• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiru

Probably already posted but Skullgirls is 75% off at GamersGate.

DDB-SG4P.jpg

3.75 for the game - https://www.gamersgate.com/img/boximgs/122x177/DDB-SG4P.jpg

6.25 for the Two Pack - http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-SG2P/skullgirls-2-pack

11.25 for the 4 pack - http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SGCPB/skullgirls-and-color-palette-bundle

Highly Recommended it is the best fighting game on steam after all.

Got bodied hard during the free beta. People know how to combo the shit out of this.

Loving the recommendations in the OP, I'd have probably missed those games otherwise. I am hopeless at finding the good, new games.

Personally I now think it would be better if the OP impressions were added after a game comes out (as per the ios thread). For example Life Goes On in the OP isn't worth buying in my opinion, even though I was looking forward to it for quite a while.

It might make less work for Mr Orange or other posters too. If a game is getting talked about, there should be plenty of impressions to pull from sitting in the thread (avoiding the countdown and reminders/hassle).

Just a thought anyway.

Personally I now think it would be better if the OP impressions were added after a game comes out (as per the ios thread). For example Life Goes On in the OP isn't worth buying in my opinion, even though I was looking forward to it for quite a while.

It might make less work for Mr Orange or other posters too. If a game is getting talked about, there should be plenty of impressions to pull from sitting in the thread (avoiding the countdown and reminders/hassle).

Just a thought anyway.

Yeah. I would also see some reviews in the OP about games that are out.

But i think its also quite nice to read impressions/hypetexts about games that im not aware of.

Why not have both? With that we might even get some competent reviewer here that are not giving away 10/10 with texts like "Its okay". Toma for example does everything right and i really like to hear what he says about some really small known indie game.

Would like to have something similiar as the indie game thread every month here.

Cizard

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Desura key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

ulgzbKC.png
Super Panda Adventures Desura -- MB-E0F6AA9B8BF83331

t1398264228z1.png

:)

I think TAGES might be gone from Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery. I've installed a back up and redownloaded the the core game and Venice on a new machine and at no time did I get the prompts I did when I first ran it on another computer.

Checked the local TAGES and SolidShield folders and don't have any new entries so it's not tried to call out an activate behind my back. Going to try once more on another PC that hasn't seen Anno in any state and hopefully it's all good.

That's wonderful news. It may be time to reinstate this to my wishlist. Do you still have any Tages files in the game's main directory, e.g. TagesClient.exe or TagesClient.dat?

I'm on my phone so I can't really go digging but it may be that you have to contact the publisher. I recall Guru3D running afoul of Anno 2070's activation limit and Ubi initially refused to help.

Well funnily that was the first thing the Ubisoft support guy asked if I wanted to do. Didn't even bloody read my ticket. I suspect their support depart is run by robots (even if it is actually humans I'm still probably close).

I had a bit of a late night and I'm feeling a little fuzzy right now, but my recollection is that the older, pre-SolidShield type of protection used a system of regenerating activations. There was no de-authorisation (the company didn't believe in such things at the time), but you would "earn" a new activation after a month of good behaviour (i.e. not installing the game!). On the other hand, the newer SolidShield used for Anno 2070 did indeed have a de-authorisation process that was supposed to trigger when you uninstalled. (Hopefully I've remembered all that correctly).

In other news, I finally finished Tomb Raider with 35 hours on the clock. I can see why some people were disappointed by it - in particular, the hand-holding in the first couple of hours was almost unbearable - but by the end I was enjoying it to the point of finishing the story AND seeking out all the collectibles. I can even see myself replaying it sometime.

Backlog -1. Bring it on, Dark Souls 2!

Dr Dogg

Thanks again so much for taking the time to confirm all this.

That's wonderful news. It may be time to reinstate this to my wishlist. Do you still have any Tages files in the game's main directory, e.g. TagesClient.exe or TagesClient.dat?

No worries. Still going to check on a clean install and on a PC that hasn't seen TAGES let alone Anno to be certain. TAGES files do still exist but from the patch that was pushed yesterday TagesClient.dat was updated so could be a preactivated version. CD keys do still remain so that's why I'm checking, double checking and treble checking. Don't want to say "Hey everybody it's gone" only to find out it's something I've cocked up.

Ban Puncher

Turned Steam Guard off and on when everyone was changing their passwords a week or so back due to shenanigans only to find out I can't buy or sell on the Market for 15 days since resetting.

Bah.

epmode

I think TAGES might be gone from Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery. I've installed a back up and redownloaded the the core game and Venice on a new machine and at no time did I get the prompts I did when I first ran it on another computer.

Checked the local TAGES and SolidShield folders and don't have any new entries so it's not tried to call out an activate behind my back. Going to try once more on another PC that hasn't seen Anno in any state and hopefully it's all good.

Holy shit, really? I've been wanting to buy Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery since it showed up on Steam!

How about the more recent game? The futuristic one?

edit: Ah, you're not sure if the DRM is really gone. I really appreciate you looking in to the issue.

Nzyme32

If TAGES is truly done with, they should announce it and make it more clear. I would happily purchase Anno, just want to make sure it's not an "accidental" bug or something

Blech. If that's the case, then GO is ruined. Joining community servers to download megs of files that are only going to be used for 1-5 rounds on a server is really one of the downsides of PC gaming. I really wish more games would give me a "download just the map. Fuck sound/model files" options. :/
Source games actually have a console command for that, but unfortunately not one for filtering out models. That's not that big of a deal because those are far rarer than the obligatory "[adjective] KILL" wavs every server wanted you to download in the past. You can just use the quick-play options to automatically find you stock servers too. You only play with bots though so GO was never in any position to be ruined for you!

So, basically: Not playable solo, like I was saying... then?

Having to kite/get around what the game wants you to do (work together to kill enemies) to "solo" doesn't make it solo-able.
KF is very capable of solo play, it scales wave sizes and enemy health to player count and every enemy type is designed to be capable of being killed by a single player. You don't have to get around it, the game excels at co-op, but solo is very much an option.

nah, malkie is ideal for like a second playthrough

like it's best to get like a standard one with like brujah or gangrel and then move to malkie on a second playthrough, see all the weird shit you've missed on your first time

game's not that long anyways
People often recommend Malk as the replay option, and it makes sense because it makes most other clans really dull by comparison, but I think they're most ideal for the first playthrough. How better to play as an insane character than not fully knowing yourself what is going on?

Fair enough, just usually I think people mean graphics when they say something holds up, my bad.

For the record, I played both recently for the first time, and I thought Vampire was much better... I actually couldn't get into Deus Ex, while I loved Vampire :/
Vampire skews more heavily into character interactions, whereas Deus Ex has far more about mission design, character building (mechanically) and the sandbox. Vampire has a lot of the design elements of Deus Ex's maps and options, but never really brings it up to the same level and isn't what ends up being memorable about the game. Still, you can get a lot of replayability out of clans that have to play fundamentally different like Nosferatus and their sewer skulking.

aku:jiki

Bloodrayne Betrayal is one of the very few games that has utterly defeated me. Normally, when the going gets tough, I toughen up and persevere... Bloodrayne is so incredibly hostile to new players, though, that I just can't get into it and end up giving up after 1 level every time I try.

NIN90

Blech. If that's the case, then GO is ruined. Joining community servers to download megs of files that are only going to be used for 1-5 rounds on a server is really one of the downsides of PC gaming. I really wish more games would give me a "download just the map. Fuck sound/model files" options. :/

That was on a KZ map server. I can assure you that you won't come across any of these wacky maps if you just want to shoot dudes and plant bombs.
Also, there's a console command that disables sound downloads.

Aaron

Holy shit, really? I've been wanting to buy Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery since it showed up on Steam!

How about the more recent game? The futuristic one?

edit: Ah, you're not sure if the DRM is really gone. I really appreciate you looking in to the issue.
The games are essentially identical. So depends on which style you like better.

-MD-

Bloodrayne Betrayal is one of the very few games that has utterly defeated me. Normally, when the going gets tough, I toughen up and persevere... Bloodrayne is so incredibly hostile to new players, though, that I just can't get into it and end up giving up after 1 level every time I try.

This makes me want to play it.

That's how I felt about Volgarr the Viking. The only thing that kept me re-trying it was the hype and praise. I got to a point where I just didn't care enough.

Dr Dogg

Well on a clean install, on a machine that doesn't even have the TAGES driver installed, Anno 1404 and Venice both started up fine and never once prompted me to input my CD key into TAGES or SolidShield. And in a very bizarre twist of fate will start up without Steam running.

Files are still there (TagesClient.exe and TagesClient.dat) but I assume the .dat is needed by the main game .exe to boot and has been modified. As stated above it neither 1404 or Venice called out to activate and authorise like they did before.

Oh and if you want to thank anyone, thank Jase. He did all the hard work like keeping tabs on the database, tell us it was on its way back and let us know that it did. Plus let us all know it had received a patch. I'm just the chump who bought it to find out. Cheers Jase now we can all play Anno 1404 in peace of mind that we won't have to faff about with Ubi support in the future.

Deques

Well on a clean install, on a machine that doesn't even have the TAGES driver installed, Anno 1404 and Vincie both started up fine and never once prompted my to input my CD key into TAGES or SolidShield. And in a very bizarre twist of fate will start up without Steam running.

Files are still there (TagesClient.exe or TagesClient.dat) but I assume the .dat is needed by the main game .exe to boot and has been modified. As stated above it neither 1404 or Venice called out to activate and authorise like they did before.

Oh and if you want to thank anyone, thank Jase. He did all the hard work like keeping tabs on the database, tell us it was on its way back and let us know that it did. Plus let us all know it had received a patch. I'm just the chump who bought it to find out. Cheers Jase now we can all play Anno 1404 in peace of mind that we won't have to faff about with Ubi support in the future.

Great, now waiting for a sale :)

That's how I felt about Volgarr the Viking. The only thing that kept me re-trying it was the hype and praise. I got to a point where I just didn't care enough.
When you start getting to the point where you can breeze through levels in Volgarr, it feels so good. With the way power ups work your momentum is strongly attached to being untouched.

When I played Bloodrayne I just immediately got it off my PS3 the moment I finished it. Incredibly frustrating combat design.

aku:jiki

Oh hello. Went into my inventory to sell off some shit I don't want and I found that Shad'O gave me a background currently priced at over €4 and somehow the game gave me a booster pack without me even noticing the popup for it. And the pack had a foil in it.

The Shad'O rare BG is actually kind of cool, figured it'd be worth a few cents when I saw it:
fXViWd9.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom