• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

natertots

I just received a STEAM coupon in my inventory for 75% off Football Manager 2014. I already own the game so if anyone has a coupon they wouldn't use or wants to trade let me know through PM!

Grief.exe

Holy shit at all the games that have sold/activated moe than 1 million on Steam.

PC gaming growing strong.

Awesome to see that there are 1,3 million Steam users who owns Dark Souls. Did nto thi nk it was that many. Maybe 500k or something.

1.4 million actually. Around 100,000 haven't run the game by their estimates.

Acccent

Oh! today's deal is System Shock 2. Considering I promised to play it, I feel kinda obligated to get it, but isn't it quite frequently cheaper?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Because that is 2 games out of hundreds. I'm not saying that there are good games not in there, but I am saying pointing the finger at this soda drinking thing seems a bit unfair.

It might be unfair, but it's a really good example of why I'm beginning to really dislike Greenlight. There have been others like it that are out there as well, with probably just as many good games, or at the very least mediocre/average games, that have made it through the service.

Oh! today's deal is System Shock 2. Considering I promised to play it, I feel kinda obligated to get it, but isn't it quite frequently cheaper?

It's definitely been way cheaper than $4.99 in the past, yes. I think the lowest it's ever been on Steam was $2.49 during one of the big sales.

1.4 million actually. Around 100,000 haven't run the game by their estimates.

I'm one of the 100,000. I was pondering firing it up earlier but decided that I would try and clear a few, shorter games first. I've just spent weeks dedicated to XCOM so I really don't want to rush back into a similar obsession as I fear it will be when I finally try DS.

Hopefully.

Grief.exe

I think you should still buy it, even if it has been cheaper in the past.

It was seriously one of the best games that I played last year, and it already goes down as one of the best games I have ever played.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Is there any way to see what game Valve removed from an account? I can see my gamecount change but I have no idea what game they may have taken.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is there any way to see what game Valve removed from an account? I can see my gamecount change but I have no idea what game they may have taken.

Almost certainly a free weekend that expired, unless you've been specifically contacted with an email saying a game was removed from your account.

yuraya

That top 100 most played games on steam chart is amazing. When all is set and done Steam will definitely go down as the most diverse gaming platform ever made. Props to Valve. The only thing thats really missing from that chart is some sports games. If EA had half a brain they would release sports games on Steam.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Almost certainly a free weekend that expired, unless you've been specifically contacted with an email saying a game was removed from your account.

Thanks and since I didn't get the e-mail it must be that, I don't really check my gamecount but it's not the first time that I remember seeing I have a game less than the previous couple of days or so, is good to know that Valve will let me know if they remove something from my account.

Shade

Some extras, enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dark Fall Lost Souls -- MB-434AF98AC730C2FB - Taken by The_Monk. 13 entrants total.
Broken Sword 3 The Sleeping Dragon -- MB-2395EF2B870BFC3F - Taken by Remij. 8 entrants total.
Broken Sword 2 The Smoking Mirror -- MB-291257F454E02803 - Taken by bkw. 3 entrants total.
Alien Breed 2 -- MB-E4FF38526DC23D67 - Taken by bobnowhere. 3 entrants total.
Broken Sword Directors Cut -- MB-5F334022F7E39660 - Taken by eyeless. 9 entrants total.
Sacred Gold -- MB-B30C6E6118019E93 - Taken by topyy. 4 entrants total.
Alien Breed 3 -- MB-88E608A334B5BD72 - Taken by Kifimbo. 7 entrants total.

t1397706025z1.png

Because that is 2 games out of hundreds. I'm not saying that there are good games not in there, but I am saying pointing the finger at this soda drinking thing seems a bit unfair.

He was making a general point about the games getting greenlit. The Sea Will Claim Everything is truly one of the tragic stories of the Steam greenlight saga.

r3n4ud

That top 100 most played games on steam chart is amazing. When all is set and done Steam will definitely go down as the most diverse gaming platform ever made. Props to Valve. The only thing thats really missing from that chart is some sports games. If EA had half a brain they would release sports games on Steam.

I would buy their sports games in a heartbeat. Really miss hockey and golf on pc.

Won a "diplomatic" victory with Brazil. I was a few turns shy of an Order cultural victory too. Had to give up on the Order domination because I couldn't afford all of the unhappiness. I didn't want to risk losing any capitols to other empires. At -10 unhappiness you get random "barbarian" rebel units spawning around your empire, damaging your tiles. At -20 unhappiness, your cities start flipping to other empires.

7C2E31E04BBD0B3EF77DA0A0A13D85EB21074C01

If I was more of a consistent warmonger throughout the entire game I probably could've won a domination victory but I was Brazil so I wanted to try for a cultural victory. Civ decided to populate that particular game with a bunch of hateful, war-mongering assholes which made me change plans preeeeeeetty quickly.

Won a cultural victory as Brazil
on a low difficulty.
some time back. The key is to keep your city count low.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Odd problem I'm having. I'm trying to install and play Xotic, which I gratefully won from NingenJanai, but it seems to refuse to properly download. Not from an incomplete download nor an incomplete install as all the proper files are there, but rather the files are set to Hidden for some reason in Windows and Steam refuses to activate it for me to play through that. Attempting to change them from Hidden to Showing results in corrupted data according to Steam.

I see no settings in Steam or Windows that would turn anything to a hidden file, other games download just fine and are fully visible, but not Xotic.

on a low difficulty.

I understand how culture and research costs increase with each city but Assyria is a war-monger and Persia can be as well, both were my immediate neighbours. Early game Persia settled a fuck-you city on my capitols border and I had Siam, Ethiopia and Assyria all declare war on me shortly after. I had to switch gears pretty quickly. At first I was on the defensive but I turned it around pretty quickly. It would've be nice if I was left to my own devices and just boost culture and research but the A.I. didn't give me that luxury.

Rio was still a monstrous cultural center though...

9933473286E90464C542698D2DEA4DD4720013AE

Pretty easy to get the theme bonuses when you control 4 empires worth of territory.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
on a low difficulty.

Cultural victory is awesome, prophet bombing other cities and pushing your religon across the world, gaining control of the world congress, getting a ton of art and organizing which pieces go in each building to maximize culture gains. so rad.

just got my first space win. gonna try for a 1v1 conquest victory next.

Parsnip

Played a little bit of Arkham Oranges.
The combat feels a little off somehow. Can't quite put my finger on it. Like, the timing or something is different from Arkham City, and it's messing me up.
Some of the city stuff feels weird as well, almost like the grapple range is shorter and I keep flying towards a building expecting to grapple it, but the icon never shows up and I just fly into a wall. It's weird, going to need some time to get used to it.

The combat feels a little off somehow. Can't quite put my finger on it. Like, the timing or something is different from Arkham City, and it's messing me up.
Some of the city stuff feels weird as well, almost like the grapple range is shorter and I keep flying towards a building expecting to grapple it, but the icon never shows up and I just fly into a wall. It's weird, going to need some time to get used to it.
The rhythm, most of the enemies strikes too early, and a lot of them are special enemy types, meaning you can't chain your combos easily.

There are a lot of buildings you can't grapple to. It's frustrating as hell

!
ModBot said:
Instructions for Widdly Scuds:
Don't use alcohol while operating ModBot

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Poker Night 2 -- MB-972E97C5F30B1743 - Taken by Atraveller. 9 entrants total.

t1397698555z1.png

Nabs

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the counter hit timing is a little different. You can't just use Y to save you from every bad decision. You'll have to approach fights a little different in AO and think about every attack you throw out.

Papo y Yo and Brothers got by on their visuals for me. Both told stories in very heavy-handed and predictable ways. Both had some solid and some iffy puzzle design.

Brothers had solid puzzle design? That's news to me. But I agree otherwise... haven't played Papo y Yo yet so I can't speak to that.

Yeah, that's your fault. :p

Haha wut. Combo-chaining honestly feels easier because once you enter crit mode you become a god in Arkham Origins.

There's definitely different timing... it takes awhile to adjust... the counter window is different (and if you don't have the indicators on, it's difficult to adjust)... there's some other changes, but as you play, it should be easy enough to adapt.

Speeds of everyone's attacks have been changed (Bats and enemies), generally enemies attack quicker/more frequently, some of new Batman attack animations are faster while others are slow (the enemy>vault>land on other enemy has an extra pound move added on the end, yet the move isn't a guaranteed K.O., making it last too long to justify the risk), the aerial attack (stun, then jump/jump) seems to cancel out surrounding enemy attacks as if you started an instant takedown and enemies "lock-on" is stronger (you can still break their lock-on like in past games, but they'll regain it faster). Mid-beat-down counters sometimes land batman in weird places in relation to the beat-down target which can get wonky in certain terrain. Batarangs that hit shield or armor guys breaks the combo. Because of the enemy lock-on change, stuff like the explosive gel cartwheel doesn't throw them off as much, so even if you do that perpendicular to an incoming attack rather than straight into it, you can still get hit.

All of these aspects of combat are just less balanced according to one another than all the systems in Arkham City. Origins is definitely harder in combat, but largely due to jank. When going for the harder medals/challenges, the flaws really get in the way; rather than being solid, if a bit easy, just to finish a single fight, Origins' combat more of a challenge to finish a typical fight, and having to deal with certain moves/systems clashing. The shock gauntlets are a great concept and in how they work, but they simply become too powerful and seem like they're being used as a bandage

There's definitely fun to be had in fights and there are times when it can click. I just hope that Arkham Knight keeps the combat at least as solid as City's on a base level. If the foundation is solid, then from there, the enemies can attack as quickly/rapidly as possible, so long as everything else is adjusted accordingly.

three hits to start the free-flow "zip across the room" attacks, 5 or 8 (depending on upgrades earned) to gain a combo move use, then 12 for the focus mode.

It is different than the other two. Takes a little getting used to

Haha wut. Combo-chaining honestly feels easier because once you enter crit mode you become a god in Arkham Origins.

yup and this. Crit mode + shock gloves just decimates just about anything.

fNJEzDA.png

Guess I'll go choke on it now.

Just did that as well
with a guide
. Both endings are a cluster fuck. Guess you don't play Fez for a story.

jester

Neo Member
Not that I've noticed, nope. It's kinda nice because now I can tab out of the game to surf the net
gaf
and back to the game without screwing up the game or my resolution or anything.

Someone in here mentioned using this https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming.

Thanks! I will look into that.

Sometimes when I watch a movie on MPC in full screen on my PC it suddenly goes out of full screen for no reason. Related?

I don't really watch movies in Windows so I am not sure. However, when I am not using my TV or Steam, this is a non-issue.

oipic

fNJEzDA.png

Guess I'll go choke on it now.

Nice one, well played. :)

I'm tackling Fez at the moment, too, and even with the occasional dip into a guide (really struggling to speak Fezian), I'm finding it a bit of a mind-blowing challenge.

I have the utmost respect for anyone that has 100% completed Fez under any circumstances, but those that have done so without guides etc are god-tier gamers in my book.

Nice one, well played. :)

I'm tackling Fez at the moment, too, and even with the occasional dip into a guide (really struggling to speak Fezian), I'm finding it a bit of a mind-blowing challenge.

I have the utmost respect for anyone that has 100% completed Fez under any circumstances, but those that have done so without guides etc are god-tier gamers in my book.

completely agree. Some of those puzzles are just....what in the hell. Any of the
red-cube
ones? damn.

-MD-

There's probably 4 people that can claim that.

3 people that bought the game and Phil Fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom