• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
If Valve were a public company, I could see things going south in the future. But they aren't, and Gabe Newell is a saint. I have faith.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Twig said:
I know the article says it's required, but I dunno. I remember reading it WASN'T required to publish on Steam back when it was first announced.

I thought I remembered reading that as well, so you aren't the only one.

Twig said:
Who says? Nothing I've seen has ever confirmed this, and in fact, I've heard people say otherwise.

I know the article says it's required, but I dunno. I remember reading it WASN'T required to publish on Steam back when it was first announced.

From what I remember of the Steamworks announcement last year, Valve said that it was not required to integrate with Steam, but the developer would need to create their own version of the Steam network for the features of Steamworks to function. Since I doubt many developers want to put in the money or time to make their own network, they just choose to integrate it with Steam.

Twig

Banned
crimsonheadGCN said:
From what I remember of the Steamworks announcement last year, Valve said that it was not required to integrate with Steam, but the developer would need to create their own version of the Steam network for the features of Steamworks to function. Since I doubt many developers want to put in the money or time to make their own network, they just choose to integrate it with Steam.
Ahh, that would make sense, then.

Wiki entry for Steam says NBA 2k9 uses Steamworks but isn't on Steam. But the demo IS on Steam. How weird!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_(content_delivery)#Steamworks

tjohn86

To celebrate Everquest’s 11th anniversary, you can get the EverQuest Starter Pack for about 87% off the regular price. This bundle includes the base game, the newest expansion, all fourteen of the previous expansions, and two Steam-exclusive in-game items. If you’re opening a new account, you also get the first 30 days free. Being an MMO, so there will be monthly fees to keep playing after that. Sale is on from now through Friday, March 26.

Everquest has 15 expansions?

Volcynika

tjohn86 said:
Everquest has 15 expansions?

911NN.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
$2.50 for a new Everquest account with all but the most recent expansion? I'll have to let a few of my old EQ buddies know so they might give the game a try again.

Odrion

Banned
mikekennyb said:
Right now Steam is great, but dictators rarely stay benevolent forever.
Valve has been pushing hard for years to research ways they can profit off of treating their customers nicely. Free maps for various games, the class patches for TF2, the Portal ARG, the huge steam sales. Valve are the good guys, and if they were to become something big like Activision, well I'd kinda be happy.

Twig

Banned
Desaparecido said:
Does Steamworks require the Steam client for technical reasons or just because Valve wants people to use Steam?
Twig said:
crimsonheadGCN said:
Ahh, that would make sense, then.

Wiki entry for Steam says NBA 2k9 uses Steamworks but isn't on Steam. But the demo IS on Steam. How weird!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_(content_delivery)#Steamworks
In other words: both?

confused

Banned
So, whenever I click on my game library in Steam, Steam shuts itself down. I'm on the BETA btw.

Anybody know how to help this ? I want to play my games.....

graywolf323

DustoMan said:
Oh sorry about that. That news page hasn't shown up yet in my Google Reader. (I'm at work; they block Steam and the Steampowered site.)

my community college is like that

oddly Steam client works with friends and being able to go online in games/download them

but I can't access the store or community features

my college is retarded

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
confused said:
So, whenever I click on my game library in Steam, Steam shuts itself down. I'm on the BETA btw.

Anybody know how to help this ? I want to play my games.....

Use the View menu options to access the game library and it should then work correctly from then on.

Steam forums

Macmanus

I'm pretty sure there is an official thread for this, but since I like everyone in this thread more I'm finally getting rid of my additional copy of Half-Life 2. If for some unknown reason one of you slags hasn't played it and actually has some sort of desire to, shoot me a PM.

Edit: Gone!

Oh christ, the beta updated and it completely ruined everything. Categories are no longer tags -- a game can be in exactly one category and that's it. The favorites category works this way too, so favorites are useless again. I never used the favorites because it took a game out of the main list and stuck it at the top of the list, so I would end up looking in the wrong place and it actually took longer to find something. So now it's exactly like that again, except you also have all your custom categories between favorites and the rest of your games. And a game can only be in one of those sections. This interface is crap now.

panda21

BobJustBob said:
Oh christ, the beta updated and it completely ruined everything. Categories are no longer tags -- a game can be in exactly one category and that's it. The favorites category works this way too, so favorites are useless again. I never used the favorites because it took a game out of the main list and stuck it at the top of the list, so I would end up looking in the wrong place and it actually took longer to find something. So now it's exactly like that again, except you also have all your custom categories between favorites and the rest of your games. And a game can only be in one of those sections. This interface is crap now.

:(

makes sense for the way it displays categories in the new one, otherwise it would have to list lots of games twice, but i really liked the tags.

Oreoleo

BobJustBob said:

I posted the same thing in the Steam UI thread. I don't know what they are smoking over there in Washington but this update fucked everything up. What a mess.

graywolf323

BobJustBob said:

I don't like it either, completely messed with my categories since apparently Favorites overrided everything else

Sorry for the rest of you but this update was exactly what I wanted. I put each game under one tag and now I can find them a lot easier. They should try and add support for both methods, though.

If they don't fix it I'll have to go back to the old method of not categorizing anything so it's all in one big list. Categories are supposed to make it easier to find things, not harder. They've had tags figured out ever since TF2 came out. Just rip off the tag system from that server browser! Fuck!

Slavik81

C&C 4 is up...

no fanfare...

it has ridiculous DRM...

and it's tanking on metacritic...

what a lovely end to one of my favourite franchises...

Slavik81 said:
C&C 4 is up...

no fanfare...

it has ridiculous DRM...

and it's tanking on metacritic...

what a lovely end to one of my favourite franchises...
I played the beta for a while. It's no C&C, but I didn't think it was bad.

That said, because of the DRM, I probably won't get it until it's a bargain price on Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom