• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kosma

Banned
If youre getting killed by harriers, choppers etc all the time maybe you should use some perks that hide you from them eh.

Still waiting for my game to patch up but yes that is a good way of explaining multiplayer in MW2, first one to 7 kills takes map control depending on his kill streak setup.

I don't feel the need to buy the game but I play it at my cousins and have fun for a few hours, usually go with some wacky setup instead of playing all serious like.

So I started to play another session, got matched into a server, got a "Bonus XP Day!" message or something like that from the HUD, and now I'm a Level 70 Commander. Gee, that's not going to look really bad when I'm stumbling around the maps getting my ass handed to me over and over. :lol

Won

Just saw the -15% deal. That's.....amazing! Activision really loves to troll their customers. :lol

Impressions in here also sound pretty fun!

Daigoro

wow 15% huh? what a bargain.

Kulock said:
So I started to play another session, got matched into a server, got a "Bonus XP Day!" message or something like that from the HUD, and now I'm a Level 70 Commander. Gee, that's not going to look really bad when I'm stumbling around the maps getting my ass handed to me over and over. :lol

nice :lol

Kulock said:
I just got that too about 20 minutes ago :lol was it on rust? quite amazing that only 1 hour into my free play that I hit 70 :lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Help. Steam (beta) keeps telling me it needs to install the same update, over and over again, no matter how many times I tell it to go ahead.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
*downloads game*

*notices you can't even pick certain game modes unless you are a specific level (wat)*

*plays 1 round*

*gets bored*

11 gb well spent.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Archie said:
*downloads game*

*notices you can't even pick certain game modes unless you are a specific level (wat)*

*plays 1 round*

*gets bored*

When I was playing with my buddies last night it was their first time playing a Call of Duty game and I unwisely brought them into a Hardcore HQ Pro and I think it overwhelmed the, a bit. We then dialed it back to Hardcore TDM which was still a little much. Basic TDM really is a sweet spot for beginners and they most likely limited it that way because of that. It's stupidly annoying for vets of the series though.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Grayman said:
steam sells on an agency model and takes a cut around 30%. they do not have a product to drop the price on. the publisher sets the price within whatever rules steam may have(regional stuff, parity with other services). They can agree on sales with publishers but gaben can not wake up and drop activision's or thq's game to half off to loss lead.

How do you know Valve takes a 30% cut of games sales? i though that info was confidencial, did someone blew the NDA?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Stallion Free said:
When I was playing with my buddies last night it was their first time playing a Call of Duty game and I unwisely brought them into a Hardcore HQ Pro and I think it overwhelmed the, a bit. We then dialed it back to Hardcore TDM which was still a little much. Basic TDM really is a sweet spot for beginners and they most likely limited it that way because of that. It's stupidly annoying for vets of the series though.
I'm a big boy and I don't need mommy IW telling me what I can and cannot play. If I see that I can't handle a certain game mode, I'll pick something else. I shouldn't have to fill up a bar 15 times to give me the privilege of playing something that should be available when I first boot the game.

Gexecuter said:
How do you know Valve takes a 30% cut of games sales? i though that info was confidencial, did someone blew the NDA?

I've heard the 70% developer cut figure numerous times from competitors and developers. Nobody has suggested a different figure so it must be accurate.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Archie said:
I'm a big boy and I don't need mommy IW telling me what I can and cannot play. If I see that I can't handle a certain game mode, I'll pick something else. I shouldn't have to fill up a bar 15 times to give me the privilege of playing something that should be available when I first boot the game.

That's why I said it's stupidly annoying.

LQX

Archie said:
It is a free trial you know. Its like you downloaded specifically to get angry and bitch instead of giving it a chance.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
TouchMyBox said:
I've heard the 70% developer cut figure numerous times from competitors and developers. Nobody has suggested a different figure so it must be accurate.
30% though? I thought it was 15%. I heard they get 50% from Gmod sales though.

butts

So if I buy Fallout 3 (non-GOTY) on Steam can I buy the expansions later if I want? Or does Steam not sell the expansions separately?

Sanjay

This is what Nabs told me to do and it worked.

1. Downloaded the preload which was 4gig completed
2. Exit Steam
3. Edited the name of the MW2 folder and added "backup"
4. Start Steam
5. Delete local content of MW2
6. Start download again of MW2 but this time its showing up as 11gig
7. Exit steam
8. I deleted the current MW2 folder and named the one before back to its original folders name
9. Start Steam, now wait till its fully downloaded
10. Restart steam, game should work now

Sorry PC GAF but this game is way fun and I think I'm going to buying it for sure now, all this talk of perks, lag, matchmaking, game being hard and stuff is nonsense, this game is well easy compared to Counterstrike that game is brutal compared to it. I'm just so shocked how easy it is to kill with a GUN that uses BULLETS, all you have to do is have your mouse aim on the guy, and shoot and he drops dead. Coming from BC2 this is a sign of relief to see people use guns and not rocket launchers and grenade launchers to kill people mostly.

Anyways the point is the game is fun and makes me feel like John Rambo and I love how they 1up you for every little thing, kind of boosts your confidences into doing more resulting in fun gameplay and less of a camp fest.

Archie said:

Says the guy with a TF2 Avatar.

Lumine

Damnit, this MW2 weekend just completely killed Steam for me. After trying to run MW2 a couple of times and redownloading it a couple of times all it did was crash Steam each time. Now I can't launch it anymore at all. I'm getting that clientregistrybob/cmultfieldblob error. I did all the steps on the Steam Support page to try and get rid of the error but to no avail. Looks like I'm going to have to completely re-install Steam. My folder is 60gb big. :((

I suppose I could copy the steamapps folder so I won't have to redownload everything. Does that work? Does this work for save games and other stuff as well?

Ugh I don't even think I can make 60gb free. And by the time I'm done with all this I bet the MW2 weekend will be over. :S

Sanjay

I remember them giving an extra day for another game where they messed up with the free amount of time allowed to be played I believe so, so if were lucky then we might just get it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
butts said:
So if I buy Fallout 3 (non-GOTY) on Steam can I buy the expansions later if I want? Or does Steam not sell the expansions separately?

You would have the get the expansions through Games for Windows Live and my experience getting them through that was terrible. I would just wait for a sale on the GOTY edition, I will probably end up picking that version myself so I don't have to deal with installing each expansion in the future.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
NG28 said:
I got this sudden urge to play Chaos Theory. Any chance steam will discount the previous SC games when Conviction drops? I know it'll only make a difference of probably $5, but steam spoiled me.
I saw a collection pack at a retailer recently - 10€ for all Splinter Cells.

vocab

I like how my 5850 has no problems with MW2 maxed out @ 1080p, but I get a random 10 frame loss every now and then on Terminal. That map is poorly optimized.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
vocab said:
I like how my 5850 has no problems with MW2 maxed out @ 1080p, but I get a random 10 frame loss every now and then on Terminal. That map is poorly optimized.

I have a 5850 as well with everything maxed, 1080p, 4x AA and no V-sync and I rarely drop from the built in fps limit of 92? Max drop I have seen is to like 88 fps. I would recommend not using V-sync as this game has almost little to no tearing from my experience and V-sync should never be used in competitive shooters.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Sanjay said:
Sorry PC GAF but this game is way fun and I think I'm going to buying it for sure now, all this talk of perks, lag, matchmaking, game being hard and stuff is nonsense, this game is well easy compared to Counterstrike that game is brutal compared to it. I'm just so shocked how easy it is to kill with a GUN that uses BULLETS, all you have to do is have your mouse aim on the guy, and shoot and he drops dead. Coming from BC2 this is a sign of relief to see people use guns and not rocket launchers and grenade launchers to kill people mostly.

I tried telling people this and they called me 402 and told me to QQ. <3 you Sanjay, can't wait to play with you tonight/morning for you.

butts

Stallion Free said:
I tried telling people this and they called me 402 and told me to QQ. <3 you Sanjay, can't wait to play with you tonight/morning for you.

Oh it can definitely be fun at times, but it is sad to think of what might have been while you play it. I don't regret buying it for $30 when I did.

I played it this morning for ~20 matches. Nothing special but it looks good and runs well. If it hits $20, I'd get it.

What I can't stand are all these unlocks, perks, killstreaks, deathstreaks, and etc. It's not that I don't like options, but it puts me in matches with people that are level 20, or 50, or even 70. ...When I'm level 5.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
All this talk of MW2 pricing got me thinking and if Activision decided to split the game in half, and charged 30$ for each half, it would probably sell like fucking crazy. I have a bunch of friends who are enjoying the multiplayer and if they could buy that portion of the game exclusively (as in what is available for free this weekend) for 30$ they definitely would. It would probably be heralded as tremendous value as well. Also, 30$ for a blockbuster movie-esque 6 hour campaign combined with a separate co-op mode with 23 unique missions and varied objectives would sell pretty great as well. And it would also be considered a lot of bang for your buck. But putting the two together doesn't really seem to be working and everyone bitches.

Everdred

Stallion Free said:
All this talk of MW2 pricing got me thinking and if Activision decided to split the game in half, and charged 30$ for each half, it would probably sell like fucking crazy. I have a bunch of friends who are enjoying the multiplayer and if they could buy that portion of the game exclusively (as in what is available for free this weekend) for 30$ they definitely would. It would probably be heralded as tremendous value as well. Also, 30$ for a blockbuster movie-esque 6 hour campaign combined with a separate co-op mode with 23 unique missions and varied objectives would sell pretty great as well. And it would also be considered a lot of bang for your buck. But putting the two together doesn't really seem to be working and everyone bitches.
I think thats a great idea especially being that a lot of people have beat the single player already. (Me.)

Valve said:
The Scourge Project: Episode 1 & 2 Now Available, 10% off for the first week
Product Release - Valve

The Scourge Project, a new 3rd person shooter featuring a unique focus on co-operative narrative, is now available on Steam. Save 10% until April 15th.

The game is built from the ground up for co-op, where up to 4 players each experience a personal story while playing together as a squad.

This two-episode bundle offers more than 5 hours of gameplay spanning 4 complete levels, with up to 4 Player Co-op Campaign Mode, 4 Unique Playable Characters to choose from, an arsenal of weapons and special abilities, thrilling boss-fights and environmental puzzles. Jump into a variety of multiplayer modes such as Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag and Frontiers, all of which allow up to 16 Players.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/3687/

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Stallion Free said:
Mostly because few would agree (except your friends, it seems). I mean, I wouldn't get the whole game for half the price, so I obviously wouldn't get half the game for half the price.

You really have to like what it offers to want the multiplayer here, and I'm sorry to say that it's not the case for me. I really don't give a shit about MW2 per se, and all the politics and stupid restrictions compared to other titles on PC make me dislike it in context.

MoFuzz

Valve said:
The Scourge Project: Episode 1 & 2 Now Available, 10% off for the first week
Product Release - Valve

The Scourge Project, a new 3rd person shooter featuring a unique focus on co-operative narrative, is now available on Steam. Save 10% until April 15th.

The game is built from the ground up for co-op, where up to 4 players each experience a personal story while playing together as a squad.

This two-episode bundle offers more than 5 hours of gameplay spanning 4 complete levels, with up to 4 Player Co-op Campaign Mode, 4 Unique Playable Characters to choose from, an arsenal of weapons and special abilities, thrilling boss-fights and environmental puzzles. Jump into a variety of multiplayer modes such as Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag and Frontiers, all of which allow up to 16 Players.
Hmm, a third person co-op shooter with cover based mechanics in a sci-fi setting using the Unreal 3 engine. It's almost as if there was another game that came before that found success with the same formula...

It actually looks like it might be fun though, designed from the ground up for PC should be a boon, will wait and see impressions from Gaf.

Stallion Free said:
Plus it would make double dipping more reasonable.

vocab

Stallion Free said:
I have a 5850 as well with everything maxed, 1080p, 4x AA and no V-sync and I rarely drop from the built in fps limit of 92? Max drop I have seen is to like 88 fps. I would recommend not using V-sync as this game has almost little to no tearing from my experience and V-sync should never be used in competitive shooters.

I never use vsync in fps games. It stays 91 all the time, but drops like mad for a few secs in Terminal. It only happens in Terminal too, I don't know what else to do really. O well.

Struct09 said:
I just played some MW2 multiplayer and had fun. Does this mean I have stop posting on GAF?
If you are not a PC-only guy, you may want to consider the console versions as the PC version did not get much respect.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Struct09 said:
I just played some MW2 multiplayer and had fun. Does this mean I have stop posting on GAF?
:lol :lol
Dude, if you have fun with a game, that's awesome, period. Post away!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
LQX said:
No, means you start posting in the official thread.

Where people won't continually try to shit on you, but will instead discuss a game that they all enjoy. You can learn quite a few things about the game in that thread as well, I enjoy reading it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom