• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
My stance at Simulator games is the best ones are either the ones that are very well-made, and do a pretty good job at emulating the appeal or even some more precision-based stuff of what they're trying to simulate, or the ones that go all-out and are buggy messes but in such a way it's enjoyable in a so-bad-its-good way, or just over-the-top.

Milamber

I don't understand the appeal of a simulator for lorries. Now a street sweeper, that's the stuff.

So did I, but because of the added business management sim and RPG-like skill upgrades for you and your employees, the game has suddenly become more appealing. Plus I enjoy having the entire western european roads as my playground.

American Truck Simulator is going to be so dope.

EDIT: If they take the elements of ETS2 into ATS, I'm happy. If they add eating and toilet mechanics with in-depth employee and co-driver management, I'd be over the fucking moon.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Ah, I was not aware they had added management aspects of that. I can easily grasp that considering the many thousands of hours I've put into Football Manager. All the same, I think I'll wait until they make a lorry simulator for a Luna or Mars colony.

Edit: Hmm, actually speaking of simulators. chubigans, I really want you to do a join project with a simulator company. A mobile kitchen simulator using Cook, Serve, Delicious as a base while moving around to proper locations. I would happily buy that.

My stance at Simulator games is the best ones are either the ones that are very well-made, and do a pretty good job at emulating the appeal or even some more precision-based stuff of what they're trying to simulate, or the ones that go all-out and are buggy messes but in such a way it's enjoyable in a so-bad-its-good way, or just over-the-top.

For the later you really should try Demolition Company then. Physics be damned when you are destroying a building.

Milamber

Edit: Hmm, actually speaking of simulators. chubigans, I really want you to do a join project with a simulator company. A mobile kitchen simulator using Cook, Serve, Delicious as a base while moving around to proper locations. I would happily buy that.

Chubigans has to use the same simulator font as the rest of them too.

D54G7bD.jpg

Copons

ETS2 is neither of those.
While it is precise in its simulation (especially in the graphics department: trucks are beautiful and detailed), it lacks a huge, essential feature in the field of vehicle sims: collisions with other vehicles. If you hit another car at 100kmh, nothing happens except your truck "health bar" going down and an automatically paid ticket.

I guess real truck driver will enjoy it because it's a light version of their work (something like us gamers find interesting a cookie clicker game :D ), but the rest of us find it just funny for its chillout-ness, the simple joy of just driving around on a huge beast struggling to climb hills and stuck in the traffic of tiny mountain roads.

Plus I enjoy having the entire western european roads as my playground.

I'm super hyped by ATS more because I'm NOT really enjoying driving EU roads, mostly because I already drove there in real life (mostly France, Germany and Benelux). Of course is not the same, but the variety of our sceneries it's something I'm used to.
As for US roads, I did a two weeks road trip around New England (and I'd totally go back there again, even in a game), but some of those screenshots, with canyons, cliffs and stuff... omg I can't wait!

I quit Beyond Good & Evil when I hit the first real dungeon out of boredom. I wasn't able to get myself to play it. The "charm" didn't work on me at all.

Last year I played it for the first time ever and I absolutely loved it. I played the 360 version and my only qualm is that the controls could be a bit fiddly. Some of the music in that game is wonderful!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Alan Wake it is, maybe Costume Quest later on! Thanks! :)

There is a groupees spotlight for motte island for 1$ minimum.

I saw some interest a page back and dusk golem did a first impressions post, might worth it for that price.

Be warned, that's the game that doesn't even launch on Steam. They released a non functioning game. I suspect it will be fixed quickly though, but yea...

Anyway, some spares

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

EvilQuest -- MB-B2208ADA247FCB70 - Taken by Sarcasm
Jolly Rover -- MB-7EB3571522F2F7BD - Taken by derExperte

Copons

Welcome back man! :D Really like your presence in here. :)

Thanks! :)

Also, I just gave CSD NG+ a try (ffs I have an appointment with a client in half a hour at the other side of the city and I still need to shower as my armpits kinda smell atm, but who cares?) and it's super cool!
I totally love the new sound effect for the rush hours, especially because I thought I was being robbed and I shat my pants.
Also I'm playing in super SUPER hard mode, as the last time I played CSD I didn't have my current PC, so I'm used to the MacBookPro keyboard, and I'm finding it super weird to play with a super noisy normal one, always freaking out because I think I'm gonna hit the wrong number sending an uncooked lobster to my hobos customers. :(

zkylon

zkylewd
so gamemaker subversion support doesn't work if you bought gamemaker on steam

wtf

it almost makes it not worth it for the achievements

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
With the Summer Sale just three months away now I think I'm going to be a little more frugal and avoid items that are discounted by less than 66%, with the exception of those that have a ~$5 base price, software in general, and Early Access titles that are slated to rise in price.

Salsa

I just realized that also means that im probably not getting Watch_Dogs at all considering the GamersGate version (one I could get for cheap) will most likely also just supplay Uplay keys

jesus, its as if I had forgotten Uplay existed beyond just being something that launched on Steam ubisoft games. I was happy

JaseC

May is going to be great. Child of Light should lead me into Wolfenstein (well, it'll probably fall short a bit) which should lead me into Watch Dogs which should last me a while because Uplay will delete my 96-hour save.

Dusk Golem

Be warned, that's the game that doesn't even launch on Steam. They released a non functioning game. I suspect it will be fixed quickly though, but yea...

The game worked fine for me, and to my knowledge they released some patch 2 days ago. (played it yesterday)

It might be worth a dollar, here was some impressions I posted earlier today on Motte Island:

Speaking of games I played last night, I haven't beaten it yet, but played Motte Island for about two and a half hours last night, so some quick impressions.

header_292x136.jpg

Motte Island is a top-down flash Indonesian horror game. It's okay. It doesn't do anything particularly bad. When playing it, I wasn't thinking to myself there was any bad element in the game. But it also doesn't really excel at anything, just a few elements that I felt were good, but big parts feel like they're just not well-executed.

The story is a mess. Like, I haven't played a game with a story this much of a mess in a long time. It's not terrible, but definitely the game's worst point so far. It's just badly executed. The characters have some broken English, the story's pace is going way too fast, and interesting plot elements are undermined by this bad dialog and terrible pacing. And the characters are not interesting. The villain literally comes out and tells his evil plan early into the game, and then says outloud something incredibly stupid that basically amounts to, "I would kill you here, but we haven't killed strangers in a long time, so wait right here while I go fetch everyone so we can all kill you." Like, that's almost exactly what he says. He doesn't even imply it or anything, he just says it. And a lot of dialog in the game is like that, where they just outright say stuff, even if it's incredibly stupid they're doing so. Plot is as subtle as a brick on fire screeching out obscenities.

Which is a shame as the game does actually have a some pretty good music, pretty good drawn art to go with the cutscenes, and the game itself has a pretty good atmosphere with a pretty impressive 2D lighting engine. The in-game art isn't half-bad either, though I end up confusing some of the people you can talk too with objects (top-down angle, this one bald guy I thought was a lantern for example).

Unfortunately as its top-down the game is a bit more action-focused than I would like. And there's a few annoying things, like enemies that sometimes respawn when you leave and re-enter a room. Or weird design decisions, like regenerating health. And coupled with some bad level design.

But there are a few interesting ideas here, like when you die you drop your flashlight and have a limited time to go and try to pick-it up. If you don't pick-it up in time, or get hit again before you do, you get a game-over. Some sections go to a first-person, on-rails type gameplay angle. The enemies have been getting progressively more interesting as the game goes on, and some of the scares have legitimately got me. There's even a completely optional stealth mechanic that is actually fairly-well integrated.

But then it does stupid stuff, like too much back-tracking, or how it's really hard to sometimes tell what is something you can pick up in the environment, making them easy to miss, which is a big problem when hunting for key items which for some reason are much harder to spot than weapons, or how some of the level design feels uninspired...

It's not bad, but I can't say it's good either. It's kind of just okay, which is a shame as there's some things to like here, but it's bogged down by flaws that make the good parts a bit less enjoyable. Not to the point the game gets to the point of being bad, but makes it a hard title to recommend or to fully get into when playing.

Could be worth a shake if you're curious enough or like top-down horror games a lot or something, though.

Milamber

I just realized that also means that im probably not getting Watch_Dogs at all considering the GamersGate version (one I could get for cheap) will most likely also just supplay Uplay keys

jesus, its as if I had forgotten Uplay existed beyond just being something that launched on Steam ubisoft games. I was happy

We may get Amazon to help us in the Steam key situation. Don't quote me on that.

impact

Banned

Pretty much the reason I'm Gameflying Watch Dogs on PS4 when I'd much rather play the PC version.

Steam needs to start matching these GMG 20-25% off coupons :p

JaseC

Saints Row sale incoming, I'd guess:

36111 Saints Row IV - The Rectifier about 5 hours ago
<snip>
12252 Saints Row: The Third - Season Pass DLC Pack about 5 hours ago

SR2 is conspicuously absent. I wonder if Deep Silver is toying with the idea of pulling the game due to the MP's reliance on GameSpy.

Anteater

when's transistor?

i'm kinda hyped for it

i must be the only one in the world that didn't find bastion boring

It was pretty fun, they got the mechanics down well.

Don't know why I stopped playing though, I think I took a break clearing those multiple floors room where you kill a shitload of enemies for like 10 floors, I never liked doing those.

zkylon

zkylewd
May 20th. Same day as Wolfenstein.
ty

wolfenstein looks fun but i can't deal with fpses right now

i mean i loved the titanfall beta and everything but still

yeah it's not like the game was critically acclaimed all over or anything

the fuck you talking about
so was gta 4 dude and that game was boring as fuck :p

i'm not saying people didn't think it was good, i'm saying i've heard people say it was boring A LOT

Nah, man, I loved Bastion. So did a bunch of other people I know. You're definitely not alone on that one.
we should trade friends someday

my friends all hated it lol

Dusk Golem

The more I play these misc old boxed PC games I own, the more I question why developers and publishers just don't bring some of these titles to Steam. I mean, some have fairly competent PC ports that still work, I just find it weird how disinterested they seem in bringing these games to the service.

The old Resident Evil and Dino Crisis games, the Silent Hill games, Billy Hatcher, the Crazy Taxi sequels, Nocturne and the Blair Witch games,..

The list goes on, I mean, all of these games already have PC ports, it shouldn't be that hard or require that much effort to get them on Steam.

Knurek

SR2 is conspicuously absent. I wonder if Deep Silver is toying with the idea of pulling the game due to the MP's reliance on GameSpy.

Maybe they are just tired of people asking why the port is so bad.
And it is a bad port, worst one of any I've had the displeasure of playing.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Hoping for a sale of the complete pack of the SRIV if it ever appear
Same here. I just reinstalled SR3 since I got my new HD and have space for it again. I got the complete pack after beating the base game so I still have all this bonus stuff to do now, so I can wait for SR4 to have a complete pack.

Coldsun

Banned
The more I play these misc old boxed PC games I own, the more I question why developers and publishers just don't bring some of these titles to Steam. I mean, some have fairly competent PC ports that still work, I just find it weird how disinterested they seem in bringing these games to the service.

The old Resident Evil and Dino Crisis games, the Silent Hill games, Billy Hatcher, the Crazy Taxi sequels, Nocturne and the Blair Witch games,..

The list goes on, I mean, all of these games already have PC ports, it shouldn't be that hard or require that much effort to get them on Steam.

Agreed, I would readily rebuy most of these titles (oddly enough, the horror genre titles specifically which I would still enjoy even with their dated graphics).
I guess there is something to say about atmosphere =)

Arthea

I might buy Transistor too, although I haven't finished Bastion yet, inspite of starting it years ago.

Does issue with Tages and Anno 1404 is solved in any way, btw?

Hoping for a sale of the complete pack of the SRIV if it ever appear

Is there even SR4 complete or GOTY or gold or imperial edition? (><)
I want it with dlcs too.

Coldsun

Banned
So I picked up Thief 4 a few weeks ago as a break from CS:GO and I'm finding myself more drawn into CS:GO.

Thief runs great enough, works incredibly well with 5700x1200 resolution, but some of the controls just feel so rigid. Getting off ropes is meh as an example. Someone please tell me I'll be missing out on a great or atleast entertaining game if I don't finish. I really want to like it and play through it. The world and atmosphere is just so great. The controls though, man.

Dusk Golem

Agreed, I would readily rebuy most of these titles (oddly enough, the horror genre titles specifically which I would still enjoy even with their dated graphics).
I guess there is something to say about atmosphere =)

I make it very obvious I have a big thing for horror games, so obviously that sort of thing I'm always interested in. But it's more than just that. I mean, I don't want Steam to become a shovelware service, but these are respectable and good games and many had competent PC ports.

I just find myself time and time again playing some old boxed PC game I have and it still holding up pretty well, then asking myself why the companies just don't bring these games to Steam, it'd probably net them more sales and again wouldn't even really require that much effort, so I guess it's just disinterest from the companies, and I just cannot fathom why, I mean, even if they don't sell stupendously, they're basically almost free money as the ports already exist and all they have to do is put it on the platform and they're certain to sell some copies. I mean, how many people would be interested if something like the old Resident Evil or Silent Hill games popped up on Steam for a reasonable price? They'd definitely get the money for honestly little investment, so it just strikes me as so weird there's so many titles in a status like this.

JaseC

Capcom's stuff and Billy Hatcher would just need some tweaking to ensure modern system compatibility, which is what CDPR provides in exchange for temporary GOG exclusivity, but Crazy Taxi 2 would also require Sega to acquire new song licences, Nocturne was owned by the now-defunct Terminal Reality and the Blair Witch games were licensed affairs. In the latter cases there's a fair bit of mess to sort through and the cost:benefit ratio is one that's hard to ascertain when you're looking at uncertain demand.

Coldsun

Banned
I make it very obvious I have a big thing for horror games, so obviously that sort of thing I'm always interested in. But it's more than just that. I mean, I don't want Steam to become a shovelware service, but these are respectable and good games and many had competent PC ports.

I just find myself time and time again playing some old boxed PC game I have and it still holding up pretty well, then asking myself why the companies just don't bring these games to Steam, it'd probably net them more sales and again wouldn't even really require that much effort, so I guess it's just disinterest from the companies, and I just cannot fathom why, I mean, even if they don't sell stupendously, they're basically almost free money as the ports already exist and all they have to do is put it on the platform and they're certain to sell some copies. I mean, how many people would be interested if something like the old Resident Evil or Silent Hill games popped up on Steam for a reasonable price? They'd definitely get the money for honestly little investment, so it just strikes me as so weird there's so many titles in a status like this.

With Square-Enix selling the old FF7 and FF8 ports and them selling rather well, here's hoping other publishers take notice.

IDK, SR4 was actually fun, more fun than 3 from what I played during free weekend. And some dlc are hilarious, even if cosmetic for the most part.

No doubt SR3 and 4 are fun. But the thing that I love the most about SR2 is the map. It is one of the best open-world maps I've ever played. Period. A lot of varieties: Urban and country sides, mountains, caves that lead to the sea, and a fucking prison on an island, etc. Hell, a lot of places I can go inside, not just outdoor environment. I just love that map. Even GTA V or GTA SA does not have some of the features that SR2 map has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom