• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truespeed said:
Hey people, just because you hate the company doesn't mean to need to hate the game. MW2 was one of the best games of 2009. Accept it and get over it.

Really?

The hate that the game gets around here is fairly extreme as it is definitely an enjoyable (albeit heavily flawed) game. However I name at least fifteen to twenty games which were better.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
MW2 is a terrible deal because it still costs more than the regular price of every other game on Steam that's not Assassin's Creed or a Digital Deluxe edition.

This is a terrible deal on an already overpriced, typical shooter, lacking expected PC features. I don't think it's downright awful, but I don't understand what there is to defend here. And I've been playing it for a bit.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
px3jo.png

Good luck getting those types of pings in MW2 (unless you are hosting, obviously). The core gameplay is fun, but all the console port stench makes me hate it.

Twig

Banned
Stallion Free said:
I care because all my buddies bought BC2 day one and all they ever did was talk shit about MW2, just like a lot of people in this thread, and then this free weekend came around and they all ate crow/had a blast. I just get sick of people hating on the game without ever having even played it.
I am not hating on the game. I am hating the fact that it does not have features I would have liked it to have. I fully planned to buy the game before I learned of the bullshit. But there are so many other games I DO still have no qualms about that I see no reason to ignore the bullshit and get the game anyway. Ya dig?

And I know I'm not alone. Stop generalizing all the fucking time.

You're so SRS BSNS all the time... it's painful to watch. Lighten up a little bit. ;_; Srs. SRS.
Boonoo said:
Hey! I'm in that picture :D
I'm not. ):

Twig

Banned
Javaman said:
What are you talking about, you're all over the score column. :eek:P
are you implying that i'm being dominated by every single one of those people

cause if you are, damn, that was clever and i totally don't get it

Firestorm

Javaman said:
I've got a crap ton of steam games and didn't pay over $50 for any of them. COD5 can suck it.
I think it's 6 actually.

I think the most I ever paid on Steam was $49.99 for The Orange Box and that was technically 5 games. The next tier down is $37.50 for Fallout 3 - Game of the Year Edition and then it's $33.75 for Left 4 Dead 2, Borderlands 2, and BioShock 2 pre-orders.

I refuse to pay $51 for a 4-month old game. I don't even pay that much for new console games in Canada where they're normally $78 after tax.

Everyone should be buying Plain Sight instead. Amazing game. I bought it just for some quick multiplayer sessions but they all end up turning into sessions of over an hour at a time.

52club

After putting in around 7 hours this weekend I can at least determine my interest in MW2. It is worth the same price I paid for BFBC 2 for me, $20. Of course the MW is still tough to find at this price, so it might be a while before I pick it up.

I got to observe some of the glitches, cheats, and exploits. It isn't a game that is going to be free of those things, probably ever. If you are person that just plays 1st person shooters to shoot things (as someone else mentioned on a different thread) MW2 will be fun for you.

Had fun with the MW2 weekend, actually tempted to buy it but I can't, not enough money, activision annoys me with their management and 1 in 20 games was a glitched mess of moon jumping or exp exploits :(

Still, it has some sort of just-one-more feeling to it, and I am a sucker. Also to me it's a good counter strike replacement I think.

Moobabe

Diablohead said:
Had fun with the MW2 weekend, actually tempted to buy it but I can't, not enough money, activision annoys me with their management and 1 in 20 games was a glitched mess of moon jumping or exp exploits :(

Still, it has some sort of just-one-more feeling to it, and I am a sucker. Also to me it's a good counter strike replacement I think.

WHAT?!?!

Moobabe said:
I played CS for a long time and this game has the same feeling to me, remove the respawns and it seems closely related. That's about as far as it goes though. It might also be that you can take down enemies with 1 burst of a gun instead of half a clip like most shooters out there, it's no quake.

I kept getting put into hacked servers. It was hilarious and actually fun sometimes. One had incredible jump heights and sprint speed, and unlimited ammo. One bumped me up to level 70, no joke. Although that kinda defeated the purpose of the unlocks. I hope they reset that if I ever buy the game. Or maybe I can just go to that prestige mode.

risk

Diablohead said:
I played CS for a long time and this game has the same feeling to me, remove the respawns and it seems closely related. That's about as far as it goes though. It might also be that you can take down enemies with 1 burst of a gun instead of half a clip like most shooters out there, it's no quake.
CS PRO mod 1.4, try it and see if you like it.

Sanjay

Twig said:
but most who are avoiding it are doing so because it's a shitty PC game missing PC features that are important to most fans of PC games

I was like this until I pld the game and saw the light, yeah its p2p, yeah it sucked that its not 32 players, no mods & no servers etc. But end of the day while I was playing the game it was fun and thats what counts really and that far out scales my needs for the PC features it clearly lacks. Most PC gamers won't get it just on principle alone not willing to budge end of.

panda21

so i know theres a DD deals thread but its been dead as a dead dodo for a while..

direct 2 drive spring sale!

http://www.direct2drive.co.uk/promos/spring-sale/

including:

dcs black shark £10.95
gothic 3 - £3.50
dirt 2 - £8.95

and a bunch of other stuff.

sounds like they will have different stuff on sale every week for the next 4 weeks (they do this anyway, but this is that, but better deals).

Twig

Banned
Sanjay said:
I was like this until I pld the game and saw the light, yeah its p2p, yeah it sucked that its not 32 players, no mods & no servers etc. But end of the day while I was playing the game it was fun and thats what counts really and that far out scales my needs for the PC features it clearly lacks. Most PC gamers won't get it just on principle alone not willing to budge end of.
If there weren't a million other PC games I wanted, I might be like you. But I can better spend my money elsewhere on developers that actually do what I want instead of what they claim is best.

Sanjay

Twig said:
If there weren't a million other PC games I wanted.

If you want a top notch competitive FPS theres not much to choose from now days for the PC platform. Theres only 3 to choose from Counter-Strike, Battlefield and the Modern Warfare series really.

I couldn't get into MW2 for the short time I played it. But I can't really blame the game. My PC was too weak to run it and I had no ideas what was going on and just died every 40 seconds or so. Perhaps with a better PC and after playing the game on SP for a while first.

I had much more fun with Team Fortress 2 (with some GAFFers) and Left 4 Dead 2.

Twig

Banned
Sanjay said:
If you want a top notch competitive FPS theres not much to choose from now days for the PC platform. Theres only 3 to choose from Counter-Strike, Battlefield and the Modern Warfare series really.
I said games. Not "top notch competitive FPS."

Also TF2 trumps all those games.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Twig said:
I said games. Not "top notch competitive FPS."

Indeed it does.
Alucrid said:
Does anyone know if Planescape Torment is ever coming to Steam or DD at all?
Odds are slim to none. The license is what's holding back publishers from rereleasing it. It's all over the place according to the internets.

vocab

Twig said:

TF2 used to be a good game before all that achievement farming bullshit, but good god, that demo and soldier update made that game unplayable. Plus random crits in FPS are just flat out dumb.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Sanjay said:
There are plenty to choose from. When you have niche games like Red Orchestra still running around with enough players to get into a match pretty much whenever, of course you have plenty to choose from.

MNC

vocab said:
TF2 used to be a good game before all that achievement farming bullshit, but good god, that demo and soldier update made that game unplayable. Plus random crits in FPS are just flat out dumb.
No, wait, what.

Alucrid

Banned
Jangaroo said:
Odds are slim to none. The license is what's holding back publishers from rereleasing it. It's all over the place according to the internets.

Ehh, damn. I'm sure I'll buy it eventually, but having it on DD would've made it sooo much easier. Thanks for the info.

iam220

I didn't get a response on the official MW2 forums so i'll ask here; How does MW1 compare to 2? I enjoyed the free weekend with 2 but MW1 seems like the better game. (cheaper, Dedicated servers, no kill streaks). Is the gun play the same?

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
vocab said:
WHAT_THE_FUCK.png

vocab

Sorry, I don't like my games broken, and filled with busy work.

iam220 said:
I didn't get a response on the official MW2 forums so i'll ask here; How does MW1 compare to 2? I enjoyed the free weekend with 2 but MW1 seems like the better game. (cheaper, Dedicated servers, no kill streaks). Is the gun play the same?

MW1 has a much more delicate balance with way better maps. MW2 is just unbalanced and encourages camping to get kill streak rewards that win the game for you. The gun play is the same, but you die a lot faster in MW2 simply because of all the gimmicky shit.

vocab

Lothars said:
TF2 isn't broken though.

So having a demo man one shotting me with a sword half way across the map like it's fucking Rome Total War is balanced? TFC is way better. TF is probably better than TFC, but it's older and I'm not sure if there's a community there anymore.

iam220

Yeah I never got into tf2 either. I keep coming back to it and it is kinda fun for like 20 minutes or so but then I get bored quickly. Maybe because I suck at it. TFC was a fun game though, and I spent a good amount of time playing it back in the day. I was really excited for tf2 when they first announced it and then disappointed with its cancellation and re-branding.

vocab said:
MW1 has a much more delicate balance with way better maps. MW2 is just unbalanced and encourages camping to get kill streak rewards that win the game for you. The gun play is the same, but you die a lot faster in MW2 simply because of all the gimmicky shit.

Thanks, that sounds good. I think I'm going to take the plunge. I imagine there's still an active online community?

vocab

iam220 said:
Thanks, that sounds good. I think I'm going to take the plunge. I imagine there's still an active online community?

For MW1? Probably. It's not that old. Someone around here was getting the game for like $4. For 4 dollars, it's worth it.

Twig said:

It's a completely different style of game though. I love TF2 a lot more than MW2 but they satisfy completely different gaming itches. I had a lot of fun playing MW2 this weekend, I clocked in 8 hours. As I told the guys I was playing with, I hate everything about the game except the game itself. I hate the lag, the community, the price, and the infrastructure, but at it's core it's a really solid and addictive game. Of course I'm not going to pay $50 for it, we're PC gamers and you can get so much bang for your buck for the same amount, but for what it is it's a good game and I can definitely see buying it in 15 years once it's down to $20.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
iam220 said:

The gunplay is exactly the same and if you enjoyed 2, you will certainly enjoy 1. I was recommending picking up MW1 to my friends who enjoyed MW2 a lot this weekend, but didn't feel like dropping 51$.

iam220 said:

There is still a very very active community and tons of full servers.

Toby

vocab said:
Plus random crits in FPS are just flat out dumb.
Gah, I play the game from time to time but that kinda ruins it for me. I had no idea they did that, and for an FPS it seems very stupid.
Maybe I should crawl back to my former lover CS...

MNC

vocab said:
So having a demo man one shotting me with a sword half way across the map like it's fucking Rome Total War is balanced? TFC is way better. TF is probably better than TFC, but it's older and I'm not sure if there's a community there anymore.
I have to disagree there. I'm not one to counterpoint opinions, but it is pretty damn hard to get a OHKO with the sword. You can only bullrush in a straight line, you have to hit a person after a good distance of that straight line bullrushing, and the demoman gives up his sticky bombs for the Chargin' Targe.

MW2 didn't do it for me on the pc, ps3, or 360; and since the pc is my primary gaming platform MW2 just has too much competition from other games and better communities for me anyway. I'm getting more than enough out of Bad Company 2 and as others have stated TF2 is still the creme de la creme.

vocab said:
So having a demo man one shotting me with a sword half way across the map like it's fucking Rome Total War is balanced?

This is the point on an online video game forum where someone says: "Sounds like you suck, bro."

1-D_FTW

I swear I'm gonna start playing TF2 again. If you guys are still playing at the start of next month, I'll probably join back up.

Just playing very limited hours and now that I have the G27, racing games take priority for it.

vocab said:

Move out of the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom