• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dTrTz.jpg

old-school GAF shit here!

radMonkey

Hahaha just download a portable version of your favourite browser and paste the links in there. Unless your silly and stick your info in there you'll be fine.

GOG.com and the Steam Store seam fine from what I've looked at but Community is still returning lots. PlayFire.com as well but GreenmanGaming.com comes back fine.

Playfire's fine now. :)

Happy birthday, MRORANGE.

--

One guy, three controllers, and 2-bits of Playfire credit:

Feels good, man.

If anyone would like my method for doing this, let me know and I'll write it up.
You just need a working knowledge of Monaco, 3 controllers, and some patience.

--

Supported a filthy bunch of filthy liars? :p

That's dedication, dude!

I'm heading to bed, but asking anyway and hopefully the wise sages will have an answer when I wake up:

With Playfire rewards, I'm not using the Vulcan client (currently). If I unlock an achievement less than 3 hours from a rewards expiration and they don't register it until after the reward expires, do I get it because I unlocked it earlier anyway, or does it actually have to scan it in before the expiration time hits? I don't want to install the client just because I'm unlocking two achieves at the last minute tomorrow after work :p

On a possibly related note, for some reason today Playfire gave me reward credit for a bunch of Arkham City, TF2, and Sleeping Dog achievements, which I had earned well before I even registered for Playfire. Considering it was like $6 worth and all at once I'm worried it'll look like a SAM-thing? I thought Playfire wouldn't credit you for achievements previously earned? I appreciate the free money but don't want my account flagged cause it bugged out!

Thanks for the wisdom when I awaken!

At the moment the client doesn't track Steam because we rewrote the tracking engine. It might return though and if it does, that would mean you could update your profile faster.

As for unlocking achievements a few hours before the end of a reward, that is a risk and due to the API we can't directly address that issue. Couple of solutions, 1) we track more regularly, which is a tough order right now, or 2) we add a grace period on rewards - this would be feasible. In the meantime contact CS and they'll credit you manually.

As for the rewards you just got for old achievements, I take it you just signed up. That's just a new profile thing, we give you the benefit of the doubt because we don't know when you unlocked them. This is a known issue and we have a switch that decides whether we do that or not. Keep the credit, we won't take it back.

Aerocrane

Thanks for the responses guys, I guess its true that Steam isn't really the most suitable venue for long form text reviews and they would be better posted at a videogame website that allows community reviews like Giant Bomb. The recommended/not recommended option in itself is already restrictive, and I've seen some users actually compile a numerical score to the end of their reviews.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Thanks for the responses guys, I guess its true that Steam isn't really the most suitable venue for long form text reviews and they would be better posted at a videogame website that allows community reviews like Giant Bomb. The recommended/not recommended option in itself is already restrictive, and I've seen some users actually compile a numerical score to the end of their reviews.

I tend to chop bits and pieces out of my larger versions of reviews in order to stick strictly to the information with a tad bit of flair and people seem to like it. Talkin chopping down from 1k words to 300-600~.

I guess it really depends on how in-depth you want to go with your reviews. People appreciate a bit of character in the review, important information and on occasion 3 word meme reviews make it to the store page. Such is life.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

You can post them in this Steam thread if you desire. A lot of members already do when they finish a game and repost them when the game goes on sale and other members have questions about the game.

zkylon

zkylewd

i don't think the system is necessarily bad

like all you care about is if your friends liked the game or not

i get more my "stay away of this game" or "this game is da bomb" shit from this thread and just talking to people

Tizoc

When is Honey Pop releasing? Wanna get that ish day 1, and am on media blackout.
Not a huge fan of the 'pick a waifu' VN genre but I have Katawa Shojo in my backlog and I wanna support this

Milamber

When is Honey Pop releasing? Wanna get that ish day 1, and am on media blackout.
Not a huge fan of the 'pick a waifu' VN genre but I have Katawa Shojo in my backlog and I wanna support this

What are you doing not playing Katawa Shoujo at this moment? That game has more feels than To The Moon and Lost Odyssey combined.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Anyone remember what's the historical lowest price of Van Helsing Complete on Steam? For some reason isthereanydeal/enhanced steam don't show Steam Prices in the chart.

you mean sonotamazing, surely?
perhaps you know, is it region locked?

I don't think it is. I got it from tf2outpost and it activated and ran fine, though the game lagged terribly with awful framedrops. My PC isn't amazing by any means but it should be able to run this...

Aerocrane

I tend to chop bits and pieces out of my larger versions of reviews in order to stick strictly to the information with a tad bit of flair and people seem to like it. Talkin chopping down from 1k words to 300-600~.

I guess it really depends on how in-depth you want to go with your reviews. People appreciate a bit of character in the review, important information and on occasion 3 word meme reviews make it to the store page. Such is life.
i don't think the system is necessarily bad

like all you care about is if your friends liked the game or not

i get more my "stay away of this game" or "this game is da bomb" shit from this thread and just talking to people

I'm not really all that bothered by the joke reviews or just doing short bullet point lists. It's just that sometimes I'd like to read more in-depth reviews from fans of the game, and Steam reviews could be a good place for those. I guess I could just start browsing through OTs for games that I'm interested in for impressions from other NeoGAF users instead. That's a nice review CheesecakeRecipe. I couldn't write anything that fluid and have actual character. English as second language is a valid excuse here, right? :p Also, thanks for reminding me that I still need to get NaissanceE.

Arthea

Anyone remember what's the historical lowest price of Van Helsing Complete on Steam? For some reason isthereanydeal/enhanced steam don't show Steam Prices in the chart.

I can't say I'm 100% sure, but I remember it being -66% on steam or something like that, that's why I bought it on gamersgate. Ups sorry, you mean complete, that probably wasn't on sale yet, at least I can't remember.

I don't think it is. I got it from tf2outpost and it activated and ran fine, though the game lagged terribly with awful framedrops. My PC isn't amazing by any means but it should be able to run this...

Thanks, it makes me want it even less than before if it runs so bad.

Your URL has ?l=polish attached to it, just FYI.

why? you have something against polish?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I'm not really all that bothered by the joke reviews or just doing short bullet point lists. It's just that sometimes I'd like to read more in-depth reviews from fans of the game, and Steam reviews could be a good place for those. I guess I could just start browsing through OTs for games that I'm interested in for impressions from other NeoGAF users instead. That's a nice review CheesecakeRecipe. I couldn't write anything that fluid and have actual character. English as second language is a valid excuse here, right? :p Also, thanks for reminding me that I still need to get NaissanceE.

Aw, thanks! Your English is far better than a lot of people I know whose native language is English.

kulapik

Birthday. 6 days to go. Let's make the giveaways start. As always, don't forget to add https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key= before the code you receive.

ModBot said:
Instructions for kulapik:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Knights of Pen & Paper Plus1 Edition -- MB-8CA44B0DD27F2F94 - Taken by Wok. 2 entrants total.
Syder Arcade -- MB-4E07DF9BBE029BD6 - Taken by Scipius. 1 entrants total.
The Shivah -- MB-92D8DB6D5D9CC724 - Taken by kurahador. 3 entrants total.
Kingdom Rush -- MB-BE75B3DF335D40E6 - Taken by Alduin. 4 entrants total.
Savant -- MB-1BBC9D43ED52F26B - Taken by didamangi. 3 entrants total.
Ravensword: Shadowlands -- MB-00944B5631ABCB1C - Taken by TuckingFypo. 1 entrants total.
Type:Rider -- MB-52555DBFAB89E73D - Taken by The Dear Leader. 2 entrants total.
Bridge Constructor -- MB-307415B4EDB98A47 - Taken by nature boy. 2 entrants total.
Broken Sword 2 -- MB-491B706753384A30 - Taken by Henry Swanson. 2 entrants total.

t1397034564z1.png

aku:jiki

Syder looks like a sweet game, I don't know why I didn't install it last night. The shmup selection on Steam is kind of dire so here's hoping it's actually good and doesn't go in the same pile as Satazius, eXceed and the two worst games I own so far, Razor2 and Heli Heroes.

Puppygames should make a shmup instead of that MMO-whatever thing they're doing.

zkylon

zkylewd
probably should get the legend instead since that game is actually pretty funny, but waifu version of king's bounty is still amazing

it's got turn based combat, pet dragons, bare midriffs, murdering thousands of villagers, a pirate called curvy eyes and you can break some ugly dude's heart

it's awesome

this is my most helpful review apparently (31/34 - 91%), from king's bounty armored princess.

also no one liked my mars war logs review lol

yea it's not the bestest of places to get actual information about games you're interested in

best thing to do is just ask here for opinions

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'll be buying Frozen Endzone's Ultimate Edition later. Does anybody here want dibs on my Basic Edition spare for $12.50?

Edit: Sorted.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
edit:

we need to share account names!

You're on my friends list. ;) Unless you're talking about playing the game together, in which case "outlook not so good" because it's not really something I'm interested in, haha.

Tizoc

What are you doing not playing Katawa Shoujo at this moment? That game has more feels than To The Moon and Lost Odyssey combined.

Other than already going thru mybigass steam backlog, just not in the mood atm.
Right now I wanna finish up Erica Reed and Psychonauts so I can go back to the OTHER games on my Steam backlog that I put on hold =V

Acccent

You're on my friends list. ;) Unless you're talking about playing the game together, in which case "outlook not so good" because it's not really something I'm interested in, haha.

yeah, I meant the in-game friendlist (which is separate from Steam's)... forgot for a minute that you would buy it but not want to play :p

Jawmuncher

I dunno guys, Lost Odyssey is only game aside of Suikoden that gave me feels, you put that plank way too high, just pointing out.

Ive never actually played lost odyssey, watch my dad play for 2 hour one time and fell asleep. Still need to play it.

Spares.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Broken Sword 2 -- MB-A1CDBA0E0FEE9555 - Taken by Alduin
Ravensword: Shadowlands -- MB-42BCAC93319ACD93 - Taken by nature boy

Knurek

Syder looks like a sweet game, I don't know why I didn't install it last night. The shmup selection on Steam is kind of dire so here's hoping it's actually good and doesn't go in the same pile as Satazius, eXceed and the two worst games I own so far, Razor2 and Heli Heroes.

What's wrong with eXceed? Original is wonky, true, but the sequels are all kinds of good.
Also, there's Danmaku Unlimited 2, Ikaruga, Jamestown, Everyday Shooter, RefleX. Not a bad selection of titles...

didamangi

Indiegamestand deal for today is 1849, a city management game that has been greenlit. BTA gets you the Android version so could be a good deal for those seeking a cheap city management game for PC/Android.

Birthday. 6 days to go. Let's make the giveaways start. As always, don't forget to add https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key= before the code you receive.

Thanks kulapik :)

Puppygames should make a shmup instead of that MMO-whatever thing they're doing.

Syder is a defender type shmup, pretty decent and hard. Satazius is quite good IMO as classic 16-bit era sidescrolling shmup go.

DocSeuss

Beat Betrayer.

Woah.

Is it FEAR? Nah. It's actually as distinct a game as the others the team worked on, though. Like how FEAR was nothing like NOLF which was nothing like AvP2 which was nothing like SHOGO...

Betrayer was fun. I liked it. Totally worth the $15 I paid for it in Early Access. Now to explore... in color!

aku:jiki

What's wrong with eXceed? Original is wonky, true, but the sequels are all kinds of good.
Also, there's Danmaku Unlimited 2, Ikaruga, Jamestown, Everyday Shooter. Not a bad selection of titles...
eXceed 2nd is OK, yeah. The color-switching isn't exactly genius and very derivative of Ikaruga, but it plays much better than the awful first game. Everyday is also terrible and not a shmup, so three good ones isn't exactly a wealth of titles to choose from, especially considering how many good ones are already available for PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom