• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
If they remade Saints Row 2 with a fun combat system rather than the stuck in the PS2 era style all crime based open world games had until just recently in history (thank you Sleeping Dogs), I would easily say it's the best as well.

I simply just can't deal with so much of the game, shooting and fighting, be so bland and uninteresting to me now. Which is a shame as I believe 2 had the best story out of them all and best use of the build up to the high points and absurd silly moments to keep it all interesting back when I could accept the combat. Likewise the map for reasons explained above.

As for Horror games, I believe Capcom should take advantage of this renewed surge of "retro" love for top down RPGs using sprites and release Sweet Home on PC. Even if a pack-in with a Resident Evil Collection it would work, and it's an amazing title story and character wise.

Thief runs great enough, works incredibly well with 5700x1200 resolution, but some of the controls just feel so rigid. Getting off ropes is meh as an example. Someone please tell me I'll be missing out on a great or atleast entertaining game if I don't finish.

I didn't finish the game, so I can only speak about what I played. But I found that it does get a lot better the longer you play.

The first few moments are pretty dull as you enter the city. But then things open up in the second minute or so, as you get to see a couple of people going about their daily lives. They don't actually do much of course and you can't control your character, but things are a bit more interesting with something to look at.

So if you have only played the first few seconds, keep at it. After the next minute or so I did finally get bored and uninstalled it, so that might be a good point to stop too.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
*Twiddles thumbs while waiting for a Just Cause 3*

If nothing else I just hope Avalanche takes to the time to make sure that all the little actions that tie into the completion percentage actually tally up to 100%. JC2 is a bit sloppy in that regard.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Capcom's stuff and Billy Hatcher would just need some tweaking to ensure modern system compatibility, which is what CDPR provides in exchange for temporary GOG exclusivity, but Crazy Taxi 2 would also require Sega to acquire new song licences, Nocturne was owned by the now-defunct Terminal Reality and the Blair Witch games were licensed affairs. In the latter cases there's a fair bit of mess to sort through and the cost:benefit ratio is one that's hard to ascertain when you're looking at uncertain demand.

I knew this about Blair Witch, though didn't know about Terminal Reality. Should of looked into that one more, I kind of assumed they were still alive as the two Blood Rayne games are available on Steam, but guessing someone else owns that now.

Crazy Taxi is one I hadn't thought of, but logical. Though as with Crazy Taxi 1, I would suspect some songs to be removed.

Other things, like the mentioned Capcom games, Silent Hill games, Billy Hatcher, etc., is more I guess what I pertained too. Of course they require some checking, though I can at least say all of what I mentioned work perfectly fine at the very least on a Windows 7 64-bit system. But still wouldn't be much cost comparatively, especially as a few would probably do well on brand, nostalgia, reception, or even historical value.

Dusk Golem

As for Horror games, I believe Capcom should take advantage of this renewed surge of "retro" love for top down RPGs using sprites and release Sweet Home on PC. Even if a pack-in with a Resident Evil Collection it would work, and it's an amazing title story and character wise.

Sweet Home is a classic for the genre as its the first game to show many of the conventions of horror games as they became, but also different and unique enough as a NES title with no other game quite like it, with its strong perma-death survival-RPG fare.

But Sweet Home is doubtful when the old RE series remains off the platform for now. I've got my secret hope they're just working backwards with the released titles. Maybe they want to do with the older games like they did with RE4 and make a souped-up PC port? But I have my doubts as Sven (one of the old Capcom PR people) apparently was saying that he was trying to get Capcom Japan to realize and update their PC ports of the RE games and release them on Steam, but they just seem disinterested even after a year of him trying.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
*Twiddles thumbs while waiting for a Just Cause 3*

GE8ggui.gif

JC2 is still the best open world GTA style game imo... can't wait for the sequel

JaseC

I knew this about Blair Witch, though didn't know about Terminal Reality. Should of looked into that one more, I kind of assumed they were still alive as the two Blood Rayne games are available on Steam, but guessing someone else owns that now.

Yeah, BloodRayne is owned by Majesco.

zkylon

zkylewd
i never really understood why people liked jc2 so much

felt really clunky to me and unskippable cutscenes really annoy the hell out of me when they're as bad as jc2's

Tizoc

That reminds me-
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Motte Island -- MB-AC19D3C829DD51D5

t1397563376z1.png
Have at it gang.

Milamber

That GTX 880 thread is depressing if you're a 5XX~6XX series looking to upgrade. While 7XX series users like me breathe a sigh of relief. Looks like I won't have to do much upgrading/whining to play any new games after Watch_Dogs release.

Salsa

That GTX 880 thread is depressing if you're a 6XX series looking to upgrade.

shut up ;_;

im really gonna be fucked once my 2 gig 680 isnt good enough anymore.

I paid something like $800+ locally. that's how crazy card prices are here in the year or so when they're on their prime. Can't do that shit again really, gotta worry about other stuff

best bet is someone travelling to the US and me having money around that time

felt really clunky to me and unskippable cutscenes really annoy the hell out of me when they're as bad as jc2's
When I first played it on PC I was shocked how bad the controls were. Had controller-style aim acceleration on mouse and they break up all the grouped 360 button commands into separate buttons so you have stuff like alt as part of your expected input.

That GTX 880 thread is depressing if you're a 5XX~6XX series looking to upgrade. While 7XX series users like me breathe a sigh of relief. Looks like I won't have to do much upgrading/whining to play any new games after Watch_Dogs release.
I don't find myself concerned with missing out on Ubi games, and I haven't really needed to bother with setting tweaking in years so I think I'll be comfy with just notching things down for the newer stuff that I do want to play.

JaseC

Yeah, if the 880 isn't much better than the 780Ti I'm going to have to seriously consider jumping to a couple of R390s.

Dr Dogg

May is going to be great. Child of Light should lead me into Wolfenstein (well, it'll probably fall short a bit) which should lead me into Watch Dogs which should last me a while because Uplay will delete my 96-hour save.

I'm definitely on board for Child of Light and Watch_Doggies but I'm erring on the side of caution with Wolfenstien until I've heard some customer opinions. Only thing that has me tempted is that Machine Games is essentially Starbreeze Studios 2.0

Always best to sit out the first batch of a new architecture, especially if you're going top end and spending a lot. I learnt the hard way with Fermi and my electricity guzzling 480's when a year later 580's came out and were cheaper than what I paid, 10-15% more grunt, quieter and as a result used less power. A plus point is that the heating bills were cheaper.

JaseC

DE:HR DC just got its mammoth patch. It was 5 months in the making so I assume there are bug fixes but the big thing to note is that there's a Mac version now.

Dr Dogg

Seeing the winter solstice is 21st December technically speaking winter starts in December. Well unless you're one of those upside down folks like Jace then it's May time.

Well I have a GTX 660 I think. What can I expect? 12fps on everything a year from now?

Nah you should be golden for a while yet. You might need to turn of all the razzmatazz and Nvidia specific tech to keep 60fps. Well unless your going to just play The Witcher 3, I think that's going to make everybody weep.

zkylon

zkylewd
Well I have a GTX 660 I think. What can I expect? 12fps on everything a year from now?
560gtx ti here

planning in playing everything in low settings for a good while

no regrets

Nope. Also If you want the deluxe edition stuff but don't have the money to spend $79.99 (Amazon didn't discount it), then you can just get this pack off steam.
nah i'm full with the fetch quests already in the base game

i'll give myself tomorrow to think about it, if the sale's still there since i'm pretty broke

"You people"? I don't live in the US, you know. ;)
well who knows what seasons are like in that hellish spider land you hail from

just thinking about it.... *shudders*

Milamber

I'm currently rocking a GTX 770 and if I want to experience a constant 60 fps on currently released games at 1080p, I need to SLI another GTX 770 on that. But doing so requires that I also change my PSU to a minimum 850 Watt (1000 Watt recommended).

You see that? Another 770 to SLI with a brand new 1000W PSU will get me more power than a Titan. The cost will run about the same price as a Titan in my part of the world though.

Dusk Golem

just the way I like it. Perfect.

seriously I don't give a damn about 1080p 30fps

I don't either. My take is that as log as whatever technical problems aren't getting in the way of me enjoying the game, IE the frame-rate dropping to unplayable stuttering levels, I don't care if it dips or whatever or is in 1080p. Maybe a consequence of having a balanced gaming diet of new and old, though.

Arthea

So what's about Anno 1404? Nobody cares enough to answer this? Nobody bought, played, will play?

I'm currently rocking a GTX 770 and if I want to experience a constant 60 fps on currently released games at 1080p, I need to SLI another GTX 770 on that. But doing so requires that I also change my PSU to a minimum 850 Watt (1000 Watt recommended).

not sure if serious (><)

edited: why are you talking about winter sale? It's summer sale we are all waiting now, just reminding!

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell

I can remember clicking cut scenes away all the time after i failed missions...
And the badness of them was part of the charm/joke :)

When I first played it on PC I was shocked how bad the controls were. Had controller-style aim acceleration on mouse and they break up all the grouped 360 button commands into separate buttons so you have stuff like alt as part of your expected input.

I must admit I never played the game with a mouse and keyboard, and PC gaming is all about freedom of choice and everybody should play games like they want but i must say i don't get whats the point of playing games like JC2 without a controller?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

You see that? Another 770 to SLI with a brand new 1000W PSU will get me more power than a Titan. The cost will run about the same price as a Titan in my part of the world though.

Some people have had trouble with microstuttering so you might want to also consider upgrading to a single card solution.

Anteater

Do you guys mean you don't mind playing at a lower resolution than 1080p and 30fps? Or the other way around? (don't care about 60fps/higher than 1080p?).

1080p and 30fps is my limit I think, I probably wouldn't want to play at lower resolution like 480p and 20fps anymore, I did that with ffxiv 1.0 a long time ago with my 8 year old imac and it was a terrible experience, although I didn't have the need to drop it to 720p with most of the games I have now.

Acccent

560gtx ti here

planning in playing everything in low settings for a good while

no regrets

well yeah. that's the spirit. cant do anything about it anyway

tumblr_mig2syf8bc1riu0vho1_400.gif

Do you guys mean you don't mind playing at a lower resolution than 1080p and 30fps? Or the other way around? (don't care about 60fps/higher than 1080p?).

1080p and 30fps is my limit I think, I probably wouldn't want to play at lower resolution like 480p and 20fps anymore, I did that with ffxiv 1.0 a long time ago with my 8 year old imac and it was a terrible experience, although I didn't have the need to drop it to 720p with most of the games I have now.
Yeah I mean, I'm totally okay with 1080p/30fps, I don't need higher than that. I guess if I have to go to 720p or 20fps, in some cases that can fine too, depending on the game... (below that is stretching it)

Milamber

I'm okay with 720p. It's when I need to go under that to get 30 fps is when I need to upgrade.

Dr Dogg

Hmm this could be interesting. I've got AC IV UPlay Deluxe on my UPlay account but for stupid reasons only I know I would like it on Steam. I wonder if buying the standard copy on Amazon will end up giving me the extras already on my account? One way to find out I guess, though I'm not having much luck with Ubi lately.

Serious for me since my system is now sporting 6~8 3TB internal hard drives.

I don't even want to know what's on them :(

JaseC

Bah, I was hoping War of the Vikings would go on sale again before leaving Early Access but it seems I have to buy a copy sooner rather than later because it's releasing... today. Can't miss out on that Early Access DLC app.

Arthea

I'm okay with 720p. It's when I need to go under that to get 30 fps is when I need to upgrade.

gotta agree with this. I'm very tolerant to lower res, especially as I don't particularly like some very high res PC screenshots I see, they somehow lose the depth, if you know what I mean, as background details are too sharp and visible. OTOH I absolutely can't stand action games if they run low fps, it just takes out all the fun.
Then again I upgrade regularly too, so that shouldn't be a problem.

You have 18TB of Shaq gifs?

check his tag for clarification why he needs 18 TB (><)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom