• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that MoF is somewhat better than Blackgate, but how can you possibly say that both of them are better than Strider and be dead serious about it? Do you prefer clunky slow gameplay to something that's actually fast and responsive in comparison? Or are you just grumpy because the game didn't turn out the way you imagined a new Strider game would do?

I've detailed my large list of complaints against the dumpster fire that is Strider elsewhere -- I really don't feel like typing them all out again.

The short answer to your question is that fast and responsive doesn't mean jack if it's also monotonous.

I'd say wait for 75% off.

Or more.

I think I like you. :)

EdmondD

Six hours for Betrayer. Not sure about the asking price. I paid $15 for it on Early Access, and I'm pretty happy with that, though I've put more time into games like Blood Dragon (got it free with my GPU, so I beat it on Uplay, not Steam, in case anyone decides to see how much time I spent on it there) and Case Zero. I'll probably jump back into it, but I'm not sure how many more of those super intense fights I'll encounter when I do.

I think all three STALKER games have great horror elements. Call of Pripyat, in a rare instance of not being the only boring game in the series, has one sequence where you walk through... well, something surprising. Then nothing happens. I think Clear Sky and Shadow of Chernobyl are better. Some of Clear Sky's underground stuff is just brilliant.

Contagion was pretty bad based on the first level I played.

Yeah, all of the Stalker games are great. People hate on Clear Sky a lot and it was definitely a step down from SoC but I really enjoyed it. Lots of bugs in Clear Sky when it first released pissed people off. I played using the complete mods which fixed a lot of issues and made graphics better. Clear Sky should definitely not be ignored.

gabbo

Yeah, all of the Stalker games are great. People hate on Clear Sky a lot and it was definitely a step down from SoC but I really enjoyed it. Lots of bugs in Clear Sky when it first released pissed people off. I played using the complete mods which fixed a lot of issues and made graphics better. Clear Sky should definitely not be ignored.

You may have single handedly just convinced me to reinstall the game w/Complete mod

The short answer to your question is that fast and responsive doesn't mean jack if it's also monotonous.
Of course it matters, when you can blame both MoF and Blackgate for being just as monotonous that attempt to seperate them goes out the window.

But fine. I think I have a pretty clear picture of what's going on here anyway, so no need for you to repeat yourself.

Deadbeat

Banned
I think all three STALKER games have great horror elements. Call of Pripyat, in a rare instance of not being the only boring game in the series, has one sequence where you walk through... well, something surprising. Then nothing happens. I think Clear Sky and Shadow of Chernobyl are better. Some of Clear Sky's underground stuff is just brilliant.
What are you talking about? Clear Sky only had one underground level the agroprom one. Call of Pripyat had a few mini underground areas with the super lab dungeon maze (which is the best underground level in any stalker game). Shadow of Chernobyl had 3 undergrounds and then the power plant. Clear Sky was the least amount of horror of all the games.

Enjoy
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

A New Beginning -- MB-BE5945EA3C3244D7 - Taken by deadflower81
Half Minute Hero -- MB-88BCA21FA5419F0F - Taken by Vyse24

Why Steam doesn't update your offline playtime? I just finished Resident Evil Revelations, and I played most of it offline due to unstable connection, and my playtime is 4 hours.

Same thing happened with Arkham City which I played a lot offline too...

Had a bunch of keys from the last couple bundles I bought, as well as some leftovers from my previous giveaway. Enjoy!

ModBot said:
I am giving away 18 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

ulgzbKC.png
Plazma Being (Desura) -- MB-EB770103B84FECA1
ulgzbKC.png
Noir Syndrome (Desura) -- MB-F183084449488BD4
ulgzbKC.png
Astroloco (Desura) -- MB-AEC8F95F18F4AC83
A-Train 8 #2 -- MB-59DAC0511E90718A
A New Beginning Final Cut -- MB-CCB0082E963587A9
ulgzbKC.png
Conniption (Desura) -- MB-C0214994978868C3 - Taken by The_Super_Inframan. 1 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Dreaming Sarah (Desura) -- MB-71F1E9D21E24EE97 - Taken by Dusk Golem. 1 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
The Loot Castle (Desura) -- MB-9755C780376CEE29
ulgzbKC.png
Samphi (Desura) -- MB-A7215262B3691209
ulgzbKC.png
Blasted Fortress (Desura) -- MB-F4FBE7CC6580025C
ulgzbKC.png
Jazz, Trump Castle (Desura) -- MB-5840D6AF03C93A28
The 7th Guest -- MB-D7B89E7E60E9D269 - Taken by Shalashaska. 5 entrants total.
Sang-Froid -- MB-45E1C7E90B7BEBAF
A-Train 8 -- MB-F8F25BFEB61AC7AB - Taken by nightstorm. 4 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
6180 The Moon (Desura) -- MB-D26F0B2F11C0F1EA - Taken by Stumpokapow. 1 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Another Perspective (Desura) -- MB-CF51125215804A55
ulgzbKC.png
Cafe 0 The Drowned Mermaid (Desura) -- MB-8D3FDE2EBE989E1C
ulgzbKC.png
Spectrum (Desura) -- MB-CD7887367B5A14F4

t1397549644z1.png

Grief.exe

What are you talking about? Clear Sky only had one underground level the agroprom one. Call of Pripyat had a few mini underground areas with the super lab dungeon maze (which is the best underground level in any stalker game). Shadow of Chernobyl had 3 undergrounds and then the power plant. Clear Sky was the least amount of horror of all the games.

The underground section of CoP was actually my favorite segment in the game by far.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Why Steam doesn't update your offline playtime? I just finished Resident Evil Revelations, and I played most of it offline due to unstable connection, and my playtime is 4 hours.

It's calculated server-side. It'd be quite easy for Valve to have Steam generate a file that logs play time while in Offline Mode, which is then uploaded once the client is online again, but thus far this hasn't happened.

Nope, it's essentially a hidden way of playing when you don't want your friends to know just how much time you spent on a shitty game ;)

It's calculated server-side. It'd be quite easy for Valve to have Steam generate a file that logs play time while in Offline Mode, which is then uploaded once the client is online again, but thus far this hasn't happened.
Then how do they add the achivements obtanied during offline play?

Nope, it's essentially a hidden way of playing when you don't want your friends to know just how much time you spent on a shitty game ;)

I actually like it quite a bit. Of course, I do have my gripes; like the melee/knife usefulness, the weirdly structured campaign, Rachel being super annoying, incredibly USELESS AS FUCK AI partners.

Levyne

Banned
Okay, the 2nd act was better than the 1st in Mirror of Fate. Better environments, a few puzzles, some of them clever, and at least 1 enemy that's fun to fight.

Edit: Holy moly that's a lot of Bad Rats

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Thank you JesusFish for Borderlands! Apparently I have really good luck in raffles when my intent is to win a game for a friend.

Is there a way to tell with Uplay games? Dementium 2 HD is on sale on Uplay, but I'd prefer to have it on Steam.

For Dementium II HD, if I understand correctly, the Steam version of the game is DRM -free and doesn't use Uplay, so I don't think it would as it is a different version of the game.

JaseC

Is there a way to tell with Uplay games? Dementium 2 HD is on sale on Uplay, but I'd prefer to have it on Steam.

Unless the game is known to be Steamworks in the generally-understood sense that even retail copies require Steam, then it's a gamble.

JaseC

This doesn't work because the app that the GameStop/Impulse keys activate isn't fully configured -- it has none of the "legacy key" flags so... oops. It's possible that the game's own registry keys include the key but I can't confirm this either way since my copy is still downloading.

Update: Nope. If you own app id 10660 it's literally impossible for you to retrieve your GFWL key. Sega sent GameStop the wrong keys.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Family Sharing question; If you both own a game, they can still play it right even if I start playing something. BUT, for Gmod in this case, would they still be able to use Counter-Strike: Source files and the like that are from your account if you start playing something as long as they have it installed (for Gmod, I mean, they own the game but not Counter-Strike Source and using an installed version of mine to make it work).

maneil99

Family Sharing question; If you both own a game, they can still play it right even if I start playing something. BUT, for Gmod in this case, would they still be able to use Counter-Strike: Source files and the like that are from your account if you start playing something as long as they have it installed (for Gmod, I mean, they own the game but not Counter-Strike Source and using an installed version of mine to make it work).
Likely. Gmod is such a special case I doubt they prevent it from using other games installed.

Thanks for Desperado Mulderwastaken. I now have Desperado's Waiting for a Train stuck in my head!

Stuff below!

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Jolly Rover -- MB-422093FC5862C641 - Taken by Sajjaja

Of course it matters, when you can blame both MoF and Blackgate for being just as monotonous that attempt to seperate them goes out the window.

But fine. I think I have a pretty clear picture of what's going on here anyway, so no need for you to repeat yourself.

But that's the thing... they're not as monotonous.
Blackgate gets a slight edge because it's story and cutscenes are leaps and bounds over the trash that came with Strider. The combat is about as bad though but for different reasons.
Mirror of Fate's combat system is the best of the 3 where you're given a variety of moves and reason to vary your combos and attack patterns depending on the enemy you fight.

So think what you want about "what's going on here", but the simple fact is I do not think Strider is a good game. It could be an entirely new IP and I'd still think it was just as bad. And considering how bad I thought the combat for Mirror of Fate HD was when I played the demo on PS3, it was a pleasant surprise when I gave it another shot and thought it was actually well done for trying to translate the LoS combat into 2D. The Batman game does a horrendous job of translating the combat from it's big brother, so the fact that Mirror of Fate's is good is even more surprising.

What if I go to Amazon and buy their digital download and use the key from that to register my broken Steam copy. Would that work?

Is it not playable until you register?

JaseC -- is this something worth emailing Sega about? You seem to have the contacts.

JaseC

What if I go to Amazon and buy their digital download and use the key from that to register my broken Steam copy. Would that work?

Presumably, but I'd try contacting Sega for a replacement key first. You shouldn't have to buy another copy because of Sega's own mistake.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Finally grabbed a cheap copy of Ring Runner. Yep, it's what I HOPED that shitty Star Trek PS2 game would be. Kinda like Asteroids, but with a story, RPG elements, and an insane ship customization system. Really fun, well written story, definitely recommend it. It's on sale for $2.50 right now, too!

Copons

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd... I'm back!

First of all I'd like to say I'm extremely sorry if someone got offended by what I said (no need to investigate further, please, this is not the place), it was an error in good faith, as I believed it was just a slang abbreviation with no derogatory meaning. After I was banned I went to check and I was baffled when I discovered it was a real no-no word in English. So, again: sorry.

Excuses aside, it's frigging hard to follow GAF logged out, and my biggest regret has been not being able to be here when chuby announced the CSD update. I've yet to play it, but reading some comments here it's crazy hard, so I know I'm gonna love it. My girlfriend too, when I read her yesterday Grief's post talking about 200+ customers on crappy-menu days, was hugely excited, so it must be a good thing because I need to get some work done* and I need her busy with something else.

*"work done" = I have to begin Arkham City, after the much appreciated Asylum, I had lying around since the WB Bundle. :D

Also, Fez sucks and American Truck Simulator rocks.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I don't understand the appeal of a simulator for lorries. Now a street sweeper, that's the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom