• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Curse of the backlog. How serious is it with you guys?
20+ games here.
outch

i can't complain, i wanna play the games i backed on kickstarter and i owe the universe to someday play the baldur's gate series but that's about it

i don't feel obliged to play anything else, i just go as i feel, which is why i've been mostly just playing jrpgs since there's a lot of them i wanna play

but i only have like 300 games on steam so i'm not the worst offender

Miguel81

outch

i can't complain, i wanna play the games i backed on kickstarter and i owe the universe to someday play the baldur's gate series but that's about it

i don't feel obliged to play anything else, i just go as i feel, which is why i've been mostly just playing jrpgs since there's a lot of them i wanna play

but i only have like 300 games on steam so i'm not the worst offender

Have you played though Secret of Mana & Terranigma? Those are the most highly recommended by myself.

Minimal, that is a healthy backlog to have.

Not too many games to be completely swamped, but enough to give you some choice on which game you want to play next.

Yeah Steam and all the bundles really spoil you choice. It's really compulsive buying.

"Here's a game for 5$ you like and take all these games while you're at it".

Crazy stuff.
And I still haven't experienced the summer sales. Might have to avoid the internet when those sales come.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
20+ games here.
Hundreds, and I don't care. Finishing games is overrated.
I play what I like when I like and love just looking through my collection. ^^

Arthea

Steam proves to be worst thing possible for my backlog, mostly because of no restrains from my part, I wanna play everything, inspite of how impossible that is and lower prices.
I have separate backlog for consoles, not that small either, and gog, but basically all my gog backlog I rebought on steam now. This is the place where I blame Jasec again, even if it's not his fault, but it has to be done!
I barely touched my Origin, Uplay and Desura backlogs and Desura one isn't small either, but most of those games come to steam anyway, so I can safely ignore them.

zkylon

zkylewd
wait, i don't think a backlog includes all them humble bundled games you didn't want or the stupid mistakes from sales and all that

like you drew bad rats in an evil modbot giveaway and it's not like it's suddenly in your backlog

for me a backlog is just a list of games i feel bad i haven't played yet

New avatar here!
also, I answered your question this late just to brag about my cat again
never too late to brag about cats

too bad i'll never have one since all my mom's family's afraid of them so they would never come visit. well now that i think about it...

Have you played though Secret of Mana & Terranigma? Those are the most highly recommended by myself.
terranigma yea, a long time ago. i still remember the crazy box menu thingie and the acid trip that was that game's overworld map. like holy fuck that shit could melt your brains if you played it long enough. really liked this game back in the day, couldn't finish it but i have fond memories of it.

secret of mana i dunno, i played it only a bit and i don't know what it was about it but i didn't stick with it for long.

i think my shortlist of jrpgs right now after going through the xenosaga and front mission series is: persona 4, vagrant story, shadow hearts 1&2 and that's about it. i kinda also want to try out pandora's tower and when it's released drakengard 3 ofc, since it seems like it'll be as crazy as drakengard 1.

wait, i don't think a backlog includes all them humble bundled games you didn't want or the stupid mistakes from sales and all that

like you drew bad rats in an evil modbot giveaway and it's not like it's suddenly in your backlog

Yeah that's what I meant, it's just that some games in a bundle you're on the fence and you wonder if you should play it because you payed money for it.

For instance I bought a bundle with all the GTA games and now there's a bit of a conflict in my mind whether or not I should GTA III or Vice City (played them when they came out). It's nostalgia.

Other games it's just "it can't be that bad". Like Agricultural Simulator 2013...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
20+ games here.

Around 2360. I excluded dupe entries (so for example, I factored in Hegemony Gold but not Philip of Macedon), however did include games that I've finished but still had untouched content-expanding DLC (e.g. Kingdoms of Amalur) as well as those I've finished in the past outside of Steam but intend to play on Steam (e.g. Alice), and finally I shaved off 100 from the top to account for F2P games, MP-only titles, software, and the odd game/DLC/tool or two I may have missed. I wouldn't really call it a "backlog", though, since I intend to play a mere fraction of what I actually have.

Miguel81

too bad i'll never have one since all my mom's family's afraid of them so they would never come visit. well now that i think about it...

terranigma yea, a long time ago. i still remember the crazy box menu thingie and the acid trip that was that game's overworld map. like holy fuck that shit could melt your brains if you played it long enough. really liked this game back in the day, couldn't finish it but i have fond memories of it.

secret of mana i dunno, i played it only a bit and i don't know what it was about it but i didn't stick with it for long.

i think my shortlist of jrpgs right now after going through the xenosaga and front mission series is: persona 4, vagrant story, shadow hearts 1&2 and that's about it. i kinda also want to try out pandora's tower and when it's released drakengard 3 ofc, since it seems like it'll be as crazy as drakengard 1.

The endings were what stuck with me with T & S. I love the melancholy stuff. Vagrant Story was superb, and Xenosaga I & II were pretty good IMO(never played through III). I want to play Pandora's Tower as well, and Shadow Hearts Covenant. Not to mention Xenoblade(hope it isn't overrated). If these games were on Steam, we wouldn't be off topic. Fuck!

zkylon

zkylewd
Secret of Mana
Promoting my website >.<

I highly recommend it, a great game

you were waiting all these years for the time to come to post this link were you

Yeah that's what I meant, it's just that some games in a bundle you're on the fence and you wonder if you should play it because you payed money for it.

For instance I bought a bundle with all the GTA games and now there's a bit of a conflict in my mind whether or not I should GTA III or Vice City (played them when they came out). It's nostalgia.

Other games it's just "it can't be that bad". Like Agricultural Simulator 2013...

yea i could probably think of a lot more than the 3 or 4 i listed but you know, those are the ones in my mind right

maybe those and persona 4

i really want to play persona 4

The endings were what stuck with me with T & S. I love the melancholy stuff. Vagrant Story was superb, and Xenosaga I & II were pretty good IMO(never played through III). I want to play Pandora's Tower as well, and Shadow Hearts Covenant. Not to mention Xenoblade(hope it isn't overrated). If these games were on Steam, we wouldn't be off topic. Fuck!
well i went through the xenosaga series very recently and then xenoblade and tldr i wasn't the biggest fan of xenoblade for many reasons (mostly i guess is me having certain expectations from a xeno<game>) but i fell in love with xenosaga.

you gotta play xenosaga 3 man, it wraps everything up beautifully

Copons

That is totally the best thing about it.
Like, today my mom will come here for the first time since 2 years ago (and she lives like 5 Km away).
Now that I think of it, it's a problem too, because my cat and the couches my parents gifted me were never in the best terms, so I guess I'll need to find something to cover them asap. :D

wazoo

Isn't dtp in bankruptcy or something? This is probably more of an indication that Viva media will bring their back catalog onto Steam than anything else. They've published a lot of dtp in North America and digitally though.

You can bet on

So Blonde, Lost Chronicles of Zerzura, Black Mirror 3, Haunted to come one by one.

20+ games here.

If only!

Rough math ahead: Around 48 "finished" games, 3 games declared crap and 13 in a junk/superceeded category. Only leaves 742 or so in the backlog. Should knock those off in a couple weeks.

Arthea

If only!

Rough math ahead: Around 48 "finished" games, 3 games declared crap and 13 in a junk/superceeded category. Only leaves 742 or so in the backlog. Should knock those off in a couple weeks.
colour me impressed
lol

I can't check how many finished games I have on steam at the moment, but it's probably similar to yours, my junk category, which is called NOPE btw, is way more wast then yours, I mean heaps more.

bkw

There are QTEs in it and moments where you have to quickly interact with something. But shouldn't be a huge issue I guess. How did other games perform with this setup?
Oh, there are QTEs? Hmm.... I'm not sure how well it performs since I just set it up. Maybe I'll give Spelunky or something a try before giving TWD a go. Thanks!

aku:jiki

My backlog is already huge, like 100+, even after just a few months on Steam. I truly love trying out new games so I want to test out every game I get, and with all these bundles they tend to pile up, but then I also want to at least beat but preferrably fully complete every game I end up liking. Like last night I should've been trying out all those new bundle games but I ended up beating bonus levels in Mutant Mudds. I do love the surprise and excitement of finding a new game to love, though, almost as much or maybe even more than I love playing something I already know.

My most recent example is probably Creeper World III. It was in a bundle and I thought it looked whatever but I forced myself to give it a shot and it's variant on tower defense, where you need to focus on power supply and building spiderweb networks to connect all your power and towers, is actually pretty cool. Could've been less fugly though.

zkylon

zkylewd
That is totally the best thing about it.
Like, today my mom will come here for the first time since 2 years ago (and she lives like 5 Km away).
Now that I think of it, it's a problem too, because my cat and the couches my parents gifted me were never in the best terms, so I guess I'll need to find something to cover them asap. :D
lol i didn't know mom repellent cats was such a common thing

Acccent

Just wanted to say, regarding Far Cry 2 – I'm not gonna declare it good or bad, because it's so subjective with that game, but one thing is for certain: it definitely helped Clint Hocking become as famous as he is now more than the previous games he worked on. (Stallion Free was claiming that it was a stain on his career in a previous steam thread.) FC2 is, if nothing else, a very intellectual game, and the fact that Hocking turned the dudebro-fest with flashy colours that was the original Far Cry into this political, philosophical shooter (regardless of its gamey faults) won him quite a lot of respect (not like he had none before though, obviously.)

i liked to pile up corpses and see how many i could stick in a garbage bin and imagine them having secret parties in there
I love, in AC4, hiding in the tiny closets and baiting tens of guards and hiding all of their corpses in there
it's like all of the closets lead to narnia or something

oh and out of the 173 games I have on steam, i haven't played 108 lol (according to this)

edit: i also have a mom-repellent cat btw – she's allergic, but it turns out my cat is a special breed that doesn't make allergic people sneeze so much or w/e so now the cat is staying at my parent's because I... don't have a flat where he can stay anymore :(
since then there's been an ongoing conflict between my mom, the cat, and the house's dog (a tiny one, not a labrador or something).

zkylon

zkylewd
Just wanted to say, regarding Far Cry 2 &#8211; I'm not gonna declare it good or bad, because it's so subjective with that game, but one thing is for certain: it definitely helped Clint Hocking become as famous as he is now more than the previous games he worked on. (Stallion Free was claiming that it was a stain on his career in a previous steam thread.) FC2 is, if nothing else, a very intellectual game, and the fact that Hocking turned the dudebro-fest with flashy colours that was the original Far Cry into this political, philosophical shooter (regardless of its gamey faults) won him quite a lot of respect (not like he had none before though, obviously.)
not sure i'd call it philosophical but i don't want to screw up so i'll admit i didn't play all that much of it

also people talked WAY too fast in that game. like i'm self-taught in english and watch movies without subtitles and with funny accents and everything but this game was something else man.

on the philosophical (or at least political i'd say), i think it was more a thing of delivery than intent. the game was clearly trying to go there, but imo it just ended up being cartoony and like a fantasy american idea of how this shit must be. i mean it's just as valid as my fantasy argie idea of how diamond wars go about in africa and all, maybe with more guns, but you know, i didn't buy it.

i liked the game tho, i had some stalker in it and some great could've been's what with the fire mechanics and weapon jamming and wound healing and malaria (i know people hate this but i loved playing the game with a muddied up gross ak and have it jam at the worst possible times for dem OH SHIT moments), the african location is awesome and unique, etc...

i didn't make it too far because the gameworld is just super dead, almost no animals and just the same 4 dudes in a humvee to kill all over again get kind of tiresome.

I love, in AC4, hiding in the tiny closets and baiting tens of guards and hiding all of their corpses in there
it's like all of the closets lead to narnia or something
like do they instantly swallow their bodies up and when you open the closet again they're gone? that's hilarious lol

if that's in ac3 i already feel like playing it

oh and out of the 173 games I have on steam, i haven't played 108 lol (according to this)
ah thanks for reminding me of this

i'm 236/323, which makes it like a 70% or something.

not feeling too bad about that number

JaseC

like do they instantly swallow their bodies up and when you open the closet again they're gone? that's hilarious lol

if that's in ac3 i already feel like playing it

The same is true of haystacks and leave piles. As far as contextual stealth kills are concerned only killing from a bush/"stalking zone" actually retains the body.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Escape Goat 2 has that weird thing in some puzzle games where you're not sure if you broke the game or made things way too hard on yourself to complete a puzzle. There were times where I spent 15 minutes on one room and just barely managed to eek by and then the next room is not even a challenge. I had the same issue in The Swapper and I'm not sure where the problem is, if there is even one.

Also are you supposed to see the golden keys in levels to unlock the secret levels? I could see them for the alternate paths to get all the Sheep and perhaps I'm blind, but I can't see them for the secret levels. I've resorted to a guide just so I know what level to look for them in but I'd like to do it completely myself if it didn't involve too much guess work across four levels.
The one I got was completely by chance. I entered a little room in one of the levels and a golden key appeared out of thin air, revealing a hidden door in another part of the level.

I don't know how the hell you're supposed to find that out by yourself, if not by sheer luck. From what I've seen, there's nothing to indicate where the key could be, if it's even there.

Milamber

These backlog comments are making me afraid of what the future holds for me...

KQecIE5.jpg

Weird . . . Scourge: Outbreak is already activated in my account, but I can not remember I bought this game.

Was this game in a bundle, or did I get it for free for owning the original half life on CD or something.

JaseC

Weird . . . Scourge: Outbreak is already activated in my account, but I can not remember I bought this game.

Was this game in a bundle, or did I get it for free for owning the original half life on CD or something.

It was given to owners of The Scourge Project, which was pulled from Steam last April at, oddly, the developer's request. I missed the boat on Project but earlier managed to find a Russian retail key for a little over $5, which netted me both games.

kiyomi

Still really enjoying Neo Scavenger which you can get with the weekly Humble Bundle for the pricely sum of $1. Highly recommend people check it out if they haven't already.

It was given to owners of The Scourge Project, which was pulled from Steam some time ago. I missed the boat on Project but earlier managed to find a Russian retail key for a little over $5, which netted me both games.
Aaaahh that makes sense, was almost losing my mind. I generally know when and where I bought a game, but with 850+ games it keeps getting harder. That is why I log all acquisitions in my trusty excel sheet.

So: +1 to add in excel

sprinkles

I finished Castlevania - Mirror of Fate last night. I am still suprised how much I enjoyed it given the bad press it got after its 3DS release. It is no traditional 2D Castlevania, that's for sure, but it really succeeds in porting the bigger Lords of Shadow gameplay into a 2D plane. The platforming works even better than in 3D, the combat is rare enough to not feel like a chore. And I loved the art style of the cutscenes.

Now I am really looking forward to play Lords of Shadow 2.

zkylon

zkylewd
The same is true of haystacks and leave piles. As far as contextual stealth kills are concerned only killing from a bush/"stalking zone" actually retains the body.
i bet bench kills also retain the body or it'd be pretty weird lol

the body thing limitation is really weird in ue3 games tho. like it may be some engine thing or something, because it happens on bioshock infinite too and it's super fast.

what's sad is that they bothered to make splicers actually react to dead bodies, which is great, so it's super dumb that bodies disappear if you look away for like 5 seconds

i think dishonored only kills bodies if they're in dumpsters or roofs or weird places like that but i can't be sure. i mean i feel like it's quite the oversight to have that in a game in which moving bodies is so important. like having your rats eat bodies is kind of less useful since you know, memory limitations!

also it messes up my ability of showering dead bodies onto unsuspecting patrolling guards. man it's so much fun to mess up with guards in that game lol

oipic

Still really enjoying Neo Scavenger which you can get with the weekly Humble Bundle for the pricely sum of $1. Highly recommend people check it out if they haven't already.

Thanks for the reminder, Mono - have been meaning to pick this up for, well, almost a week now (where does the time go?), and might have forgotten if not for your timely post. Cheers!

Looking forward to giving NEO Scavenger a go soon - Toma's enthusiastic recommendations are hard to ignore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom