• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Thanks for the further information. I'd be very interested to know what happens if you do decide to try it. For the record, this is the procedure for the retail Gold edition:

- Install Gold edition (but do NOT run it yet)
- Install patch 3.1.
- Run game: there is now no activation required; nor is the CD needed in the drive.

There is absolutely NO REASON why tages should even be needed at this stage.

Nah that didn't even acknowledge I had it installed hahaha. Going to shoot them an email and see what the score is but I don't have much hope for a reply.

That is remarkably strange.

Well look at it this way. You can add it to your collection now on Steam ;)

Once activated you can uninstall the Tages driver and such from your PC though it still has a folder in Program Data with the activation key from their server and a copy or your serial. Venice uses SolidShield but doesn't have a revoke app like it normally does but is pretty much the same setup. As stated above I'll shoot their support guys an email see if I can get any clarification but doubt a human will ever read it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Now I'm wondering which removed game is the most valuable in trading circles. Anyone care to speculate?

Basically anything that was removed before the gift system got as robust as it is now essentially doesn't exist on the aftermarket, and if it did appear, the price would be astronomical because of the extreme scarcity. The Movies is probably the best example in terms of game quality and early removal putting together. There's a guy who's a big reseller (Sephiroth093) who has spammed the Steam forums of every removed game offering to buy any outstanding copies so he can resell, and he's had no luck with the game. I don't think there are any copies in existence.

Were I a Valve employee, I'd definitely try to generate stats on how many unredeemed after-market copies exist for various removed games.

Evrain

Was wondering about Naruto, is it a pure fighting game or does it include some form of freeform combat à la Dynasty Warriors?

Basically anything that was removed before the gift system got as robust as it is now essentially doesn't exist on the aftermarket, and if it did appear, the price would be astronomical because of the extreme scarcity. The Movies is probably the best example in terms of game quality and early removal putting together. There's a guy who's a big reseller (Sephiroth093) who has spammed the Steam forums of every removed game offering to buy any outstanding copies so he can resell, and he's had no luck with the game. I don't think there are any copies in existence.

Were I a Valve employee, I'd definitely try to generate stats on how many unredeemed after-market copies exist for various removed games.

As you mentioned, redeemable copies of The Movies probably do not exist given how long ago it was delisted and how complicated it would be to have a spare copy lying around. Same goes for Wheelman. I was actually wondering which game has the highest value that is also actually in circulation, rare as it may be.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

That would certainly be interesting information to get your hands on. I'd probably do it when I get a job there, if I weren't busy playing The Movies
and Wheelman... and Top Gun

My wired 360 controller's finally on its last legs, after nearly nine years of service (has it really been that long? goddamn). Got a faulty connection in the cable, and don't have the knowhow to fix it.

I don't want to have to buy another one when support for the Xbone controller might be around the corner. I have a few wireless controllers lying around, maybe I should try and find one of those wireless adapters for PC.

Nzyme32

Ok I don't usually get super excited/invested in prerelease fluff but when I saw 'Fall 2014' I started frantically flicking through my diary to see when the winter equinox is. Soooo some time before 21st December in theory (though I swear the entertainment industry makes up their own definition of fall/autumn).

Definitely a self Christmas Present for me!

Also some trivia, it seems the guy who did the old man narrator voice in Civ 5 is now replaced with the woman in the trailer. The old man was William Morgan Sheppard, and he is everywhere! Just to name a few things he's been in - Star Trek (both TNG and New Film), Dr Who, Mad Men, Dexter, Afro Samurai, Transformers, The Prestige... and the list goes on

10414208_ori.jpg

Jawmuncher

My wired 360 controller's finally on its last legs, after nearly nine years of service (has it really been that long? goddamn). Got a faulty connection in the cable, and don't have the knowhow to fix it.

I don't want to have to buy another one when support for the Xbone controller might be around the corner. I have a few wireless controllers lying around, maybe I should try and find one of those wireless adapters for PC.

They run pretty cheap but they are all Asian reproductions unless you buy second hand from ebay. But even then it's a bit of a pain to find the actual official dongle since MS doesn't sell them by themselves. If you go off the amazon reviews though you'll be fine.

They run pretty cheap but they are all Asian reproductions unless you buy second hand from ebay. But even then it's a bit of a pain to find the actual official dongle since MS doesn't sell them by themselves. If you go off the amazon reviews though you'll be fine.

I found the (apparently) official product on Amazon.co.uk, gonna get me one of those.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
ITT we've waited for a few years for the game to return to steam, so a true steamGAFfer can wait a few weeks/months more for a 75% off sale.

I've bought it as soon as I saw it back on the store

Actually, it was me who convinced Ubi to patch the games. But I don't expect people to remember or care. The updated games showing up on the store again almost three years to the day after being pulled precisely because Ubi couldn't be bothered patching them is no divine coincidence, is my faint point.

Annubis

Anyone else here got addicted to FTL all over again with the new content?
I'm trying to unlock everything, now that it's actually possible to do it.

Dr Dogg

Definitely a self Christmas Present for me!

Also some trivia, it seems the guy who did the old man narrator voice in Civ 5 is now replaced with the woman in the trailer. The old man was William Morgan Sheppard, and he is everywhere! Just to name a few things he's been in - Star Trek (both TNG and New Film), Dr Who, Mad Men, Dexter, Afro Samurai, Transformers, The Prestige... and the list goes on

Chirst I forgot that guy had been in so much. When it was announced that Leonard Nimoy wasn't going to be returning for narration duties in V I was a little bit disappointed but Sheppard does have a air of solemnity about him.

Thanks going to download it now.

np hope it helps

That is the video that got me started with the game. Keep in mind you don't have to watch the entire video, at one point he wraps up his explanation and just finished out the game.

I thought so :). I have it bookmarked after seeing you mention it before. One of these days I will get back to Civ V and make good use of that video but I could really do with a break from being obsessed with a game for awhile after finishing my latest XCOM run :/.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
i0zs3RigNnQgd.PNG

Great game. I expected it to be much harder and even obtuse (reason why I kept postponing my playthrough), but I found The Swapper to be a relaxing experience and fairly easy overall. This is not meant to be a jab at the game or a brag post. On the contrary, all the puzzles were clever, with each try always putting me closer to the solution without making me feel like I was randomly throwing things at the wall to see what sticks. At no point I was truly stumped, which is a good thing because the less games that make me think "this is bullshit, I'll look at a guide" the better.

My only complaint is that it's garbage how after you beat it, "continue" takes you straight to the credits. I mean, what the hell? A few hours of my playtime came from a second run for
the secret log rooms
that could have been completely avoided if not for this dumb design. Baffling oversight in an otherwise well-crafted game, but thankfully it wasn't enough to harm my experience.

Grief.exe

The updated games showing up on the store again almost three years to the day after being pulled precisely because Ubi couldn't be bothered patching them is no divine coincidence, is my faint point.

Leave it to Ubisoft to do such a piss poor job and leave in existing DRM.

ShogunX

Desura key that can be redeemed on steam. Have at it gentlemen!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Oniken -- MB-0BAD4D2E57EB2F88 - Taken by Shalashaska. 19 entrants total.

t1397332321z1.png

didamangi

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Enclave -- MB-9C3BB1A9139C3B16 - Taken by zeroOman
Half Minute Hero -- MB-3233008F2A6A879A - Taken by Exuro
A New Beginning Final Cut -- MB-0653AAA2B705E5E5 - Taken by lucebuce12
Ravensword -- MB-63058E0766378697

Thanks for the game :D Im in love with this artstyle.

Enjoy the game man :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Leave it to Ubisoft to do such a piss poor job and leave in existing DRM.

That's so weird. According to the Anno wikia site the extraneous DRM was patched out with 1.1 but it would seem that Ubi reintroduced the DRM to the Steam versions with the move to 1.3/2.1 (base game/expansion respectively).

Jawmuncher

That is the video that got me started with the game. Keep in mind you don't have to watch the entire video, at one point he wraps up his explanation and just finished out the game.

np hope it helps

I thought so :). I have it bookmarked after seeing you mention it before. One of these days I will get back to Civ V and make good use of that video but I could really do with a break from being obsessed with a game for awhile after finishing my latest XCOM run :/.

Yep hopefully this can get me into CIV easier than the actual tutorial. Which oddly gave me more questions than answers.

Turfster

Daily Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion 75% off, DLC 50% off
Also Stardock Pack 2014 50% off
  • Galactic Civilizations I Ultimate
  • Galactic Civilizations II Ultimate
  • Demigod
  • Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion
  • Political Machine 2012
  • Fallen Enchatress Legendary

maneil99

Daily Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion 75% off, DLC 50% off
Also Stardock Pack 2014 50% off
  • Galactic Civilizations I Ultimate
  • Galactic Civilizations II Ultimate
  • Demigod
  • Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion
  • Political MAchine 2012
  • Fallen Enchatress Legendary

Gotta fill that Civ Space craving

That's so weird. According to the Anno wikia site the extraneous DRM was patched out with 1.1 but it would seem that Ubi reintroduced the DRM to the Steam versions with the move to 1.3/2.1 (base game/expansion respectively).

Did anyone actually install/run it to confirm its actually in?

I think the only way to get a copy of Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery on Steam is through Steam itself.

I'm not going to set this in stone as jshackles is your man but doesn't Enhanced Steam pull price data from istheranydeal? Doesn't that just grab all prices for said game regardless of where it redeems? I think if it's Steam redeemable its mentioned in parentheses after the price. As I said don't quote me on it.

This is probably true -- I was just scanning the amazon page for mention of DRM and it didn't have any whatsoever, so I was trying to figure out if it activated anywhere.

First time so forgive me if I have fucked it up

Was going to do this much later to celebrate employment, end of surgeries, half marathon & tough mudder completion, but those are looking months away. So to celebrate Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth announcement, here are some completely unrelated games

ps - user More_Badass - get in touch, Free copy of Prey is set aside for you since you were the first to answer about wanting a copy

Added you.
Nice giveaway.
Good luck on the accomplishments!

Just woke up and saw that I won kurahador's giveaway for Divinity Dragon Commander! I know what I'm doing with the rest of my weekend. :) (after I get home from working on a Saturday)

Good to see it went to a good home. :)

... and to add insult to injury, in the activation process, steam by default inserts the Venice key, instead the vanila 1404 key, so it won't activate until you notice the mistake and get the right key in the activation box.

Ouch. Glad I only had a passing interest in the game to start with, mostly because of all of JaseC's talk about it in here.

Ruruja

Store down? I fucking hate steam at the moment, never seems to work when I want it to.

Are you from the UK?

I still seem to be getting store/community outages every few hours with that dreaded Error 118, yet no-one here seems to be mentioning it much anymore which leads me to think it's just the UK servers that are still borked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom