• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

The Sega PC port petition just hit 11,000 signatures!

newsteam-assemble-gif.gif

Let's keep the ball rolling on this, outside of a few outlets, we still haven't gotten any mainstream media attention. Up until this point, it has largely been a grassroots movement, but getting the mainstream's attention would go along way.

Signing the petition and Retweeting would help a lot. EDIT: Change asks for an address for some reason, you can essentially make one up or use Google Maps to generate one.

https://twitter.com/Grief_exe/status/451473717160210433

L6PlFKq.jpg

GAF Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=756674
Petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/sega-increase-the-number-of-pc-releases-segapcports

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Blackgate is really growing on me in the late game when you have most of the upgrades. It's pretty neat realizing how differently you could have ordered things. The main series favors combat/stealth rooms much more heavily than this game and I'm glad they chose not to use it much here because it didn't translate down very well.

zkylon

zkylewd

Let's keep the ball rolling on this, outside of a few outlets, we still haven't gotten any mainstream media attention. Up until this point, it has largely been a grassroots movement, but getting the mainstream's attention would go along way.

Signing the petition and Retweeting would help a lot.

L6PlFKq.jpg

Petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/sega-increase-the-number-of-pc-releases-segapcports

platinum owes me a pc bayo after bait and switching me with the awful awful mgs rising

sorry but i hated it :p

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
If y'all people of SteamGaf don't sign the petition I'll cut you. And then eat you.

Sign please

Garcia

Indeed.

Edit:
Dammit, I read that as Half Minute Hero 2 Giveaway...
And I won... so...
Well, thanks to PixJunket for doing the giveaway and COPLonesteban for sponsoring it over in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794738

Hey man! :D Won your raffle. Thanks a lot for the game.

Also, thanks so much to the generous SteamGAFfer who gifted me Sang Froid last night. You know who you are. :)

This place is honestly the best spot in NeoGAF.

But the review is from December. Could very well be fixed and who knows if the Reddit dude tried it himself.

[–]xDoko 1 point 2 minutes ago
I just bought it myself 15 minutes ago, got 4 4-pack keys.

[–]raphael0520 0 points 1 minute ago
I can confirm getting 4 keys each of which redeems as a 4 pack on steam (adds 3 copies in steam inventory to give out)

Two confirmations on reddit.
So if you have 15 friends and want to play Defiance, go ahead!

platinum owes me a pc bayo after bait and switching me with the awful awful mgs rising

sorry but i hated it :p

Bad bad zkylon. MGR:R is, in my opinion, the pinnacle of action games. It throws Bayonetta under the bus. :p
Don't get me wrong, Bayonetta is a solid action game, but as far as I'm concerned (I'm there day one if Sega ever ports it to Steam), MGR:R blows it out of the water.

Hey man! :D Won your raffle. Thanks a lot for the game.

Also, thanks so much to the generous SteamGAFfer who gifted me Sang Froid last night. You know who you are. :)

This place is honestly the best spot in NeoGAF.

Hey, don't thank me -- Thank the two GAFers I mentioned (PixyJunket and COPLonesteban) -- but you're welcome. :)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I liked Defiance :/

granted I only played like 30 hours, which for a MMO is like playing a normal game for 1 hour :p

Nzyme32

Signing the petition and Retweeting would help a lot. EDIT: Change asks for an address for some reason, you can essentially make one up or use Google Maps to generate one.

L6PlFKq.jpg

Glorious work everyone and of course grief.exe. I am certain we have garnered their attention and will likely have more in the near future!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, I think I have a problem with one of the achievements in Goat Simulator, the trophies one. According to the in-game tasks list, I have them all, but the 'cheevo hasn't been unlocked. And when I looked at a guide, it said there's a new goat that unlocks once you collect them all but I don't have it, which probably means I don't have all 30. Is my playthrough bugged or something, if it thinks I do?

zkylon

zkylewd
Bad bad zyklon. MGR:R is, in my opinion, the pinnacle of action games. It throws Bayonetta under the bus. :p
Don't get me wrong, Bayonetta is a solid action game, but as far as I'm concerned, MGR:R blows it out of the water.
i dunno who this zyklon person is but that ain't me

and mgrr aka god of war: ninja edition blew. admittedly it's my fault for playing it on hard difficulty straight away but man i hated so much about it

it's been a long time since i've been so frustrated and annoyed at a game

Grief.exe

and mgrr aka god of war: ninja edition blew. admittedly it's my fault for playing it on hard difficulty straight away but man i hated so much about it

Hard Difficulty is general recommended for new players, and was the mode I beat it on despite being unfamiliar with Character Action Games.

I did beat DMC3/4, but that seems like a long time ago at this point.

Most people who don't like MGR haven't learned to block effectively or haven't picked up the Dodge Skill, 'Defensive Offensive,' from the menus. Why Platinum hid a skill that important in menus is beyond my understanding, but they apparently did it in W101 as well.

Miker

Woo, thanks to Diedac for Antichamber! I actually played it as a UT3 mod, gonna try out the full version later.

derExperte

Hard Difficulty is general recommended for new players, and was the mode I beat it on despite being unfamiliar with Character Action Games.

I took a break after getting severely beaten multiple times by that guy in the desert on normal and one of the bossfights before that was very frustrating as well for me. Haven't tried it again yet.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Bad bad zyklon. MGR:R is, in my opinion, the pinnacle of action games. It throws Bayonetta under the bus. :p
Don't get me wrong, Bayonetta is a solid action game, but as far as I'm concerned (I'm there day one if Sega ever ports it to Steam), MGR:R blows it out of the water.

Bayonetta does way more combat wise than MGR: R but you tried.

So universal windows apps http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=795143 across Microsoft devices (including the xbox one).

For the context of steam, it looks like the feared scenario is beginning to "happen". It will be a while yet before there is any issue, but if this takes off you could really see Microsoft moving to block off any apps outside their store down the track.

Bayonetta does way more combat wise than MGR: R but you tried.

Yeah, but can you beat MGR:R by using the Squarex5 and dodge move only?
Cause I beat Bayonetta on Hard doing just that.

Forgive me for the typo. :p

And MGR:R is nothing like god of war. Bayonetta has more in common with it in that you can spam a single combo and use that alone to get through the game, even on harder difficulties.
Y'know when I learned to finally "dodge offset"? When it was required for one of the extra verses that I had to finish to clean up for the platinum. I'd beaten the game at least 3 times by then with no need to learn the advanced techniques.

zkylon

zkylewd

Most people who don't like MGR haven't learned to block effectively or haven't picked up the Dodge Skill, 'Defensive Offensive,' from the menus. Why Platinum hid a skill that important in menus is beyond my understanding, but they apparently did it in W101 as well.
yea someone from gaf told me about the doge thingie or i would've probably struggled even more

i'm not the best at these games but i've beaten bayo and dmc3 and 4 in higher difficulties and had a great time with them

but mgrr to me played like god of war and i don't like god of war and i didn't like the enemy types or the secondary weapons being super boring or this whole dodging/countering nonsense or the awful level design

after mgrr i went back and played bayonetta after like two years and liked it ten times better

So universal windows apps http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=795143 across Microsoft devices (including the xbox one).

For the context of steam, it looks like the feared scenario is beginning to "happen". It will be a while yet before there is any issue, but if this takes off you could really see Microsoft moving to block off any apps outside their store down the track.
what does this mean? why is this feared?

i know zero about this :I

Any takers?

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gravity Badgers -- MB-1A7795AD915682D9 - Taken by nature boy

Miker

Yeah, but can you beat MGR:R by using the Squarex5 and dodge move only?
Cause I beat Bayonetta on Hard doing just that.

I'm sure that's doable in Revengeance. It's probably also doable in all action games, e.g. you could probably do XYXXY combo and block in Ninja Gaiden Black and you could beat the whole game.

I loved Revengeance as much as the next guy, but it clearly lacks depth next to Bayo.

catabarez

Unfortunately I don't have 15 copies of Defiance in my inventory because one copy needs to be redeemed before the other copies go into the inventory.

what does this mean? why is this feared?

i know zero about this :I

At the moment, you get windows and download steam or other apps, install them and away you go. You also completely ignore the windows store and metro apps because... you don't want to have anything to do with them.

But of course Microsoft want you using their store, because they get money from it (same as apple, same as Valve to a different extent). The fear from companies like Valve is Microsoft will close off Windows to make it like the xbox or the phone where the only way you can put apps on it is to pay them money or at least a cut.

For somebody like Valve this is a bad thing, because they might lose 30% or whatever of their money by being forced through the store. That is a bit of a nightmare scenario, but universal apps is one step closer to realising it.

Valve have been moving towards linux for a reason and this is it.

MGR is more like Ninja Gaiden than anything else really. I actually had more fun with that than my initial run with Bayonetta because of the parry system and the bosses. I didn't like the GOW style bosses in Bayonetta and the QTEs were executed better in MGR than Bayonetta. It's not everyone's cup of tea though.

Evrain

Wait, if that is the trick then each copy of the game would be what, $1?
At that price, I'd bite it, even if just for +1 to the collection

EDIT: catabarez, if you were looking to trade for a copy, I'm in ^_^

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

After they backed down with the start menu I seriously doubt people would accept no external apps.

I'm sure that's doable in Revengeance. It's probably also doable in all action games, e.g. you could probably do XYXXY combo and block in Ninja Gaiden Black and you could beat the whole game.

I loved Revengeance as much as the next guy, but it clearly lacks depth next to Bayo.

I already said there's more variety.
But variety is pointless if you have no reason to use it other than "I feel like doing something different."

MGR:R forces you to learn to parry (something that you needed to equip a special relect to even enable in Bayonetta) as well as has benefits of changing sub-weapons and using different combos (use the polearm when dealing with mobs or you want rapid hits, the sai for disabling mechs and movement, or the pincers for damage).

Bayonetta only forced me to use weapons outside of the katana (shuraba) and rocket launchers (Lt. Col. Kilgore) when I needed to for the Alfheims.

I liked the core of the game, but I still think MGR:R blows it out of the water.

MGR is more like Ninja Gaiden than anything else really. I actually had more fun with that than my initial run with Bayonetta because of the parry system and the bosses. I didn't like the GOW style bosses in Bayonetta and the QTEs were executed better in MGR than Bayonetta. It's not everyone's cup of tea though.

You know what's up. :)

zkylon

zkylewd
At the moment, you get windows and download steam or other apps, install them and away you go. You also completely ignore the windows store and metro apps because... you don't want to have anything to do with them.

But of course Microsoft want you using their store, because they get money from it (same as apple, same as Valve to a different extent). The fear from companies like Valve is Microsoft will close off Windows to make it like the xbox or the phone where the only way you can put apps on it is to pay them money or at least a cut.

For somebody like Valve this is a bad thing, because they might lose 30% or whatever of their money by being forced through the store. That is a bit of a nightmare scenario, but universal apps is one step closer to realising it.

Valve have been moving towards linux for a reason and this is it.
ah well, i didn't move to win 8 cos that metro thing looked annoying but kubuntu is fun :)

yea i agree with most of this and although for me it reminded me a lot about god of war than ninja gaiden

i also hate ninja gaiden btw lol

Grief.exe

I desperately want Ninja Gaiden Black on Steam.

Yeah that's right

I'd be willing to pay you a couple bucks for 2 copies on Paypal. I would even take one of the 4 packs and gift you back 2 copies to help out.

i also hate ninja gaiden btw lol

lol

Right but I would only be able to giveaway the three extra copies I received from redeeming the code.

Just make sure whoever you trade with is trustworthy (like a fellow GAFer, perhaps?) and then they can redeem on of the 4 packs and gift the other 3 back to you.

I did this when I acquired banner saga from a trader -- he charged me the paypal, I paid, he gave me the 4-pack, I redeemed and traded him the 3 copies extra back.
If I hadn't bit on Defiance last night as part of the weekly sale or whatever, I would take one of your hands and do this for you.

I don't think I'll ever understand why people prefer NGB to NGS.
I'd much rather have NGS on Steam -- or include NGB and NGS together in some sort of "definitive" release.

So universal windows apps http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=795143 across Microsoft devices.

I really only use Windows because of gaming and a few software applications I need for work. Although being realistic about my home PC usage, it's primarily for gaming. If Microsoft moves towards a closed platform/walled garden where they curate and gate away software that isn't sold on their store, I'd probably switch over to Linux. If there are enough Linux ports of games I like, I'll have no problem dropping Windows. Right now that kind of really isn't case. More of my games run on Mac than they do Linux.

I still run Windows 7 on this machine and have no intention of upgrading. I've tried out Windows 8, helped my mom set up a laptop she bought and really did not enjoy my limited experience with that OS.

I don't really care for this universal approach Microsoft is taking, arguably it's why Windows 8 is as divisive as it is for consumers. I'd argue that this was similar the approach they took with Games For Windows Live and, partially, that's why it failed. Trying to treat the PC gaming space as if it's the same as the one they've fostered with the XBox, when it isn't.

catabarez

Wait, if that is the trick then each copy of the game would be what, $1?
At that price, I'd bite it, even if just for +1 to the collection

EDIT: catabarez, if you were looking to trade for a copy, I'm in ^_^

I'd be willing to pay you a couple bucks for 2 copies on Paypal. I would even take one of the 4 packs and gift you back 2 copies to help out.

lol

Sure thing I'll PM you guys.

After they backed down with the start menu I seriously doubt people would accept no external apps.

For the next windows, probably right.

But Windows 10 might be in a very different position. By then the xbox one might have 50 million boxes being used and people happily using apps through it and their windows phone. Well ok, not windows phone, but things could be very different and I doubt Microsoft will give up on the vision.

I really only use Windows because of gaming and a few software applications I need for work. Although being realistic about my home PC usage, it's primarily for gaming. If Microsoft moves towards a closed platform/walled garden where they curate and gate away software that isn't sold on their store, I'd probably switch over to Linux. If there are enough Linux ports of games I like, I'll have no problem dropping Windows. Right now that kind of really isn't case. More of my games run on Mac than they do Linux.

This is why I was amazed Microsoft didn't make a backwards compatible xbox one. Great features and everything else aside, I'm sure the main reason people prefer steam is we simply have these huge libraries of games. When the xbox one came out, those libraries people had been building went away and it seems a lot of people switched to something else.

As above, the issue is if people start gaming on xbox and suddenly have a PC library as well through the store. This makes it a lot more attractive to actually use, which makes you want to use it even more and things spiral from there. As you said, it is like GFWL but pushed from the other direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom