• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any ideas about my "games in fullscreen are spontaneously shifting to windowed" issue? :(

--

Also, I don't see what's so great about that 4k downsampled Dark Souls 2 screen. Maybe I'm just jaded. :p

Took me awhile but I just noticed that I'm no longer a junior and whaddya know..I have some extra steam keys to give away!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Adventures of Shuggy -- MB-0DB1838E2690F0F9 - Taken by InfiniteNine. 1 entrants total.
Dead Space -- MB-8516F654640C890A - Taken by More_Badass. 1 entrants total.
Mirror's Edge -- MB-B536B22E45D03061 - Taken by _hekk05. 1 entrants total.
Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers -- MB-EAEA645967B762DE - Taken by Sammichu. 1 entrants total.
Darksiders -- MB-71340BA87E9CF8CB - Taken by Sub Zero. 2 entrants total.
Deadly Premonition -- MB-39CB932644199865 - Taken by BinaryPork2737. 1 entrants total.
Trine 2: Complete Story -- MB-36FA8E5566704B68 - Taken by crazyrabbits. 3 entrants total.
Hoard Complete Pack -- MB-4904107775D175D6 - Taken by derExperte. 1 entrants total.

t1396984432z1.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't think you'll get that if you have played the game before. At least not in my experienced.

This. If you'd unlocked a particular achievement prior to the commencement of a rewards period then you're out of luck, although in some cases there may be a backdate period (e.g. Escape Goat 2's rewards period was backdated to include the beta).

Lain

Played and completed Type:Rider for the playfire credit and the game is pretty nice in a audio/visual way. The music that plays as you traverse the levels is pretty soothing and the little changes in the tunes in certain spot really add to the experience.
The information part of the game is the best thing about it, though I must say that the Comic Sans part had quite the errors in the text, at least in the Italian version.

Gameplay wise, the game is a simple platformer with some enraging moments. I had to repeat the Comic Sans level a lot for example, because a simple wrong rebound would get me stuck in a place from which I couldn't get out in time to avoid the chasing cat.
Other than that, for the price it's at in the humblebundle, I recommend it.

Grief.exe

I know I shouldn't be looking because I told myself not to but what's up with those rocks/buildings a bit further back on the left hand side. They look like they're in 2d and have no depth to them at all.

Apparently, this area is at the very beginning of the game so you don't have to worry about spoilers.

I'm thinking its a lower resolution DOF like stock DS1, but will have to wait for Durante's take.

I know I shouldn't be looking because I told myself not to but what's up with those rocks/buildings a bit further back on the left hand side. They look like they're in 2d and have no depth to them at all.

Exactly. Add in the hair texture and there's some odd geometry there too.

--

Are there any restrictions on Amazing Spiderman in terms of RU only or whatever?

I guess I'm weird for not hating slowdown on snes generation.

Since when was flawless performance the standard?

I found DS2 on PS3 entirely playable and I get used to bad framerates quickly, but the performance needs to be critizized. It's ridiculously bad at some points in the game. The combination of <30 frames and the game straight up stuttering or playing delayed sound effects because it can't load quickly enough is emberrassing.

I don't know what SNES has to to with this tbh.

derExperte

But then you need to think of a password for Keepass. It's basically the same, only that you'd be giving access to your keys to a third-party program.

No it's not as you now only need to remember one strong password and can use different, long and random ones for every single website (which is absolutely necessary these days). And Keepass is secure, it's been around over 10 years, is open source, employs known encryption methods and many, many people use it. Way more secure than our brains or writing down weak passwords.

zkylon

zkylewd
so watch the dark souls quicklook, shit looking pretty ok

no major improvements unfortunately but you know, competent is already a pretty fucking big step up from dks1

Dr Dogg

Apparently, this area is at the very beginning of the game so you don't have to worry about spoilers.

I'm thinking its a lower resolution DOF like stock DS1, but will have to wait for Durante's take.

I know what you're saying but this looks completely different. It looks like past the first 2 row of stalactites or shards (which are modeled) that the other rocks or what looks like buildings are just a flat texture. Kind of like a cardboard cutout. Decent DOF would blend that in not make it stand out like a sore thumb.

It's not a problem, christ I don't even have any context to the location of that picture and where the natural camera focus would be let alone movement. Plus the first Dark Souls did exactly the same thing. If you have a poke around Anor Londo, past the modeled buildings everything in the far background is just static textures.

I guess you weren't meant to linger too long on that shot.

FloatOn

I found DS2 on PS3 entirely playable and I get used to bad framerates quickly, but the performance needs to be critizized. It's ridiculously bad at some points in the game. The combination of <30 frames and the game straight up stuttering or playing delayed sound effects because it can't load quickly enough is emberrassing.

I don't know what SNES has to to with this tbh.

The sound effect thing and the slow loading thing are slightly bothersome to me but really I guess I'm just tired of all the nitpicky bullshit. The callback to the snes era was basically just a reminder that there was a time when things were considerably worse. I think the underlying gameplay issues that can and should be talked about are getting talked about far less than "zomg the lighting has been removed"

I get the #youlied campaign but to me some of my issues with the gameplay are far more worrisome for the future of the series than fidelity.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Ah sweet. Win-win then.

Hahaha that's sort of my thoughts. I've got around 280+ accounts of some sort or another lingering around out there but only 4 or 5 with my actual credit and debit card details. Providing my work based, LastPass, various gmail, PayPal and Bank accounts are all hunky dorry I'm not that fussed really. If anyone wants to have fun posting stuff on my twitter account knock themselves out. Would make a change from all the Joe Danger spam I personally send out.

I just can't be bothered changing every single account I have. For a start it's a drag and apart from vital bank account details/steam account too much of a hassle :p Thankfully I don't have many/any accounts with cards permanently attached to them.

so watch the dark souls quicklook, shit looking pretty ok

no major improvements unfortunately but you know, competent is already a pretty fucking big step up from dks1

It still makes me laugh when people bitch about the Dark Souls port, assuming that dks1 is your strange acronym for that. :p

The sound effect thing and the slow loading thing are slightly bothersome to me but really I guess I'm just tired of all the nitpicky bullshit. The callback to the snes era was basically just a reminder that there was a time when things were considerably worse. I think the underlying gameplay issues that can and should be talked about are getting talked about far less than "zomg the lighting has been removed"

I get the #youlied campaign but to me some of my issues with the gameplay are far more worrisome for the future of the series than fidelity.

I'm from a PAL territory, the SNES and N64 days were even worse for me. OOT ran at like 18 fps and I enjoyed it because I didn't know better. Now I do and I don't want to put up with that shit anymore if I don't have to.

The discussion of the gameplay will happen in time. I'm interested to hear what people here think about it.

JustinBB7

So with this heartbleed thing, it's not just Steam right? But pretty much the entire internet?

So I have to change all my fucking passwords everywhere AGAIN?

So fed up with everything getting hacked and/or breaking all the time..

Tizoc

Here, I don't need this:
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Bardbarian -- MB-B976D9547029C514 - Taken by KenOD. 27 entrants total.

t1396996807z1.png

So with this heartbleed thing, it's not just Steam right? But pretty much the entire internet?

Only sites that used a certain OpenSSL version and a particular extension for it, which is apparently a lot of sites.

derExperte

Not every site uses OpenSSL but to be 100% sure....

And you need to check everywhere if they fixed the issue before changing the password.

JustinBB7

Meh:

Steam Database &#8207;@SteamDB 11m

Chances are very slim/astronomical any of your sensitive details were actually leaked/discovered.

Steam Database &#8207;@SteamDB 12m

To clarify, our advice to normal Steam users to change their password is not Valve's advice, but ours.

I doubt they got much anyway, and for the real important stuff like Steam/Bank etc there is usually stuff like Steamguard and Phone verification. Not gonna change much else unless I know it's confirmed. Just changed my Steam for the hell of it.

zkylon

zkylewd
It still makes me laugh when people bitch about the Dark Souls port, assuming that dks1 is your strange acronym for that. :p
well that's what happens when you promise something and don't deliver (like they shown a better looking console version and they said pc version was gonna be even better)

to be honest i never thought the lighting looked all that good, and the torch mechanic seemed like it'd be just annoying in a much less memorable way than tomb of giants was. like i loved tomb of giants, so fucking scary! but like a whole game of that sounds like it'd be pretty tedious and limiting unless you want to jack up your brightness or smthing.

it'd be really cool if modders find out the way to do like lighting mods or sound mods for things that people keep saying sound awful like grass

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
They have dedicated support staff? I always figured that Valve's support was the result of bet losses during lulls in HL3 development.

I can confirm - Valve has a dedicated support staff. It's the largest "department" in the company.

ArjanN

Despite the increased budget over the original, Dark Souls isn't really a AAA game. From have been very successful in eking out a profit in a niche market for decades.

Expecting visuals and voice acting on level with something like The Last of Us is a little ridiculous.

It's also like 4 times as long as the Last of Us, which itself is probably already longer than the average AAA game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom