• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a good excuse to play games you have been putting off or wouldn't normally play. In my case I only got a couple of rewards for Fez, but I wouldn't have tried it otherwise and I ended up loving my experience with the game.

It also has the reverse effect where now I buy games but I won't run them because I want the easy credit for playing a game for the first time.

Dolor

Seriously? Is $2 of store credit per game really worth the loss of free will?

I haven't started the playfire rewards, but I do the same thing for trading card revenue.

I assume that every game I buy is one I am at least casually interested in, so it's pretty easy to just accept that absent a strong desire to play something specific, when I choose to play a new game, I will play the one that pays me to play it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The Cat lady is a very good dark point and click game; the puzzles are not very challenging but the storytelling, the humour, the music, the art and the voice acting are top notch, it's well worth the price of the bundle.
I have to play this, it looks very interesting.

But... humor? I thought it was supposed to be about a woman on the brink of suicide. Or am I talking about a different game? (if so, then I'd love to know what's the game I'm talking about!)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Okay, I'll bite.

Believe me, we are angry about what happened. Valve obviously completely neglects their role as a curator and just pushes games on Steam nowadays. We had bad luck with our launch day and it lead to disastrous first-day sales.

Uh, Valve doesn't "push games on Steam". Publishers are given clearance and they can subsequently upload, well, whatever they want. That said, I do agree that Valve needs to make a distinction between games that are new to Steam and those that are new in the broadly-understood sense that they are new to the public at large. Most obviously I'd point to jshack's frustration that some publishers don't make a distinction between a game's original release date versus its Steam release date -- this is something that Valve could very easily fix.

Steam usually gives every game that launches a limited time in the Featured Games section. As fas as I know, we didn’t even receive that.

Patently false. As with the Featured Items "carousel", the "Featured Games" section is one of the few components of the front page that Valve handles manually. Let's look at the three games that occupy the top three slots:

Far Sky: 25th April
War of the Vikings: 15th April
Hakwen: March 7th

Currently Steam seems to only feature the games that sell well.

"Only"? No. But, yes, Valve does tend to prefer to advertise games that are more popular. For obvious reasons. It's why tabs such as "New Releases" exist. There's an argument to made, though, that Valve could do more to bring attention to new releases... but this leads into the earlier issue of release dates.

Personally I’d prefer a storefront that manages to give interesting games, that have not yet found a mass audience, a place in the spotlight as well. Not one that funnels all players to the games that are already successful.

Valve thought the same thing. It's what lead to Greenlight. "Steam should focus on interesting games" is a fanciful concept because the spectrum of personal taste is excessively broad, hence the move to autonomous self-publishing and user-curated storefonts.

Tizoc

Sigh Sony giving a discount on the 30 FPS ver. of Wolfenstein makes me wish the PC ver. had a discount too.
As is, and assuming GMG offer me a 30% discount code for Wolfenstein, factor in my GMG credit, I should be able to get it for under $30. Just need a little more credit for me to get it for $25 though if they ever offer me a 30% discount code.

EDIT: Let me know if I should edit my post =X

It's like Valve can never win this. It's either too few games get released or too much. They could definitely do a better job with the release dates and new releases tab, but otherwise people asked for faster release rate, so eat what you cooked.

Knurek

Sigh, I wonder what's the point of all those Debut bundles Indie Royale has been putting out, if they frigging take close to forever to add Steam keys to the games released?

What if Valve created a "Old games newly released on Steam" section?

I'm sure they will do so, just after they add Game renaming to the client.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
It's like Valve can never win this. It's either too few games get released or too much. They could definitely do a better job with the release dates and new releases tab, but otherwise people asked for faster release rate, so eat what you cooked.

Yeah. Anyone who's been here long enough can remember the time when people complained that it was too hard to get on Steam.

This is the consequence.

But it's certainly fun to read comments from developers who've finally gotten their's and now want the gates closed right behind them.

What if Valve created a "Old games newly released on Steam" section?

New to Steam

Copons

Well, it should NEVER be a problem of quantity of stuff released. I mean, that should ALWAYS be a good thing, never mind the quality.

The problem here is that the Steam store frontpage is completely sub-par for a huge task like that.
Just saying, it's still 940px width, like PC gamers are stuck with a '95 CRT monitor up to 1024x768.
That's so much wasted real estate, it's quite unbelievable.

Aaron D.

B-Tier Sims! Yea!!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Woodcutter Simulator 2013 -- MB-004F1C4AD8EF75D3 - Taken by nightstorm. 1 entrants total.
Trainz Simulator 12 -- MB-CE86DD5C31C3A127 - Taken by Man Puncher. 1 entrants total. - Taken by Man Puncher. 1 entrants total.
Bridge It (Plus) -- MB-7E82928849D5CFEE - Taken by topyy. 3 entrants total.

t1398700334z1.png

Pakkidis

I was under the impression that steam store was going to be self published in a few years. I was also under the impression the publishers control their own release dates and not Valve.

Good lord I feel like Dark Souls 2 is gonna end up my GOTY. The last time I was this thirsty for a game was Dark Souls 1. Co-oping with a friend is absolutely amazing. Even when you aren't summoned to each others worlds and you are just playing in roughly the same area figuring shit out together is amazing.

Yup. I kind of wish there was just a specially tuned, pure co-op campaign option in the game. I know it's against the single player philosophy of the series but playing with a friend is just amazing.

And I honestly don't understand why no one else has copied all the cool ideas these guys come up with for multiplayer. Ideas like bloodstains, phantoms, messages healing you, invasion, Blue sentinels are just brilliant.

New IndieGala Monday Bundle is up
https://www.indiegala.com/

Pay more than $1 for
Pay more than $3.89 for
Damnit I was hoping the 11th hour would unlock as a bonus game for the Last Dream bundle. Now it seems unlikely.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Well, it should NEVER be a problem of quantity of stuff released. I mean, that should ALWAYS be a good thing, never mind the quality.

The problem here is that the Steam store frontpage is completely sub-par for a huge task like that.
Just saying, it's still 940px width, like PC gamers are stuck with a '95 CRT monitor up to 1024x768.
That's so much wasted real estate, it's quite unbelievable.

Exactly. Not very many people are complaining that these games are actually on Steam, though a few are. Just like any storefront, you are free to chose the games you like and ignore the rest. I think everyone's complaint at this point is that the "New Releases" section of the home page isn't viable any more for informing people of actual new releases.

There are a lot of issues with the home page - including it's width. I mostly think the home page's main problem is it's lack of user customization. When you go to the home page for Amazon.com (for example) you see things that are relevant to your browsing and purchase history. You see actual recommendations for things Amazon.com thinks you may be interested in. When anyone visits Steam, it's always the same static content that's not tailored to your gaming interests in any way.

Hell, I think they could leave the "new releases" section as-is and people would complain less about it if Valve actually made a decent (reponsively designed) homepage that had actual user-centric content.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Thanks Benedict for Men of War Red Tide :D

On an unrelated note, we are already over 19500 posts. Clearly a thread per month was a good idea
how long until we switch to bi-weekly? :p

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

For the low low price of $1.99 (due to the current 50% discount), you too can experience the world of Redneck Racers, now available on Steam.

About the Game

Welcome to Pimperstown - a small village miles away from big cities and modern civilization. But it doesn't mean that people here don't have fun. To keep the citizens from turning to grumpy old men, the mayor organized big tractor races. And to make the races more entertaining he spreaded some of his so called regional products all over the tracks. Farmers from neighbouring villages and farms came on their shining machines to participate in the event. And you are one of them. Keep wining the races and soon your fame will reach other countries and you'll be able to buy new tractors to keep up with growing competition. And in the end, you'll end up entering world's best farmer competition in USA.

Features

• 40 races in 7 unique categories
  • funny and unpredictable bonuses along the way
  • tons of fun and humour
  • climatic soundtrack
  • 5 classic tractors

Wow, five whole classic tractors! What a bargain!

Jawmuncher

3.89 for the Indiegala Monday Bundle? No thanks I was getting far too used to the 1.89 for the first 24 hours. All i want is The Cat lady and it's bound to hit a minimum sooner or later for my cheap ass.

All I now is once user-created storefronts go live I'm making my own!

It's going to be...the Half-Life 3 storefront! Will only have one pic and an 'Add to cart' button.

JaseC

I thought Namco owned Dark Souls much like how sony owns Demons Souls.
Aside from that I think we'll see a patch still.

Yeah, Scamco owns the Dark Souls IP. Those saying that the recent buyout doesn't matter are in for a rude shock. From self-publishing the games in Japan is just a gesture, not a reflection of ownership.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
jshackels when you were at Valve were the any hints of a redesign? Surely with Steam Universe they're planning one.

Actually, quite the opposite. I asked them straight up if they were planning on or had anyone currently working on a redesign, and the answer was "no". I asked if they had heard of the people's complaints about the home page and/or seen the TotalBiscuit video about the new release section. Blank stares.
And a "who is TotalBiscuit?"

So unless they were just being SUPER tight lipped about it, I don't think a homepage redesign is being worked on or planned at this time.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

ulgzbKC.png
Desura Crystal Picnic (The Dark Souls of Duck Games) -- MB-025C0F0FDF09AAA2

wow

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RE: Secrets of Raetekon, I expressed this in a different thread, but honestly the problem is that there are too many games. Period. And this is true in a lot of genres on a lot of platforms. No one out there has enough time (or enough money in some cases) to play through everything excellent. So when you launch, say, Bodycount by Codemasters, you're also competing against some of the best FPSes ever, all of which are cheaper and have more awareness. If someone is in the mood for an FPS, and they haven't played Battlefield or whatever other game you might pick, they're going to choose those over Bodycount. The same is true here; there are probably 250-500 indie games with excellent reputations and word of mouth out there.

Secrets of Raetekon is a third game by a dev who previously made a Wii U exclusive that got pretty middling reception, and then a number of years ago a WiiWare/PC game that personally I didn't like. Admittedly, this game looks better to me. I've got it on my wishlist. But I'm not likely to spend $9.99 on a new release that mildly piques my interest when there are hundreds of games I own but haven't played, including some of the best games ever made, and hundreds more games at or below this pricepoint that also interest me. This is a real issue for puzzle games especially; you could make a really polished match-3 puzzle game, or even a new type of puzzle, but mostly you're competing against every other puzzler ever made and most people will satisfy their craving for puzzle games before they get to yours. Why do you think Popcap doesn't released 6+ games a year anymore? Because so many others are releasing games in that genre now, because distribution services make those kinds of games accessible.

Even if I limited my scope to new releases, there are dozens of new games coming out a week. A lot of them are bad, but it doesn't take a very high hit to miss ratio to have some pretty significant games coming out. Child of Light is about to come out, and I hazard a guess that's going to make a splash. Goat Simulator has been out for less than a month. Rust and DayZ are still sucking up a lot of oxygen. FTL just got a free expansion. The last Blackwell game came out. FRACT OST was just published by Indie Fund, that's a surefire sign based on their previous games that we're dealing with an interesting original product. It's not just about quality, it's just... it's not like people out there are starving for stuff to play, desperately saying "where is the PC game that I want to play?" and having not heard of SoR because of the deluge of shit on the front page. People are playing stuff. There's too much to play. And with games-as-a-service, often times people are playing as much time as ever, but concentrating it more on fewer games. That's a valid approach, but it also means games get left behind.

But this is not a problem that's going to be solved unless fewer games get released. So who is the person who is currently trying to make it as a professional game dev who is going to give up their dream and go back to database programming for some mid-level corporate outfit? I don't think there's going to be a rush of people nominating themselves to do this.

It's the double edged sword. Fewer restrictions on who can make games--and I'm not just talking Steam releases here, but just generally the rise of middleware, fewer contractual restrictions, the existence of digital distribution--means that more people will enter the market. The number of actors entering the market is rising at a rate faster than the amount of money entering the market or the amount of person-hours entering the market on the player side. This is going to result in a lower median number of sales and less visibility for the median game. Even if the total number of sales is growing, even if it's a bigger pie, it's still being cut into too many slices.

If you had a town with 500 people, and 100 of those people were hairdressers... even if they were all really talented hairdressers, the best case scenario is that some of them would go bankrupt and the worst case scenario is that all of them would go bankrupt. Because 500 people can't sustain 100 hairdressers. And I think we're running into some of the same problem here.

I'll probably pick up Secrets of Raetekon in a bundle. Or on sale for 75%+ off. I don't see how anyone could blame me for making that decision. Even if I specifically wanted to support this dev, I couldn't possibly specifically support every dev I want to. Someone's going to get left out. If that can't sustain this dev, I'm really really sad for him--just as I'd be sad for anyone who can't pursue their dream. And if I bought his game, I'd probably be skipping someone else's game, or if I increased my spending on games I'd have less to spend on other things, or if I increased my overall spending I'd have less saving and thus less spending later. And same goes with my time--spending time on his game means time not spent on another game, or more time spent on games but less on something else, or more time spent on everything and less time sleeping. In both money and time, it's not zero-sum, but it's not an infinite commodity either.

I think discoverability is very important. I think arranging space so that people can more easily express their preferences and better match their preferences to what's available is key. It would suck if someone wanted to play this game but couldn't find it. But at this point I feel like a lot of the discoverability problems are basically solved for even moderate-information consumers. Steam's got browse by category, it's got new releases and top sellers, it's got the tagging system, it's got stuff your friends bought, it has greenlight, it has the front page carousel, it has recently updated, it has browse by review, it has browse by price, it has sales and specials, it has featured blocks for featured sales, it has sales events, it has keys sold elsewhere, it has content sharing for in-built viral marketing. Are there really not enough ways on Steam to find some stuff you want to play if you bother to look? I doubt it.

And once you've solved discoverability problems, what you're left with is demand problems. Those can't really be solved.

JaseC

For the low low price of $1.99 (due to the current 50% discount), you too can experience the world of Redneck Racers, now available on Steam.

Wow, five whole classic tractors! What a bargain!

I saw this pop up earlier when I was on my phone and got excited because I misread the name as "Redneck Rampage", haha. "About bloody ti--oh."

Dr Dogg

Seeing as there's 2 days of April left and we're on 391 pages I wonder what will come first? The May thread or 400 pages? Not like GAF would explode if it went over of course but it's tantalisingly close to tea time.

Yeah, Scamco owns the Dark Souls IP. Those saying that the recent buyout doesn't matter are in for a rude shock. From self-publishing the games in Japan is just a gesture, not a reflection of ownership.

Yeah I think even on the .jp site for the original despite not being publisher by Namco in the region there, they are clearly visible in the site footer credits. So what next? Devil Souls? I'd love a less janky and slowed down return of Kings Field.

Saty

Actually, quite the opposite. I asked them straight up if they were planning on or had anyone currently working on a redesign, and the answer was "no". I asked if they had heard of the people's complaints about the home page and/or seen the TotalBiscuit video about the new release section. Blank stares.
:|

Tell me, if you had access to the Steam API, how many hours would it take you to add the following:

1. Infinite categories per title.
2. 'New on Steam' front page section.
3. Ability to see how your friends tagged a game you own.
4. Ability so if you have 2 different people in your Family Sharing group, and they both have a game you'd like to play, that you can choose who to lend it from. Currently, it's just random if that game is listed one friend's or the other's list.

So unless they were just being SUPER tight lipped about it, I don't think a homepage redesign is being worked on or planned at this time.

hoo boy....

jshackles

Tell me, if you had access to the Steam API, how many hours would it take you to add the following:

1. Infinite categories per title.
2. 'New on Steam' front page section.
3. Ability to see how your friends tagged a game you own.
4. Ability so if you have 2 different people in your Family Sharing group, and they both have a game you'd like to play, that you can choose who to lend it from. Currently, it's just random if that game is listed one friend's or the other's list.

It's hard to say, since I'm not entirely sure how their existing data is structured. I think in order of difficulty I would say 2 would be the easiest request, followed by 3, then 1, then 4. It would require both access to the Steam API as well as the client's source code - two things I'm likely not going to gain access to until I'm employed by Valve.

But these kinds of issues are (to my knowledge) only technically limitations which can easily be overcome with the time and attention of a competent developer. Meaning, I don't think there are any business reasons or contractual obligations preventing any of these things from happening, besides maybe number 4.

I have to play this, it looks very interesting.

It is indeed, you should try it.

But... humor? I thought it was supposed to be about a woman on the brink of suicide. Or am I talking about a different game? (if so, then I'd love to know what's the game I'm talking about!)

The story is pretty much dark and disturbing still there is a lot of humour in the dialogues, only thing maybe in order to catch some subtleties one has to be familiar with English/British culture.

MUnited83

For you.
jshackles, is there any chance of a enhanced steam update that makes steam profile backrounds properly scale to monitor resolution? I play on a laptop (1366x768) and its slightly annoying not being able to see most of my background.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
RE: Secrets of Raetekon...

I agree with pretty much everything you said. It's a shame that the dev's game didn't get noticed, but there are just so many products coming out in a single given day that it's becoming even more challenging to be noticed. While I do agree with their statement that Valve could do a better job in terms of acting as a curator, completely blaming Valve for their situation isn't the right thing to do. I feel like their situation only further reinforces the notion that opening the floodgates on Steam isn't a good idea.

Hopefully the article, and others like it, will raise attention to the dev's game, at least. Admittedly, I wouldn't buy it for $9.99 since I've heard middling impressions of the game from reviewers and users alike, but still, I hope for the best.

I saw this pop up earlier when I was on my phone and got excited because I misread the name as "Redneck Rampage", haha. "About bloody ti--oh."

The greatest disappointment.

does anyone know what the criteria is for the "Avg Game Completion Rate" on your steam profile? 100% achievement, finishing the game...?
This is a thread on Steam I found a while back that explains it a bit.

Also, those Child of Light reviews.

Saty

Thanks, jshackles.

I have to say that as a fan i've never been more displeased with Valve as i am in the last months. And things aren't looking up.

Exuro

But what about custom store fronts? How could they not be working on a redesign? :(

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

On one hand it sucks that they're not focusing on redesigning the homepage.

On the other hand it's confirmation that no one is paying attention to TotalBiscuit.

I think this is a net positive.

jshackles

jshackles, is there any chance of a enhanced steam update that makes steam profile backrounds properly scale to monitor resolution? I play on a laptop (1366x768) and its slightly annoying not being able to see most of my background.

Never thought about that, but it's definitely possible. It'd look like this.

But what about custom store fronts? How could they not be working on a redesign? :(

I think "custom storefronts" are much farther out than people realize. But then again, this is just an educated guess of mine based on my own personal understanding of what is going on at Valve and the people involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom