• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh god I didn't know about Rewind! :O

It's like a completely different game! THIS IS EXCELLENT. I tried the WiiWare version at a friends, and the iPhone demo but I'm glad I went with PC for this. So good. :D

EDIT: Steam Cloud support too?! Jeez this game.

Aselith

kamspy said:
I know.....it's garbage. Even if it was free it wouldn't be worth your bandwidth. I spent too many hours trying to make that game good. It's too fundamentally broken to even be a little fun.

What's the problem with it?

Blizzard

Banned
The Big Rig said:
Just bought Toki Tori on GAF's recommendation. I trust I will be pleasantly surprised.
Never trust GAF's recommendation. :lol I just bought it too though, based on cheap price + cute, crisp, sidescroller graphics. Hopefully it's good!

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
OFP: DR is alright, not great for me. But definitely alright. At least in SP territory. Although I'm waltzing through it, so maybe it's a little too easy.

Blizzard

Banned
Toki Tori has the achievements thing grayed out. Are they planning on adding that in the future? *fake edit before posting* Nevermind, I guess that will unlock itself after I play for a bit. Seems cute so far.

Is there a rewind button though? I saw some reference to a rewind feature that was going to be added. *edit* Darn, it's automatic. I should have just waited before posting. :lol

*edit again* I like that it pauses when you alt-tab away, like Plants vs. Zombies. Unfortunately, the achievements button is still disabled ingame. Is that normal? I also thought I finished a level without using one of the items, but didn't get the Steam achievement for it.

Blizzard said:
Toki Tori has the achievements thing grayed out. Are they planning on adding that in the future? *fake edit before posting* Nevermind, I guess that will unlock itself after I play for a bit. Seems cute so far.

Is there a rewind button though? I saw some reference to a rewind feature that was going to be added. *edit* Darn, it's automatic. I should have just waited before posting. :lol

*edit again* I like that it pauses when you alt-tab away, like Plants vs. Zombies. Unfortunately, the achievements button is still disabled ingame. Is that normal? I also thought I finished a level without using one of the items, but didn't get the Steam achievement for it.
It shows up normal for me.

Also I like that Rewind on the Backspace key. It makes a lot of sense.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah, I've been playing TF2 online. I couldn't invite anyone to the server though, and someone said that might be a bug that going into offline and back into online mode would fix.

Neither is fixed after restarting Steam twice, so maybe I'll try the ClientRegistry thing next. *edit* Deleting that didn't fix it. Going offline and online in the friends list didn't fix it. Going "away" and then back online in the friends list DID fix it, but Toki Tori still doesn't show that update in the update history. Can anyone verify that when they right click that update actually shows up?

dani_dc

Blizzard said:
Yeah, I've been playing TF2 online. I couldn't invite anyone to the server though, and someone said that might be a bug that going into offline and back into online mode would fix.

Neither is fixed after restarting Steam twice, so maybe I'll try the ClientRegistry thing next. *edit* Deleting that didn't fix it. Going offline and online in the friends list didn't fix it. Going "away" and then back online in the friends list DID fix it, but Toki Tori still doesn't show that update in the update history. Can anyone verify that when they right click that update actually shows up?
Checked it and that particular update doesn't show up in my update history.

No issues with the acheivement button here though.

Blizzard

Banned
Okay, turns out you have to turn on the Steam community ingame, at which point that button will...bring up a Steam browser with your achievements. :lol Thanks guys, I just wanted to know what the problem was.

Tried the Operation Flashpoint demo (only 256 MB???) Chugged like crazy with everything on low. Not buying it.

(To compare, I can run Crysis and MW2 on low.)

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I'm pleasantly surprised at how polished Toki Tori is. I was expecting something pretty low key, like your average indie game, but I was quite surprised!

Final Fantasy 7 and 8 have been added to the registry. They also added Lead and Gold, not to mention some combo deals like Just Cause & Batman, Battlestations & Order of War, Tomb Raider & Last Remnant.

Atilac

LovingSteam said:
Final Fantasy 7 and 8 have been added to the registry. They also added Lead and Gold, not to mention some combo deals like Just Cause & Batman, Battlestations & Order of War, Tomb Raider & Last Remnant.
wat? FF7 and FF8?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
LovingSteam said:
Final Fantasy 7 and 8 have been added to the registry.

Whoa. Does that mean they put in the effort to get them working on more recent operating systems?

If they haven't altered them a bit to work on recent computers then that will suck. VII especially can be a bit of a pain.

I remember a pretty cool mod for VII that let you use in-proportion characters even out of battles. I guess it won't work on the Steam version though.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Got Toki Tori. How could I resist?

I think friday I'll get Aquaria and Fallout 3 GOTY.

Who will be a guinea pig for FF7/8?

graywolf323

LovingSteam said:

Square sure knows how to get money out of me...

as long as they work on Windows 7 that is

trinest

Gexecuter said:
So i was browsing the indie section of the steam store and came across this:

33ejvpx.jpg

:lol pretty cool ad it's just too bad it's not on the main page, at least i don't think so, come on steam get on it!
I hate you. *buys game*

Dipper145

kamspy said:
I know.....it's garbage. Even if it was free it wouldn't be worth your bandwidth. I spent too many hours trying to make that game good. It's too fundamentally broken to even be a little fun.
I dunno, I'm really enjoying Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising... It's definitely a different kind of game than what I'm used to, but I'm having a good time with it. Especially for $7.50, I think it's a great deal. I'd try out the demo before you buy. The demo doesn't even take long to download.

Tim-E

gregor7777 said:
I played a fair amount of FF7 on the PC and didn't notice any major issues. Why were they terrible?

The music in it is atrocious. Sounds like .midis they downloaded from a fan website. The music is a pretty important aspect of that game to me and while the PC version plays just fine, the music being dick brings it down several notches.

Tim-E said:
The music in it is atrocious. Sounds like .midis they downloaded from a fan website. The music is a pretty important aspect of that game to me and while the PC version plays just fine, the music being dick brings it down several notches.

I didn't notice, but I also was playing it in my car on a crap laptop so that might explain it. :lol

Minsc

Gold Member
Tim-E said:

Yea, though it was possible to fix the music if you loaded a good soundbank for your midi if your soundcard supported that non-sense, I doubt you can do that easily any more though, so shitty music it is!

Videos looked awful too, and the backgrounds were left at 320x240, and look super pixelated I believe.

The emulated PSX version would probably be the best way to play the game, giving you access to the best music, visuals, and the ability to fast forward through battles, and the Knights summoning materia that lasts for like 2 minutes.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
LovingSteam said:

Ah, Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII for the PC, the two games that first unionized Square and Eidos.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
anyone else pre-order the DA expansion? was hoping to get a pre-load but I don't even see it in the games list. i'm sure it probably has to do with EA's fucking stupid terrible DLC system.

in any event, DA and DOWII expansions coming within a week of each other is evil and awesome

confused

Banned
Ok GAF, what is the easiest way to transfer my steam account and folders to a new HDD ? Is it as easy as just copy-paste the whole Steam folder or will it be harder than that ?

I'm running out of space on my 640 GB drive and I just put a new 2 TB HDD in my comp and would like to copy my Steam tuff to the new 2TB HDD. Anybody know ?

My Steam folder is well over 200GB and I'd rather not have to redownload everything.

AstroLad said:
anyone else pre-order the DA expansion? was hoping to get a pre-load but I don't even see it in the games list. i'm sure it probably has to do with EA's fucking stupid terrible DLC system.

in any event, DA and DOWII expansions coming within a week of each other is evil and awesome

Yea, I preloaded both as well and I'm super pumped. As for DA:O Awakenings, I emailed STEAM about it and it doesn't get a seperate game listing apparently. Once it's released it will be accessed and DL'd like the rest of the game's DLC which I'm sure will be...interesting.

confused said:
Ok GAF, what is the easiest way to transfer my steam account and folders to a new HDD ? Is it as easy as just copy-paste the whole Steam folder or will it be harder than that ?

I'm running out of space on my 640 GB drive and I just put a new 2 TB HDD in my comp and would like to copy my Steam tuff to the new 2TB HDD. Anybody know ?

My Steam folder is well over 200GB and I'd rather not have to redownload everything.

Copy-paste of the Steamapps folder should do it.

Copy folder
Uninstall Steam
Install Steam at new location
Paste folder accross
Boot up Steam and it'll do its magic and everything should be playable. You may have to double-click on some of the individual games for them to show up as "ready".

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Sir Garbageman said:
Yea, I preloaded both as well and I'm super pumped. As for DA:O Awakenings, I emailed STEAM about it and it doesn't get a seperate game listing apparently. Once it's released it will be accessed and DL'd like the rest of the game's DLC which I'm sure will be...interesting.
man after my own heart. it's funny b/c im going to have to pass on all the console releases because those two expansions are going to just devour my time. i just need to at least beat the BC2 single player this week. impulse purchase that one

thanks for the info. i'm sure it will be a huge pain.

deleted

I love the new ingame Steam overlay, but I was wondering if I can get the "current session" clock for games with achievements. For me the clock is only in games without achivements...

Any ideas?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Does anyone mind helping a Steam noob out?

I don't use steam in fact the only reason I have the steam client is because I had to have it to activate my free copy of Dirt 2 that came with my 5850. I've played Dirt 2 from Steam several months ago but now when I go to start it up today I click on launch Dirt 2 from the Steam menu, a little box pops up that says it's preparing to launch but then nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom