone know if credit cards typically jam you up for exchange rate conversion fees? I wanna get DOW2 from the THQ UK site, but I don't wanna get screwed with any necessary fees if I can help it.

j-wood

The beta for the new UI KILLED left 4 dead 2 for me.

I don't know why, but when I enabled it, my fps in the game dropped down to 10-15. I switched back to the old interface, and I was back up to 60. Wasn't my connection either, my ping was 65

Dipswitch said:
Does anyone know if credit cards typically jam you up for exchange rate conversion fees? I wanna get DOW2 from the THQ UK site, but I don't wanna get screwed with any necessary fees if I can help it.

Yes, they'll usually charge you a set fee, its like £1.50-£2 for me, so probably $2-$3 in the US. Buy through Paypal, the conversion rate will be slightly worse but they don't charge a conversion fee and they'll debit your card in your local currency so you'll know exactly how much you're paying.

Backing up steam games to dvd is good but it really shows me how we right now need cheap affordable blu-ray burners, give them a few years and then I can bung all my steam collection onto a dual layer BD :D or two.

I have a bunch of those real thin dvd boxes so I printed off some home made sleeves for games like shattered horizon that do not have box arts.

Dipswitch said:
If you have a card issued by MBNA Europe, then you likely won't have to pay a conversion surcharge and in my experience the exchange rate is better than PayPal's (or closer to the interbank rate) although it will depend on the day and your specific card brand.

With debit cards, the majority of issuers will charge a fee.

[EDIT - Me being an idiot, I got your location the wrong way round. But check with your bank though as as long as they don't charge a fee for the actual conversion, you'll likely find that the exchange rate is better than PayPal's which typically isn't that good.]

panda21

argghh so tempting. do those thq deals dissappear quickly? i saw about the saints row 2 one but it was £20 when i checked..

you get to fight stuff other than the orks in dawn of war 2 right? i thought the orks in the demo were really irritating (over the top british accents annoy me)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
brain_stew said:
Toki Tori is one of the best deals on Steam, full stop. Everyone jump on it, you guys know you can trust me! :lol

Except there's no deal for it? It shows fullprice (5 usd) to me.

Nabs

drizzle said:

it's worth way more than 5 bucks.

ah fuck i waited too long to pick up saints row 2 from thqs site. >:|

drizzle said:

Who says a game has to be on sale to be a good deal? Its the equivalent to your average $15-$20 AAA indie release imo, at $5 its permanently on sale.

Nickiepoo

panda21 said:
you get to fight stuff other than the orks in dawn of war 2 right? i thought the orks in the demo were really irritating (over the top british accents annoy me)

Orks feature throughout the game, but you also fight Eldar and Tyrinids throughout.

Not that I understand what you've got against TOO MUCH DAKKA! <3<3 Orks.

panda21

Nickiepoo said:
TOO MUCH DAKKA! <3<3 Orks.

:mad:

i will turn the voice audio off for the ork missions :lol

that thq site is very quick to use and then activate straight on steam, must keep watchning for daily deals

Dipswitch

giant_frying_pan said:
If you have a card issued by MBNA Europe, then you likely won't have to pay a conversion surcharge and in my experience the exchange rate is better than PayPal's (or closer to the interbank rate) although it will depend on the day and your specific card brand.

With debit cards, the majority of issuers will charge a fee.

[EDIT - Me being an idiot, I got your location the wrong way round. But check with your bank though as as long as they don't charge a fee for the actual conversion, you'll likely find that the exchange rate is better than PayPal's which typically isn't that good.]

Cheers. I checked with my bank, and they don't charge a fee. Unfortunately, the THQ UK site won't accept the card - I get a "Payment refused" error message. Bah.

Oh well - my backlog is big enough anyway. I'll wait for this to go on sale within Steam proper.

EDIT: My credit card actually flagged it as a fraudulent website. They sent me an email asking me to confirm the transaction was entered by me and I had them add the THQ site to my trusted list. Success! DOW2 for $7.60 :)

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Just did the THQ UK store thing from US. Worked fine for me $7.69 for DOW2 :D

Btw i had no "Conversion fee" people keep talking about. Maybe because i go through a credit union im not sure.

Do you guys know if Steam downloads the US or UK version of DoWII?

Edit: It worked fine. Now I don't have to log in to my friends account to play Dawn of War II! :D

Zzoram said:
Valve growing?

It seems like it. They'll be doing interviews for qualified candidates during the upcoming GDC. Most of the positions that they are looking to fill is for Steam though, but they are willing to hire anyone that has potential for other positions.

Positions that they are looking to fill:

Senior Technical Artist
Steam Release Engineer
Senior Programmer
Senior Programmer: Web Applications
Senior User Experience Designer
Graphic Designer / Web Designer
Senior Software Engineer, Steam
Software Engineer, Steam
Multi-Media Technical Communications

Andvary

I just bought DOWII from the THQ store, I got the code in my email but steam says the code has already been activated in another account , what should I do? :(

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Andvary said:
I just bought DOWII from the THQ store, I got the code in my email but steam says the code has already been activated in another account , what should I do? :(
Call THQ customer support and ask for another one?

LocoMrPollock said:
Yeah, I redeemed it on there and it's giving me an error and won't download. Maybe it's not compatible with Steam?

Oh well, game is awesome anyway.

The game requires Steam so it has to be compatible. There is two codes you should have gotten, one for Steam and one for GFWL.

vocab

Andvary said:

Contact THQ, and say it's already been activated when I enter GFWL. They should give you another one.

crimsonheadGCN said:
The game requires Steam so it has to be compatible. There is two codes you should have gotten, one for Steam and one for GFWL.

Yeah I redeemed the game key on steam downloaded the full game and then redeemed the bonus on GFWL and it's giving me "invalid data" when I try to download, so I dunno.

Mrbob

I bought Toki Tori this morning based on some of the recomendations in this thread. I'll try it out when I get home later tonight!

crimsonheadGCN said:
It seems like it. They'll be doing interviews for qualified candidates during the upcoming GDC. Most of the positions that they are looking to fill is for Steam though, but they are willing to hire anyone that has potential for other positions.

Positions that they are looking to fill:

Senior Technical Artist
Steam Release Engineer
Senior Programmer
Senior Programmer: Web Applications
Senior User Experience Designer
Graphic Designer / Web Designer
Senior Software Engineer, Steam
Software Engineer, Steam
Multi-Media Technical Communications

I'm not surprised, its crazy what a behemoth Steam has become. It must be generating some serious revenue for them these days.

Mrbob said:
I bought Toki Tori this morning based on some of the recomendations in this thread. I'll try it out when I get home later tonight!

Good man!

Suairyu

Banned
Been looking to get back into strategy gaming, so Dawn Of War II's more intimate offering seems a nice re-introduction. Bought and downloading now.

Yazus

Mass Effect is 14.99€ on Steam. Is it worth buying? I have never played a FPS/RPG ever, never actually seen a footage of ME, loved other bioware games such as baldurs gate and LOVED dragon age: origins.

Should I or shouldn't I? I saw some trailers/reviews and for what I have seen you can have choices/dialogs like DA:O and the sci-fi universe its really good. But as for the combat... is it similar to DA:O or what?

Yazus said:
Mass Effect is 14.99€ on Steam. Is it worth buying? I have never played a FPS/RPG ever, never actually seen a footage of ME, loved other bioware games such as baldurs gate and LOVED dragon age: origins.

Should I or shouldn't I? I saw some trailers/reviews and for what I have seen you can have choices/dialogs like DA:O and the sci-fi universe its really good. But as for the combat... is it similar to DA:O or what?
The combat isn't similar as that of DA:O. Mass Effect is a great game but has his flaws. I think for €15 it's a good purchase. And after that you'll want Mass Effect 2, badly.

Yazus

Prophet Steve said:
The combat isn't similar as that of DA:O. Mass Effect is a great game but has his flaws. I think for €15 it's a good purchase. And after that you'll want Mass Effect 2, badly.

It seems its like an FPS. Great... I like single player RPG/FPS like Bioshock etc. Well... I'm gonna buy it :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom