• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

didamangi

Goddammt. Finished Fez and 95% on the way through I realize the game now supports 1080p. Haven't played it since release day so I just assume it's still only support 720p. Pixel am cry.

Acccent

Actually, so I've been playing AC4 in 1080p
on a PS4
and I'm suspecting that it might have fucked up my eyes, kinda. Does this happen to anyone else? It's like Arthea said, I think the tiny background details are too visible (leaves, etc.) and it's too tiresome. My TV might be a tad too far away from my couch as well.

(Thread worthy?)

zkylon

zkylewd
man asking me to do super meat boy achievements for playfire is torture

i'm so fucking bad at this game it's painful to watch

Do you guys mean you don't mind playing at a lower resolution than 1080p and 30fps? Or the other way around? (don't care about 60fps/higher than 1080p?).

1080p and 30fps is my limit I think, I probably wouldn't want to play at lower resolution like 480p and 20fps anymore, I did that with ffxiv 1.0 a long time ago with my 8 year old imac and it was a terrible experience, although I didn't have the need to drop it to 720p with most of the games I have now.
my priorities are
1) native res - 1920x1200
2) 60 fps
3) prettiness

so i'll sacrifice whatever i have to to get those first two

well yeah. that's the spirit. cant do anything about it anyway

tumblr_mig2syf8bc1riu0vho1_400.gif

pretty much

can't afford a new videocard so why bother thinking about it

i'll just play mainstream games however i can and still fully enjoy indies.

if you know the kind of games i like you'll know it doesn't take gfx to impress me anyways

Echoplx

I'm currently rocking a GTX 770 and if I want to experience a constant 60 fps on currently released games at 1080p, I need to SLI another GTX 770 on that. But doing so requires that I also change my PSU to a minimum 850 Watt (1000 Watt recommended).

You see that? Another 770 to SLI with a brand new 1000W PSU will get me more power than a Titan. The cost will run about the same price as a Titan in my part of the world though.

You ever thought about, you know, not running the games at ultra settings?

Dr Dogg

Doing the finish one and five warp zones achievements aren't massively hard if you do a couple of the character unlock ones as you get infinite lives and their abilities make the stages easier. The 50 bandages one can go jump off a cliff. There's only 101 bandages in the game and they're split between the light and dark worlds. So yeah fuck that noise.

Tizoc

Reposting for my fellow 50 pp
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Motte Island -- MB-AC19D3C829DD51D5

t1397563376z1.png

Anteater

my priorities are
2) 60 fps
3) prettiness

pretty much

can't afford a new videocard so why bother thinking about it

i'll just play mainstream games however i can and still fully enjoy indies.

if you know the kind of games i like you'll know it doesn't take gfx to impress me anyways

I got 28 bandages in SMB so far, I kind of enjoy the game overall but if it gets frustrating later I'll probably stop.

I sacrificed 2 for 1 and 3 in gta4 because I couldn't take how ass ugly it looked at very low, I don't deserve that considering it wasn't that good of a game >.> I'd rather it be pretty

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just don't get Revolution because that shit is hardcoded to 30fps and the ninja rope is FUCKED.

I don't know if the version released on Steam was updated to fix this, but in the original release of Worms 4, at least, the ninja rope is practically unusable because of how the camera perspective changes when it's selected. That the game shipped with such an awful usability oversight is ridiculous.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Which of these Worms games is the best? And do they have local multiplayer with controllers?

I also always had the impression Two Worlds II were an average game? I'm considering buying the Bundle Stars bundle.

Armageddon or Reloaded. Armageddon has the advantage of 6-players, even online. Reloaded only has four, but has the best art for the series and some fun modes and additions, in my opinion. Reloaded is my personal favorite, but some prefer Armageddon for some the things unique to it (like the best Ninja Rope).

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
That GTX 880 thread is depressing if you're a 5XX~6XX series looking to upgrade. While 7XX series users like me breathe a sigh of relief. Looks like I won't have to do much upgrading/whining to play any new games after Watch_Dogs release.
I want to buy a new rig and local prices are making me want to cry. I don't feel like paying $500+ for a graphics card alone :/

Pachimari

imho Worms Armageddon is the best one, but to be honest they are very similar to each other. It seems that controller is not supported? http://steamcommunity.com/app/217200/discussions/0/648813728609385595/

Yeah, the game's 15 years old. There's no native controller support.

Just don't get Revolution because that shit is hardcoded to 30fps and the ninja rope is FUCKED.

Oh, guess I'll skip em, at least this time, as I wanted to play multiplayer locally. :)

Here's to consider Two Worlds II and Red Faction: Guerrilla instead.

Arthea

my priorities are
2) 60 fps
3) prettiness

You totally have your priorities wrong! Mine would be reversed, beauty will save the world, as we all know, and better fps makes games more fun, while res does nothing! Well not entirely, but if we disregard RPG maker games, res isn't a problem.

Echoplx

Yeah, I was just giving an example if I wanted to be at full Ultra. I'm okay with 720p on High.

The visual difference between high and ultra is often not worth the huge performance hit anyway.

I'm playing Bioshock Infinite now and I'm pretty impressed with the performance, my GTX670 can get a fairly consistent 60FPS on ultra @2560x1440. Very High is basically a locked 60.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Do you guys mean you don't mind playing at a lower resolution than 1080p and 30fps? Or the other way around? (don't care about 60fps/higher than 1080p?).

1080p and 30fps is my limit I think, I probably wouldn't want to play at lower resolution like 480p and 20fps anymore, I did that with ffxiv 1.0 a long time ago with my 8 year old imac and it was a terrible experience, although I didn't have the need to drop it to 720p with most of the games I have now.
I always play at 1920x1080 if the game allows it (and it's not stretched like in some old games). If the performance is bad even with everything on min (Far Cry Blood Dragon, Retrovirus) I'll stop and leave it for when I get another PC instead of lowering the resolution. I don't care at all about frame rate unless it becomes virtually unplayable.

zkylon

zkylewd
Doing the finish one and five warp zones achievements aren't massively hard if you do a couple of the character unlock ones as you get infinite lives and their abilities make the stages easier. The 50 bandages one can go jump off a cliff. There's only 101 bandages in the game and they're split between the light and dark worlds. So yeah fuck that noise.
yea i'm doing the warp zones one and having a lot of trouble with the fifth one

i hate how this jill dude controls

i kinda hate everything about this game

not really saying it's a bad game or anything, but i hate it

I got 28 bandages in SMB so far, I kind of enjoy the game overall but if it gets frustrating later I'll probably stop.

I sacrificed 2 for 1 and 3 in gta4 because I couldn't take how ass ugly it looked at very low, I don't deserve that considering it wasn't that good of a game >.> I'd rather it be pretty
yea it's fine for a game like gta 4 since it's not like you can get 60 fps anyways :p

You totally have your priorities wrong! Mine would be reversed, beauty will save the world, as we all know, and better fps makes games more fun, while res does nothing! Well not entirely, but if we disregard RPG maker games, res isn't a problem.
well i dunno, bad res annoys the fuck out of me

blurry fonts drive me insane

The priority really depends on the game / genre, I think. For example, in most TBS (e.g. Civilization) having the smoothest framerate is less important due to the limited animations. I play these at 1080p on high settings, but generally lock them to 30fps, even if I can easily play them at 60fps. In fact, I even used to lock the framerate of Crusader Kings II to 20fps on my old PC because there was simply no need to waste that power (though admittedly, I started doing this because one of the early patches for the game introduced a bug that put excessive load on the GPU).

A city-management game might require a more careful balance, depending on how closely you wish to observe the minutae of your virtual citizens' lives. Likewise, with an open-world game you'd probably want to enjoy the environment around you in all its detail, while keeping things fluid as you travel around it.

At the other end of the scale, FPS stands for more than just "first-person shooter". I'd definitely want it to be as smooth as possible, no matter how low the settings need to be in order to make this possible.

I must admit I never played the game with a mouse and keyboard, and PC gaming is all about freedom of choice and everybody should play games like they want but i must say i don't get whats the point of playing games like JC2 without a controller?
Third person shooting is a large component of the game, and the actual character mobility is generally better than using vehicles as well. If anything, it's a game that should be more suited towards KB+M.

Knurek

Meh, all of you and your high-end talk.

Still rocking Pentium G2020+6770+768p native res
Still getting at least 30 fps in most of the games (AssCreed 4 I had to take down to low to reach that, still was defo playable).

wetflame

Pizza Dog
So I have just under the amount of GMG credit to get Batman: Arkham Origins for free, and just under the amount of Steam Credit to get it via key trading.

I think this is someone's way of telling me to wait for a better sale.

Milamber

So I have just under the amount of GMG credit to get Batman: Arkham Origins for free, and just under the amount of Steam Credit to get it via key trading.

I think this is someone's way of telling me to wait for a better sale.

Well, if you're not gonna play it right away (what am I saying), then it's better to get it during a sale.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Well, if you're not gonna play it right away (what am I saying), then it's better to get it during a sale.

Yeah. I just started replaying City, so I can go for a while and wait for the summer sale. It's 85% off at GMG though, which is a hard discount to beat.

Dusk Golem

Oh, also before the FEAR series goes off sale on GMG, some impressions on the title no one has mentioned today, FEAR 3, the black sheep of the franchise.

header_292x136.jpg

FEAR 3 represents what is wrong with many 'modernization' processes of games. It takes everything that people liked about the first few games in the series and just replaces or modifies them to work with current trends, such as in this case regenerating health, co-op, perks... However, I would also argue FEAR 3 is not a bad game. If you're looking for a game akin to FEAR 1 or 2, this unfortunately is not it. It also is pretty lacking in the horror department. It's not scary, or even really atmospheric, though it attempts to be. What it is though, is a pretty fun multiplayer experience.

The story will probably piss-off long-time fans. Without going too deep into spoilers, the story basically focuses mostly on Fettel, the antagonist from the first game. The stories already kind of in a mess from the out-go, as we have things from psychic powers, clones, the fact our two main characters are the sons of the series main antagonist Alma, and just other plot elements that just scream they're so bad. But it's not badly written to be fair, and if you kind of turn off your brain it's kind of stupid entertainment. But you really shouldn't be playing this game for the story.

The campaign should last for about 5-7 hours, with some highs and lows, but that in no way compares to the previous two games. The co-op helps make it a bit more fun, for better or worse. The two brothers play completely differently though, with Pointman basically being your typical action hero with the guns and the slide-kicks, and Fettel being actually surprisingly rather fresh, being a psychic man who can levitate enemies, possess them, shoot energy blasts, and more. Honestly, both are pretty fun, but I have to hand it to Fettel as for a game with very little inspiration behind it, his gameplay is actually rather original for this sort of game and fun.

But it's not the campaign you should be buying FEAR 3 for, as weird as that might sound. I find most people never delve into the multiplayer modes in this game. And it's sensible, as the campaign is disappointing and usually multiplayer modes are tagged on without much thought or effort, so it's probably nothing special, right?

Well, that's wrong, as it turns out the multiplayer modes in this game are actually the best part of the game.

I can't even count how many friends who got FEAR 3 that ended up loving the multiplayer modes and hating the campaign. Let me explain; The campaign lacks tension, and often is a bit repetitive, on-top of the fact it just feels rather uninspired most of the time, its horror elements fail, and its action sequences aren't particularly great. But something FEAR 3 does surprisingly well is understand the fun elements of multiplayer shooters. Hell, some of the multiplayer modes are even far more tense and more horror-like than anything in the campaign.

Multiplayer is split into four modes, and all four are pretty fun for up to four-players either locally or online. Each mode has different maps. One mode has you all as ghost phantoms who possess bodies and try to kill other enemies and your friends to collect souls, most souls at the end of a wave wins the round, and at the end of all waves, person with the most rounds won wins. Another mode has you in an open arena with multiple areas to station yourself in as you and friends fight hordes of enemies that come in waves, boarding up windows and between waves going out to collect supplies. It's a sort of rip-off of Zombie mode from CoD, but it has some interesting twists, such as Alma, who you should not look at as she'll cause randomized effects against you, ranging from just downing you to making you see your friends as enemies, making the screen go black, or teleporting you to another random point on the map. Or a fog, that gets thicker and thicker as the waves go on, and an unseen red-light monster lurks in the deeper parts of the fog... And in yet another mode, you and up to three friends run away from a giant wall of death. Really challenging, frantic, tense, panic-worthy, but a lot of fun as a lot of enemies get tossed your way and you only get small breathers to quickly recollect supplies before the wall is out it again. A race from death and survival that is both primal but also strategic and fun.

The game also looks pretty good, and the PC port is well-done. Music works, but nothing outside of the credits song sticks as being particularly memorable.

FEAR 3 is against most everything the FEAR series stands for, but if you can look over that and a disappointing campaign, I guarantee you there's some multiplayer fun here that is worth experiencing.

hohoXD123

Still getting at least 30 fps in most of the games (AssCreed 4 I had to take down to low to reach that, still was defo playable).

Add me to the low-end yet playable crew

Darkroronoa

Α6-5400K APU (with 1600mhz dual channel rams) with 1280x1024 or even 1024x768 resolution here (i played nazi zombie 2 at 800x600) :p
I will upgrade in a year, until then i am satisfied.

Dusk Golem

I'm surprised my graphics card works with no hitches to run games on highest quality settings, 60fps. AMD Radeon 7770.

I got this PC thinking the graphics card was outdated and I'd have to replace it but chose one that purposely had decent RAM and a fantastic cooling system, but I thought I'd have to replace the graphics card, but so far I've had absolutely no problems for even modern games on full settings and performance. To be honest, I'm not quite sure how it does it, and been working fine now for two years with modern games, but certain somewhere in the near future I'll have to replace it.

FEAR 3 is against most everything the FEAR series stands for, but if you can look over that and a disappointing campaign, I guarantee you there's some multiplayer fun here that is worth experiencing.

Fear 3 single player is pretty much straight up garbage. Is the multiplayer populated these days?

Knurek

I'm surprised my graphics card works with no hitches to run games on highest quality settings, 60fps. AMD Radeon 7770.

I got this PC thinking the graphics card was outdated and I'd have to replace it but chose one that purposely had decent RAM and a fantastic cooling system, but I thought I'd have to replace the graphics card, but so far I've had absolutely no problems for even modern games on full settings and performance. To be honest, I'm not quite sure how it does it, and been working fine now for two years with modern games, but certain somewhere in the near future I'll have to replace it.

Well, you do have the latest AMD tech...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom