• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doytch

Well, I discovered when I was in the US for the summer that the gold standard is Amazon. Bought an album from the MP3 store, first track had a tiny bit of audible clipping. Emailed them at 3pm on a Sunday asking if they could rerip, or put my order as credit towards to the CD. I got a reply a couple of hours later saying they'll refund the entire purchase, so I just bought that one track on iTunes.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Cru Jones said:
You'll have to hunt for your save files individually though
Just copy the entire Documents folder. I do this every time, and have yet to lose a save file

For those of you on the fence for BFBC2, Steam has put up the 4-pack. It comes out to about $37.50. Most likely EA didn't give the go ahead until now which is why it wasn't available earlier.

kamspy

It's not advertised anywhere on the site that I can find, but Condemned: Criminal Origins is $3 on Direct2Drive right now. Don't even know how I found it but happy I did.

kamspy said:
It's not advertised anywhere on the site that I can find, but Condemned: Criminal Origins is $3 on Direct2Drive right now. Don't even know how I found it but happy I did.

It was $3 on GamersGate this weekend. Maybe Steam will be next.

IMACOMPUTA

Man, the Steam Beta has totally screwed me over.
Every time i start steam, it takes like 8 tries. The first couple of times i'll try to open it and it will say "connecting" and then close. The next time it'll give me some sort of /bin/friends error (or something). Then sometimes steam will open and the store page cannot load no matter how many refreshes, and when i click to play a game i get "game unavailable."
Even after uninstalling the beta i still get some of these errors... not to mention i gifted my friend a game and he never got it. Never even received an email about it.. I've contacted steam, but after like 5 days all the said was "Have your friend check his uninstalled games." .............. no really? So now i wrote back and most likely have to wait another 5 days. ARGH!

kamspy

IMACOMPUTA said:
Man, the Steam Beta has totally screwed me over.

I dumped the beta a few days ago. Finally broke for me. Kept ghost launching Bad Comapny 2 in the background. Was wondering why the hell my computer was so slow at times til I checked the task manager and saw that huge ass process running. :lol

Zzoram

kamspy said:
I dumped the [Steam] beta a few days ago. Finally broke for me. Kept ghost launching Bad Comapny 2 in the background. Kept wondering why the hell my computer was so slow at times til I check the task manager and say that huge ass process. :lol

:lol

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Dragon Age: Origins 1.03
Patch details:

You do not need to download patches prior to Patch 1.03. Downloading Patch 1.03 contains all previous patches. Downloading Patch 1.03 will provide you with all patch data available.
Various changes have been made to code and resources to support the Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening expansion pack. Most of these changes do not affect Origins itself.
Some players were experiencing increasingly long load times. A major cause of this problem has been fixed.
At higher levels, non-player characters now receive a bonus to armor penetration. This mitigates an unintentional imbalance with well-armored high-level characters, since armor penetration previously did not scale as aggressively as armor itself did.
Elite-rank enemies (lieutenants) can no longer be shattered. This preserves the intended tactical design of many combat encounters.
Portraits for summoned creatures (like a ranger's wolf) were displaying improperly while in the party camp. This no longer occurs.

Oh God finally.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
kamspy said:
I dumped the beta a few days ago. Finally broke for me. Kept ghost launching Bad Comapny 2 in the background. Kept wondering why the hell my computer was so slow at times til I check the task manager and say that huge ass process. :lol
It actually did that to me yesterday. Only happened once so far though. I launched it normally and was getting like 10fps without changing anything in the settings. So then I tried to restart Steam and it told me I need to close BC2 first...even though I just did. Kind of strange because the process was there but it wasn't on my toolbar or anything.

ArjanN

Danneee said:
Nice, I'll be buying Battlestations Pacific and Tomb Raider Anniversary this week then. I am a bit on the fence about Hitman Blood Money, is it good? And does it support the 360 pad?

GOTY 2006 for me.

Volcynika

Wouldn't Metro 2033 have a very low chance of having a 4-pack due to being single player only? (I can't recall single player games that got packs like that, feel free to remind me)

Volcynika said:
Wouldn't Metro 2033 have a very low chance of having a 4-pack due to being single player only? (I can't recall single player games that got packs like that, feel free to remind me)

true, didn't think of that. I have been so close to buying both Just Cause and Metro 2033, I just can't pull the trigger!

vocab said:
That 4 pack is worthless now that me and my friends already have the game. So annoying.
EA's plan I think, since they make more money on full price copies then bundle packs.

4 pack in the UK is £105, makes the game around £10 cheaper for everyone since steam retail is £35. How much is the US 4 pack?

Chrysalis

Instro said:
Having never played Dues Ex or Hitman, how worth it is the bundle? $17 for 5 games is pretty hard to pass up.

Well, Deus Ex is an absolute classic, and I imagine it holds up pretty well. It also has a pretty active mod community. Think Bioshock with a cooler story and more diverse environments.

The rest are all good but not great, though Hitman 2 has one of the best themes I've ever heard in a videogame. The Hitman series, in general, requires planning and the willingness to retry levels any number of times to beat them satisfactorily.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i can't find the official thread because the fucking search hasn't worked forever despite my gafgold fees, so i'll post here:

zuma's revenge IS far more humane than zuma. BUT iron frog is all kinds of fucked up. bout to throw a brick through my monitor. they pretend that it's the fact that you only have one life that makes it challenging, while totally ignoring the fact that the levels are about 50x harder than even the hardest campaign levels, you almost never get good power-ups, and the color combinations are full of strings and strings of singles

Minsc

Gold Member
AstroLad said:
i can't find the official thread because the fucking search hasn't worked forever despite my gafgold fees, so i'll post here:

zuma's revenge IS far more humane than zuma. BUT iron frog is all kinds of fucked up. bout to throw a brick through my monitor. they pretend that it's the fact that you only have one life that makes it challenging, while totally ignoring the fact that the levels are about 50x harder than even the hardest campaign levels, you almost never get good power-ups, and the color combinations are full of strings and strings of singles

Get the Luxor pack and you'll never look back.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i like zumas, also popcap. challenge mode is great and imo the best mode in the game, and they've really perfected the difficulty. but iron frog....

will try luxor sometime. i think i have a game from those guys on my itouch, sky something or other? another zuma/luxor/whatever-that-game-is-that-those-games-ripped-off-that-everyone-likes-to-mention-like-they're-super-knowledgeable-or-something-is game.

Minsc

Gold Member
AstroLad said:
i like zumas, also popcap. challenge mode is great and imo the best mode in the game, and they've really perfected the difficulty. but iron frog....

will try luxor sometime. i think i have a game from those guys on my itouch, sky something or other? another zuma/luxor/whatever-that-game-is-that-those-games-ripped-off-that-everyone-likes-to-mention-like-they're-super-knowledgeable-or-something-is game.

The newer luxor games in the pack (you get 5 luxors and one mahjong), 2, 3, and QftA, all have a shop/upgrade system, which I don't think is in Zuma.

Luxor 3+ is really a superior game. You get all sorts of different challenges, boss battles, centipide retro-style gameplay, time challenges, etc, and there's about 10 power ups, that you buy upgrades from with your money you earn by playing the levels... the better you play the level the more money you get. You actually need to choose which upgrades to focus on, as they get exponentially more expensive when you continue to re-upgrade, and it creates some variation and additional strategy. The game also rewards perfect play nicely (no missed shots), and you get cascading chain bonuses, as well as marble upgrades and multiple difficulty settings.

It's really an amazing value if you like those types of games, I grabbed it for like $10 during the holiday sales, I had tried the Zuma Revenge demo (through to the third world I think), and found Luxor to be the better purchase. It's also got fancier backgrounds!

Steam noob question: when you create an account "username," is that akin to your Live gamertag? Can that tag be changed later, or is it set forever?

Sorry for the off-topic interjection. Filthy & excited Mac user here...

blazinglazers said:
Steam noob question: when you create an account "username," is that akin to your Live gamertag? Can that tag be changed later, or is it set forever?

The name you use to login is set one time only, but it's not necessarily your display name which you can change at will.

Jim Stark

Neo Member
blazinglazers said:

It's just an account name, you don't want most people to know what it is. Unfortunately you can't change it. You create a Steam community profile after and you can change your community name as much as you want. That's the one you will be seen as in Valve games.

Alucrid

Banned
I tried playing Bioshock today and when I loaded it up it didn't even get to the opening screen with the white test in english / french. Does anyone know a fix for this? I tried deleting the local content and reinstalling but that didn't work. I'm using Windows 7 x64 btw.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Aw screw it, I went ahead and got all 3 Hitman games for $8. Good buy even if I'm stuck using my trackball mouse instead of 360 controller (not sure, guess we'll see)

-edit-
I hope they don't put TR Underworld on sale before Friday.

Sanjay

LovingSteam said:
For those of you on the fence for BFBC2, Steam has put up the 4-pack. It comes out to about $37.50. Most likely EA didn't give the go ahead until now which is why it wasn't available earlier.

It's gone, FUUUU :mad:

graywolf323

you know with that earlier leak about FFVII & VIII coming to Steam I wonder if they'll show up during the Square-Enix/Eidos week they're pushing right now?

hope so :D

really the only deal I want this week of the games already out would be Gyromancer

otherwise I already own most of them ^_^;; thanks to the Eidos Complete Pack

Everdred

kamspy said:
I dumped the beta a few days ago. Finally broke for me. Kept ghost launching Bad Comapny 2 in the background. Was wondering why the hell my computer was so slow at times til I checked the task manager and saw that huge ass process running. :lol
Both versions of steam do this to me :(

LovingSteam said:
true, didn't think of that. I have been so close to buying both Just Cause and Metro 2033, I just can't pull the trigger!

I feel the same way about both of those games. 4 packs would force my hand, but I guess i can wait for eventual sales. Both are steamworks, right? So even retail sales would work out.

Daigoro

RbBrdMan said:
Ok I did this and it said that 3 files were something or another and would be reacquired there was a box for OK so I pressed it. Does it reacquire the files automatically or something.

Man I feel so stupid... I'm going to try and restart steam again i guess.

did you get it to work?

verifying usually does the trick. if files came up missing, that almost assuredly it. they will DL automatically no need to restart unless it starts acting up. you should see the download start under your GAMES or LIBRARY (Downloads) if youre using the steam beta.

prob a quick download too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom