• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
As other have already said for getting a bugged achievement for example, did it in Chaos Engine. And I just don't like the whole 'don't be bad and everything will be alright' thing, there are too many cases where something unpredictable can happen without anyones fault. I get that they can't say what Playfire does exactly to detect abuse but what for example if I start a game, don't touch the controls, quit it after 10 minutes and Playfire thinks I used SAM to idle to get a 'first played' reward?

Due to the inability to differentiate between those two scenarios I don't see how they would use that as grounds for reporting you. This is strictly regarding achievements which is obvious abuse.

Valve's supposed favoritism for certain workshop artists.

But from what I gather from reddit this once again boils down to Valve's lack of communication :lol

Link?

Its true though. They let in some horrid stuff from the top workshoppers.

Its like half a dozen 10/10 sets gets you a free pass to slip in one total stinker.

Turfster

Kalypso sale at Bundlestars
  • Airline Tycoon 2 80% off
  • Airline Tycoon 2 Gold 75% off
  • Anna - Extended Edition 75% off
  • Bang Bang Racing 75% off
  • Blood Knights 75% off
  • Ceville 80% off
  • Crash Time 3 75% off
  • DARK 66% off
  • IncestDemonicon 66% off
  • Disciples III - Renaissance Steam Special Edition 66% off
  • Dungeons - The Dark Lord 85% off
  • Dungeons Gold 80% off
  • Grand Ages: Rome 80% off
  • Grand Ages: Rome - Reign of Augustus 75% off
  • Grand Ages: Rome Gold 75% off
  • Imperium Romanum 75% off
  • M.U.D. TV 85% off
  • Omerta - City of Gangsters 80% off
  • Omerta - City of Gangsters - Gold Edition 75% off
  • Patrician III 50% off
  • Patrician IV - Steam Special Edition 75% off
  • Patrician IV Gold 75% off
  • Port Royale 3 75% off
  • Port Royale 3 Gold 75% off
  • Racing Manager 2014 75% off
  • Rise of Venice 66% off
  • SlamIt Pinball Big Score 75% off
  • The First Templar - Steam Special Edition 75% off
  • Tropico 4: Steam Special Edition 80% off
  • Tropico 4: Collector's Bundle 80% off
  • Tropico Trilogy 75% off
  • Who's That Flying?! 85% off
  • Ziro 75% off

Aerocrane

Damn yo that's impressive. There are some really difficult ones in there that I just gave up on like the "Gone in 60 Seconds" one. Plus I was playing a friends copy so we couldn't cheese the multiplayer stuff together.

I had more trouble getting the drifting achievements. The key to driving fast was knowing how much to drift in order to go fast around corners without spinning out or losing too much speed. Drifting when done correctly is always faster than proper racing lines. The problem with drifting is that I played with a keyboard so controlling the throttle and turning angle to maintain a long drift was hard.

MUnited83

For you.
Gamestop also has The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena and i'm pretty sure it has a steam key. At least, it used to. Do be aware that the steam version has horrible DRM so GOG.com is the way to go.

derExperte

Due to the inability to differentiate between those two scenarios I don't see how they would use that as grounds for reporting you. This is strictly regarding achievements which is obvious abuse.

Even with cheevos I can see scenarios where it may look like I used SAM. For example, as I played the game yesterday, there's an 'unachievable' achievement in Stanley Parable which apparently pops up randomly and can happen just by starting the game or while doing nothing.

On the other hand I don't think Valve will actually ban/restrict an account just based on Playfire reporting it, if they'd care about achievement abuse there would've happened something already in that regard.

Turfster

I don't have Jagged Alliance, Tank Operations or Dungeons. So I think I *might* pass on this one, although its a really great bundle for $4 bucks

Edit: Oh, you are referring to the sale, not the bundle :)

Yeah, I figured someone had already listed the bundle, since it's been running a lot longer, relatively speaking.

radMonkey

I don't want to focus too much on SAM, whether there's legitimate uses or not - I don't think it's my place to come to Gaf and do that. Really all you should take from that KB is if you're using it to exploit rewards or the Playfire leaderboards, that's a huge no-no and I don't think I need to explain why. We've seen people use it to gain GMG Credit and they get banned.

My recommendation (and clearly I'm biased) is to avoid it.

What if we already earned most of the achievements? Will we still get the rewards?

For Goat Sim? We've backdated them to around 3 days prior to release as people who ordered directly from Coffee Stain got it a bit earlier. Same goes for the fixed achievements I added today, I've backdated those.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
During the entirety of the last thread I had hoped that someone would reference Riddick's DRM so I could make the earth shatteringly funny joke "Don't believe the TAGES!"

Now I'm here sitting like a fucking jackass.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any way to change the language in Type:Rider? It uses my system language (German) but I want to play it in English.
Fuck, I hate when games do this. How hard is it to code a couple of If statements and add a language selection option in the settings menu? I mean, they obviously have the translations done, so it's a matter of making it dependent on user's choice rather than system's regional settings.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Looks like Lego The Hobbit finally got a store page. Not sure if I'll bite now or wait for the price to drop. Seems like lately these Lego games have been dropping pretty quickly.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Fuck, I hate when games do this. How hard is it to code a couple of If statements and add a language selection option in the settings menu? I mean, they obviously have the translations done, so it's a matter of making it dependent on user's choice rather than system's regional settings.

It sounds like something Squeenix would do. "HD language options are hard."

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You can finish it in about 2-3 hours, and the puzzles and platforming do get a bit harder in later levels.

I guess I enjoyed it, because it's so novel, and I liked the atmosphere. It's got some small bits of NightSky, Thomas Was Alone, and LIMBO stylings as well.
I loved each of the games you mentioned, so my interest in Type:Rider has increased a lot. (I already wanted to try it, but now I'll probably make it priority).

Copons

YOLOOOOOOO FTL FTL FLT TLFLFTLTLLTLDFLT

Best update ever for sure. Even tho it apparently unlocked a ship I didn't know I had unlocked (no, not the DLC one), which is dick-shaped. I appreciate it nonetheless. Maybe even more.

JaseC

Looks like Lego The Hobbit finally got a store page. Not sure if I'll bite now or wait for the price to drop. Seems like lately these Lego games have been dropping pretty quickly.

Can you use the Steam web API to crawl profiles and return those that own a specific app? I'm curious as to how many people bought Strategy First's version of Infected during its ~10 minute window of availability. It wasn't even added to the Steam Master and Press Master subs.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Can you use the Steam web API to crawl profiles and return those that own a specific app? I'm curious as to how many people bought Strategy First's version of Infected during its ~10 minute window of availability. It wasn't even added to the Steam Master and Press Master subs.

The only way to do this would be if you pulled each user's details, user by user.

I suppose it could be done, but it would take a hell of a lot of time.

Finished Zeno Clash yesterday.

Who would've thought that it would've ended with a kidnapping twist? Not me, I didn't think Zeno Clash was going to tackle such a sensitive issue given that I spent half the game punching people and shooting crabs.

gabbo

Finished Zeno Clash yesterday.

Who would've thought that it would've ended with a kidnapping twist? Not me, I didn't think Zeno Clash was going to tackle such a sensitive issue given that I spent half the game punching people and shooting crabs.

Zeno Clash doesn't fuck around.

JaseC

The only way to do this would be if you pulled each user's details, user by user.

I suppose it could be done, but it would take a hell of a lot of time.

Haha, fair enough. Gabe would probably be dead by the time you got a final result. :p

They pissed off Reddit*

Slide on over to the Dota Community thread. It's not just /r folks that are bummed about it.

I've fallen out of my Dota trance, but I've been recently looking for a game to really get me sucked back into, something that can fuel hours of research or theorycrafting, and I may jump back in. I'm a few patches behind, so there's a lot of catching up to do.

Alternatively, I could just wait for Dark Souls 2 to drop.

Alternate to the alternate, does anyone have a recommendation for a game that could fit the bill for at least 3 weeks before sun praising intensifies?

Grief.exe

We've been speculating, but now we have total confirmation that Ms. Splosion Man is removing GFWL.

They just added a depot titled 'gfwl' to the app a few minutes ago. Hopefully they are getting close.

fZwW0aw.png

They also have Steam Achievements

Cross posting from the end of last thread

Ms. Splosion Man Steam Achievements. It's happening.

• "name": "Achievement 1"
    "name": "Achievement 2"
    "name": "Achievement 3"
    "name": "Achievement 4"
    "name": "Achievement 5"
    "name": "Achievement 6"
    "name": "Achievement 7"
    "name": "Achievement 8"
    "name": "Achievement 9"
    "name": "Achievement 10"
    "name": "Achievement 11"
    "name": "Achievement 12