• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Quick questions:

Splinter Cell: Conviction is $5 on Amazon as a download. Is that download DRM-free or does it require Uplay??

Uplay.

There is no mention of the Uplay integration on the page, nor can you add a 'Uplay' tag via the tagging system.

I've contacted Valve about both oversights, haven't heard a reply back.

YAJDOhz.png

Turfster

I still believe that Valve should have sent Steam Controllers to 300 international users to apologise for the last-minute announcement that the hardware beta would be US-only. The controller is the primary reason why people were interested in the first place and if nothing else it would have kept discussion alive and given Valve far more data to use for iteration.

Yep. Hell, most of the people that got selected didn't even seem to play games, or log into Steam more than once every 3 months.
Volvo, pls.

Speaking of Steam Music, it doesn't support Apple Lossless, kind of lame, because most of my music library is in that format.

Weird. Isn't that open source?

Silky

Banned
Uplay.

There is no mention of the Uplay integration on the page, nor can you add a 'Uplay' tag via the tagging system.

I've contacted Valve about both oversights, haven't heard a reply back.

YAJDOhz.png

Welp. Fuck that. Shame, I was looking forward to returning to Conviction

topyy

old one ?
Bundle Bandits: Desura Bundle 1
min $1.50
http://www.bundlebandits.com/bundle?bid=48

Sinister City (Desura,Greenlight)
BulletMAX (Desura)
Plop Fizz Boom! (Desura)
Shady Casket (Desura)
Pilota (Desura)
Dark Adventure (Desura)
Stingray (Desura)
Fatal Theory (Desura,Greenlight)
Galaxy Union (Desura,Greenlight)
Ninja Twins (DRM-free)
The Running Dead (DRM-free)

I still believe that Valve should have sent Steam Controllers to 300 international users to apologise for the last-minute announcement that the hardware beta would be US-only. The controller is the primary reason why people were interested in the first place and if nothing else it would have kept discussion alive and given Valve far more data to use for iteration.

Hopefully they'll make a next testing round with DOG or a newer iteration and send it to not just US people.

Speaking of Steam Music, it doesn't support Apple Lossless, kind of lame, because most of my music library is in that format.

It'll probably support it. The biggest problem with SM is they released it in a very early state. Not even desktop support? Please. And haven't touched it since.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Run, Rush, Haste, Burst
Speed has never been pushed this far.
Jump, Charge, Dodge, Slide
You just slipped and got crushed! You can’t handle T.E.C 3001 yet…
Try again until speed holds no secrets for you.

In T.E.C 3001 (Tesla Energy Collector), you are guiding a cutting-edge technology robot to collect virtual space energy leftovers for humanity.
With great graphics and a unique heart-pumping soundtrack, T.E.C 3001 has what it takes to keep you on the right track.

Winner of the Indie Games Summer Uprising 2011, the game arrives on STEAM.

$3.99.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Is there any way to remove the time limit restriction on the market when you change passwords? Because I don't know if I can live whitout the wall street simulator until Tuesday.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Apple? Open source?

Apple Lossless is open source--both the encoder and the decoder as of three or four years ago--and Apple does a lot of open source stuff. WebKit (which powers Safari and initially powered Chrome) was a large open source project primarily maintained by Apple employees.

It's OK. I have it on XBLIG (where it was less than $3.99). It's a stage-based, very fast, behind-the-shoulder perspective infinite runner. I got maybe an hour or two of enjoyment out of it.

JaseC

Apple Lossless is open source--both the encoder and the decoder as of three or four years ago--and Apple does a lot of open source stuff. WebKit (which powers Safari and initially powered Chrome) was a large open source project primarily maintained by Apple employees.

Steam uses WebKit, too. The switched occurred when the client was ported to OSX in 2010.

It's OK. I have it on XBLIG (where it was less than $3.99). It's a stage-based, very fast, behind-the-shoulder perspective infinite runner. I got maybe an hour or two of enjoyment out of it.

At first I thought it was just more Traim Sim DLC, judging from the name. Then I noticed it was listed as a game, haha.

Yep, I couldn't believe it myself, so I looked it up.

You learn something new everyday huh?

If only Apple would start using ALAC on their store.

JaseC

Is there any way to remove the time limit restriction on the market when you change passwords? Because I don't know if I can live whitout the wall street simulator until Tuesday.

Nope. You're stuck waiting, I'm afraid.

chixdiggit

Has anything ever been reported on how much devs take home from cards/backgrounds/emoticons? I was just curious if it was a big money maker for them or not. I would assume it at least boosts the sale of their game.

JaseC

so, Valve aren't at PAX, right?

Doesn't seem like it. I suppose between Steam Dev Days, GDC, and the next International tournament (which looks to be coinciding with the Summer Sale), there's not much left for Valve to talk about in the interim.

NaM

Nope. You're stuck waiting, I'm afraid.

Sucks, the worst part is that I can't modify nor remove the listings that are already there.
And what is more crazy is that (I use steam in 2 computers) I was allowed to use the market in one of my computers for at least 2 more days after I changed passwords and then I was locked out of it completely on both of them.

Echoplx

That's strange, I changed my password after the heartbleed stuff and I still have access.

Doesn't seem like it. I suppose between Steam Dev Days, GDC, and the next International tournament (which looks to be coinciding with the Summer Sale), there's not much left for Valve to talk about in the interim.

sigh, figured. Waiting for S2 is painful. Maybe at E3, I guess.

DocSeuss

I just got eleven hours of sleep (collapsed in bed yesterday). I don't really feel good, but I feel... stronger than I have in quite some time.

How long does it take Playfire support guys to get back in touch?

woo, avatar has returned to normal

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I see Playfire just got about $10 worth of rewards for Lego The Hobbit. Now it's going to be even harder to resist.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Code:
10:52   Kabouter	Decided to go ahead and change passwords on all important things anyway [re: heartbleed]
10:52	Kabouter	So much work
10:53	Kabouter	Origin wants a max 16 character password, jesus
10:53	stump	origin's is comical
10:53	stump	to change your password you need the answer to your "forgot my password" question
10:53	Kabouter	Yeah, I know
10:53	stump	but if you've forgot your password to login, you DON'T need the answer to reset your password
10:57	Kabouter	Omg Ubi your website is the biggest piece of shit
10:58	stump	yuuuuup
10:58	Kabouter	I can't actually load my account page
10:58	Kabouter	Like wtf is that
10:59	Kabouter	...and it's because it wanted to open a pop-up
10:59	Kabouter	IT'S 2014!
10:59	stump	yuuuup
10:59	Kabouter	WHO DESIGNED THIS PIECE OF SHIT WEBSITE
10:59	stump	probably yves guillemot
11:00	Kabouter	After reading the first three pages of a web design book and getting bored, presumably
11:01	Kabouter	I still haven't actually managed to change my password
11:01	Kabouter	Apparently my 'profile is loading'
11:02	Kabouter	Fuck this shit
11:02	Kabouter	I'm out
11:02	Kabouter	Fuck you Ubisoft
11:02	Kabouter	You suck donkey nuts
11:02	stump	hahah
11:02	stump	uplay more like usuck
11:02	Kabouter	Yes

just another day of trolling

JaseC

Resetting Steam Guard is what restricts the market.

Changing your password is fine but resetting it imposes a five-day market cooldown period. Resetting Steam Guard, on the other hand, imposes a seven-day trading cooldown on any newly-authorised devices.

Backlogger

Spare Desura Key

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

ulgzbKC.png
War of the Human Tanks (Desura) -- MB-88AE5D8FF86D4DA2 - Taken by _hekk05

Echoplx

Code:
10:52   Kabouter	Decided to go ahead and change passwords on all important things anyway [re: heartbleed]
10:53	stump	to change your password you need the answer to your "forgot my password" question
10:53	stump	but if you've forgot your password to login, you DON'T need the answer to reset your password
11:00	Kabouter	After reading the first three pages of a web design book and getting bored, presumably

Paypal is the worst, doesn't let you copy/paste into the password field so you have to manually type the randomly generated password twice ;_;

Dr Dogg

With the timestamps it makes it even more comical. I always thought Kabouter was a patient fellow.

Is it bad of me that I'm not really that fussed about changing 280+ passwords right now? I'll get to it eventually but I've got other priorities and all the critical ones are 2 factored anyway.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Code:

Can I just say that I haven't ruled out you being behind heartbleed as a way of getting people to use a password manager? I've seen you talking them up for years now and finally changed over my accounts just last night .

Paypal is the worst, doesn't let you copy/paste into the password field so you have to manually type the randomly generated password twice ;_;

Oh, I know the feels. What's worse is that my seemingly-more-important websites, like my main banking website and my mortgage lender's site, actually have some of the weakest password requirements around. One of them has to be under 12 characters and not include symbols, for fuck's sake.

These people own my fucking house.

Can I just say that I haven't ruled out you being behind heartbleed as a way of getting people to use a password manager? I've seen you talking them up for years now and finally changed over my accounts just last night .

Oh, I know the feels. What's worse is that my seemingly-more-important websites, like my main banking website and my mortgage lender's site, actually have some of the weakest password requirements around. One of them has to be under 12 characters and not include symbols, for fuck's sake.

These people own my fucking house.

My bank, for the longest time, had am exact 5 character requirement for passwords. I wish I was joking.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is it bad of me that I'm not really that fussed about changing 280+ passwords right now? I'll get to it eventually but I've got other priorities and all the critical ones are 2 factored anyway.

Honestly I think the better use of one's time is not just to change the passwords, but close all the unnecessary accounts. Ain't no one who actually needs 280 accounts. Close that shit down, lower your footprint!

I also did the Gulf of Tonkin

JaseC

Praetorians is set amidst the political machinations of an emerging Roman Empire. You will be transported back to the dusty battlefields of Egypt, the combat theaters of Gaul and finally to the heart of the Empire itself, Italy in the crusade to become Emperor. Your quest will not be easy, as the Empire is heavily defended by thousands of different troop types and war machines, all with special skills and individual strengths. The road to becoming Emperor depends on strategy! You must learn to combine your units and exploit the weakness of the enemy, but as you get closer to the Emperor things become even more difficult as you must face his personal guard, the most powerful and deadly fighting force in the Empire - The Praetorian Guard!

30% off ($3.49) for the next week.

DocSeuss

So... has the Heartbleed thing been fixed already, and it's safe to change them? I'm not quite clear on that. I'm getting a lot of "change your password!" advice, but... if the problem isn't fixed, what's the point?

NaM

Changing your password is fine but resetting it imposes a five-day market cooldown period. Resetting Steam Guard, on the other hand, imposes a seven-day trading cooldown on any newly-authorised devices.

But if you reset steam guard every device is a "new" one. But thanks, now I know it was steam guard and not the actual password change what imposed the restriction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom