• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
RbBrdMan said:
Does anyone mind helping a Steam noob out?

I don't use steam in fact the only reason I have the steam client is because I had to have it to activate my free copy of Dirt 2 that came with my 5850. I've played Dirt 2 from Steam several months ago but now when I go to start it up today I click on launch Dirt 2 from the Steam menu, a little box pops up that says it's preparing to launch but then nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong?
Try clicking on the game in the list with the right mouse button and select properties. Go to local files and then select verify integrity of game cache.

Cru Jones

brain_stew said:
Copy-paste of the Steamapps folder should do it.

Copy folder
Uninstall Steam
Install Steam at new location
Paste folder accross
Boot up Steam and it'll do its magic and everything should be playable. You may have to double-click on some of the individual games for them to show up as "ready".

You'll have to hunt for your save files individually though

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Google said:
Nothing.

This happens from time to time in Steam.

Just quit Steam, restart, and try again.

It'll be fine.

Is it downloading any updates for Dirt?

I just came back from a reboot after I made the post. Reopened steam a quick box came up that said applying updates (not sure for what) then the client launched. Still the same problem though.

P.S. This is why I like to have physical copies of all of my games. Dirt 2 is the only thing I have digitally. Figures it doesn't work.

poppabk said:
Try clicking on the game in the list with the right mouse button and select properties. Go to local files and then select verify integrity of game cache.

Thank you I will try this now.

Javaman

RbBrdMan said:
Does anyone mind helping a Steam noob out?

I don't use steam in fact the only reason I have the steam client is because I had to have it to activate my free copy of Dirt 2 that came with my 5850. I've played Dirt 2 from Steam several months ago but now when I go to start it up today I click on launch Dirt 2 from the Steam menu, a little box pops up that says it's preparing to launch but then nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong?

Try right clicking the game and going to file options (I think that's what it's called) and verify the game. It'll make sure everything is squared away.

Edit: BAH. Beaten like a red-headed step-child.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
confused said:
Where would I be able to find those ? Aren't they automatically saved to the game folder ?
Hahaha, keeping saves for all games in a single saved games folder, how does that make any sense? :D

DietRob

poppabk said:

Ok I did this and it said that 3 files were something or another and would be reacquired there was a box for OK so I pressed it. Does it reacquire the files automatically or something.

Man I feel so stupid... I'm going to try and restart steam again i guess.

Google

RbBrdMan said:
P.S. This is why I like to have physical copies of all of my games. Dirt 2 is the only thing I have digitally. Figures it doesn't work.

Pretty confident that this isn't the thread to talk about your love for physical media.

confused

Banned
poppabk said:
Hahaha, keeping saves for all games in a single saved games folder, how does that make any sense? :D

I meant in the actual game folder, ie Mass Effect 2 save in Mass effect 2 steamapp folder. But no, they were in C:\Windows\user\Neil\documents. While steam is on D:

Can't I just leave them there ?

Is it me or is there like no wishlist link to give out to people?

I'm still debating if i want to preorder Just Cause 2. They should have tried to get a 4-pack :lol.

DietRob

Google said:
Pretty confident that this isn't the thread to talk about your love for physical media.

I just want to play the game today. If steam would let me all would be well in my little world right now.

However, it will not allow me to play. I've rebooted my PC and steam twice, verified the files was missing 3 the first time, restarted steam, verified the files again it says all is well. Even with all of the files being 'verified' it still will not launch..

SMH.. at least I didn't technically pay for it.. Sorry if my P.S. comment sounded trollish I was simply expressing my experience with not getting these types of issues with physical media. If someone saw that as a troll then they need thicker skin.

Google

PuppetSlave said:
Don't worry about it. It seems google is pretty sensitive, slightest word or phrase seem to set him off.

Nothing's set me off.

Mine was a throwaway comment made in jest.

I tried to help the guy, FYI.

Sorry if my P.S. comment sounded trollish I was simply expressing my experience with not getting these types of issues with physical media. If someone saw that as a troll then they need thicker skin.

What the fuck are you talking about?

It was a tiny little joke, that I didn't feel the need to put a smiley next to.

DietRob

Nabs said:
are you letting steam download the files before restarting? try verifying it again after it's done. seems there was a large patch released the other week as well.

steam dirt 2 forums: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=812

people are having a startup issue w/ dirt 2. i dont know if it's the same as yours. some say its a GFWL issue

Thank you for that. I tried searching around a little about similar issues this helps.

Google said:
What the fuck are you talking about?

It was a tiny little joke, that I didn't feel the need to put a smiley next to.

Whoa... whoaa... whoaaaa... and here I was trying to be nice by apologizing if I happened to offend you.. Jesus Christ dude....

confused

Banned
Squenix-Eidos week this week. Today's offers are hitman collection and Deus Ex series.

Nothing for me this week as I already own the Eidos complete pack, alas.

vocab

DanDeschain said:
How well does Deus Ex holdup? Never played it, always wanted to.

It holds up on vanilla fine. The models are meh, but the rest is godlike. Someone made a High res mod/Dx9/10 support for it so you should be able to play at a good res.

GHG

DanDeschain said:
How well does Deus Ex holdup? Never played it, always wanted to.

There are plenty of graphical mods out there that will make if visually acceptable if you can't deal with it. Gameplay wise, it definately holds up.

In other words BUY.

vocab

The Deus Ex collection is a dollar more expensive versus buying them separately. Oh steam. Also, this means Batman is gonna be on sale. I hope it's cheap as hell.

Garou

RbBrdMan said:
I just want to play the game today. If steam would let me all would be well in my little world right now.

However, it will not allow me to play. I've rebooted my PC and steam twice, verified the files was missing 3 the first time, restarted steam, verified the files again it says all is well. Even with all of the files being 'verified' it still will not launch..

SMH.. at least I didn't technically pay for it.. Sorry if my P.S. comment sounded trollish I was simply expressing my experience with not getting these types of issues with physical media. If someone saw that as a troll then they need thicker skin.

I am quite sure that the problem is not Steam but rather the game (or some components that come with it) itself. The only thing steam does is check whether you are the only one using your account, otherwise it just starts the game and nothing else.

Danneee

Nice, I'll be buying Battlestations Pacific and Tomb Raider Anniversary this week then. Iäm a bit on the fence about Hitman Blood Money, is it good? And does it support the 360 pad?

Javaman

Thomper said:
I bought the Eidos Everything pack during the Holiday Sale. Guess I won't be buying stuff this week. Hooray for my wallet.

Same here unless they release FF7 and 8. I've got those stored away somewhere but even if I could find them and had a dvd reader that worked I'd hate to deal with the multi cd crap. Wasn't FF7 PC going for big bucks on Ebay?

LegatoB

If you haven't played Deus Ex (shame on you!), you really have no excuse not to buy it right now. Do it. Doooooooooooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. One of my all-time favorite games.

Give Invisible War a pass, though.

Oh yeah, my disc copy works fine on Windows Vista 64-bit and all that jazz, so don't worry about that aspect of it.

kswiston

vocab said:
The Deus Ex collection is a dollar more expensive versus buying them separately. Oh steam. Also, this means Batman is gonna be on sale. I hope it's cheap as hell.

The Deus Ex collection is $2 more than the individual games. Looks like Steam never updated the price of the collection when the individual games price dropped, as the games are a regular $10 each and the 2 game collection is a regular $30. Going to wait and see if they fix the price. The collection is supposed to give you a steeper, 60% discount. Should be $8, not $12.

That entire pack is pretty nice. But I also already got the Eidos pack so this doesn't work for me.

Edit: Did they eliminate the Eidos complete pack? It seems to be gone.

Vlad

So for anybody who's had to deal with Steam support, what's the typical response time to a question?

I was in the middle of using Steam on Thursday (about to download the Just Cause 2 demo), when I got logged off with the message that the "credentials had expired". I went to log back in, but since I haven't needed to log back into steam for the two years that I've had it, I didn't remember what my password was. So, I hit the "forgot your password" button to start the password reset process. Sure enough, a minute later I get an email from steam with a validation code to use to reset my password, and a "secret question" to answer.

Unfortunately, unlike every other secret question I've ever dealt with, this wasn't actually a secret question I picked out in the first place. It was "What did customer support last reset your passphrase to?".

Yes, that's the actual question I was supposed to provide the answer to in order to finish resetting my password. Now, seeing as I've never actually had customer support reset a passphrase (and I don't really know what they mean by "passphrase" in the first place), I'm kind of at a loss. I shot off an e-mail to Steam and set up a Steam Support account, but my question still sits there, unanswered since Thursday.

I've never had to deal with Steam's customer service before, so I don't know at what point I should start to bug them through other channels. I'm guessing that they don't do anything on weekends, but how many business days does it typically take to get a response?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
speculawyer said:
Pretty fast. Within a work day or two. That has been my experience.
I'm astonished that this is considered fast. It should really be near-realtime. Everything else is inexcusable.

Danneee

Vlad said:
So for anybody who's had to deal with Steam support, what's the typical response time to a question?

Slow and stupid, but thats just my experience with the swedish steam support. Took at leas 3-4 days for an answer that didn't even answer my question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom