• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Came across this on a tumblr

#foodforthought

When it comes to stuff like this, Valve knows what they are doing. Their focus with the community marketplace is trying to maintain each item's value as much as possible, since they get a percentage cut. They treat it like most game companies would a virtual (in-game) economy.

Which is why I'm surprised that their marketplace still lacks a lot of basic features.

eBay found this out a long time ago - the easier you make the transaction process, the more money you'll make from that percentage.

Knurek

They already have high-resolution support and assets for the iPad version.

PC players have been shown to love tactical RPGs in the past. I see no reason why it wouldn't be a success.

Wonder how people that cut their teeth on hunting Chrysalids, Jagged Alliance and Total War games would handle Riovanes Castle fight.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
why is that titanfall shit on steam when the game isnt lol
oh EA

Grief.exe

2577926-3225430647-geeeo.gif

Don't remind me of that nightmare.

Acccent

When it comes to stuff like this, Valve knows what they are doing. Their focus with the community marketplace is trying to maintain each item's value as much as possible, since they get a percentage cut. They treat it like most game companies would a virtual (in-game) economy.

Which is why I'm surprised that their marketplace still lacks a lot of basic features.

eBay found this out a long time ago - the easier you make the transaction process, the more money you'll make from that percentage.

Yeah. We joke about Steam itself being a game, especially during the sales, but it's crazy how much economy-oriented game design must go into the development of the platform. It's in a lot of ways like F2P games... except in this case, weirdly, it's gamified spending. "Free to buy"?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yeah. We joke about Steam itself being a game, especially during the sales, but it's crazy how much economy-oriented game design must go into the development of the platform. It's in a lot of ways like F2P games... except in this case, weirdly, it's gamified spending. "Free to buy"?

Exactly. For example, in that tumblr post they say that they're given an exclusive item that's worth $25 on the community marketplace. They're only seeing the transaction from a single side - they're selling the item to convert it into Steam wallet credit that can only be used on Steam which thus gives Valve more money.

The part their missing is that, once sold, the item isn't "used" (unless it's a one-time use item like a TF2 key). That same $25 "exclusive" item can be resold an infinite number of times, and each time it's sold Valve keeps a percentage of that transaction.

As long as Valve can maintain that item's rarity / marketability, they can continue to collect residual income on the transfer of ownership of that item indefinitely. By cutting off the supply at a certain point (like, the item was a pre-order bonus that is no longer available) they can actually cause the value of said items to increase as they change hands between collectors and market speculators.

Now multiply this by the thousands upon thousands of items in the Steam marketplace, and you can see why it's kind of a big deal.

HoosTrax

I am horribly addicted to Tales of Maj'Eyal. I just got my 200th achievement. only 1097 to go.not much to look at but a ton of character variety to play as.
Great game once you get past the somewhat ugly graphics. I feel kind of embarrassed about playing through my first time on "Exploration" difficulty to be able to unlock more birth options, and spamming global chat with my death messages.

Phinor

You were hoping for a written documentary to be on Steam? Like, that was your first thought? You didn't want it to be on iTunes, Amazon, or whatever other ebook service?

Interesting.

I hate reading anything on a tablet/mobile (and I do own a decent tablet and a relatively new phone). I prefer actual physical copies of books but if not available, I will always choose my computer over other (inferior?) devices. In fact I don't really like using any digital services/stores besides Steam, I've never bought anything from iTunes or other such services. If I want a movie, I'll buy a Blu-ray and so on.

Maybe that's the whole point, I don't like buying digital because I feel like it's not really buying, it's renting until the service shuts down. Steam has for whatever reason broken through that barrier although it isn't really any better.

donny2112

Found an old Penny-Arcade: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, Episode 3 Steam code around. Not sure if it's still valid, so just posting it instead of doing it with Modbot. Post if it worked for you, please. Thanks!

Quote to see:

Acccent

I hate reading anything on a tablet/mobile (and I do own a decent tablet and a relatively new phone). I prefer actual physical copies of books but if not available, I will always choose my computer over other (inferior?) devices. In fact I don't really like using any digital services/stores besides Steam, I've never bought anything from iTunes or other such services. If I want a movie, I'll buy a Blu-ray and so on.

Maybe that's the whole point, I don't like buying digital because I feel like it's not really buying, it's renting until the service shuts down. Steam has for whatever reason broken through that barrier although it isn't really any better.

Okay. I just find it interesting, in relation to the other discussion I was having with jshackles re. the way Valve monetizes each purchase to make way more than its base price off it; I wonder how they'll expand that strategy to less-gamey content, like films, software, or ebooks. Maybe even music, considering they enabled streaming recently. I wonder if they're aiming at becoming a way larger distribution service in the future – with Valve you never know... they probably consider Amazon to be their biggest competitor right now (even more now that Amazon is directly getting into games).

All of this scheming, while somehow managing to stay, in the eyes of a large majority of customers, almost a godsend. Genius indeed...

Exactly. For example, in that tumblr post they say that they're given an exclusive item that's worth $25 on the community marketplace. They're only seeing the transaction from a single side - they're selling the item to convert it into Steam wallet credit that can only be used on Steam which thus gives Valve more money.

The part their missing is that, once sold, the item isn't "used" (unless it's a one-time use item like a TF2 key). That same $25 "exclusive" item can be resold an infinite number of times, and each time it's sold Valve keeps a percentage of that transaction.

As long as Valve can maintain that item's rarity / marketability, they can continue to collect residual income on the transfer of ownership of that item indefinitely. By cutting off the supply at a certain point (like, the item was a pre-order bonus that is no longer available) they can actually cause the value of said items to increase as they change hands between collectors and market speculators.

Now multiply this by the thousands upon thousands of items in the Steam marketplace, and you can see why it's kind of a big deal.

But the percentage Valve takes is not even real money. How can they profit from this?

Fake edit: Oh, they profit from the transfer of funds into one's account to purchase the item.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I'll state the obvious and say FEZ is really good, and I'll definitely spend more time with the game once I finish the ones I'm already playing.

*Put FEZ back to the giant backlog queue.

Such smart move from Valve.

Gabe-Newell-peers-seductively-over-his-fan-of-money-610x240.jpg

Levyne

Banned
Heart Forth looks good, but for some reason I find myself wanting to roll my eyes when the first thing I read is something like "90s inspired metroidvania rpg". Even if that is what it is.

jshackles

Heart Forth, Alicia may be the fastest game to get the Greenlight.

Is this the first game to be greenlit before completing their funding goal on an active kickstarter campaign?

I mean - what happens now if they don't meet their funding goal?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is this the first game to be greenlit before having a successful kickstarter campaign?

Tons of games have been greenlit without successful Kickstarter campaigns. Dream was in the first Greenlight batch and failed its Kickstarter badly. Also Shadow Of The Eternals, among others. What happens is that either the dev powers on and eventually releases the game, or they don't. Plenty of early Greenlight successes were never released; including Grey Matter until recently, and even then it was released by a different company than the company that put it on Greenlight.

I've still got 45 titles on my "Great I Favourited" list that haven't been Greenlit, in case anyone is looking for stuff to vote yes on but doesn't want to wade through the turds:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=179798494

derExperte

Is this the first game to be greenlit before completing their funding goal on an active kickstarter campaign?

Games got greenlit that already failed on Kickstarter or the dev team was disbanded. Greenlight doesn't care about small details like that.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Mixed batch for me.

Heart Forth, Alicia, Silence of the Sleep, Dead Synchronicity, Qasir al-Wasat, Still Alive, Popup Dungeon, and Coldfire Keep seem to look appealing to me, though some of them look very mediocre.

Derayenic looks like certain other games. Shark Attack is garbage. Even the only anime-esque game that got through in this batch looks like garbage to me.

I do recognize Rot Gun though since it's currently in a bundle. Spice Road has been bundled as well.

And there's a lot of other games I don't recognize at all or don't care about. Meh.

HoosTrax

Tons of games have been greenlit without successful Kickstarter campaigns. Dream was in the first Greenlight batch and failed its Kickstarter badly. Also Shadow Of The Eternals, among others. What happens is that either the dev powers on and eventually releases the game, or they don't. Plenty of early Greenlight successes were never released; including Grey Matter until recently, and even then it was released by a different company than the company that put it on Greenlight.

I've still got 45 titles on my "Great I Favourited" list that haven't been Greenlit, in case anyone is looking for stuff to vote yes on but doesn't want to wade through the turds:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=179798494
Is this a joke? Is the soda laced with LSD? What's going on here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom