• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

More Dark Souls II downsampled from 4K

Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/16/dark-souls-2-4k-screenshots/

ibl6JOYinefny3.jpg

ijKu8J4cq2pTV.jpg

HoosTrax

Back in the Doom 3 and Far Cry 1 days, games tended to go overboard a bit with the bump mapping, since that was kind of a new technology that developers loved to show off. Sort of like excessive bloom a couple of years ago.

With Dark Souls 1/2, I think they've gone in the opposite direction wrt the bump mapping, and the surfaces look flat-textured, without much nuance/depth to the surfaces.

Darkroronoa

I list every single game from a Bundle I've bought that doesn't have a Steam key, no matter what.

And then I use IGBwiki.com Keys Added to alert me to keys being added, as well as just looking through Steam new releases. If a game shows up that Enhanced Steam says was in a bundle, I'll CTRL+F through the file.

I have to do this someday, very nice.

Kiru

lol finished the Broforce Brototype. When you choose not to preoder and select "Money is for Capitalist Dogs" the game closes and you get redirected to the amazon listing of George Orwell's Animal Farm :D

tylergregg

Neo Member
Posted this on Monday, not taken yet.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

FEZ -- MB-1ECF542C0EFD19B1 - Taken by TetraxShards

people other than apple make tablets?

Yes, quite nice ones too.

i
give me an htc one ultra x thats the size of a 5s and i'm all about it.

looking down at someone as ignorant because of their phone choice is fedora as hell b

(1) The worst thing about the 5 is it's horrible change in proportion. when they went to a bigger screen, they just stretched vertically. It's horrible and the reason I didn't go back to IPhone with my last smartphone purchase. Had the 5 kept the aspect ratio of older iphones and enlarged the screen, I probably would have switched back. But when all was said and done, I'm rather happy with my current phone, so I'm glad the aspect ratio of the 5's screen made it something I wouldn't consider.

(2)I'm not sure what the hell "fedora as hell b" is supposed to mean, but it uh.. sounds fedora as hell? :p

Reposting for new page - still some left:

Same page here. Time to get with the superior 100ppp club...

Sam & Max is awesome, at least what I played of it (first 5 episodes from season 1 and a bit of the 6th). You can't go wrong with that one.

- Let's get cracking!
- Jokes or skulls?

Whynotboth.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
loaded up Master Reboot for cards, decided to actually play it a bit instead of idling as usual.

Seems pretty cool, even if I have no idea whats going on (well, I have a suspition of what the theme is). I dig the look and vibe so far

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
loaded up Master Reboot for cards, decided to actually play it a bit instead of idling as usual.

Seems pretty cool, even if I have no idea whats going on (well, I have a suspition of what the theme is). I dig the look and vibe so far

Master Reboot was pretty interesting, here was my Steam review on it:

header_292x136.jpg

Master Reboot is a bit of an odd game. In both an obvious way and a non-obvious way. Essentially, the idea behind Master Reboot is that you are in a future where people can upload their memories, personality, and other traits into a cloud service, and then family and friends can visit these memories or download and install these peoples personalities into robotic shells to continue living with them if they desire. However, there was a crash in the system that caused the whole cloud service to have a reboot, which lost and corrupted some data. And now you play someone delving into the memories of someone with said corrupted data looking for something.

It's basically a walking simulator experience game, except not in a typical sense. The game is split-up into memories, with each memory being a stage. They're called memories, but they're more like surreal dreams, with a lot of odd and abstract imagery and logic. Each memory also is different, and not just in themes, but with what you do. Some are literal walking simulators, but others have elements like puzzles, or things you have to avoid or sneak past or else you'll die.

The stages have some good variety. Some are more relaxing, like this beach stage where you look for items with a metal detector. Others are a bit obtuse with what you must do, like this one amusement park stage you attend too. Some take on a horror tone, with creepy atmosphere and things trying to kill you.

On that note, my favorite stage, and something that was legitimately scary, was the plane memory. With memories in the game like a hospital and school and graveyard, you'd think one of those would be the scariest stage (and they do have some creepy factor, to be sure), but the actual scariest stage was definitely the plane one. It scared me pretty bad a few times, and this is coming from someone who plays a lot of horror games.

That's the thing I think this game does best. Atmosphere. I think the people who will enjoy this game the most are those who like atmosphere and maybe some oddities in their games. It was a bit longer than I was anticipating, but I did like it. Not the best thing I've ever played, but I liked the variety of tasks and settings, even if the basic concept of the game's story was more interesting than the story that develops in the game. But I'd say worth checking out if you're into this kind of thing.

just 5? just? *insert evil laugh here*

I control my capitol, Morocco and Persia's. Assyria is behind me technologically and militarily, I could probably seize their capitol and make them a non-issue for the rest of the game in 10 turns. Both Ethiopia and Korea's capitol are on the coast of the other continent, I have a fleet of battleships with some destroyers and could take their capitols in one or two turns. I've already taken Siam's coastal city in one turn, the only challenge will be taking Siam's capitol and the Zulu's former capitol, which Ethiopia has, because both are in-land on the other continent. I would need to shift my land army after taking Assyria, who is now land-locked and alone with my Catholic Communist Brazilian empire.

It's a game of assholes, everyone is denouncing everyone, everyone is at war with someone, so no one is going to help anyone else. I shall bring peace through forced unity.

Master Reboot was pretty interesting, here was my Steam review on it:

header_292x136.jpg

Master Reboot is a bit of an odd game. In both an obvious way and a non-obvious way. Essentially, the idea behind Master Reboot is that you are in a future where people can upload their memories, personality, and other traits into a cloud service, and then family and friends can visit these memories or download and install these peoples personalities into robotic shells to continue living with them if they desire. However, there was a crash in the system that caused the whole cloud service to have a reboot, which lost and corrupted some data. And now you play someone delving into the memories of someone with said corrupted data looking for something.

It's basically a walking simulator experience game, except not in a typical sense. The game is split-up into memories, with each memory being a stage. They're called memories, but they're more like surreal dreams, with a lot of odd and abstract imagery and logic. Each memory also is different, and not just in themes, but with what you do. Some are literal walking simulators, but others have elements like puzzles, or things you have to avoid or sneak past or else you'll die.

The stages have some good variety. Some are more relaxing, like this beach stage where you look for items with a metal detector. Others are a bit obtuse with what you must do, like this one amusement park stage you attend too. Some take on a horror tone, with creepy atmosphere and things trying to kill you.

On that note, my favorite stage, and something that was legitimately scary, was the plane memory. With memories in the game like a hospital and school and graveyard, you'd think one of those would be the scariest stage (and they do have some creepy factor, to be sure), but the actual scariest stage was definitely the plane one. It scared me pretty bad a few times, and this is coming from someone who plays a lot of horror games.

That's the thing I think this game does best. Atmosphere. I think the people who will enjoy this game the most are those who like atmosphere and maybe some oddities in their games. It was a bit longer than I was anticipating, but I did like it. Not the best thing I've ever played, but I liked the variety of tasks and settings, even if the basic concept of the game's story was more interesting than the story that develops in the game. But I'd say worth checking out if you're into this kind of thing.

Nice review, and I agree with you on the atmosphere. I wrote up something a couple of months ago about the game because I felt it wasn't very good, overall.

I don't usually feel compelled to write up my thoughts on a game but I just finished Master Reboot and feel like sharing my frustration with this game. I've had my eye on it since it was released but because of Double Fine's Amnesia Fortnight Mnemonic prototype reminding me of it I thought I'd play through it to get myself even more hyped up for that prototype.

Pros:

Interesting story.
Creepy atmosphere.

Cons:

Graphically, the games looks unfinished most of the time. Sometimes it looks like its the style they were going for but there are a lot of objects and environment pieces that just look like the developers never completed.

Cheap, trial-and-error deaths throughout the game that feel out of place and add nothing other than a way to extend the length of the game.

Extremely easy and boring puzzles. There's one particular section towards the end of the game, at a train station, that was so dull I was falling asleep. It's bad enough that you have to do it once but you have to do it four times to progress.

Attempts at being scary go no further than jump scares.

Annoying checkpoint system. A lot of times when the player dies you have to watch a slow scene play out that you previously saw or go through a section that you previously already went through.

Bugs, glitches. I encountered a lot of graphical glitches and even got stuck in various parts of an environment.

What's most frustrating is that I think the story and world are interesting but dragged down by all of the "gamey" stuff. I think it should have been a exploration adventure game like Gone Home. It definitely needed more time in development because so much feels unfinished or not thought out long enough.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
why is everything coming out at the same time

Dark Souls 2
Killer is Dead
Child of Light

what else am I missing

edit: watchdawgs

I have Dark Souls 2 for 30 and Killer is Dead still waiting for the deals to show up but still Day 1. Child of Light I'm not sure if I want it yet and Watchdogs I have a feeling that might be better to wait for that one to drop on price.

jester

Neo Member
This is very likely the wrong place to ask, but I really need help with this. I'm a huge fan of Big Picture, but it seems that everyday when I start playing, within a few minutes, the game automatically alt-tabs back to Big Picture mode (without any menus/icons). Sometimes I can alt-tab back into game, but other games just crash. Afterwards the game will run fine and it won't occur again until the next day.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? I'm on Windows 8.1.

This is very likely the wrong place to ask, but I really need help with this. I'm a huge fan of Big Picture, but it seems that everyday when I start playing, within a few minutes, the game automatically alt-tabs back to Big Picture mode (without any menus/icons). Sometimes I can alt-tab back into game, but other games just crash. Afterwards the game will run fine and it won't occur again until the next day.

Sometimes when I watch a movie on MPC in full screen on my PC it suddenly goes out of full screen for no reason. Related?

The_Monk

Phew, finally some free time and the weekend is almost here.

Any good links to check some Dark Souls II screenshots at 1080p 60 FPS? Or even a bit of gameplay without major Bosses spoilers, please? 4k is a reality that I do not belong, unfortunately so I wanted to keep my expectations realistic.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm starting to question my sanity with 100%ing Lego Hobbit. It's good and pretty addictive, but the levels take like 8-10 hours to finish and the remaining content is like 20 more hours. I would prefer if these games were balanced like the Batman games are.

I have the same problem in Windows 7. It's quite frustrating and I have yet to find a solution even after trying numerous fixes I've found online. All I can do to prevent it is to play games borderless fullscreen windowed. It seems to only happen when something is running full screen, so by playing a game windowed fullscreen I prevent that from happening. The worst was when it would happen in Dark Souls, since you can't pause. Happened to me once while fighting Havel The Rock. By the time I got back into the game I was dead. :(

Ruruja

Any good links to check some Dark Souls II screenshots at 1080p 60 FPS? Or even a bit of gameplay without major Bosses spoilers, please? 4k is a reality that I do not belong, unfortunately so I wanted to keep my expectations realistic.

Heh.

I have received an email from indiegamestand that "Volt" steam key is now available.
but i cant see it in "game wallet" am i doing something wrong?
they say game has been Greenlight.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm starting to question my sanity with 100%ing Lego Hobbit. It's good and pretty addictive, but the levels take like 8-10 hours to finish and the remaining content is like 20 more hours. I would prefer if these games were balanced like the Batman games are.

I'm kind of in the same boat - most of the levels can't be completed to 100% on a single playthrough. You have to unlock "free play mode" and play them again after you have the right combination of characters. So 8-10 of those other 20 hours are just replaying the same levels.

Still, it's a great game and this and LOTR are now my favorite Lego games.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

Ohhh no 4k. I see. I guess we'll have to wait for players to take pics of the game in 1080.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm kind of in the same boat - most of the levels can't be completed to 100% on a single playthrough. You have to unlock "free play mode" and play them again after you have the right combination of characters. So 8-10 of those other 20 hours are just replaying the same levels.

Still, it's a great game and this and LOTR are now my favorite Lego games.
They have made the free play runs of levels a lot smoother compared to the old days. Starting up levels in specific segments along with the collectibles being broken down by segment smooths that collecting out a lot.

Grief.exe

I posted some 1080p shots downsampled from a 4K source about a page back.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Looks like A_DJ just became the first Steam collector to hit 3,000 games.

Sadly, there isn't a new collector badge (yet)

jester

Neo Member
I have the same problem in Windows 7. It's quite frustrating and I have yet to find a solution even after trying numerous fixes I've found online. All I can do to prevent it is to play games borderless fullscreen windowed. It seems to only happen when something is running full screen, so by playing a game windowed fullscreen I prevent that from happening. The worst was when it would happen in Dark Souls, since you can't pause. Happened to me once while fighting Havel The Rock. By the time I got back into the game I was dead. :(

I had the same problem in Windows 7 as well. Is there a performance hit when running games in Windowed mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom