• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

graywolf323

wow this has been a disappointing week in deals

no mid-week deal and now MW2 is on "sale" for 15% off :lol making it still more than most games at full price

God I am so psyched for Serious Sam: The Second Encounter. I love the first two games, but the second game was leaps and bounds above the first in terms of level design.

so who wants to play some mw2 with me :lol :lol i bought it at launch and haven't touched since finishing the solo player what a waste of 60 bucks

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Who else thinks it was Activision fault that we didn't get a mid week deal? i am pretty sure they didn't want some other sale to rob the spotlight of their awesome 15% discount.

*reads thread*

*cancels download*

Edit: TRIES to cancel download. Jane, how do I stop this crazy thing?

Edit2: I couldn't pause it. So I exited Steam, restarted it, and removed local content.

But I'm stuck with the taint I guess . . . and I didn't even play it. :-/

Struct09

I'm getting the localization.txt error too :-/

EDIT: Looks like a problem with the pre-load not completely downloading the game. I set my language for the game to Spanish, and now it's downloading the missing 8GB

IceMarker

Struct09 said:
I'm getting the localization.txt error too :-/

EDIT: Looks like a problem with the pre-load not completely downloading the game. I set my language for the game to Spanish, and now it's downloading the missing 8GB
Same.

Well I was gonna give it a shot, but I'll stick to BC2. I'm not downloading another 12GB on a 150k connection.

Fuuuuuuck that.

Toby

Ah shit, im at 92% with MW2 so I will just keep going. Either way, I am pretty sure I will think it is dull and nothing special, I really just want to try it so I can have a basis for thinking that.

vocab

UGH. This game is awful. I played the console version, but I really need to see the PC version. There is no sense of skill in this game what so ever. All my deaths were from a harrier. At least COD4 was playable, this is just a joke. Locked Fov, bad netcode, Random fps spikes are also awesome.

Red Scarlet

I still want to try playing with Mutfox and the l4d2 crew. Going to re-download it tonight when I go to sleep. If it still won't work, then I guess that's that.

Red Scarlet

Red Scarlet said:
I still want to try playing with Mutfox and the l4d2 crew. Going to re-download it tonight when I go to sleep. If it still won't work, then I guess that's that.

Strider2K99 said:
meh, never mind.

Eh, you tell folks from the MW2 thread to talk smack in the BC2 thread or stuff. Don't wimp out.

kuYuri

Red Scarlet said:
Eh, you tell folks from the MW2 thread to talk smack in the BC2 thread or stuff. Don't wimp out.

They do talk smack. Just not as much.

Also, my post wasn't talking smack about BC2.

Red Scarlet

Yep, I went back looking and you were responding to Dresden saying folks do that in the BC2 thread. NINJA EDIT

I am too late! You quoted me! arrrrr

my bad

kuYuri

Red Scarlet said:
Yep, I went back looking and you were responding to Dresden saying folks do that in the BC2 thread. NINJA EDIT

I am too late! You quoted me! arrrrr

my bad

I'm confused now. :lol

Red Scarlet

I was thinking of a post in the MW2 thread where you replied to Dresden who said people would quote things from the MW2 thread in the BC2 thread. Your edit up there made me think of that post, but I was remembering it wrong, as if you were replying to Dres in that thread with "I go into the BC2 thread to annoy them" basically. But I remembered wrong. So I apologized for what I said. etc. And stuff.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
A large part of our L4D VS crew (Nabs, Vertopci, Morningbus, Sanjay, Buddharockstar) downloaded MW2 to try it out and we had a ton of fun tonight. Must have played 3-4 hours with them.

I was accused of hacking and I checked my score and I had slightly over a 1:1 kd ratio, which is a little better than usual for me :(

NG28

I got this sudden urge to play Chaos Theory. Any chance steam will discount the previous SC games when Conviction drops? I know it'll only make a difference of probably $5, but steam spoiled me.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
NG28 said:
I got this sudden urge to play Chaos Theory. Any chance steam will discount the previous SC games when Conviction drops? I know it'll only make a difference of probably $5, but steam spoiled me.

Probably not, but they are all still worth 10$.

Spwn

-15%!!! This will definitely live on as the best Steam deal ever. :lol

Pre-loaded, deleted... Never gonna touch it again.

Grayman

wow. I was going to come in here and ask if there were any good deals this weekend, someone would say MW2, and I would say something trollish, but after reading this last page I do not have to.

panda21

this must be the worst deal ever :lol

i thought they were doing this to coincide with the map pack but its not even out for the PC for another month or something because of the 360 exclusive.

edit: wait don't steam decide the prices anyway? like obviously they have to sell MW2 for more because presumably activision charge them more, but i thought it was up to them what price they sell things for so when they do a sale they can make it whatever they want surely?

Grayman

panda21 said:
this must be the worst deal ever :lol

i thought they were doing this to coincide with the map pack but its not even out for the PC for another month or something because of the 360 exclusive.

edit: wait don't steam decide the prices anyway? like obviously they have to sell MW2 for more because presumably activision charge them more, but i thought it was up to them what price they sell things for so when they do a sale they can make it whatever they want surely?
Publisher sets the price. Steam cannot arbitrarily drop the price because it is the publishers supply and money.

The Amazon kindle used to have a model where they could set prices and loss lead(still might for some publishers) because they bought a "stock" of books "wholesale" for sale.

panda21

Grayman said:
Publisher sets the price. Steam cannot arbitrarily drop the price because it is the publishers supply and money.

The Amazon kindle used to have a model where they could set prices and loss lead(still might for some publishers) because they bought a "stock" of books "wholesale" for sale.

yeah thats what i would have thought, but i saw it mentioned once that they actually just buy a set amount of the game that they can sell for whatever price they like? maybe for some games the publishers set the price themselves and valve take a cut?

i dunno could be rubbish, just read it somewhere on the internets.

vazel

Banned
Grayman said:

Stores can drop the price on their own. It's called loss leader with the idea being that customers will buy other products too or at least build loyalty to the store.

Grayman

vazel said:
Stores can drop the price on their own. It's called loss leader with the idea being that customers will buy other products too or at least build loyalty to the store.
steam sells on an agency model and takes a cut around 30%. they do not have a product to drop the price on. the publisher sets the price within whatever rules steam may have(regional stuff, parity with other services). They can agree on sales with publishers but gaben can not wake up and drop activision's or thq's game to half off to loss lead.

vazel

Banned
Grayman said:
steam sells on an agency model and takes a cut around 30%. they do not have a product to drop the price on. the publisher sets the price within whatever rules steam may have(regional stuff, parity with other services). They can agree on sales with publishers but gaben can not wake up and drop activision's or thq's game to half off to loss lead.
Agency model? From what I remember Steam gets a stock of game keys from the publisher and sells those game keys. Those keys have actually run out a couple times(last infamous example was Prey).

It downloaded and worked for me, surprisingly smooth on my PC too. I'm having trouble finding a class that fits me though, best I've had is one or two lucky periods with sniper, or running around with the riot shield and spamming melee to surprisingly positive effect. :D

kuYuri

Red Scarlet said:
How big is the download supposed to be? When I started it again it said about 4gb or so, not 12/8.

Hope it works tomorrow.

It's supposed to be 12GB. There's obviously some kind of screw up behind the scenes at Steam. I just deleted the pre-load and restarted the download and it works fine after that.

Start the download now and let it download overnight.

Dynoro

Strider2K99 said:
It's supposed to be 12GB. There's obviously some kind of screw up behind the scenes at Steam. I just deleted the pre-load and restarted the download and it works fine after that.

Start the download now and let it download overnight.
Seems to be just shy of 4GB for me and it says its 100% complete (multiplayer only)

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Oh god, now I know why I never bought these kind of games...

And oh jebus the matchmaking sucks so hard, just give me a server list goddamit.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
vocab said:
UGH. This game is awful. I played the console version, but I really need to see the PC version. There is no sense of skill in this game what so ever. All my deaths were from a harrier. At least COD4 was playable, this is just a joke. Locked Fov, bad netcode, Random fps spikes are also awesome.

Really the game basically goes like this.

Shoot with gun till killstreak>get killstreak to know where they are>get killstreak that kills them>this killstreak then leads to another killstreak that kills them>etc.

Its just an endless game of who can get to the killstreaks first and then control the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom