• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanty

°°ToMmY°° said:
how can i change my CC in steam? i looked in the optios but can't find it.
When you're buying something and are at the payment screen you can change it then I'm pretty sure.

Holy shit new UI is awesome. Only thing that bugs me is that the game icons in list and grid mode look really shitty when you have a non-steam game added to your steam list...is there anywhere that I can easily get custom icons that are custom fit for Steams new UI?

Also, custom skins don't work with it yet huh?

Another quick question... is there a way to separate the uninstalled games from the rest of the list? The greyed out titles are alphabetically assorted among the installed games, which I'm not a fan of.

Doytch

Basileus777 said:
Since the latest update for the Beta UI, Steam crashes whenever I try to access the games tab. Anyone else having this issue?
It doesn't do anything when I click on it. Tools/Media/Downloads work fine, Games won't open. Doesn't crash though...

Firehead

MisterAnderson said:
Holy shit new UI is awesome. Only thing that bugs me is that the game icons in list and grid mode look really shitty when you have a non-steam game added to your steam list...is there anywhere that I can easily get custom icons that are custom fit for Steams new UI?

Also, custom skins don't work with it yet huh?

Another quick question... is there a way to separate the uninstalled games from the rest of the list? The greyed out titles are alphabetically assorted among the installed games, which I'm not a fan of.
-There doesn't seem to be a way to add custom icons yet.

-There's a skins topic on the Steam forums - http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1161035

-The new update added an "Installed" category; it separates your uninstalled games as well as keeping them in their custom categories you made for them.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Steam has been annoying me recently. Firstly, every time I log in, it insists on scanning for updates for a good few minutes or so. Secondly, I can't load Toki Tori, which I've yet to play since buying it. I get the "Preparing to launch Toki Tori..." screen which sits there, seemingly going about its usual business, before I eventually get the "Steam servers are current too busy ..." message.

I've tried deleting the ClientRegistry.blob file and switching to different download servers (not that I expected that to do anything), both to no avail.

Edit: Old GUI, FWIW.

Edit 2: Also, every game now has a 30~40 second period of "Preparing ..." before finally booting up. I'm also getting somewhat rare freezes when quitting games, which forces me to restart the PC. What the fuck is happening. :(

web01

The new UI is dodgy as hell, i have had nothing but trouble using it.

Today it decided that it would make it so I could not access any of my games at all with the menu option games not working and blanked out.

Only way to fix it was to opt out of beta.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Doytch said:
It doesn't do anything when I click on it. Tools/Media/Downloads work fine, Games won't open. Doesn't crash though...

It just did this to me as well after installing L4D2. Go to View > Games Details/List/Grid to get to your games list. Then clicking games suddenly starts working again. :lol

Doytch

Great King Bowser said:
It just did this to me as well after installing L4D2. Go to View > Games Details/List/Grid to get to your games list. Then clicking games suddenly starts working again. :lol
Will try this in eight hours when I get off work!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
web01 said:

Today it decided that it would make it so I could not access any of my games at all with the menu option games not working and blanked out.

I had the same problem today after an update, with it only allowing me to select tools. Clicking on 'view' and then 'games list' at the top solved it. However their new update to the UI means that only one category per game is used, whereas I had multiple categories for games.

Javaman

LovingSteam said:
:lol :lol

I stopped by those types of games if it makes you happy. I bought those because I have a little daughter so figured it would be entertaining for her and they were cheap (you don't believe that, do you? lol)

Itza zoo and Itza bitzy are pretty fun for little ones. My 6 year old really likes it. It's similar to scribblenaughts where your drawings come to life.

Everyone should have their $20 L4D2 codes now! :D

I should have another spare one coming tomorrow so the first person to PM me can claim it. I don't want payment for it until it arrives though.

Double D

brain_stew said:
Everyone should have their $20 L4D2 codes now! :D

I should have another spare one coming tomorrow so the first person to PM me can claim it. I don't want payment for it until it arrives though.

What's this about a L4D2 code?

Vik_Vaughn said:
What's this about a L4D2 code?

Game in the UK were selling retail copies super cheap over the weekend so I bought a bunch of copies and I've passed them onto fellow GAFers without hiking the price way up. Since a retail copy can be registered on Steam just fine, I felt there was no reason GAFers outside of the UK should miss out. :D

The last one is yours, all gone now.

brain_stew said:
Game in the UK were selling retail copies super cheap over the weekend so I bought a bunch of copies and I've passed them onto fellow GAFers without hiking the price way up. Since a retail copy can be registered on Steam just fine, I felt there was no reason GAFers outside of the UK should miss out. :D

The last one is yours, all gone now.
Ah damn, I was too slow. Wanted to get a copy for a friend.

I hope Steam has some kinda deal for L4D2 soon (maybe when the new DLC comes out.)

Twig

Banned
Anybody tried playing Freedom Force on Windows 7?

Crashes almost every time I close the game, won't let me proceed past the level I'm on (old save file, from Vista, where it worked perfectly), and compatibility mode literally makes the game unplayable. When I try to move the characters, they go to a completely different position from what I indicated... sometimes off the map.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
dollartaco said:
So, I picked up Space Rangers 2. Whoa.

xlbi1k.jpg

Doytch

Twig said:
Anybody tried playing Freedom Force on Windows 7?

Crashes almost every time I close the game, won't let me proceed past the level I'm on (old save file, from Vista, where it worked perfectly), and compatibility mode literally makes the game unplayable. When I try to move the characters, they go to a completely different position from what I indicated... sometimes off the map.
It always crashes on close, but that's the only "problem" I have, which really isn't one. I'm using a new savefile though...

zombieshavebrains said:
Dragon Age: Origins 33% off

And vouching for brain_stew. Paypaled him on Mon. for the l4d2 code and got it today, installing now.

£26.79 in the UK and yet its been available at retail for £15 for bloody ages now. Crappy deal.

zombieshavebrains said:
Dragon Age: Origins 33% off

And vouching for brain_stew. Paypaled him on Mon. for the l4d2 code and got it today, installing now.

Happy to help. Enjoy! :D

I've done this for both L4D2 and AVP now so if a similar deal comes up for a Steamworks title I'll go ahead and do the same.

graywolf323

when Awakenings eventually goes on sale I might buy it but not for $40

funny how this means the full game is cheaper than the expansion for the moment at least

vermadas

panda21 said:
midweek madness is dragonage origins 33% off.

question is will they do a bundle with awakening that will include this anyway??

I keep waiting for them to announce some sort of GotY edition that includes all the extra DLC crap they've released along with Awakenings but I'm starting to get antsy. My friends keep telling me about how awesome the game is and a solid fantasy RPG sounds really good right now. I have so many games to play though...

web01 said:

Same here. When I first started using the new UI it worked fine but last night it wouldn't show me any games. I tried restarting, etc. I had to revert back to the old UI as well.

Quite frankly while I like some of the improvements in the new UI I don't like the interface. It's certainly prettier but I don't find it any easier to use, in fact it's the opposite as far as listing and launching games is concerned. I liked the simplicity of the old UI.

Twig

Banned
Doytch said:
It always crashes on close, but that's the only "problem" I have, which really isn't one. I'm using a new savefile though...
Yeah, I don't really care that it crashes on close. Annoying, but Source games have been doing it on and off for ages, so whatever.

I doubt the fact that I'm sing an old save file would have anything to do with my problems. So sad. ):

Saira has been added to the Steam library:

Valve said:
Saira Now Available on Steam!
Product Release - Valve

Saira is now available on Steam for 10% off the first week!

This game is a puzzle platformer with non-linear gameplay and a whole universe for you to explore. The game is heavily influenced by classic puzzle adventure games and uses a new unique graphical style combining high resolution photography into a lush and mysterious world.

Lothars

vermadas said:
I keep waiting for them to announce some sort of GotY edition that includes all the extra DLC crap they've released along with Awakenings but I'm starting to get antsy. My friends keep telling me about how awesome the game is and a solid fantasy RPG sounds really good right now. I have so many games to play though...

I would wait than, I am going to wait for Awakening to have a sale before I get it on PC, but if you wait they will release a GOTY edition probably this fall.

crimsonheadGCN said:
Saira has been added to the Steam library:
Remind me, this is by the dude who made knytt right? Much as I want to support his games I think this one looks terrible, has that nasty cheap flash animation feel to it compared to knytt and knytt stories :(

crimsonheadGCN said:
A new article by The Escapist was released today and it's called Steam: A Monopoly In the Making.

Good read, Steamworks is definitely a tricky subject- on one hand it provides free features to developers and improves the game, but then requires Steam to use. As a consumer I like Steamworks, but I can see how it is the kiss of death for other DD companies. The general consensus, at least on these boards seems to be- "I want Steam to have competition, but I like buying all my games on Steam." Non-Steam DD purchased games now are perceived as an inferior product compared to the Steam version, and that is going to be a serious problem down the road.

what happens if Valve's current gamer-friendly management retires or is ousted in a corporate coup?

This is my biggest fear with Steam, because honestly I feel things can only go downhill from what we have now.

Haeleos

Inkwell said:
Is it worth getting the digital deluxe edition?

It includes one of the DLCs, but the DLC has been crap so far. I'd recommend getting the normal edition, and just paying the extra $5 later on if you really, really like the game. All the extra items included in the expansion can be downloaded for free through user mods.

BuddhaRockstar said:
Good read, Steamworks is definitely a tricky subject- on one hand it provides free features to developers and improves the game, but then requires Steam to use. As a consumer I like Steamworks, but I can see how it is the kiss of death for other DD companies. The general consensus, at least on these boards seems to be- "I want Steam to have competition, but I like buying all my games on Steam." Non-Steam DD purchased games now are perceived as an inferior product compared to the Steam version, and that is going to be a serious problem down the road.

This is my biggest fear with Steam, because honestly I feel things can only go downhill from what we have now.

That is a big fear, I agree. The only thing we can count on is that Gabe hires folks with a like mind in terms of not becoming a dictatorship. Honestly, I would rather have it be the way it currently is than have them go public and be required to face stockholders who simply are out for the $$$

Diablohead said:
Remind me, this is by the dude who made knytt right? Much as I want to support his games I think this one looks terrible, has that nasty cheap flash animation feel to it compared to knytt and knytt stories :(

Yes, it's by the same person who developed the Knytt series.

Inkwell

Banned
Haeleos said:
It includes one of the DLCs, but the DLC has been crap so far. I'd recommend getting the normal edition, and just paying the extra $5 later on if you really, really like the game. All the extra items included in the expansion can be downloaded for free through user mods.
OK, thanks. I was leaning in the direction of the normal edition anyway. I got the Mass Effect 2 digital deluxe version, and for the most part it wasn't worth it.

Twig

Banned
BuddhaRockstar said:
on one hand it provides free features to developers and improves the game, but then requires Steam to use
Who says? Nothing I've seen has ever confirmed this, and in fact, I've heard people say otherwise.

I know the article says it's required, but I dunno. I remember reading it WASN'T required to publish on Steam back when it was first announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom