• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
x3n05 said:
Any kind soul like to gfit BFBC2 to a poor aussie? I will put the funds in your paypal account of course.

Can anyone do this for me also?. Would very much appreciate it.

Was to purchase but Steam/EA have jacked up the price to $69.99. So much for a 4 pack.

epmode

Sinatar said:
DoW2 has something like 5 difficulty levels, pick one of the easier ones and you'll be fine. The fact that you're only controlling 4 units at a time should make it manageable.
Exactly. DoW2's single-player is more Diablo than Company of Heroes.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Orellio said:
As someone who is equally bad at RTS's I just put about an hour into DoW on the easiest difficulty and it was totally manageable. Pretty slick game too!

Couldn't say it better myself. It's a very welcoming game for people who rarely touch the strategy genre.

Blizzard

Banned
It looks like Plants vs. Zombies data on my expiring Windows 7 RC is in C:\ProgramData\Steam\PlantsVsZombies just in case someone didn't find it.

Orellio said:
As someone who is equally bad at RTS's I just put about an hour into DoW on the easiest difficulty and it was totally manageable. Pretty slick game too!
Just to clarify, are you talking about DoW1 or 2? Because the poster you're quoting was talking about 2.

Jirotrom

Blizzard said:
It looks like Plants vs. Zombies data on my expiring Windows 7 RC is in C:\ProgramData\Steam\PlantsVsZombies just in case someone didn't find it.
yea thanks.. found it yesterday... that folder is hidden you have to unhide folders

dnlwki.jpg

Fox318

I'm loving the update but I just wish there was a way to share lists and to create wishlists!!!

Also is anyone having a problem with steam achievements? The text doesn't not show up for me in the popup.

epmode

Blizzard said:
The Plants vs. Zomzies save is crazy. I'm pretty sure that requires files from more than one location. I wound up losing my save after reformatting, even though I thought I backed it up.

I also lost save files for every single GFWL game. Each game requires a unique profile from your GFWL folder. Simply logging in to your existing Live account on a new computer won't work; the games won't recognize the save files.

Started playing DoWII a few hours back and passed the demo stage, the game is pulling me in much better now that I can play around with some gear and items I looted in the maps, very nice rpg feeling progression to each squad.

Also in the last few days my Steam in-game stuff will not show any text, using the beta layout. Odd because it was fine for the first few days of the beta... must sort that out.

Plants V Zombies is a game which would hugely benefit from steam cloud, since you could then play it at a lunch break at work without starting again :p

IMACOMPUTA

What the hell? This THQ E-shop is pissing me off!
I bought DoWII with paypal and the only email i've received is a paypal receipt. I bought the game yesterday...
Oh, and the website is broken. I cannot create an account. After i fill out the info on the right side to create an account, i hit submit and it populates the left column with my email address as if it worked (although it gives no confirmation) and then when i put in my password and submit it says theres no account with that name.

And yes, i've checked my spam folder. This sucks.

John

epmode said:
The Plants vs. Zomzies save is crazy. I'm pretty sure that requires files from more than one location. I wound up losing my save after reformatting, even though I thought I backed it up.
I have the Steam version on Windows XP, it's in steamapps > common. Copy the whole savedata folder.

Blizzard

Banned
epmode said:

I also lost save files for every single GFWL game. Each game requires a unique profile from your GFWL folder. Simply logging in to your existing Live account on a new computer won't work; the games won't recognize the save files.
Huh, well I'll let you know how Plants vs. Zombies goes once I install the full Win-7 after formatting.

And yikes, that's good to know about GFWL games. I did a quick search and it sounds like there might be SOME way around it, like this: http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=386144&hl=savegame (assuming GTA4 is GFWL) I'm not sure if that's the best solution though since it seemed like they changed their system to use the old account numbers instead of the other way around.

IMACOMPUTA said:
What the hell? This THQ E-shop is pissing me off!
I bought DoWII with paypal and the only email i've received is a paypal receipt. I bought the game yesterday...
Oh, and the website is broken. I cannot create an account. After i fill out the info on the right side to create an account, i hit submit and it populates the left column with my email address as if it worked (although it gives no confirmation) and then when i put in my password and submit it says theres no account with that name.

And yes, i've checked my spam folder. This sucks.

They may have gotten overloaded and ran out of keys. Just email customer service and be patient. Worst case, you get a refund.

IMACOMPUTA

LocoMrPollock said:
They may have gotten overloaded and ran out of keys. Just email customer service and be patient. Worst case, you get a refund.
Worst case is i don't get DOWII for an insanely low price!
Waaaa! :X

Alucrid

Banned
Can anyone explain how Steam's DRM works? I know it's all tied to your account, but what's stopping someone from taking the files you download off of steam, creating a work around for the .exe of that program to run without have to log into Steam or something like that? Generally I have no clue how that would work or be accomplished, I'm just wondering how exactly they safeguard their games. (I'm writing a paper on DRM atm)

Blizzard

Banned
Alucrid said:
Can anyone explain how Steam's DRM works? I know it's all tied to your account, but what's stopping someone from taking the files you download off of steam, creating a work around for the .exe of that program to run without have to log into Steam or something like that? Generally I have no clue how that would work or be accomplished, I'm just wondering how exactly they safeguard their games. (I'm writing a paper on DRM atm)
The .exe uses the Steam service. Yes, there are presumably workarounds for the Steam client or maybe hacked .exes that use the game resource files. Yes, you can use someone else's account temporarily to download a bunch of games, and then play them all in offline mode. If they don't catch you then there is nothing really stopping people from doing those things.

Sometimes Steam versions might have somewhat different resource files (config/whatever) than the retail ones though. In some annoying cases, like Mirror's Edge, the paid DLC doesn't work at all with the Steam version.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Alucrid said:
What's stopping someone from taking the files you download off of steam, creating a work around for the .exe of that program to run without have to log into Steam or something like that?
Nothing, you should be able to just use ordinary cracks for most Steam games. Where it doesn't apply is with Steamworks, of course.

Blizzard

Banned
Alucrid said:
So I guess it mainly runs on the mutual trust and amicable relationship between steam and its userbase?
1. If online games use Steamworks/VAC, then it can be difficult to run a cracked version, or you might get VAC banned, meaning all games on your account permanently unable to use games for that engine in VAC-protected online servers. If a game uses some other multiplayer solution then there may or may not be any threat of banning etc. against you.

2. Piracy can happen regardless. With most games I'm guessing it could be easier to pirate the non-Steam version than even bother with Steam. Steam gives you lots of nice online friends list features, lots of cheap sales, and the ability to keep transferring games to new computers. It basically makes it almost easier and safer for casual people to buy the games than to deal with trying to find safe torrents or cracks, or such is my theory.

3. Basically, I feel that Steam gives a reasonable level of protection without giving people across-the-board install limits, intrusive hard disk/running process scans (as far as I know, I could be wrong), etc. People who really want to pirate can find a way regardless, and people who don't are mostly not bothered by it, aside from a few people who don't want the Steam service running at all (like Joseph Merrick, I seem to recall, who hates Steam with a passion for apparently this reason).

It's not perfect, it has flaws, and it has dangers for consumers. But I feel that those are some reasons why it works fairly well.

Twig

Banned
Alucrid said:
So I guess it mainly runs on the mutual trust and amicable relationship between steam and its userbase?
The ease of access and immediate access for new releases is how Steam helps most in preventing piracy.

So, yeah, basically.

Blizzard said:
The .exe uses the Steam service. Yes, there are presumably workarounds for the Steam client or maybe hacked .exes that use the game resource files.

Does this mean that the .exes for Steam games are modified versions of the non-Steam ones? Wouldn't that require a re-compile? I wonder how they're doing that for really old games (Oddworld, Jedi Knight) that the developer might not have the source for anymore.

Theoretically, if the assets and structure of the Steam version are identical with a retail release, couldn't someone just replace the Steam-linked .exe with the retail one and not need Steam to play it anymore?

Outside of multiplayer, Steam's DRM isn't effective at all at stopping piracy. All Steamworks games have been cracked.

faceless007 said:
Theoretically, if the assets and structure of the Steam version are identical with a retail release, couldn't someone just replace the Steam-linked .exe with the retail one and not need Steam to play it anymore?

This works with most Steam games.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Desaparecido said:
The Amazon price is a special deal or something because I do not see that.

Not that I'm aware of, that's why I posted. (here's the link)

I saw that Bioshock 2 was 25% off and thinking it was a good deal I nearly bought it.

I just find it amazing that Amazon can sell a boxed copy of nearly half the price of Steam. The prices on Steam have become so expensive in the last year or so that I hardly use it anymore.

Firestorm

Alucrid said:
Thanks for the info and opinions guys, it helps a lot.
If you want to research, MW2 is probably the most prominent recent Steamworks game. Was cracked the day of or day before release iirc. Multiplayer was cracked a while later.

wmat said:
Nothing, you should be able to just use ordinary cracks for most Steam games. Where it doesn't apply is with Steamworks, of course.

Not exactly, or at least not in all cases. I tried to use a crack with some of my Steam games to see if it would work and it kept complaining about incorrect dll files. I assume you could repackage the game with some alternate .dlls, but at the very least it requires a bit more than swapping over a crack.

Dipswitch

Did anyone figure out that DOW2 issue with trying to download the bonus content using the GFWL client? I suspect it's because I downloaded the game through Steam instead of using the installation files that the THQ website provided.

Twig

Banned
faceless007 said:
Does this mean that the .exes for Steam games are modified versions of the non-Steam ones? Wouldn't that require a re-compile? I wonder how they're doing that for really old games (Oddworld, Jedi Knight) that the developer might not have the source for anymore.

There are some games that can run outside of Steam. I can't remember any off the top of my head but I know for sure any games running on DOSBox fit that category (i.e. nearly all of id's older games).

I think Darwinia might be one of those games, too.

Unless things have changes recently (or I have a terrible memory).

D4Danger said:
Not that I'm aware of, that's why I posted. (here's the link)

I saw that Bioshock 2 was 25% off and thinking it was a good deal I nearly bought it.

I just find it amazing that Amazon can sell a boxed copy of nearly half the price of Steam. The prices on Steam have become so expensive in the last year or so that I hardly use it anymore.
Maybe this is just a European thing since prices seem to be ridiculous for Europeans, but on the regular Amazon site, it's still at full price. It makes no sense for a game that came out this month to now be half off permanently.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So, uh, I reached this part in Spellforce 2 where the camera gets stuck permanently, there is a console command to fix it but the enemy AI is disabled.

Apparently this issue only happens in the original Spellforce 2 campaign, not in the expansion campaign.

The thing is, if you only have Spellforce 2, without the expansion, this bug doesn't happen occur, so any potentional Spellforce 2 buyers, buy them separately rather than buying the Gold version.

Anyone know a way to fix this? Fan patches or anything? :(

Edit: To make it clearer.

Spellforce 2 vanilla - No camera bugs (Camera gets stuck after events, like talking to an NPC)

Spellforce 2 + Expansion - Camera bug, among other oddities in cutscenes.

Spellforce 2 Gold - Same as above

Edit #2: There is apparently a working fan solution for the camera bug, I'll link it HERE

Just extract it in your Spellforce 2 / Dragon Storm folder and it should fix the problem, I tried it out and it works with the Steam version as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom