• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

John

Stallion Free said:
All this talk of MW2 pricing got me thinking and if Activision decided to split the game in half, and charged 30$ for each half, it would probably sell like fucking crazy. I have a bunch of friends who are enjoying the multiplayer and if they could buy that portion of the game exclusively (as in what is available for free this weekend) for 30$ they definitely would. It would probably be heralded as tremendous value as well. Also, 30$ for a blockbuster movie-esque 6 hour campaign combined with a separate co-op mode with 23 unique missions and varied objectives would sell pretty great as well. And it would also be considered a lot of bang for your buck. But putting the two together doesn't really seem to be working and everyone bitches.
Uh, or they could make $60 games like they do now and everyone has to "buy both."

Waiting for opinions on Scourge.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Zero Tolerance said:
SO just 15% off of COD4, which makes it $50 (like it was supposed to be at launch). Is that the STEAM sale this weekend???

Yes, what else could you possibly ask for? 25%? 33%? or even 50%? are you some kind of madman?

I really wish the free weekend for Madballs In... Babo: Invasion was this weekend instead of next weekend. Been waiting for it so I could try out the multiplayer and buy it at a discounted price.

Volcynika

Gexecuter said:
Yes, what else could you possibly ask for? 25%? 33%? or even 50%? are you some kind of madman?

Yeah, it's only been out for around 5 months! The man is crazy to expect more!

EDIT: Bought the Scourge Project.

DanDeschain said:
Anybody have any impressions on Lead and Gold?
graywolf323 said:
so what did anyone who already pre-purchased Lead & Gold and participate in the beta think of it? debating if it's worth $13.49
Desaparecido said:
In my opinion, it has its problems, but it's fun and the devs are on top of things.

See this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390669
Sinatar said:
It's alright, I don't know how much longevity it will have as it's very very simple.

brain_stew said:
Why!? The console versions are still significantly inferior.

Actually Activision dumbed down the PC version to be almost a carbon copy of the console versions: only differences being mouse support and the ability to adjust the graphics I believe. 9v9 cap, no dedicated servers or mods, no lean.

I could see why people might spring for the console versions.

MoFuzz

Lone_Prodigy said:
Actually Activision dumbed down the PC version to be almost a carbon copy of the console versions: only differences being mouse support and the ability to adjust the graphics I believe. 9v9 cap, no dedicated servers or mods, no lean.

PC version has higher-rez textures plus the two main points you mentioned, mouse support (lol) and graphics options.

It's still better brah!

ArjanN

Lone_Prodigy said:

Meh, It still looks and controls better on a PC. Only reason to buy the console version is if you want to play against specific console gamers.

Volcynika

Stallion Free said:
I'm intrigued by the trailer I saw, please do post your impressions.

Just about done downloading it (5.6GB) so jumping in shortly.

(I should tell everyone it's awesome now to have people to co-op with! :lol)

Valve has updated their company website:

http://valvesoftware.com/index.html

Valve said:
There's a reason why Valve enjoys a 98% retention rate—one of the highest of any privately-owned company in the country. We hire the best people, and we treat our people well. Highly-competitive salaries, a full benefits and relocation package, annual company-wide vacations and a highly supportive HR team are just a few of the advantages of letting Valve be a part of your future success.

Damn

Volcynika

Impressions through first level of Scourge Project

-Not a huge showstopper in terms of graphics (uses Unreal Engine 3 I think), but it looks ok.
-A small assortment of graphical options (enable V-Sync, detail adjusting, shadow detail)
-All 4 characters have some backstory (I chose a girl that was a junkie apparently!)
-Some squad ordering things, haven't really used yet
-Girl runs awkward as all hell
-Enemies only soldiers so far, they hide by cover and shoot you, but no threat yet
-Uses Gamespy for grouping stuff up
-Third persion shooter of course

Continuing on now! I'll keep this open to answer any questions I can.

EDIT: Just got torn up. If you or a squad mate goes down, you have a timer to be revived. Apparently you can run out of lives though, so that's not infinite at all.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Left 4 Dead prices dropped. $50 for the bundle was the magic number for me. Let's kill things! Woo!

Volcynika

Seems like it'd be a nice little timewaster, haven't found the EPIC BOSSES or whatever in the description, but it starts to throw a good bit of enemies at you in the second level. You can hide behind cover but half the time I forgot what the key was to do that :lol

You also have special abilities (might be character specific), the girl can throw up a quick shield or to a shockwave attack, this is usable if you have your ambrosia meter filled or something.

Slavik81

speculawyer said:
If you are not a PC-only guy, you may want to consider the console versions as the PC version did not get much respect.
The complaint PC gamers had about MW2 was that they made the game more like the console versions. ($60, matchmaking, removing lean, etc.)

Given that, I don't see how buying the console version is any better.

Slavik81 said:
The complaint PC gamers had about MW2 was that they made the game more like the console versions. ($60, matchmaking, removing lean, etc.)

Given that, I don't see how buying the console version is any better.

It's not better, but it's not really any different other than mouse and keyboard controls. MW2 doesn't even look that much better on PC.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Basileus777 said:
It's not better, but it's not really any different other than mouse and keyboard controls. MW2 doesn't even look that much better on PC.

You need some glasses dude, because they game looks fucking excellent on PC maxed out. There are some phenomenal textures and the weapon models are second to none.

Basileus777 said:

After playing MW2 for a couple hours on the 360 with some friends, then jumping on for the PC for a quick few, everytime i say "Damn" at just how much cleaner and more detailed it looks.

Red Scarlet

Ok, so re-downloaded it today..
mw2huh3.png

afkalsfdas90dr87as90r8ase-rasd

It works when I said no, yay.

CryptiK

Red Scarlet said:
Ok, so re-downloaded it today..
mw2huh3.png

afkalsfdas90dr87as90r8ase-rasd

It works when I said no, yay.
thats normal happens in COD4 as well Always say no or the settings get changed to the lowest of low.

Also

Shame on you for downloading it!

Ledsen

ArjanN said:
Meh, It still looks and controls better on a PC. Only reason to buy the console version is if you want to play against specific console gamers.

That, plus not everyone wants to play with a mouse anyway (like me!)

I picked up both the Penny Arcade Adventures on STEAM this week. Finished Ep 1 today and just started the second. They are loads of fun and i regret not buying them earlier. Sucks about episode 3. :/

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom looks pretty badass. There isn't a preorder incentive though. But it is just 5 bucks i guess. Is it out for consoles or do i have to look to youtube to get actual gameplay impressions?

Volcynika

zombieshavebrains said:
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom looks pretty badass. There isn't a preorder incentive though. But it is just 5 bucks i guess. Is it out for consoles or do i have to look to youtube to get actual gameplay impressions?

It's out on XBLA.

vermadas

zombieshavebrains said:

I've played through it on XBLA (sans challenges) and it was well worth the $10 I paid. It wasn't quite Braid caliber, but if you enjoyed Braid you will enjoy Winterbottom.

The game didn't get a lot of attention here on GAF because it came out among some big retail releases.

Dice

Left 4 Dead is showing purple checkerboards everywhere. I don't like wasting $20 so is there anyway to fix it? Left 4 Dead 2 is fine.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dice said:
Left 4 Dead is showing purple checkerboards everywhere. I don't like wasting $20 so is there anyway to fix it? Left 4 Dead 2 is fine.

That means that textures are missing/can't be found. Try verifying your game cache by right clicking the game and going into properties.

John

Desaparecido said:
It seems like L&G has potential and everything, but as of a week ago (last time I played) it was unplayable thanks to connection quality. It's also really basic, but that's not necessarily bad.

Dice

Stallion Free said:
That means that textures are missing/can't be found. Try verifying your game cache by right clicking the game and going into properties.
Worked. Thanks!

denomes

John said:
It seems like L&G has potential and everything, but as of a week ago (last time I played) it was unplayable thanks to connection quality. It's also really basic, but that's not necessarily bad.

It's unfortunate this free weekend all but killed any discussion of this game. Plain Sight as well.

I bought Lead and Gold because I thought it looked cool and it was cheap enough. I was going to wait for the PS3 version but I figured it as more of a PC title.

Anyways, I played it for the first time last night and I absolutely hated it (mostly due to me sucking). But after playing this morning and learning a few gameplay pointers, I'm starting to really warm up to it.

The game mode where you blow up the objectives is pretty cool and well-designed. Unlocking spawn points for the powder kegs is a nice idea, and the moving flag as a spawn point seems to work best in this mode.

The game has some issues, aiming and camera movement seems twitchy and the collision and animation is not the best, but its a fun game once you get the hang of it. I especially appreciate the western motif and the game's commitment to it across maps and objectives. Character designs are also well quite well done.

EDIT:

This game needs to add crouch.

zombieshavebrains said:
It is half the price of the XBLA version, so that is an incentive. :D

And yeah, you can try the XBLA version to see what it is like.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Struct09 said:
I just played some MW2 multiplayer and had fun. Does this mean I have stop posting on GAF?

I don't think anyone who "boycotted" MW2 doubted it would be a fun game. The only reason anyone cared is because they were looking forward to playing it. It's just that when they find out about the jacked-up price and the stripped-down features, people got angry and rightfully so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom