• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I was just kidding, of course they have games worth playing! I just picked up a PS3 for example.
Nice. Now go play Demon's Souls!
And A Crack In Time, the Uncharted games, InFamous 2, Dragon's Dogma, Sly 4, Valkyria Chronicles, 3D Dot Game Heroes...
Dragon's Dogma is almost unplayable, though. How I long for a PC port, and I don't even really like the game.

Grief.exe

Why not buy them and then use a crack? Or do you want to single out Ubisoft? I take it you buy EA(Origin)/Capcom(GfWL ones)/Rockstar/Stardock/Kalypso games?

I've washed my hands of both GFWL and EA products, but truthfully Origin is a much better client than Uplay.

I've spent nearly a 100 hours with Dragon's Dogma so I got used to the IQ/framerate eventually but going back to it the other day after a long break made me think "holy shit" to myself. Not quite N64/PS1 level framerate drops but too close for comfort. Still one of the best games of last gen and I don't understand why Capcom hasn't ported it along with everything else. Fingers crossed I suppose.

Grief.exe

I was being sarcastic because the PC master race stuff is getting kind of old.

I haven't seen too much of the 'PC Master Race' stuff on GAF other than people bringing it up sarcastically.

Most of us in here play on consoles as well, and you will often see us veer off into 3DS discussion.

Nice. Now go play Demon's Souls!
And A Crack In Time, the Uncharted games, InFamous 2, Dragon's Dogma, Sly 4, Valkyria Chronicles, 3D Dot Game Heroes...
Dragon's Dogma is almost unplayable, though. How I long for a PC port, and I don't even really like the game.

There's a parallel universe somewhere that has Red Dead Redemption, Vanquish, and Dragon's Dogma for $5 each on a steam weekend deal and everyone is upset that publishers keep putting these old games on sale.

yuraya

I didn't know To The Moon got trading cards :D Gonna have to get those drops one of these days. I might have to consider crafting a badge because it was an amazing little game.

Dr Dogg

That's not PC Gamer, that's Shalarn/Trial by Games.

Hahaha christ I must be having senior moment today.

Would be nice if they explicitly mention the fact that it's a contributor article (granted they do in the first part). Plus I should have cottoned on after your Steam Universe thread and the fact he's a GAFfer.

More coffee I think...

Grief.exe

There's a parallel universe somewhere that has both Red Dead Redemption, Vanquish, and Dragon's Dogma for $5 each on a steam weekend deal and everyone is upset that publishers keep putting these old games on sale.

I'll never be upset with classic games going on sale. I will just buy more to giveaway on GAF!

To my knowledge, every time System Shock 2 has been on sale I giveaway a copy lol.

I've seen reports that Steam version Watch_DOGE will only use Uplay for activation, not sure how much truth is in that.

Maybe Ubi will be going the EA way sooner than later?

Interesting. I actually ignored the article initially as the URL had /Xbox 360 in it.

I will be keeping my eye on that then.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
There's a parallel universe somewhere that has Red Dead Redemption, Vanquish, and Dragon's Dogma for $5 each on a steam weekend deal and everyone is upset that publishers keep putting these old games on sale.
Almost makes it worth it crossing over and risking the stabillity of both universes foundation, almost.
Throw in Valkyria Chronicles and there's a big chance your neighbours a shapeshifter.

Asskicker

I wonder if we'll get a word from Valve about the heartbleed bug (with names of games changing etc.) and maybe at the same time about the downtimes as of late? Although the downtimes are a lot less for me these days.

HoosTrax

It does look interesting. Unfortunately I gave up on it pretty quickly, because I didn't find it any fun to play (the controls just felt off). Hopefully you can scratch the surface.
I gave Savant a go yesterday. I tried playing it using a 360, but gave up on it pretty quick. One, because it has kind of poor, semi-support for controller; nothing gets on my nerves faster than having to click on dialogs because the game half-assed controller support. And two, because I realized immediately that shooting is the main crux of the gameplay and platforming secondary. So I switched to KBM and that seemed to work just fine.

That said, the game is really small and short (the 40MB download size should have hinted at that). The game starts at the bottom of a tower and ends at the top, with a middle section as well, so three total sections to the game, with an endboss. I'd say roughly speaking, one run through takes about ten minutes. I think there's also some unlockable game modes, like endless. Bottom line is, I think this was intended as a high score challenge type of game.

Other than the half-assed controller support, the game only support three resolutions; 1680x1050 is the highest of the available resolutions. In the Steam forum, the dev justified this by saying that they would have had to redo the art assets to accommodate real resolutions (kind of odd to code a modern, native PC game with 1680x1050 as the maximum resolution in mind imho). His other excuse was that allowing higher resolutions would tank performance (oh heyyyl no -- I'm pretty sure your pixelart game is not to bring a modern system to its knees at 1080p).

The art design is rather good (what there is of it), and the endboss will have a special appeal to Nintendo fans.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've seen reports that Steam version Watch_DOGE will only use Uplay for activation, not sure how much truth is in that.

Maybe Ubi will be going the EA way sooner than later?

My take on the rumour, assuming for the moment that it's true, is that you'll only need to deal with the client when activating the game but it otherwise runs silently, so you'll never have to actually see it despite the game still sporting an Uplay overlay in-game. Akin to Uplay integration on consoles, basically.

If you're waiting try logging back into both Playfire and GMG as this sometimes triggers the credit being applied.

Sadly didn't work for me this time but thanks! If I click show balance (which says 0 pounds) it then shows all the goat achievements but they haven't been applied yet.

Knurek

My take on the rumour, assuming for the moment that it's true, is that you'll only need to deal with the client when activating the game but it otherwise runs silently, so you'll never have to actually see it despite the game still sporting an Uplay overlay in-game. Akin to Uplay integration on consoles, basically.

Dunno, maybe as the article says someone at Ubi looked at sales data/reception for Uplayless games they published (Gunslinger, Stick of Truth).
Yes, I know, too logical for an AAA publisher. Still, would be nice to have only one layer of DRM for their games.

Yaska

I take it one can't use the Steam iOS App in order to redeem codes?
My internet has been acting wierd this past 2 days: Can't access NeoGAF nor Steam but every other website loads up just fine...

Have you tried using a different DNS, f.ex. google DNS? How about tethering from your cellphone to access the internet?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Sadly didn't work for me this time but thanks! If I click show balance (which says 0 pounds) it then shows all the goat achievements but they haven't been applied yet.

That's annoying. I had all the achievements sitting in my playfire account for ages until I went to the greenmangaming site and logged in there, within the next few hours it all went over. If you're worried about not getting it in time then I'd raise a ticket just to be sure.

3DS has an incredible library but I still haven't gotten over the terrible screen and resolution. Love it and my vita to death though, vita in particular due to the PSP support and in my opinion great mix of original titles and great ports. Playing Hotline Miami between classes is great.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone who doesn't have Sword of the Stars: The Pit should probably buy that new Groupees bundle. So good.

Those posts remind me that I picked up Rune Factory IV on release and still haven't played it yet. I really should get around to that one day.

I try to only buy exclusives on consoles because if I know there's a PC version also coming out I have a real hard time pulling the trigger at $60. Just traded in my copy of MGRR that I only paid $10 for just because I know I'll be able to get it for $5 before the end of the year. Wouldn't have ever bought it on the PS3 if I knew there would be a PC version, though.

I had a buy 2 get 1 free coupon that I wanted to get rid of yesterday and I kinda just walked around the gamestop for like 30 minutes, trying to find something that I wouldn't just rather have on PC. Ended up geting Infamous SS, MGS Ground Zeroes, and the Wonderful 101. Now, I just have to hope that there isn't a PC version of GZ coming out soon to make me regret that pickup.

Grief.exe

3DS has an incredible library but I still haven't gotten over the terrible screen and resolution. Love it and my vita to death though, vita in particular due to the PSP support and in my opinion great mix of original titles and great ports. Playing Hotline Miami between classes is great.

Nintendo really should have dropped the 3D requirement. If they were going to target low-end hardware specs the overhead required for the 3D effect is far too expensive.

I know some people do like it, but it hurts the display of the handheld and doesn't reach 100% of their consumer base.

you must've missed the 'info graphic' that was posted the other day. It still trickles through at time...

Keep in mind that was originally posted by Fanto lol

My wife asked if I wanted to take the 25th off work. She has no idea.

I told her she gets me in the morning until about 1, then it's DS2 time. Really hope Nuuvem releases keys early enough to preload.

here. something someone posted from reddit about stuff PCs can do that XBones can't. I can't be bothered to go back and find it though.

Keep in mind that was originally posted by Fanto lol

I know i know, was trying to leave the name out. But still....

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Used coupons and credit to get Lego Hobbit for 8$.

Will play it this week to get like 10$ in credit back from the rewards.

PC gaming hustle at it's finest.

nampad

The weekly Humble sale is pretty week for me. I already own everything from the lowest tier and Garry's Mod doesn't really interest me. Speedrunners looks fun though, any impressions?

State of Decay also interests me but I already got Probably Archery from another bundle so I guess I would be cheaper off waiting for a State of Decay sale.

Not surprising since barely more than half of those who were selected joined the group. :p

Well, it's not like this is that much better :p Or Steam Music. It seems the general interest has faded away, plus lack of/irregular updates. Streaming is more active at least, because Slouken and co are active.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well, it's not like this is that much better :p Or Steam Music. It seems the general interest has faded away, plus lack of/irregular updates. Streaming is more active at least, because Slouken and co are active.

I still believe that Valve should have sent Steam Controllers to 300 international users to apologise for the last-minute announcement that the hardware beta would be US-only. The controller is the primary reason why people were interested in the first place and if nothing else it would have kept discussion alive and given Valve far more data to use for iteration.

Silky

Banned
Quick questions:

Splinter Cell: Conviction is $5 on Amazon as a download. Is that download DRM-free or does it require Uplay??

Speaking of Steam Music, it doesn't support Apple Lossless, kind of lame, because most of my music library is in that format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom