• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I wanna get in on this PlayFire rewards thing. I signed up on their site and linked my Steam account. I already have a GMG account. Do I need to do anything else prior to playing games for rewards? Do I have to actually log into GMG or PlayFire before I play?

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Well this is a relief.

ImNmIKh.png
I can't distinguish the first 2, all the others are distinct.

OK, I wanna get in on this PlayFire rewards thing. I signed up on their site and linked my Steam account. I already have a GMG account. Do I need to do anything else prior to playing games for rewards? Do I have to actually log into GMG or PlayFire before I play?
If you have a GMG account you should use that one instead of creating a Playfire one. If you already created one, the best course of action is to send a ticket so that Steam is unlinked from the Playfire account and then link it to your GMG one IIRC.
The only thing is to set your Steam profile to public otherwise it can't track anything.

Oh look, a 'Steam is terrible' thread just popped up. I wish I could send people back in time to 2007 when almost no one used to make PC games and the ones that did loaded the discs up the wazoo with all kinds of terrible DRM and then ask those people what they think about Steam.

Backlogger

Oh look, a 'Steam is terrible' thread just popped up. I wish I could send people back in time to 2007 when almost no one used to make PC games and the ones that did loaded the discs up the wazoo with all kinds of terrible DRM and then ask those people what they think about Steam.

That thread is bound to have a few casualties before it gets locked

A few other things I forgot to mention about Grim Dawn.

You actually have an inventory to manage. Different equipment take up different amounts of space. The smaller tab on the right is a ruck sack you can acquire fairly early on to expand your carrying capacity. Grim Dawn is like Diablo 3 in that you can use the town portal whenever you want at no cost. You don't have to buy or carry tp scrolls. So selling kruft for iron (the currency in Grim Dawn) is a fairly quick and easy thing to do.

893F300D936925D419D0AFB30B7AB37AF2FAFA01

The items in red are pieces of equipment I can't use. Their use is restricted by how much of a specific stat I have. Every time you level up you get 3 class points and one skill point for your character. When using those class points you choose between leveling up your class, which confers a small amount of all three major stats with each point invested and opens up more abilities for you to skill, or leveling up your available abilities. With the character skill point you get one major boost to one of the three major stats of your choosing.

I've mostly been dumping skill points into Spirit and adding some points into Str/Vit stat when I need a gear boost.

Enemies from different factions attack each other. Early on it was wild animals attacking the Aether animated undead, and I've seen these bloodmages fighting those same undead in another area. So not everything is aggro'ing on to you the moment you step into combat. It's something you can use to your advantage to quickly whittle down the number of enemies.

Turfster

Jesus that thread is even worse than I expected.
"If I'd pirated the game, I'd already be playing." Yeah, because everyone is stopping you from cracking your own game you own on dis... oh, wait.
Also the fact that he seems to think it would magically have no DRM if it didn't have Steam is hilariously naive. DRM used to be much worse, but hey, let's not let that get in the way of your rant...

And this is why I normally never go into other threads.
Must regain my calmness now =p

That thread is bound to have a few casualties before it gets locked

Yeah, it has at least 5 casualties on the first page or something.

I'm having a hard time jumping on the Dark Souls II hype train.

I stopped playing Dark Souls on Steam after having issues with GFWL. I felt hopelessly lost at the beginning of the game, and the fact that it would crash randomly didn't help any.

I would probably play again if Namco ends up patching out GFWL and porting to Steamworks. After that, if I like the game, I'll buy the sequel.

I know most people say you aren't supposed to use a guide to enjoy Dark Souls, but I disagree. I'm with you, I felt pretty lost as well. Used some guides and videos to get my barrings and now I'm hooked.

The difference between dark Souls 2 and Alien CM is that DS2 probably won't play like utter dogshit.

Does this mean that DS2 will have QWOP aliens?? I hope so.

I took me about 9 hours to finally hit my stride in Dark Souls, but once I did, I really started to enjoy it. I think the turning point for me was learning how to parry and how to break block. That's when I felt like I had a chance and started getting hooked on the game.

Yup agree. I think about 9/10 hours is where I put it down for a few months and just finally jumped back. Up to 20 hours now. Such a rewarding and frustrating game at the same time.

derExperte

Eh, even during the supposedly dark times I never had problems finding more games than I had time to play. But threads like that are strange, why don't all these people with Steam issues never, ever post in here and maybe ask for help?

he lost me at 'disc'....

styl3s

Grim Dawn is from some of the ex titan quest guys so that means I'm in automatically. :)
I wasn't going to buy into it until the game was finished but it's like $25 on their site w/ early access key and bit on it because i needed a ARPG fix and i wanted something different from Diablo so i picked it up and it's a whole lot like Titan Quest. Like the first menu/creator and skill/stat system is exactly the same.

I only played a couple of hours and i am trying to not burn myself out on it before it releases. Such a rad fucking game .

EdmondD

Played the Broforce brototype. This game is freaking awesome. This is how you make an action game bros.

One thing sorely missing is a Chow Yun Fat bro. Where is the John Woo love? The Killer is in my opinion the greatest action flick ever made bro.

derExperte

he lost me at 'disc'....

His complaint isn't even the issue, Steam doesn't handle disc installs as smooth as it should, some don't have great internet and in some countries people still go to stores and buy cases with discs in them. But the whole 'Steam fanboys, can't criticize, why don't they like Origin'-shtick....

r3n4ud

I like achievements as much as anyone, but this is really a bit extreme.

5NegeGy.png

I did the math, and it'll take me 813.6 hours to platinum this game if I were so inclined.

uLUIlNZ.gif

I'm having a hard time jumping on the Dark Souls II hype train.

I stopped playing Dark Souls on Steam after having issues with GFWL. I felt hopelessly lost at the beginning of the game, and the fact that it would crash randomly didn't help any.

I would probably play again if Namco ends up patching out GFWL and porting to Steamworks. After that, if I like the game, I'll buy the sequel.

Same here. GFWL is like walking through a shit storm. Wasn't a big fan of the game anyways. Maybe I'll give it another chance if/when Steamworks is there. Won't buy DS II for some time though.

Dr Dogg

I'm really regretting not picking up Grim Dawn when it had a discount now. Even more so that I picked up Reaper of Souls over it :(

His complaint isn't even the issue, Steam doesn't handle disc installs as smooth as it should, some don't have great internet and in some countries people still go to stores and buy cases with discs in them. But the whole 'Steam fanboys, can't criticize, why don't they like Origin'-shtick....

Well I don't know if I would consider myself a Steam "fanboy" but I've got no issues with Origin. Maybe because I've lived through the horrors of EA Link.

Anteater

I've never had to use origin, i always open it to check for deals but there's never any, I registered most of my EA games on there too.

Levyne

Banned
I've not had a problem with Origin either but I barely use it.

The first time I used UPlay I was having issues with the cloud saving.

HoosTrax

A few other things I forgot to mention about Grim Dawn.

You actually have an inventory to manage. Different equipment take up different amounts of space. The smaller tab on the right is a ruck sack you can acquire fairly early on to expand your carrying capacity. Grim Dawn is like Diablo 3 in that you can use the town portal whenever you want at no cost. You don't have to buy or carry tp scrolls. So selling kruft for iron (the currency in Grim Dawn) is a fairly quick and easy thing to do.

893F300D936925D419D0AFB30B7AB37AF2FAFA01

The items in red are pieces of equipment I can't use. Their use is restricted by how much of a specific stat I have. Every time you level up you get 3 class points and one skill point for your character. When using those class points you choose between leveling up your class, which confers a small amount of all three major stats with each point invested and opens up more abilities for you to skill, or leveling up your available abilities. With the character skill point you get one major boost to one of the three major stats of your choosing.

I've mostly been dumping skill points into Spirit and adding some points into Str/Vit stat when I need a gear boost.

Enemies from different factions attack each other. Early on it was wild animals attacking the Aether animated undead, and I've seen these bloodmages fighting those same undead in another area. So not everything is aggro'ing on to you the moment you step into combat. It's something you can use to your advantage to quickly whittle down the number of enemies.
Holy crap it literally looks like a modded Titan Quest (not a bad thing; I just mean the interface looks so familiar).

The problem isn't Steam as a service (as long as you don't expect any or good CS), but Steam as a client. It's a terrible mess and just because other clients might not be as fully featured or worse in some regards, it doesn't mean it's the holy grail of PC gaming. It should be way better, considering the money Valve made thanks to it.

derExperte

The problem isn't Steam as a service (as long as you don't expect any or good CS), but Steam as a client. It's a terrible mess and just because other clients might not be as fully featured or worse in some regards, it doesn't mean it's the holy grail of PC gaming. It should be way better, considering the money Valve made thanks to it.

But it's not like even the hardcore fans disagree. See the love Enhanced Steam gets in here.

Vibranium

Banned

Oh very true, I think most of us in this thread would agree with you. Valve should let some programmers get off their butts and start putting together a new client design. We'll see if that ever happens in Valve Time though.

But it's not like even the hardcore fans disagree. See the love Enhanced Steam gets in here.

Of course, it's evident in the same thread and even in here. But some responses are just as bad as the OP's attitude.

"If you want to play it on disc, why don't go to consoles?

I can't believe there's still people using disc base games with Steam digital option.

PD. I don't care about local installment, I've been PC gamer for about 15 years and it's friggin annoying. So save any comment about this."

Like it's so hard to accept that some people just don't want or can't download a game, which can be well over 10 GB at this point (downloading Max Payne 3 with my 5 mbit connection was fun!). The thing is, the issue the OP mentioned is not new to Steam or Steamworks games and maybe Valve should focus on fixing things like that and improve the user experience (which is oh so important to them). Instead they're playing and toying with many different things at once. It really made me dislike Valve as a developer. They're like an ADD kid that can't focus on finishing one thing it started 5 minutes ago.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
How does purchasing on Amazon work again? Do I need to use the .exe file it downloads or can I just enter the key shown on my games and software library page into steam?

Yeah you just enter the key and register it with Steam :) Did it myself their now with the misprice.

I agree with that. I still wonder why they dont have a QA-Team for some of their Games, especially now with Greenlight they are allowing shitty mobile-Games on their plattform or some games that look like school projects.

And only 2 or 3 people are working for Greenlight, "their" QA alternative...
They can easily employ more and have a far better quality management than they have now.

Gabe said he doesnt want Steam to become another Appstore, but judging by a lot of titles that are released in the last 2-3 months (man, there is even an RPG-Maker Game that used the default tiles...) it seems they are getting to that point sooner or later...

Acccent

Totally agree... I'm not gonna enter that thread because it's a jungle out there but yeah, it's always been my opinion that Steam gets a lot of unwarranted, blind love. It has a lot of good aspects, and overall is obviously an improvement over what we had to deal with 10 years ago, but yeah the software is awful and nowhere near what you'd expect from such a dominating platform, and even the service isn't all rosy either... plus it's almost a monopoly, and such a powerful position is never good, even if Valve has shown time and again that they were relatively decent.

I mean this isn't particularly outrageous to say, and it's a shame that when a poster complains about an issue you get an army of fanboys arguing about it like the guy wants to destroy all of pc gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom