• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

Metal Slug 3 at 60fps? But the original is 30. Did they actually make it 60? And 1080p? Very impressive.

NeoGeo MVS was running at 59.18 Hz (actual game logic could be running at half that, sure, but nevertheless all games were 59fps).
Steam version is just dotEmu emulator (possibly MAME with custom patches), so really, only thing it's doing is up-resing original 320x224 display.

NeoGeo MVS was running at 59.18 Hz (actual game logic could be running at half that, sure, but nevertheless all games were 59fps).

Oh. OK. I have no idea what that means but it felt like 30.

I'd rather have had Metal Slug X anyway. Someone please tell me I can activate freeplay.

Copons

Hans Andersen's story, about validity of outsider's opinion.
Valve's hivemind from what jshackles has been telling just reeks of false-consensus effect

You know, I kinda agree with you, especially regarding their lack of customer care, a thing that directly lead to think they just don't listen to users opinions, suggestions and criticism.

At the same time, when they first announced Steam Machine, it was an impeccable announcement (well, not considering the Linux part, being too subjective). Every single word seemed perfectly tailored on their (or PC in general) user base. An upgradable console, etc. etc., mindblow.
Something like that, I can't believe it was just random. It needs a lot of marketing research, of people reading forums and talking with like devs, journalists, etc.

And the Linux part too, seems just so similar to Steam itself, pushing stuff toward an unexplored path. In the end they got it right the first time, so they at least should try a second - or this should be what a cutting edge IT business does.

But yeah, all in all, it seems every day a little more, that they're waaaaaaaay undermanned to take care of every task they're up to, so they just aren't factually able to listen to everyone and fix everything that need to be fixed.

aku:jiki

A Capcom bundle would be very welcome indeed; after last week's Humble, I need a couple of dud bundles I can skip to catch up and keep preventing my backlog from growing.

No offense, but this whole MS3 discussion is why non-technical people shouldn't be caring about framerates and resolutions and shit. MS3 at "1080p" lolwut.

Tizoc

A Metal Slug collection of 1, 2 X and 3 would've been perfect...

At any rate
14057981714_9af0424f0a_o.gif

No offense, but this whole MS3 discussion is why non-technical people shouldn't be caring about framerates and resolutions and shit. MS3 at "1080p" lolwut.

Well, yeah. That's why I asked. I had trouble with lag in-game, no issues with framerate or resolution, I just thought it was odd that it was apparently "1080/60" because... that seems very at odds with what I know of Metal Slug 3.

Man, really want to play DS2, but I'm gonna hold off until the summer sale or something.
To take my mind off it, I thought about booting up System Shock 2.
Now that's an old game and it surely have some mods I must use, anyone can give some suggestions or a link?

Knurek

I'd rather have had Metal Slug X anyway. Someone please tell me I can activate freeplay.

Given that currently only Dark Souls II and DayZ are better revenue-wise (unless that's all Man Puncher gift copies?), you can safely infer other NeoGeo games will come to Steam down the line (would kill for Baseball Stars 2, Last Blade, Twinkle Star Sprites and Neo Turf Masters).
Metal Slug 2 would be also lovely, provided dotEmu adds an option to enable CPU overclock. You can do so in MAME ATM and it removes all slowdown.

Now you've gone and made me fantasize about MS3 source port on UbiArt Framework. :(

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
The game is currently not on Steam, but since some people here liked my recommendations, I'll just throw my recommendation and Paywhatyouwant offer in here as well:

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=809833

My initial impressions:
I am enjoying this game immensely because of its level structure. I expected more of a simulation type game, but what it feels like is more of a very accessable turn based puzzle game with simulation game mechanics. Its hard to describe, because Cubesis is quite... unusual and wacky (in a good way). You are building buildings, growing crops and terraforming the land by sacrificing your villagers, which you are gaining via keeping your city healthy, supported with food, not flooded and not frozen over. The game mechanics are rather simple while also offering enough depth to be interesting, for example taking care of the temperature or sea level by appeasing gods to allow for walking on the ground of the sea or to water fields to allow for growing crops.
Cubesis is quite a bit less complex than "proper" simulation games, but the Cubesis developers knew how to play to their strength. Instead of a huge focus on randomized Free Play (where they cant possibly compete with something like Banished which is way more intricate, but is still being offered as an extra level), they have 24 levels (including the tutorial levels) that need to be conquered and I am incredibly enjoying terraforming the land to achieve the goals set in each level. Banished is very likely the objectively better game, but for the time being and until I solve all the levels, I am enjoying Cubesis quite a bit more. I checked it out yesterday and couldnt stop playing until 4 hours later.

And an amateurish YT video I made of the gameplay with some control explanations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBhqVvF-O6E

Knurek

The game is currently not on Steam, but since some people here liked my recommendations, I'll just throw my recommendation and Paywhatyouwant offer in here as well:

Please don't forget about us here. :) Your opinion usually equals instabuy for me. Can't wait for Toma's custom Steam storefront.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Thanks Toma, it looks pretty cool. I'll buy and check it out at some stage.

Please don't forget about us here. :) Your opinion usually equals instabuy for me. Can't wait for Toma's custom Steam storefront.

Bought because your recommendations are always great and I love the GBA-style graphics.

Thanks for the trust guys :) Same deal as always, would be great if you guys could post some impressions until the end of the deal for others to join.

Absolutely, it's easily recommendable. I really like how Freebird handled the Steam release: if you purchased the game from their website, they'd send you a free Steam key.

How cool is that?

This shouldn't be cool at all, this should be a standard all devs should adhere to (most do, incidentally).

Okay if that story isn't cool enough, maybe this one will be. I tried to buy To the Moon from the developer's website a couple of years ago, well before it was on Steam. His website had some problem with the Paypal option so I sent him an email asking him about it. He replied that he was having some issues with Paypal and in the same mail, he sent me a key for the full game. Just like that. And he asked me to pay him when it would be convenient. In other words, he gave away his game for free and just hoped that I'd pay him for it later (which I did of course). He then also gave me a Steam key when it showed up on Steam.

You're right that getting Steam keys for games you buy at other places is mostly a standard practice these days, but the dev for this game is a pretty cool guy as well.

Milamber

Happy birthday Milamber :) All best !
Oh right, happy birthday Milamber!
Happy birthday Milamber! May your next year be glorious!
Pictured: Milamber reading the saorise bundle
http://a.pomf.se/gkkjhp.jpg
Its Milamber's bday?

MhpFdIw.gif

Happy birthday Milamber :D
400 pages? We're walking into unknown territory here.

Happy birthday Milamber.
Thanks guys.

Goldeneye/FarCry 3 mod looks great.

I finished last weekend The Bureau, amazing game, very underrated in my opinion as I stated a few times before as I was playing it.

I think unfortunately the setting and being more strategic than shooter turned most people off. If the game was set in modern times maybe it would have been better received.

Any other games that have a mix of shooting and tactical squad management that are good?

TF2 "End of the Line" update is nearing release. The movie might be 17 mins long! Can't wait. Which brings me to, here's a Valve presentation about SFM from last year.

ChronoX

This is a post from the Steam forums for those who bought Stormrise from GameStop after the game was removed. Full thing here.

An update on this mess: I received the key as a gift and the person who bought it for me is in the process of having PayPal reverse the payments because all parties involved are just deflecting the burden of assistance to each other.

Sega: Refused to request from Valve a key to a sub containing the properly-configured app, 10650. Sega's official line on providing Steam keys is "If the game's not on the store then we can't do it", which is patently false for titles that were removed voluntarily as Stormrise was. Recommended contacting GameStop for a refund.
GameStop: Refused to provide a refund as there's no accounting for keys once an order has been fulfilled. Recommended contacting the publisher (Sega) or distributor (Valve).
Valve: Refused to add the properly-configured app to his account. Recommended contacting the publisher (Sega).

Knurek

Desura said they'll stop distribution Steam keys for Greenit titles, that does not apply to Indie Royale though right? Croixleur should still be coming?

My understanding is that they will not provide keys for games not directly bought on Desura/Indie Royale.

I see literally no sense in their Debut bundles otherwise.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
First person to correctly guess my favorite band wins a Speedrunners copy.
Let's do this via PM to not derail the thread and limit it to 3 bands per entry. You have 3 hours from this post.

Hints:
-They're still around
-They're not American

I may post more hints later.

Edit: If you happen to guess my 2nd favorite band along with the first one, you'll get another prize too

oipic

Happy Birthday, Milamber - hope you're having (or had) a great day, old chap.

<Cubesis> is currently not on Steam, but since some people here liked my recommendations, I'll just throw my recommendation and Paywhatyouwant offer in here as well:

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=809833

Thanks as always, Toma. Cubesis looks interesting, and your recommendations have always hit the mark - so I'll be picking this up, too. Cheers mate.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Happy birthday Milamber! Here's hoping you have a good day, and that Sexy Beach 3 gets added on Steam for your sake ^^

Tizoc

Let's do this via PM to not derail the thread and limit it to 3 bands per entry. You have 3 hours from this post.

Hints:
-They're still around
-They're not American

Edit: If you happen to guess my 2nd favorite band along with the first one, you'll get another prize too

Uh....Stratovarius?

Kiru

Hints:
-They're still around
-They're not American

In Flames

Parsnip

Man. Launched Second Sight for a brief moment and was immediately bummed out.
If only they'd HD remaster it. Even just add some better resolution support. Something, anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom