• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not like The Walking Dead game had any real meaningful choices either. Any branching path that you might have taken in the game quickly hit a dead end. The Walking Dead is more about character interactions than the story, and I feel The Wolf Among Us is more about the atmosphere than the plot itself.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's not like The Walking Dead game had any real meaningful choices either. Any branching path that you might have taken in the game quickly hit a dead end. The Walking Dead is more about character interactions than the story, and I feel The Wolf Among Us is more about the atmosphere than the plot itself.

The important thing is not that you have branching paths, the important thing is that you feel like you have branching paths. Walking Dead works not because the options are all that different in the end, but because the first time you play through--like Heavy Rain--it feels like you're in control. It's pretty unfair to judge the game in hindsight by hauling up a flowchart and saying "look, look how all your choices are meaningless!" Embrace the psychological trickery!

hohoXD123

The Wolf Among Us is pretty average so far. Chapter 1 was fine, but I skipped 2 and stopped playing halfway through 3. I just find it boring and I'm a huge Fables fan. I think the Walking Dead had the player make choices about characters living or dying, and when that's gone, there's just not a lot of agency or consequence left. I also feel like Bigby says whatever the scene needs rather than what I choose, very annoying.

You're playing it wrong.

The important thing is not that you have branching paths, the important thing is that you feel like you have branching paths. Walking Dead works not because the options are all that different in the end, but because the first time you play through--like Heavy Rain--it feels like you're in control. It's pretty unfair to judge the game in hindsight by hauling up a flowchart and saying "look, look how all your choices are meaningless!" Embrace the psychological trickery!

I get that they're only going for the illusion of choice. That said, it becomes jarringly obvious without even having to look too deeply into the structure of the game. As an example, in season one of The Walking Dead,
you might feel like you have a choice about what to do with Lily but not even 10 minutes later it becomes absolutely clear that you never did. She leaves the story regardless of whether you told her to go or tried to keep her around.
And Telltale continues along this same path with subsequent games which means you always have it in the back of your mind that nothing you do really matters.

I feel Telltale could handle these situations a little differently without completely blowing their budget by actually writing their stories carefully. They don't have to build 10 different stories just to make the choices matter. Just weave it in to the existing story properly.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
That worked for me until the motivations in the end totally went against all my decisions and it was kinda like lol you guys really wanted us to meet that character I guess.

I played Antichamber for a bit and this were exactly my reaction:

tumblr_lz85klDZ511qktqch.gif

But I can say it's very rewarding when you start to discover the games logic and how to solve some of the puzzles.

Haunted

I played Antichamber for a bit and this were exactly my reaction:

tumblr_lz85klDZ511qktqch.gif

But I can say it's very rewarding when you start to discover the games logic and how to solve some of the puzzles.
Yes!

One of the best puzzle games released last year. Loved it. Very rewarding.

kris.

Banned
soooo i can't connect to steam. haven't been able to for a few hours. anyone else having trouble or did i fudge something up? internet's been fine this whole time

edit: jk, looks like it was a botched update. had to reinstall.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
In GOAT Simulator, trying to do Flappy GOAT with the Queen thing is fun (not)

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Super Killer Hornet: Resurrection -- MB-8CFA851C2F775197 - Taken by BernardoOne. 8 entrants total.

t1397093717z1.png

Jawmuncher

There are only two or three jump scares in the game, and of those the first one is the worst. Partly because you aren't exactly prepared for it, but also because it is just scary as hell.

Isn't year walk an iOS game as well?
Wonder if anyone dropped their iphone over that trickery.

Volcynika

He was making fun of the jump scare, I think.

Yeeeeep. Kinda dampens the effect when people reference surprises directly. Guess I'll wait a bit to purchase the game I s'pose. It's basically like "Guys that thing was cool but watch out for the twist right at the end!" Barf. And saying the amount just adds insult to injury. Spoiler tag that shit, manz.

Yeeeeep. Kinda dampens the effect when people reference surprises directly. Guess I'll wait a bit to purchase the game I s'pose. It's basically like "Guys that thing was cool but watch out for the twist right at the end!" Barf. And saying the amount just adds insult to injury. Spoiler tag that shit, manz.
and how

derExperte

How is the population of this game generally? It doesn't seem to register in the top 100 on Steam right now...

You can check the numbers with Enhanced Steam and they don't look too good (26 playing now 39 today's peak 420 all-time peak). Reading this thread tells me there are other problems as well like a very steep learning curve.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Seriously, the hit box in Flappy GOAT is absolutely ridiculous. I'm never getting the achievement at this rate :(

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I just got 5 different PMs from all 3 modbots for winning a single giveaway. Thanks for making me feel popular/giving me a mini heart attack modbot <3

dreamfall

I had to don on the Ultimate Warrior facepaint, courtesy of the wonderful gabbo.

It makes me yearn badly for a proper wrestling game on Steam.

Just been playing so much HCTP on PCSX2.

Dambrosi

Banned
Thanks to MRORANGE for Type Rider!
Here's another Rider in exchange!

ModBot said:
Instructions for Dambrosi:
tumblr_muccnlDLpR1ql41ypo8_250_zpsd.gif

ORANJII! "Henshin!" LOCK ON! *battlehorns* ORANJII ARRMZU! HANAMICHIII! ORE NO SUTEEEIIIJIII!

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Half-Minute Hero 1 -- MB-3B1BE6A6073FAF72

t1397096782z1.png

why didnt people get avatar face paint for the dead guy from hillsboro?

same amount of homophobia
Because whoever you're talking about didn't wrestle Hulk Hogan on the greatest SUTEIJII! of them all, is why.

nampad

I agree :(
Just finished Device 6 and was about to buy Year Walk because the former is so great.

dreamfall

why didnt people get avatar face paint for the dead guy from hillsboro?

same amount of homophobia

He was definitely an asshole, but his wrestling credentials can't be denied.

It's hard to dissociate these characters from their real life beliefs- I can respect him as a wrestling character, but his political beliefs and homophobia were awful as a person.

You're making me question my decision, gah!

Edit: I'm taking it off. You're right- I revisited some of the rants, and it's hard to stomach. Blegh. The childhood fantasies getting a harsh reminder!

Argh. Can't disagree more. Alice has a beautiful world with really ingenious art design and some of the most mind-bending levels in any game like it.

Skipping it only does yourself a disservice.

I wouldn't call the gameplay average either. It's designed more like a late 90s/early 2000s action game. There are areas that drag a bit, but each level brings something new.

Sometimes I think either I didn't play the same game as other people or they just didn't get past the first couple of levels.

Was my GOTY that year. Dammit.

I love the game :), but I speak for how I think most people will think of it. I have no problem with the gameplay, really.

As I understand it if you're installing vanilla Arkham City, SecuROM isn't removed, nor is GFWL. The GotY edition has SecuROM and GFWL replaced with Steamworks.

Hmmm, it has has Steam achievements now and doesn't prompt for a key at startup -- the DLC still has to come from the Windows GFWL marketplace though.

I did it; I survived ten barriers in flappy goat. I feel empty inside!

Welcome to the flappy club.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
im drunk and watching pbs maybe not the best time to get political in the steam thread
My secret to posting in the Steam thread: I'm always drunk and watching PBS, so the few moments I free myself from the haze of liquor and tote bags are what seem weird.

Alice: Madness Returns is a beautiful game with incredible, varied art direction but it has some major flaws that bring the overall quality of the package down. The first is that it is far, far too long. It took me about 25 hours to finish the game which would be fine if there was some kind of variation or evolution to the level design but there just isn't. I'm not exaggerating when I say you're literally doing the same exact things with a different coat of paint for the entire game. Really a bummer. Still worth playing but try to spread it out a bit.

Alice: Madness Returns is a beautiful game with incredible, varied art direction but it has some major flaws that bring the overall quality of the package down. The first is that it is far, far too long. It took me about 25 hours to finish the game which would be fine if there was some kind of variation or evolution to the level design but there just isn't. I'm not exaggerating when I say you're literally doing the same exact things with a different coat of paint for the entire game. Really a bummer. Still worth playing but try to spread it out a bit.

Just wish that some guy at EA went nut and allowed McGee to remake a next gen version. With improvements on flaws, of course.

Grim Dawn is kind of interesting. Crate ditched the standard high fantasy, swords and sorcery setting in favour of a more modern setting, think a frontier town from the 1800's, with the supernatural bleeding in and it's sort of the apocalypse. Instead of traditional armor you have more conventional looking modern clothing and the weapons, so far, range from flintlock looking pistols, crossbows and melee weapons and shields that look like they've been cobbled together out of driftwood and other assorted junk. Right now my dude looks like he's some sort of hobo knight with a mace made out of scraps and a shield made out of planks of wood.

There really isn't any sort of preamble at the start, you're just dropped in to Grim Dawn's world and kind of go. The game start's off in Devil's Crossing, which is supposedly the last bastion of humanity. Your hero was almost killed because you were possessed by the supernatural that's reanimating the dead but as they were executing you the supernatural force fled your body and you were spared...so you could go kill some zombies.

There's 4 classes to choose from: Soldier, Demolitionist, Occultist and Nightblade. I chose Soldier but it's early enough in the game I might simply make another character and choose a more interesting class. There doesn't seem to be any create-a-character options, you just get a pre-made male or female character. The gameplay is pretty standard fare for an action rpg. If you've played Titan Quest, a Diablo or Torchlight, you know what to expect. Each time you level up you get a skill point to level up what appears to be just 1 of 3 stats and you get 3 class points.

The U.I. doesn't seem to scale with the resolution, so it looks kinda tiny at 1920x1200. I've got to dig around in the options a bit to see if I can make things a little larger.

So far it's looking pretty impressive considering it's only made by 7 people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom