• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

John

People. People. Peopleopeopeleople. Go to your Target. Batman is probably $12 there right now. It's on clearance nationwide.

John said:
People. People. Peopleopeopeleople. Go to your Target. Batman is probably $12 there right now. It's on clearance nationwide.
Very nice, I am still glad that I bought it in the UK for £13 a few months back now, but $12 is dirt cheap, damn.

Diablohead said:
If I was not playing Aion I would give it another try at that price, it's not showing up on the UK store anyway.

Yes it is, I just bought it from the UK store - however clicking on the banner just took me to the Arkham & Just Cause deal, I had to scroll down, select 'Specials' and FFXI was listed there for £9.99.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
They should start by matching their own 60% price that they're claiming. Are they bad at numbers?

Lothars

Javaman said:
Hopefully the weekend deal will redeem the bean counters.

I thought the current deal is the weekend deal but I think it's a decent deal anyway, not the best steam has had but not a bad one anyway.

Bootaaay said:
Yes it is, I just bought it from the UK store - however clicking on the banner just took me to the Arkham & Just Cause deal, I had to scroll down, select 'Specials' and FFXI was listed there for £9.99.
Yeah I saw it down there shortly after posting, £10 though :( isn't it $7.49 in the US? would only cost like £4.50 via paypal to buy it from a american gaffer.

I still wonder about FFVII and VIII, if they are not part of this weekend deal or something.

Lothars

Diablohead said:
Yeah I saw it down there shortly after posting, £10 though :( isn't it $7.49 in the US? would only cost like £4.50 via paypal to buy it from a american gaffer.

If someone wants I would be willing to buy it for them and gift them the game because it is 7.50 here.

dysonEA

A couple days ago Steam put up the Battlefield Bad Company 2 4-pack then quickly took it off. Anyone know when they're going to put it back up? A few friends of mine wanna get in on that deal. Has Steam said anything new about it?

Dedalus

Picked up Arkham Asylum + Just Cause for £13.25, Arkham by itself was £14.99 :lol not really sure what to expect with Just Cause but for that price its worth a play.

Still keeping my new years resolution not to splurge on every Steam deal, the Christmas sales killed me! This one at least is worth it to me beacuse I can't get Arkham cheaper than that price in the UK.

Durante said:
I assume impulse buying Final Fantasy XI is not a good idea, it's probably a bit too late to start?

people still play but the number of players are dropping as they're starting to merge the servers together

as a person who played on and off over a period of 5 years, I say avoid. While the game has it's merits, there's so many inherent flaws with the game and even now it's going to be very difficult for someone starting from nothing. People on GAF might tell you otherwise but that's just my opinion.

bit on AA + Just Cause. more or less for just cause, with the added bonus of having AA in my steam library now

pricing on batman was really stupid. really? a package deal cheaper than one game? i wouldn't have touched this until i saw that total value price ;p

Dedalus said:
Picked up Arkham Asylum + Just Cause for £13.25, Arkham by itself was £14.99 :lol not really sure what to expect with Just Cause but for that price its worth a play.

Still keeping my new years resolution not to splurge on every Steam deal, the Christmas sales killed me! This one at least is worth it to me beacuse I can't get Arkham cheaper than that price in the UK.
Lol seriously. From Jan to Dec 09 my total amount of games grew by about 275-300. That is about 27 or so a month. So far from Jan to March 2010 I have bought 3 big games (ME2, Bio 2, BfBc2) and then a few little deals. Needless to say I am proud of myself.

Mrbob

It is nice to have my games all together in one resource. I know I can launch outside games from steam, but it is easier overall just to buy the game on steam. If I'm going to use steam anyway for all my gaming why not just get it all done natively?

If I delete the title, all I have to do is go to my game library and click on install. Steam does the rest. It is simple and easy to do.

Durante

PandaPandaPanda said:
people still play but the number of players are dropping as they're starting to merge the servers together

as a person who played on and off over a period of 5 years, I say avoid. While the game has it's merits, there's so many inherent flaws with the game and even now it's going to be very difficult for someone starting from nothing. People on GAF might tell you otherwise but that's just my opinion.
I'll take your word for it, it's more or less as I expected. I couldn't invest the amount of time needed to really play a MMO anyway. I just sort of feel bad about not having played a numbered FF entry.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Mr. Spinnington said:
bit on AA + Just Cause. more or less for just cause, with the added bonus of having AA in my steam library now

pricing on batman was really stupid. really? a package deal cheaper than one game? i wouldn't have touched this until i saw that total value price ;p

I just did the same thing.
Figure why not have AA on my steam account and same with Just Cause. During the summer drought they will come in handy.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
They still haven't fixed the batman price? Did they at least remove that 60% icon?

I could just consider just cause as a $2 bonus, but I really didn't want it anyway.

wenis said:
I just did the same thing.
Figure why not have AA on my steam account and same with Just Cause. During the summer drought they will come in handy.
sadly for me i bit on gfwl but the download would never finish and i'm compulsive about my pc games all being in my steam account if i can help it. i bought mass effect for $5 on D2D which is a great service but it drives me up the wall that it's only a link in my steam library ;p

Durante said:
I'll take your word for it, it's more or less as I expected. I couldn't invest the amount of time needed to really play a MMO anyway. I just sort of feel bad about not having played a numbered FF entry.

don't get me wrong, the game is solid but it has severe flaws and the game population is dwindling

you missed the "boat" by a few years.

That being said, don't let it bother you having not played a "number ff game"

I'm not going to be playing 14 because of how crappy SE's customer service is given the English/Japanese discrimination in the game.

Anyone who wants a $20 copy of Left 4 Dead 2 PM me asap!

Game in the UK are selling the game ridiculously cheap, so I'm happy to buy up a bunch of copies and email the codes if anyone is interested. I did the same for about half a dozen GAFers with AVP and if you check the official thread you'll see they were all very happy with me. Just thought I'd put the offer out there before all the stock is snatched up. I'd rather PC-GAF benefit from the deal than some scumbags from HotUkDeals that will be selling them all for double the price on Ebay.

dysonEA said:
A couple days ago Steam put up the Battlefield Bad Company 2 4-pack then quickly took it off. Anyone know when they're going to put it back up? A few friends of mine wanna get in on that deal. Has Steam said anything new about it?

Steam? No. DICE's KM Troedsson has, though - "Why was the 4-pack BFBC2 bundle removed from Steam? It was the wrong version of the game, should hopefully come back online again soon."

My guess is that the 4-pack will return when they stop selling the Limited Edition on Steam.

Suairyu

Banned
brain_stew said:
Anyone who wants a $20 copy of Left 4 Dead 2 PM me assap!

Game in the UK are selling the game ridiculously cheap, so I'm happy to buy up a bunch of copies and email the codes if anyone is interested. I did the same for about half a dozen GAFers with AVP and if you check the official thread you'll see they were all very happy with me. Just thought I'd put the offer out there before all the stock is snatched up. I'd rather PC-GAF benefit from the deal than some scumbags from HotUkDeals that will be selling them all for double the price on Ebay.
Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered myself a copy and texted my friends to move their asses the moment they wake up and do the same.

Suairyu said:
Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered myself a copy and texted my friends to move their asses the moment they wake up and do the same.

Yeah, I don't expect stock to last too long at that price, that's why I stressed the urgency in my other post. Deal's too good to miss.

brain_stew said:
Anyone who wants a $20 copy of Left 4 Dead 2 PM me asap!

The offer is still good. Surprised the stock has last thing long but I can't see it being around after the weekend so let me know as soon as you can if you want to take advantage of it.

52club

If I hadn't played through AA on my PS3 I would have jumped on this deal this deal. The GFWL was a great deal, and a deal that was a "loss leader" for MS. I'm holding off for $10 from Steam though. If you haven't played it though you could easily justify it for the $22 especially if you like Just Cause.

It is so interesting to watch Steam's pricing and how they respond to other digital download sales. Last year Steam took a while to catch up with D2D sales, this year maybe it is GFWL.

Suairyu

Banned
My friends were fast enough, too. A good day - we only bought the first one in the most recent Christmas sale for a similar price but have played it so much we're ready to move on.
brain_stew said:
I'd rather PC-GAF benefit from the deal than some scumbags from HotUkDeals that will be selling them all for double the price on Ebay.
Never heard of those chaps. They your usual ebay shark or something more foul?

Valve has recently updated the Steamworks page there is some interesting facts from the brochure:

• 1100 games.
  • 140 million Steam achievements unlocked.
  • 1 million active Steam Community groups.
  • 10 million Steam Community profiles.
  • 237 countries.
  • 25 million accounts.
  • 2.7 million concurrent peak players.
  • 21 languages.
  • 500 million minutes played per day.
  • 13 billion minutes played per month.
  • 750 terabytes delivered daily during Holiday Sale.
  • 200+ gigabytes/second of bandwidth.
  • 20 petabytes of data delivered per month.

http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/

Sony and Microsoft might as well just give up now, I'm quite happy for Valve to usher in the one "console" future.

Looks like Steam Cloud has been updated now as well. Valve are offering 100MB per user per game, so it should get some pretty comprehensive support in the future. I'd dare not even contemplate how much someone would be willing to pay to get their hands on the Steam network, its probably the hottest single property in gaming. Its got to be a multi billion dollar asset for Valve now, the potential future (and current!) revenue streams are just ridiculously vast.

Aw crap . . . Batman is the weekend deal.

Man, I am so happy I bought the Eidos Complete pack when it was available.

I did end up buying TR: Anniversary. I couldn't resist.

crimsonheadGCN said:

dayum.jpg

Really hard to imagine how another companies DD service can possibly get as big as Steam tbh, but someone, 1 day, probably will :p

brain_stew said:
Sony and Microsoft might as well just give up now, I'm quite happy for Valve to usher in the one "console" future.

Yeah, I just hope more games get 360 controller support. It makes the games into great console games.

I can see Valve going IPO eventually.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
brain_stew said:

god no. I like Steam but this would be an awful future.

competition is good.

Erudite

NIN90 said:
There gonna be a weekend deal or something?
They didn't have a midweek deal because of the Eidos sale, so it's pretty unlikely at this point that another weekend deal will go up alongside the Batman/Just Cause deals.

Sanjay

dysonEA said:

Come on LovingSteam, TELL US!

Lonely1 said:
ANy impressions on "I'm Not Alone"? Im a sucker for horror games.

My buddy who has a total boner for anything remotely similar to first resident evil tried it and said it was pretty awful.

That said, he is an awful person and can't always be trusted. :lol

Diablohead said:
I am guessing it was eating away too much as possible profits from the single bought version, so they pulled it for now.

A guy from DICE already said that it was pulled because it was "the wrong version". Though that explaination makes absolutely no sense to me so I guess conspiracy theories aren't uncalled for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom