• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go crazy.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Shivah: Kosher Edition -- MB-68AEBD48A1B1EF6A - Taken by Nabs. 9 entrants total.
Savant - Ascent -- MB-8EF1C9DFD0514716 - Taken by tylergregg. 2 entrants total.

t1396988573z1.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
1310497097772.gif

...Of The Wolf got cards

edit: ooh I didnt own any of the added humble games, yay

maneil99

Bump again, where would one sell a game that can't be found on steam anymore, I tried Tf2outpost but I cannot even pick it from the list of games.

This may be a stupid question, but whatever...

What's the situation with retail copies of Dark Souls 2? Do they all register on Steam? I'm kinda assuming they do, due to the multiplayer, but I've seen a few sites mention the game coming to PC and Steam, which is confusing.

Dr Dogg

I think I'm going to crack and get a DS4 before the Steam Controller gets released. Either that or constant moaning gets it bastardised into a twin stick thing and be yet another generic controller.

This may be a stupid question, but whatever...

What's the situation with retail copies of Dark Souls 2? Do they all register on Steam? I'm kinda assuming they do, due to the multiplayer, but I've seen a few sites mention the game coming to PC and Steam, which is confusing.

It's supposed to be Steamworks, so yes.

Amzin

Was going to do one big giveaway of leftover keys at some point, but due to stupidity, doing these ones now. Will probably just giveaway in smaller batches like this anyway during slow work hours each day :p
ModBot said:
Instructions for Amzin:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Saints Row The Third -- MB-A7058EA4A7C9DBFA
Titan Quest probably not gold Edition -- MB-B18C4E1DA0E39CA8
Warhammer 40k Dawn of War -- MB-E473C11E4785CE5D

t1396999463z1.png

Something up with Steam again? My achievements for the Wolf Among Us didn't unlock.

Some guy I don't know also tried adding me as a friend, has only one game and no friends or groups (besides Steam Universe) in common. I think someone wants to ask me for games.

I think I'm going to crack and get a DS4 before the Steam Controller gets released. Either that or constant moaning gets it bastardised into a twin stick thing and be yet another generic controller.

I don't think Valve will bend that much. If people want twin sticks they have other options. And people will have to deal with it.

Probably because the PC port is the definitive version of the game w/ DSFix. Yes, the port was half-assed, but we did get the excellent DLC content to make up for it and Durante fixed the port anyway.

I still don't get why complaining about the (visually) half-assed port is a bad thing.

Yup agree. Some of the lighting and reflections looked reallly good.

why?

Because it's an adequate port. Not a terrible one. :)

And beyond that, people BEGGED for it. -- I signed the petition and I didn't even have a gaming PC at the time. Namco/FROM (where FROM had never done PC development before) took the resources to actually make it happen. And include original/new content which was later sold on consoles for $15. It also solves the performance issues and runs at a solid 30fps.

Just because the game is lacking graphics options (and uses GFWL). Considering how close it was to NEVER happening and how it probably paved the way for the sequel to be on PC from the start (with a slight delay in all it's lie-filled glory).

I still don't get why complaining about the (visually) half-assed port is a bad thing.

It's like asking your dad for a car and when he shows up with a honda that has 80k miles on it, you're pissed because it's not a brand new BMW with all the feature packages.
And now you have people "praising the sun" over the new media released today after the company lied to consumers from the start of development until ... now (or at least the console release). ..

I cannot wait to see the shitstorm if/when Sega ports those games on the petition.

Parsnip

I know what you're saying but this looks completely different. It looks like past the first 2 row of stalactites or shards (which are modeled) that the other rocks or what looks like buildings are just a flat texture. Kind of like a cardboard cutout. Decent DOF would blend that in not make it stand out like a sore thumb.

It's not a problem, christ I don't even have any context to the location of that picture and where the natural camera focus would be let alone movement. Plus the first Dark Souls did exactly the same thing. If you have a poke around Anor Londo, past the modeled buildings everything in the far background is just static textures.

I guess you weren't meant to linger too long on that shot.

I'd guess it's billboarding. Basically a fully modeled mesh that goes into a "billboard" mode when the camera/player is far enough from it. Saying that it looks like a cardboard cutout is pretty much exactly what it would be, if it's indeed billboarding.

A lot of games do this of course, sometimes it's more noticeable. Worst offender in recent memory is Witcher 2, where some of the foliage goes into billboard like 2 meters from the player, which is way way too close and highly distracting.

Now that I think about it, I think it was a gaffer EatChildren who made that infinite foliage mod that fixes it by basically turning billboarding off entirely for those meshes. That is if my memory serves me.

mannerbot

For me, I get a chuckle when I see people recommend against getting the PC version because of the lazy port job. That's just stupid because it was modded day 1 and is by far the best version of the game -- recommending a console version over it is simply inane. As far as complaining about the fact that FROM did a bad job porting it, corrosivefrost covered that and I figured you probably already knew anyway. Yes, the PC port was initially only "console-perfect," but it's been a complete non-issue from day 1. FROM made the DLC content in order to make up for the fact that they weren't able to do a competent port by PC gamer standards and modders picked up the slack anyway. Everybody won. It's too bad about that GFWL though...

mrgone

The Windows Update popup just reminded me today's the first tuesday of April, which means it's the last set of updates Windows XP will ever receive (unless you're an enterprise customer with deep pockets). You might only be 5.63% of the Steam community, old-timer, but you'll always be fondly remembered.

Dr Dogg

I don't think Valve will bend that much. If people want twin sticks they have other options. And people will have to deal with it.

I hope so. I should know from experience that trusting Valvue to have a rigid timescale is probably not going to happen. Patients....

I'd guess it's billboarding. Basically a fully modeled mesh that goes into a "billboard" mode when the camera/player is far enough from it. Saying that it looks like a cardboard cutout is pretty much exactly what it would be, if it's indeed billboarding.

A lot of games do this of course, sometimes it's more noticeable. Worst offender in recent memory is Witcher 2, where some of the foliage goes into billboard like 2 meters from the player, which is way way too close and highly distracting.

Now that I think about it, I think it was a gaffer EatChildren who made that infinite foliage mod that fixes it by basically turning billboarding off entirely for those meshes. That is if my memory serves me.

Hahaha yeah Eats and his magical grass mod.

To be honest Dark Souls II could render in 480p, run at 15fps and have the engine behind Treasure Island Dizzy powering it for all I care just as long as the emergent world and story are still present and the combat mechanics are still intact. Any improvements on that or fancy PC centric graphics is an added bonus for me.

Vlad

Sounds promising. Still have no idea how mew-genics will play but I will be paying close attention.

Hm, that one slipped under my radar, but the fact that it's from Team Meat has me keeping an eye on it now, despite knowing nothing about it.

Levyne

Banned
I haven't had a time to check thread or Giant Bomb look. Any good summary of Dark Souls stuff?

I saw Grief's nice image at least
3AQmK.gif

Grief.exe

I haven't had a time to check thread or Giant Bomb look. Any good summary of Dark Souls stuff?

I saw Grief's nice image at least
3AQmK.gif

Garcia summed up the Dark Souls II Quick Look very nicely, I did post it int his thread, but I have to head out right now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I doubt they got much anyway, and for the real important stuff like Steam/Bank etc there is usually stuff like Steamguard and Phone verification. Not gonna change much else unless I know it's confirmed. Just changed my Steam for the hell of it.

Who is "they"? This wasn't a hacking attack.

Amzin

Reposting for new page.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Amzin:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Saints Row The Third -- MB-A7058EA4A7C9DBFA - Taken by cardinalmind. 11 entrants total.
Titan Quest probably not gold Edition -- MB-B18C4E1DA0E39CA8 - Taken by Sub Zero. 3 entrants total.
Warhammer 40k Dawn of War -- MB-E473C11E4785CE5D - Taken by Scipius. 6 entrants total.

t1396999463z1.png

Tizoc

Was going to do one big giveaway of leftover keys at some point, but due to stupidity, doing these ones now. Will probably just giveaway in smaller batches like this anyway during slow work hours each day :p

Mind making your next giveaway be 24 hours please? I go to bed in 3ish hours =_=

impact

Banned
It's like asking your dad for a car and when he shows up with a honda that has 80k miles on it, you're pissed because it's not a brand new BMW with all the feature packages.
And now you have people "praising the sun" over the new media released today after the company lied to consumers from the start of development until ... now (or at least the console release). ..

I cannot wait to see the shitstorm if/when Sega ports those games on the petition.

I feel like this is partially why some of these Japanese devs don't even bother porting to PC. I'd be more than ecstatic if we got Vanquish and Bayonetta ports with the same type of graphics options Dark Souls 2 has. I don't need extra graphical features, I just want awesome games with awesome gameplay at 1080p/60fps.

I don't remember because I don't give a shit about the game, but did Far Cry 3 see anything like the PC whining outrage that DS2 is getting?

Amzin

Mind making your next giveaway be 24 hours please? I go to bed in 3ish hours =_=

It won't be today. Probably one a day when I get bored. I could do 24 hours but it seems excessive for what games I'm throwing out there, plus reposting it etc. :p Maybe though.

Tizoc

Having trouble setting up my PS4 controller from Broforce's options menu, can I change it from a .ini file or something?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RE: Password security. When you use a password security service (1password, Lastpass, Keepass, they're all fine), you need to remember one strong password of 15-20 characters. I use a pretty strong password, it's nice. Then all of the applications that you protect can have ultra-strong incomprehensible passwords.

I'm going to update my Steam password, just updated it..

Here's what my old Steam password was:
H<}/CH9VgZ6X<xPKW3CJ4jsvD7U(Cdj4]boAM.DMRX*xDRM8]Y

Here's what the one before that was:
$&jH<YviNrGo4wXjP}TB66c6f6eJoKpZ
Pitifully insecure as you can see.

All of my passwords for every site are like this.

Backlogger

Well... crap.
So I guess that "been on steam for a year" groupees hint was a total lie, huh?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too, but that was just something I saw in Groupees chat and not from a Groupees employee, so it wasn't exactly from the horse's mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom