• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
MoFuzz said:
Nine dollars. Let's not get carried away here. Thinking you would get a whole ten dollars off. What's next, free maps? Tsk tsk.
You can use the savings to help pay for the upcoming map pack!

Mrbob

Wow this is probably one of the worst weekend deals in a long, long time.

Bad week overall regarding Steam sales or lack thereof.

and to boot I'm getting the 'could not load localization.txt error'...

running through the steam forum suggestions now so we'll see where this goes...

edit: (when trying to run MW2 that is)

Bjern Fita said:
and to boot I'm getting the 'could not load localization.txt error'...

running through the steam forum suggestions now so we'll see where this goes...

edit: (when trying to run MW2 that is)

Restart steam.

And then u find out the preload didn't come with the patches :lol

I d/l it because I'm bored and figured hey it's free, boy I hate Activision.

Hot dog, according to forums and my queue, the pre-load was a super useful small fraction of the game, only 8 gigs to go.....

Shouldn't be complaining about free stuff but I thought pre-loading meant it's game time when the 'awesome weekend deal' unlocks....

(Restart steam if you get the same issue)

Another 5 hours of patches :lol

How can it be a free weekend when u have to download another 8gb after the free period begins.

O well, time to delete.

Firehead

Spotless Mind said:
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom looks awesome. Will buy!

:lol at the MW2 deal.
Yeah, pre-ordered it. And it seems you don't have to wait until the 20th for it to unlock, it asked me to download it right away and it installed all of the files, unencrypted and playable.

Edit: Falls? Wait, what?

Spl1nter

MrPing1000 said:
Another 5 hours of patches :lol

How can it be a free weekend when u have to download another 8gb after the free period begins.

O well, time to delete.

Going to hold off on the DL to see if a smaller one comes out. 11 gb is just way to much for 3 days.

mrgone

b.e.r.g said:
Meh... posting it on gaf is enough.

In all seriousness I'm really hoping Valve gets the new client up to snuff soon too. It looks so mouthwateringly good compared to the standard client

Red Scarlet

So the game downloaded and I clicked it to see if I needed to dl anything else, and I get this:

mw2huh.png

???

dLMN8R

This post didn't get any replies two pages ago :-(
crimsonheadGCN said:
Madballs in... Babo: Invasion will have a free weekend from April 16 to April 18.
Awesome game! I played it on a guest pass from a friend and it's a really fun multiplayer game. Haven't purchased it yet, but I might do so after next week :D

squinters

astigmatic
I've been re-downloading the COD MW2 free weekend thing for the past hour (I got the localization error with the preload) and I'm only at 24% at 1.1 MB. Welp, only three more hours to goooooooooo.

Red Scarlet said:
So the game downloaded and I clicked it to see if I needed to dl anything else, and I get this:

???

Apparently, the pre-load wasn't a a pre-load after all. More of a pre-load load. You need to load the rest of the game because the pre-load didn't load all of the pre-load.

GHG

Red Scarlet said:

mw2huh.png

???

They have it wrong. The fatal error is that it still costs too much.

Red Scarlet

MarshMellow96 said:
Apparently, the pre-load wasn't a a pre-load after all. More of a pre-load load. You need to load the rest of the game because the pre-load didn't load all of the pre-load.

So how do I finish the loading? That thing pops up when I double click the game.

Hawk SE

I restarted Beta UI and under All Games is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Multiplayer to Pre-Load
- It's downloading now!

Truespeed

Red Scarlet said:

mw2huh

???

If you haven't already, try these:

1) Create a localization.txt dummy file and place it in the COD folder

or

2) Scan your HD for a file called localization.txt and place it in a folder that's defined in your PATH variable

Red Scarlet

Truespeed said:
If you haven't already, try these:

1) Create a localization.txt dummy file and place it in the COD folder

or

2) Scan your HD for a file called localization.txt and place it in a folder that's defined in your PATH variable

I tried #1, putting it in D:\steam\steamapps\common\call of duty modern warfare 2

And now I get this:

mw2huh2.png

lol :|

Chris R

MarshMellow96 said:
And the other bit is 8 gigs? Nevermind then :lol this shit is just too funny though.

Red Scarlet

Nabs says I should probably just re-dl it. I guess I can do that while I sleep, since Himu wants to play The Parish for the first time tonight.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This MW2 weekend has to be some kind of bad joke. A barrage of technical mishaps and one of the worst weekend deals in Steam history.

Firebrand

Deleting / renaming the ClientRegistry.blob file sometimes fixes Steam problems, try that. Don't know if it kills any Steam settings though.

Lead & Gold should not have launched w/o dedicated servers. It's so laggy that I don't see how they are going to generate positive word-of-mouth.

Firehead said:
Yeah, pre-ordered it. And it seems you don't have to wait until the 20th for it to unlock, it asked me to download it right away and it installed all of the falls, unencrypted and playable.

Damn. Didn't work out that way for me.

Firehead

CabbageRed said:
Damn. Didn't work out that way for me.
Look in Steam's common folder for "winterbottom", it's not launch-able through Steam itself.

Quick, edit my quote in your post to say "files"! I haven't a clue why I said "falls", but the quote is driving me nuts.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Firestorm said:
I am going to be looking at my Blotter and if I see someone buy MW2 because of this "deal" I am deleting them.

Deleting them from your friends list probably isn't enough, you should delete them from the internet. Goddamn scum.

Firehead said:
Look in Steam's common folder for "winterbottom", it's not launch-able through Steam itself.

No joy, but no worries. It didn't prompt me to download after purchase so it looks like I'll just be waiting till launch day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom