• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

Finished Zeno Clash yesterday.

Who would've thought that it would've ended with a kidnapping twist? Not me, I didn't think Zeno Clash was going to tackle such a sensitive issue given that I spent half the game punching people and shooting crabs.

Spoiler tags, people, spoiler tags - they exist for a reason.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
We've been speculating, but now we have total confirmation that Ms. Splosion Man is removing GFWL.

They just added a depot titled 'gfwl' to the app a few minutes ago. Hopefully they are getting close.

fZwW0aw.png

They also have Steam Achievements

Where do you get the achievement data from? Unless I'm missing something SteamDB doesn't offer it, and the site that leaked achievements last year for a bunch of games is no longer up.

Grief.exe

I just installed the GOG version the other day and noticed the more you turn your AA up, the more mouse lag you get. Ended up uninstalling it rather than playing with low AA.

You can actually easily force AA through GPU drivers on both Nvidia and AMD hardware. There are other options as well such as downsampling or DX injectors such as SweetFX.

Bottom line, you should never have to worry about that issue.

Especially when you are talking about one of the best games of all time in Butcher Bay.

Myshkin

This is what happens when you don't give away kittens promptly after they're born:

I'm running out of hats.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Myshkin:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 17 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Myshkin, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

ARMA II -- MB-B93BDD5D98874113 - Taken by natertots. 15 entrants total.
Dead Sky -- MB-BBD052E80CB65055 - Taken by Sammichu. 7 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Raiden Legacy The Return (Desura) -- MB-49735A66C8E70A03 - Taken by Henry Swanson. 3 entrants total.
Cubetractor -- MB-1B114AD80132E4EC - Taken by Ezalc. 14 entrants total.
Insane 2 (racing) -- MB-57D41788F9B8B2A9 - Taken by drakaenae. 11 entrants total.
Avencast: Rise of the Mage -- MB-7F9346045F3E5D9A - Taken by MikeRahl. 4 entrants total.
Sid Meier's Ace Patrol Pacific Skies -- MB-1BAB57086D80B9A1 - Taken by X05. 6 entrants total.
Stealth Bastard Deluxe -- MB-88705C529781037B - Taken by Majukun. 8 entrants total.
Europa Universalis III Complete -- MB-2337C4CFBA1E4308 - Taken by MikeRahl. 14 entrants total.
Beatbuddy -- MB-CF5F48306BCE7C88 - Taken by kudoboi. 1 entrants total.
Tropico 4 Steam Special Edition -- MB-E1FC506BD2A3C4C2 - Taken by ChimpanzeeThat. 19 entrants total.
Viscera Cleanup Detail: Santa's Rampage -- MB-CA77A138F32FEA77 - Taken by Natty1. 5 entrants total.
Monday Night Combat -- MB-BA8D5920086C0312 - Taken by Abomination. 4 entrants total.
Really Big Sky -- MB-438CCDEA5A52FCB5 - Taken by Tellaerin. 10 entrants total.
Razor2: Hidden Skies -- MB-3E64E2D666139B3F - Taken by crazyrabbits. 5 entrants total.
Sniper: Ghost Warrior Gold Edition -- MB-EEBA7794DB0A4904 - Taken by zeroOman. 18 entrants total.
Two Brothers -- MB-7E78BCA23774F5DE - Taken by interion. 9 entrants total.

t1396551559z1.png

I decided to format my computer last night, not realising that i can't use the Marketplace for a week.

God damn it. I'm on the verge of level 20 too!

You can actually easily force AA through GPU drivers on both Nvidia and AMD hardware. There are other options as well such as downsampling or DX injectors such as SweetFX.

Bottom line, you should never have to worry about that issue.

Especially when you are talking about one of the best games of all time in Butcher Bay.

I actually tried forcing AA through nvidia inspector but couldn't find a compatibility code that worked. Guess I should look into this downsampling business.

Levyne

Banned
I need to learn inspector some day. Using nvidia control panel is easy. Sweetfx is pretty easy. Inspector must just be above me.

Downsampling in the control panel is pretty intuitive as well. There's a thread here too

Grief.exe

I actually tried forcing AA through nvidia inspector but couldn't find a compatibility code that worked. Guess I should look into this downsampling business.

You don't actually have to set compatibility codes for AA. If you notice from the drop down menu there are only a few games available, its probably only for when certain games aren't compatible out of the box.

Risen 2 has like 15 broken achievements. I love the game and I would love to 100% it, but I'm not going to use SAM just to fix those errors. Shit is broken or poorly designed. That is life.

You'll be happy to hear that the broken achievements were removed last month. Would be better if they were made to work but I'll take this solution.

Grief.exe

nampad

So it seems like Modbot didn't update my raffle post but I got a receipt.

Modbot 2 said:
HalfwayOrb claimed your <10 game from Steam, Humble or GMG key. There were 75 entrants.

Thanks again for being generous.

Congratulations HalfwayOrb, message me the game you want.

Nabs

El Matador is hitting my wishlist.

Experience the adrenaline-fuelled danger and heart-pounding excitement in the war on organised drug syndicates. When standard procedures fail, the hardliners are brought in.

Become El Matador, a DEA special agent tasked with taking down the drug barons. A new narcotics cartel is rising across Central and South America, sharpening its claws and extending its reach. Locate the encampments, infiltrate the headquarters, and put an end to the cartel's influence. In a tale of corruption, revenge and morality, the mission brief is simple: Eliminate the threat - Ultimate justice, El Matador style.

derExperte

El Matador? Blast from the past, one of those games you forgot exist the day after finishing them but now thinking about it I might have had some fun with that.

Nabs

I just noticed that Game Factory Interactive publishes on Steam (Cannon Fodder 3, Insane 2). We need to get them to release Xenus II and The Precursors.

Nabs

I've noticed a lot of 4-pack bumps in the registry over the last day. It could mean nothing

or it could mean saleeee.

probably not

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So it seems like Modbot didn't update my raffle post but I got a receipt.

Sorry about that; 24 hour hour raffles are tricky. Modbot does his best to find the original post but sometimes isn't able to (this is not a problem shorter raffles or normal giveaways have). I can manually point Modbot to a 24 hour raffle to help prevent that problem from occurring, but I was traveling all yesterday so I didn't catch yours.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
...And good games are getting knocked off the new releases page.

If Valve is going to continually allow this garbage to flood their service then they need to allow for better sorting options now.

Filtering these out is available in Enhanced Steam for Chrome at the moment. The feature is still a bit of a "work in progress" as I'm trying to convince Valve to put the game's "actual" release date into the API to speed the process up.

Additionally, I asked them if they had seen the TotalBiscuit video from a few weeks ago (which asked Valve to add this type of filtering). Blank stares all around, nobody had seen it or heard anything about it.

still hoping for that Enhanced Steam Safari (on OSX)

A fellow GAFer and I have have been working on a Safari version. However, Safari extensions don't support "Cross Domain Scripting" which makes adding or porting features from the other versions very difficult.

When Greenlight was first released, I was very eager to browse through the submissions and find games I was interested in. As time wore on, as the average submission's quality began to flatline I grew tired of perusing Greenlight; eventually, I stopped visiting it altogether.

Now I face a similar problem: the Steam store is becoming akin to Greenlight. The mass of dreadful submissions released every day weakens my desire to visit the store and browse through the games. I used to be eager to see what was on sale, what had been updated, and what was going to be released but now I find myself less and less interested in visiting any Steam site at all. There's nothing good or interesting released and finding or browsing through games/DLC/etc has become a chore.

What I'm saying is, unless you change your ways I'm going to break up with you, Steam.

Grief.exe

Additionally, I asked them if they had seen the TotalBiscuit video from a few weeks ago (which asked Valve to add this type of filtering). Blank stares all around, nobody had seen it or heard anything about it.

I guess it is possible that they don't follow him on youtube, but that was a great piece of constructive criticism.

Jim Sterling echoed similar criticisms about a week later in one of his videos.

When Greenlight was first released, I was very eager to browse through the submissions and find games I was interested in. As time wore on, as the average submission's quality began to flatline I grew tired of perusing Greenlight; eventually, I stopped visiting it altogether.

Now I face a similar problem: the Steam store is becoming akin to Greenlight. The mass of dreadful submissions released every day weakens my desire to visit the store and browse through the games. I used to be eager to see what was on sale, what had been updated, and what was going to be released but now I find myself less and less interested in visiting any Steam site at all. There's nothing good or interesting released and finding or browsing through games/DLC/etc has become a chore.

What I'm saying is, unless you change your ways I'm going to break up with you, Steam.
Steam just needs to organize games better.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I guess it is possible that they don't follow him on youtube, but that was a great piece of constructive criticism.

Jim Sterling echoed similar criticisms about a week later in one of his videos.

I honestly think that's why Valve needs me. I love interacting with Steam users, finding out what issues they have with the platform, and doing my best to put fixes and UI changes in place to facilitate these pain points.

The fact that nobody currently working on Steam is doing this exposes a critical flaw in their way of doing things. Nobody knows your platform better than the people that are using it every day.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Uncurated store. Welcome to hell.

Nabs

$23.99 (-20%) / $71.99 for a 4-pack ($18 a piece). The 4-pack is about $20 cheaper in BR. I don't know if there are any restrictions.

Grief.exe

I honestly think that's why Valve needs me. I love interacting with Steam users, finding out what issues they have with the platform, and doing my best to put fixes and UI changes in place to facilitate these pain points.

The fact that nobody currently working on Steam is doing this exposes a critical flaw in their way of doing things. Nobody knows your platform better than the people that are using it every day.

God dammit Shackles, you just need to sit down in an interview.

'What do you bring to this company?'
'Everything you are currently weak at as a company are tasks that I not only enjoy, but excel at. From fixing the Steam client, the piece that users interact with at all times, and interfacing with the community to find out their issues with the company as a whole.'
'Ok...What are your salary requirements?'

Which Sterling video are you talking about? That description works for all of them.

iF6PqbgFWmW12.gif

This one: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/8974-Buyer-Beware

$23.99 (-20%) / $71.99 for a 4-pack.

Damn.

AOE II HD launched at $20 base price.

Whatever price it takes to get Halo Trilogy, Viva Pinata, and Gears on Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom