• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Well it's Wednesday over here and it's my birthday.

aVAHktj.jpg

Turning 25 feels old man.

Happy birthday!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Since we're discussing it:

I use LastPass and a YubiKey for two-factor authentication. When I need to log in somewhere (that I've set up in LastPass) I put my cursor in the password field and press the button on the YubiKey and it puts my password in.

The key was about $30 IIRC, and the service is $12 a year.

LastPass is also nice because I can tell it to only allow users from my country to access my key vault, which significantly cuts down the number of people who could potentially compromise my account.

In my opinion, LastPass bundled with some form of two factor authentication on your LastPass account (they offer several, including Google Authenticator) is the way to go.

I actually thought about putting in for that one out of morbid curiosity, after seeing Turfster more or less describe it as the worst thing in existence. Let us know how
bad
it really is, man.

Will do. I get a weird enjoyment out of playing really bad games, so this is right up my alley. I remember playing the demo on 360 a long time ago and getting stuck. I think it was the beginning of the game too.

EdmondD

Glad to see Dark Souls 2 got a decent PC port. Looks pretty good. Too bad about this Heatbleed nonsense. I need to start using a password manager. My brother in law advised me to a long time ago but I never did.

styl3s

Glad to see Dark Souls 2 got a decent PC port. Looks pretty good. Too bad about this Heatbleed nonsense. I need to start using a password manager. My brother in law advised me to a long time ago but I never did.
My buddy has been on my ass to use for for a long time now and to use more secure passwords.

I hate using 3423$#@$>MF][;l type passwords because i will never in my life remember them. Although i did use 1 password for my multiple gmails, 1 password for my residential and business comcast email/account etc. I wasn't about to make 493 different passwords. Wrote them down in my book and put it in my safe so i won't misplace it and now using lastpass so i won't have to get out the book when i format or whatever.

aVAHktj.jpg

Happy birfthday! I turn 30 in june.

The only upside to turning 30 is that i still look like i am 19-20 and i have a full thick head of hair with no grey in sight.

Dr Dogg

Yeah, I'm not too enamoured with what they're showing of the new Wolfenstien. I don't know how excited I'll be at the prospect of a heavily scripted and cinematic, corridor crawler. Apparently they'll be showing off some gameplay for it soon.

Also, all that talk did was make me think about the fact that John Carmack is now an employee of Facebook and won't be doing any more QuakeCon talks.

Well if it's a sole crumb of comfort Wolfenstien (2009) looked awful from the pre release marketing Activision pumped out but I ended up loving it. Surprised the interconnecting hub didn't catch on in fps'. Only other game of note that really hit it off was ODST.

aVAHktj.jpg

Happy bday dude. Damn with all you 20-something whippersnappers I feel like I'm in the vast minority of the demographic of old man SteamGAF.

Tellaerin

Okay, so now I have a problem.

I just changed my Steam password. Apparently the change went through without an issue. I changed the password, exited out of the client, then restarted the client, and seemed to connect without issue. Wasn't prompted to reenter a password or anything.

Tried to redeem the Humble link I just received from toddhunter's giveaway, and the Humble Bundle site tells me my account's no longer linked and to relink to fix it. So I attempt to log in using the new pass I just assigned. (Copypasted again - 32 characters.) Error message. Invalid password. Try the old password. That's invalid. Apparently I can't log in to Steam through the web at all.

Any idea of what's happening here and suggestions as to how I should proceed? This whole thing's really starting to get to me.

aVAHktj.jpg

Happy birthday, man!

donny2112

aVAHktj.jpg

Happy Birthday!

On the subject of 25, I had decided in my early 20s that once you turned 24, you could no longer pass as a youth, were really an adult, and was, thus, old. Therefore, everything from 24 on is "old," so the former "big" milestone ages don't mean so much, since you're already old! :lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
That sounds nice, fun, etc. but what about mobile use or logging in from somewhere else out of town or something?

I travel extensively.

Mobile: 1password
Logging in from somewhere else / logging in on a console or whatever: Mobile 1password or the computing device I have with me.

Okay, so now I have a problem.

I just changed my Steam password. Apparently the change went through without an issue. I changed the password, exited out of the client, then restarted the client, and seemed to connect without issue. Wasn't prompted to reenter a password or anything.

Tried to redeem the Humble link I just received from toddhunter's giveaway, and the Humble Bundle site tells me my account's no longer linked and to relink to fix it. So I attempt to log in using the new pass I just assigned. (Copypasted again - 32 characters.) Error message. Invalid password. Try the old password. That's invalid. Apparently I can't log in to Steam through the web at all.

Any idea of what's happening here and suggestions as to how I should proceed? This whole thing's really starting to get to me.

Steam's password stuff is very weird. I would unlink from humble, change your steam password again, confirm you can login via the client and the web, and if you can, relink to Humble.

I'm impressed. And too lazy to try myself even though I have all those lying around.

When I realized you could play local multi, I figured if I could get the 3 local people there in pieces/stages and clear out the area, it would come down to pressing left on all 3 controllers simultaneously.

I took the pickpocket, the lookout, and the cleaner.
I used the pickpocket to get as much loot as possible from the starting floor and the underground. I then grabbed the AK from the underground (I used the cleaner to help out with this).
I then slowly moved everyone up to the VIP poker game floor... I carefully used the AK to take out guards until people started running for the far guards... at this point, I used the bottleneck in the middle (you can see the mass of dead bodies in the picture) to kill them all as they ran over (guards, but also bystanders if they started CPR).
At this point, with nothing as a threat, I slowly lined up the 3 different controllers so i was sure pressing left would play a different melody... then I pressed and held left on all 3 controllers simultaneously.

60 seconds later... tada!

MRORANGE

Happy birthday!

Happy day of birth man!

My buddy has been on my ass to use for for a long time now and to use more secure passwords.

I hate using 3423$#@$>MF]
Happy birfthday! I turn 30 in june.

The only upside to turning 30 is that i still look like i am 19-20 and i have a full thick head of hair with no grey in sight.

Happy bday dude. Damn with all you 20-something whippersnappers I feel like I'm in the vast minority of the demographic of old man SteamGAF.

Happy birthday!

I hope I don't start feeling old in 3 years.

Oooh, a giveaway. Let's try on this one.

And happy birthday, MRORANGE.

All downhill from there. Dude, you're in your prime. Wait until you hit 40. Then you get even sexier.

happy birthday man

hope you had as good a time as i had

but 25? pffff

way ahead of ya

Happy birthday, man!

Happy birthday man, I'll be joining you in the 25 club next month. Save me a seat.

Take from a 27 year old, it only gets worse.

Happy birthday, MRORANGE.

Happy Birthday!

On the subject of 25, I had decided in my early 20s that once you turned 24, you could no longer pass as a youth, were really an adult, and was, thus, old. Therefore, everything from 24 on is "old," so the former "big" milestone ages don't mean so much, since you're already old! :lol

Happy Bday!

Happy birthday :)

Thanks peeps, I slightly regret post the cat pic now, oh well off to bed, having some gelato for breakfast tomorrow.

Thorgal

When I realized you could play local multi, I figured if I could get the 3 local people there in pieces/stages and clear out the area, it would come down to pressing left on all 3 controllers simultaneously.

I took the pickpocket, the lookout, and the cleaner.
I used the pickpocket to get as much loot as possible from the starting floor and the underground. I then grabbed the AK from the underground (I used the cleaner to help out with this).
I then slowly moved everyone up to the VIP poker game floor... I carefully used the AK to take out guards until people started running for the far guards... at this point, I used the bottleneck in the middle (you can see the mass of dead bodies in the picture) to kill them all as they ran over (guards, but also bystanders if they started CPR).
At this point, with nothing as a threat, I slowly lined up the 3 different controllers so i was sure pressing left would play a different melody... then I pressed and held left on all 3 controllers simultaneously.

60 seconds later... tada!

Huh : i actually had an image in my head of someone playing normally with one controller
while using your feet for the other 2. :p

I finished Arkham City last night. I can't tell if I enjoyed the fighting, traversal and general gameplay mechanics more than Asylum, but the game felt a lot shorter than the first. Time to move onto Origins.

styl3s

Did anyone bite on Amazing Spider-Man? I know ASM2 comes out at the end of the month and it looks interesting but $18 still seems a bit steep. Granted, i haven't played an open world Spider-Man game since Web of Shadows.

Love Spider-Man but some thoughts would be nice.

Huh : i actually had an image in my head of someone playing normally with one controller
while using your feet for the other 2. :p

Hahaha, my feet aren't coordinated enough for that. ;)
it was usually put down controller 1, pick up 2, etc.

At the end, I think my right hand did the 2nd and 3rd dpads (holding left) while my left hand held the 1st.

Did anyone bite on Amazing Spider-Man? I know ASM2 comes out at the end of the month and it looks interesting but $18 still seems a bit steep. Granted, i haven't played an open world Spider-Man game since Web of Shadows.

I got mine for $7.02. Plenty of traders selling them for 3 TF2/DOTA keys. :)

Tellaerin

Steam's password stuff is very weird. I would unlink from humble, change your steam password again, confirm you can login via the client and the web, and if you can, relink to Humble.

Wellllll. This is interesting.

I just went back to change the password again as you suggested. I figured I'd just change the second-to-last character, since it's a random string of characters and I didn't see the need to generate an entirely new one.

Steam tells me: "The current password is the same as the new password you have entered. Please re-enter desired password."

That seems to suggest that Steam's truncating passwords past a certain number of characters, which makes me wonder how many characters are actually being used.

EDIT: Deliberately selected a shorter password and now the web login works, so yeah, I seriously wonder if that wasn't the issue.

styl3s

Hahaha, my feet aren't coordinated enough for that. ;)
it was usually put down controller 1, pick up 2, etc.

At the end, I think my right hand did the 2nd and 3rd dpads (holding left) while my left hand held the 1st.

I got mine for $7.02. Plenty of traders selling them for 3 TF2/DOTA keys. :)
Where might these people reside?

Hinomura

After the Heartbleed security matter, I've changed Steam password, Steam secret question, and unauthorized all the Steam Guarded PCs.

Then I saw Strike Suit Zero: Director's Cut with a whopping 85% discount and I went immediately to buy it along with Nethergate: Resurrection and PA Precipice of Darkness 4.

And here it is the curious matter: Steam asked me for a payment method totally ignoring the previous one. Did the same happened to anyone?

I went on with the new payment method without trobules... I checked the market and Steam didn't limit me there either, letting me to purchase / sell anything, while it usually blocked me for "security checks" when I changed the payment method before...

Is it a normal behaviour? Is it happening because I've resetted pw / etc?

PS: Happy birthday MRORANGE!

-MD-

I finished Arkham City last night. I can't tell if I enjoyed the fighting, traversal and general gameplay mechanics more than Asylum, but the game felt a lot shorter than the first. Time to move onto Origins.

That's interesting, my Asylum playthrough was 11 hours and my City playthrough was 25.

maneil99

It's mediocre at best, then again it's activsion so it won't drop in price, better off waiting for number II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom