• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it comes with a Steam key it will say so somewhere on the product page. FC2 doesn't.

FC3, for example, does
I2CzFCb.png

pam_wink0bsua.gif

Dr Dogg

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, Blood 2 is 60% off on GOG... Anyone can recommend the game?
I remember LithTech games working in 2 fps the last time I've tried (granted, it was back in Celeron 333Mhz days).

Hmm, if you have a dark sense of humor you might find it amusing. And some of the one liners are enjoyable, if cheesy. The overall story is forgettable and game difficulty jumps around, I remember switching off with my friend to get through it. Just remember that the gameplay itself is quite old. Sorry for the brevity, it's been more than a few years since I've really played the game. It's not as good as the original but overall, I remember enjoying the experience; but you might find the original a better purchase.

Doesn't a 360 controller already work out the box on SteamOS? I'm 99.99% certain it does and if so he's missed the point. End of the day options are good and SteamOS will have lots and lots, some people just can't get their head around this.

It does, like any other controller. But the point is average gamers won't bother with an unwieldy controller. I can put up with a steep learning curve, in fact it's pretty appealing to me about this controller, but not sure about the majority of people out there.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Doesn't a 360 controller already work out the box on SteamOS? I'm 99.99% certain it does and if so he's missed the point. End of the day options are good and SteamOS will have lots and lots, some people just can't get their head around this.

No you're missing the point. It has nothing to do with "options" it has everything to do with the elephant in the room: the learning curve.

If Joe Sixpack can't feel compentent like he can with the 360 controller in Portal 2 and has to devote eight-hours/a full-days work to learning the controller like Valve employees apparently had to, when the 360 controller has a less steep learning curve/time-to-compentency it's a "problem."

The options then become:

"Buy a 360 controller and PC/Keyboard, or simply don't use the Steambox because the controller sucks."

ashecitism said:
It does, like any other controller. But the point is average gamers won't bother with an unwieldy controller. I can put up with a steep learning curve, in fact it's pretty appealing to me about this controller, but not sure about the majority of people out there.

Ding-ding.

Valve has to solve this problem if they want people to play Civ or FPS PC-keyboard-enabled titles in the living room. If they don't shorten the learning curve or feeling like I'm failing because of the controller it's going to be a huge issue in adoption.

derExperte

I know how you guys like to get removed games on your account. So I decided to give you all* the chance to get one of those. This is not available anymore on the Steam store, at least until GFWL is removed (if ever). This is a racing game with an explorable overworld. This is incredibly big. This is Fuel.

Thx! And first I was like...

but then I read...

Just realized GamersGate finally got Fuel keys!

and realized I had forgotten something. So what I'm saying is that I'll do a FUEL giveaway myself around the same time as the first one.

Dr Dogg

Yeah I get where you're coming from and looking at the responses from some sections of the tech and gaming press they are a little indifferent to it.

Sure it's still rough around the edges but I do feel some people need to look at the bigger picture. A controller friendly game isn't going to be this magically revelation by using a Steam Controller due to the nature of how the game is designed. If it succeeds in decoupling the mouse based game from the desk then it's already won in my book and through feedback and further iteration hopefully it can be on par with a traditional controller. Though I think the feedback from the trackpads or lack there of in at radio all sense is always going to be a problem some people just won't be able to adjust to.

Tizoc

Correct. Ubi doesn't provide Steam keys by default; other retailers have to push for them, as Amazon does.

I'm still gonna e-mail and ask for a Steam key from Ubi. Child of Light'd be the only UPlay game I'd ever get. I would've gotten the PS3/4 ver. but I game on my Lappy more now and haven't touched or played on my PS3 in over a week!

Yeah I get where you're coming from and looking at the responses from some sections of the tech and gaming press they are a little indifferent to it.

Sure it's still rough around the edges but I do feel some people need to look at the bigger picture. A controller friendly game isn't going to be this magically revelation by using a Steam Controller due to the nature of how the game is designed. If it succeeds in decoupling the mouse based game from the desk then it's already won in my book and through feedback and further iteration hopefully it can be on par with a traditional controller. Though I think the feedback from the trackpads or lack there of in at radio all sense is always going to be a problem some people just won't be able to adjust to.

Well, one thing's for sure. The next time Valve demo it at a public event, they need to pick better games. Not Dirt 3, not Strider, not Portal, not Metro, not Trine, but more mouse-driven games. For how much Civ 5 is being talked about with this initiative, they have yet to demo it. Ask Firaxis to put together a TV-friendly UI, or just demo it at a desk, whatever. Demo it.

I mean people like to say this controller is for mouse-driven or legacy games, but Valve themselves aren't helping to push this narrative. They want this to be looked at as an universal controller and I'm not sure atm that's a good idea.

Dr Dogg

No you're missing the point. It has nothing to do with "options" it has everything to do with the elephant in the room: the learning curve.

If Joe Sixpack can't feel compentent like he can with the 360 controller in Portal 2 and has to devote eight-hours/a full-days work to learning the controller like Valve employees apparently had to, when the 360 controller has a less steep learning curve/time-to-compentency it's a "problem."

The options then become:

"Buy a 360 controller and PC/Keyboard, or simply don't use the Steambox because the controller sucks."

Yeah to a degree I've been a little hastey but truth be told options do exist on SteamOS where as on a traditional console they are severely limited. Some people pick their platform of choice based on the controller because of thier preference or lack of options. Sure if you're not getting on with the Steam Controller in a FPS or fighting game switching to something you're more used to devalues the very purpose of it but it's very unlikely to impossible that would work for a mouse driven game.

Well, one thing's for sure. The next time Valve demo it at a public event, they need to pick better games. Not Dirt 3, not Strider, not Portal, not Metro, not Trine, but more mouse-driven games. For how much Civ 5 is being talked about with this initiative, they have yet to demo it. Ask Firaxis to put together a TV-friendly UI, or just demo it at a desk, whatever. Demo it.

I mean people like to say this controller is for mouse-driven or legacy games, but Valve themselves aren't helping to push this narrative. They want this to be looked at as an universal controller and I'm not sure atm that's a good idea.

One of the points I keep hearing being brought up is the behaviour of the right pad. From most articles it sounds like the input is to drag the camera around with velocity coming from how fast you move your finger across the pad. This behaviour is like how a mouse would act as in taking a set of coordinates and moving from one point to the other at the speed you move and will stop once it is reached. Where as obviously an analog stick is based on the degree the stick is angled in and acceleration is based on the distance from the centre and will keep going until returned to centre.

That I can see is a massive change to get used to after years of analog use.

Edit: I'm pretty sure you've seen this but PC Gamer did get a hands on with Civ V. From the sounds of it the control scheme transfers quite well.

http://www.pcgamer.com/uk/2014/01/0...am-controller-civilization-v-and-starcraft-2/

Why on earth this hasn't been demod much at all is mystery? Though reading the Starcraft II section it doesn't seem to be quite as seamless for something based in real time. Which I can kind of understand, you could quite easily play something like Civ or Papers, Please on the sofa with a mouse and it not be too much of an issue but something requiring a lot more precision and timing like an RTS, control issues would be frustrating.

FloatOn

oh lawd. made some excellent progress in dark souls 2 last night.

I think I have one more area to clear and I'm done. Which should be perfect timing to start the thing over again on pc =)

Argh! My Playfire rewards still haven't been tranfered to my GMG account and that Dark Souls II coupon expires today.
Tense stuff. :(

Same here, besides two achievements rewards I had gained two days ago are not on my profile, so finally I have submitted a ticket on their support website.

And Risen's pretty great. Really rewarding exploration.

Yes, I liked it overall despite many glitches, I felt the game ended too abruptly though.

Tizoc

I take it one can't use the Steam iOS App in order to redeem codes?
My internet has been acting wierd this past 2 days: Can't access NeoGAF nor Steam but every other website loads up just fine...

?

GMG have always tried to get keys for pre-loads whenever possible, they can't force publishers to give them.

I'd be more worried about how scamco will handle things.
GMG is not so good at providing them if the game is very popular.

I mean, do you remember Bioshock Infinite? The site had a melt down, and most of the people got the keys hours after.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Lots of LEGO: Hobbit rewards on Playfire, adds up to about £5.60 worth of credit in total. Not as good as the Goat Simulator rewards, especially as LEGO games are a bit of a collectathon and it'll take a lot longer to get the achievements, but worth it if you were picking it up anyway, I imagine.

kurahador

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Divinity: Dragon Commander -- MB-1362E4A99735B2E1

t1397307883z1.png

Good luck!!

Tizoc

Lots of LEGO: Hobbit rewards on Playfire, adds up to about £5.60 worth of credit in total. Not as good as the Goat Simulator rewards, especially as LEGO games are a bit of a collectathon and it'll take a lot longer to get the achievements, but worth it if you were picking it up anyway, I imagine.

To be fair, Goat Simulator sold for $10, whereas LEGO Hobbit is within the $20-40. Far as Goat goes, you could recoup most of the amount you bought it for, and even cover it if you got it for under $10.

Edit: I'm pretty sure you've seen this but PC Gamer did get a hands on with Civ V. From the sounds of it the control scheme transfers quite well.

http://www.pcgamer.com/uk/2014/01/0...am-controller-civilization-v-and-starcraft-2/

Why on earth this hasn't been demod much at all is mystery? Though reading the Starcraft II section it doesn't seem to be quite as seamless for something based in real time. Which I can kind of understand, you could quite easily play something like Civ or Papers, Please on the sofa with a mouse and it not be too much of an issue but something requiring a lot more precision and timing like an RTS, control issues would be frustrating.

That's not PC Gamer, that's Shalarn/Trial by Games.

Given I have 9 dollars in rewards coming from playfire I will wait until that cashes in before getting Dark Souls II as the 20% coupon will still work then right? Shame the 25% one will expire but it'll take more away using credit anyway.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
To be fair, Goat Simulator sold for $10, whereas LEGO Hobbit is within the $20-40. Far as Goat goes, you could recoup most of the amount you bought it for, and even cover it if you got it for under $10.

Yeah, sorry, this is what I meant. Not as good of a return on your investment as GS, but that's a special case. Managed to get that with their discount and then another 20% off from the april fool's day coupon, so I've more than made my money back on that one. Doubt we'll see anything like that again for low-priced titles. GS had the novelty factor and the achievements were (mostly) easy to get and worth quite a bit.
Given I have 9 dollars in rewards coming from playfire I will wait until that cashes in before getting Dark Souls II as the 20% coupon will still work then right? Shame the 25% one will expire but it'll take more away using credit anyway.

If you're waiting try logging back into both Playfire and GMG as this sometimes triggers the credit being applied.

Grief.exe

I'm still gonna e-mail and ask for a Steam key from Ubi. Child of Light'd be the only UPlay game I'd ever get. I would've gotten the PS3/4 ver. but I game on my Lappy more now and haven't touched or played on my PS3 in over a week!

Once you get sucked into PC gaming, you might as well put your consoles in a box.

I just don't buy Ubisoft games due to Uplay. I am interested in Child of Light though.

Grief.exe

You mean you don't buy games on UPlay, or just Ubisoft games in general?

I don't buy Ubisoft games period, unless they do not have Uplay integration.
I thourghly dislike Assassin's Creed, so that makes them much easier to ignore.

Yeah consoles have absolutely no exclusives worth playing.

I was just kidding, of course they have games worth playing! I just picked up a PS3 for example.

Once you get sucked into PC gaming, you might as well put your consoles in a box.

I just don't buy Ubisoft games due to Uplay. I am interested in Child of Light though.

I have a decent rig(not great by today's standards, but good 2 years ago) and still play my consoles most days. Not like I just play the big pc exclusives either, love my 4X games and the like. Still plenty of great games that will never come to the PC.
which sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom