• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saty

What do guys think on the concept of a publisher-made Kickstarter to fund PC ports of already-released games? Because the more i think about it, i sort of like it.

1. This is only for publishers with little to no PC development or where the management has doubts if making a PC version is going to be worthwhile.

2. The other versions of the game are already released so you would know exactly what you get and have infinite amount of data to decide if you would like the game on PC.

3. Being a port for a game already on the market, funding targets shouldn't be enormous, probably 1M max.

4. The parameters of the project are easily defined and understood. For the original funding target, the port will have the following features : ...

5. Stretch goals are also as easily defined and understood: Reworked textures, 4K support, VR support and etc.

6. The 'surplus' from the raised money can go to investing in the company's PC dev-chain so future pc versions may need a reduced amount or money or funding it internally.

Would you have issues backing such a Kickstarter. Do you thing publishers should never ask money from people to fund anything? How would you react to a Sega KS asking 400k for Vanquish PC, for example?

Turfster

Would you have issues backing such a Kickstarter. Do you thing publishers should never ask money from people to fund anything? How would you react to a Sega KS asking 400k for Vanquish PC, for example?

Scamga.
Seriously, it does not fucking cost 400k to port a last gen game to PC.

hohoXD123

What do guys think on the concept of a publisher-made Kickstarter to fund PC ports of already-released games? Because the more i think about it, i sort of like it.

1. This is only for publishers with little to no PC development or where the management has doubts if making a PC version is going to be worthwhile.

2. The other versions of the game are already released so you would know exactly what you get and have infinite amount of data to decide if you would like the game on PC.

3. Being a port for a game already on the market, funding targets shouldn't be enormous, probably 1M max.

4. The parameters of the project are easily defined and understood. For the original funding target, the port will have the following features : ...

5. Stretch goals are also as easily defined and understood: Reworked textures, 4K support, VR support and etc.

6. The 'surplus' from the raised money can go to investing in the company's PC dev-chain so future pc versions may need a reduced amount or money or funding it internally.

Don't think it's a bad idea at all, and depending on the game I would be fully behind that.

Dambrosi

Banned
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara has a price mistake at glitchgate.
$1.88
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DDCM/du...les-of-mystara
Thanks for this. This and Man Puncher being amazeballs have made today my "arcade remembrance day".

Scamga.
Seriously, it does not fucking cost 400k to port a last gen game to PC.
No it doesn't, but they gotta make money off it somehow, especially since we'd all be waiting for the next Steam sale to buy it at 75% off. :p

Joking aside, that's the first KS I'd contribute to. Vanquish seriously needs more exposure and praise.

Caerith

What do guys think on the concept of a publisher-made Kickstarter to fund PC ports of already-released games?
Putting up the money and taking risks is the publisher's job, we shouldn't have to do it for them.

But I'd probably support something like, oh...

Dragons Crown would be perfect on Steam and I bet it would sell tons.
Any of Vanillaware's stuff would be perfect for Steam. Especially Odin Sphere, 'cause one of those boss battles was an express train to Slowdown Town.

So...you're giving us a goal. Okay.
Only if hitting 426 pages per month will get us summer sales on par with 2011's, with tickets and narratives and publisher packs etc.

Why is there an arbitrary limit at 400 then?

What morningbus said, but, also, it's arbitrary.

Any of Vanillaware's stuff would be perfect for Steam. Especially Odin Sphere, 'cause one of those boss battles was an express train to Slowdown Town.

Thankfully that has been fixed in the version that's on PSN now. Odin sphere was cool, but the game made you do the same thing 10 times over. Wasn't a big fan in the end.

Tizoc

Well Ubisoft just replied telling me I wouldn't get a Steam keyfor Child of Light. Guess I'm backing up my save file every chance I get XP.

Anyone got a GMG code in their e-mail that's 20% discount? Anyone try and check to see if it stacks with their current 20% discount code?

Deques

Must have any Vanillaware game in Steam!! I got Odin Sphere and GrimGrimoire, but I have never played them

Well Ubisoft just replied telling me I wouldn't get a Steam keyfor Child of Light. Guess I'm backing up my save file every chance I get XP.

Anyone got a GMG code in their e-mail that's 20% discount? Anyone try and check to see if it stacks with their current 20% discount code?

Discount codes don't stack

Dambrosi

Banned
It's now just under a month for Watch_Dogs and Amazon got no Steam version up.

EDIT: Crap, I DP'ed again.
Watch_Doge is only a month away?! It's a summer game? I thought it was October at the earliest. What do Ubi have in store for Winter 2014 then (besides yet more AssCreed)?

Check the CoL thread (not the review thread, the actually positive one), page 10:50ppp/5:100ppp.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Watch_Doge is only a month away?! It's a summer game? I thought it was October at the earliest. What do Ubi have in store for Winter 2014 then (besides yet more AssCreed)?

Even more AssCreed! There are two games this year (Unity and a PS360[/PC?] title).

Caerith

Thankfully that has been fixed in the version that's on PSN now. Odin sphere was cool, but the game made you do the same thing 10 times over. Wasn't a big fan in the end.
Yeah, fighting Odette for the fifth time was a bit tiresome, but at least each character played differently enough.

Must have any Vanillaware game in Steam!! I got Odin Sphere and GrimGrimoire, but I have never played them

Remedy that as soon as possible. GrimGrimoire is fantastic and has probably my favorite female protagonist in a video game.

zkylon

zkylewd
i'm actually saving the end of asscreed 3 to do a little experiment

see how easy it is to me to beat the game after playing like a month's worth of dark souls 2

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
What do guys think on the concept of a publisher-made Kickstarter to fund PC ports of already-released games?....

I would support it about as much as I support normal kickstarters: rarely, if at all. Probably even less, unless it was, say, Atlus. I'd support anything Atlus internally develops that I have access to. As for Vanquish getting a PC port, I highly doubt it would go to crowd funding. I'd actively avoid a Sega kickstarter that wasn't Atlus related. Sega is a fairly large company that doesn't need support to make a PC port via public funding. They just can't be bothered to do it in the first place.

With over 1000 games in my Steam library I find it hard to find time to play a PS2 game :(
Vanillaware's general output has been style over substance so that tends to make it even harder. I just can't penetrate Odin Sphere or Muramasa because once you ignore the art the games are hard to get through on their repetition.

Ubi is fast becoming a one-trick pony. Only their artsy stuff like Rayman and CoL is saving them from Abstergo poisoning.
They need to stop being one-trick ponies and go back to making games about one-trick ponies.

1cmanny1

So I just finished the DLC for Bioshock Infinite. I remember we had a thread that provided clarification on the story for the main game, did we have something similar for the DLC?

fantomena

So people, in a few weeks The Forst, Transistor and Invisible, Inc (if they reach their goal) are releasing.

Who buys what? Personally, I will probably buy Transistor will GMG credits and The Forest and Invisibile, Inc with Steam wallet funds.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What? Two AC games in the same year? I wonder how many studios are working on the franchise now.

Almost a dozen. I posted a list in the "Game companies you can't believe still exist" thread:

As far as the mainline series is concerned, other than Ubi Montreal there's:

- Ubisoft Annecy (assisted with AssCreed Brotherhood, Revelations, 3 and 4)
- Ubisoft Quebec (assisted with AssCreed Brotherhood, Revelations, 3 and 4)
- Ubisoft Singapore (assisted with AssCreed Brotherhood, Revelations, 3 and 4)
- Ubisoft Kiev (assisted with AssCreed Revelations, 3 and 4)
- Ubisoft Bucharest (assisted with AssCreed Brotherhood and 4)
- Ubisoft Romania (assisted with AssCreed Revelations and 3)
- Ubisoft Massive (assisted with AssCreed Revelations)
- Ubisoft Milan (assisted with AssCreed 4)
- Ubisoft Montpellier (assisted with AssCreed 4)

Nzyme32

Noticed this during the new Wolfenstein trailer....split second after a guy gets blasted in the face...

NiPzc9J.png

My guideless quest on Dark Souls 1 continues.

Yesterday I couldn't play a lot, so I just rushed into the forest, cleared the path of all those Ents and stone giants and reached where I found out that fog door.
I was having fun hacking all plants and accidentally found this summon sign and a nice witch came out. We went upstairs and prepared myself for some awesome boss fight! yes sir! came out of the fog and saw... uh... a nice view, and eerie song, I saw my witch buddy looking up and charging a spell and I saw this lame-ass butterfly boss. That can be the most disappointing boss so far on this game, lame, slow, and always outside of my range. My witch buddy actually took 4/5 of the boss' health herself and I just gave the finishing blow as it came down to rest. This was lame.
Got into another tower and found a dead blacksmith.
Also got a key with this description:

Opens the narrow passage leading below
at the far face of the great bridge in
the Undead Burg.

The lower Undead Burg is a treacherous place.
Do not turn your back on the wily thieves, or
the wild dogs who serve the Capra Demon.

I guess its time to backtrack and face this Capra Demon I've heard so much here on GAF.
My heart is resolute and my axe is sharp.
Today at night, my quest continues.

Dolor

So people, in a few weeks The Forst, Transistor and Invisible, Inc (if they reach their goal) are releasing.

Who buys what? Personally, I will probably buy Transistor will GMG credits and The Forest and Invisibile, Inc with Steam wallet funds.

I bought Van Helsing II and Tropico 5, so I am going to be set for a while.

Will wait for impressions of Bound by Flame, but I think that looks promising as a more or less standard character action RPG.

Almost a dozen. I posted a list in the "Game companies you can't believe still exist" thread:

Thanks JaseC

Wouldn't involving so many different studios making a game bad? Seven different studios made AC4. SEVEN!!

It must be a nightmare managing the communication with so many studios.

If they stop making AssCreed games, then Jase won't have any games to play.

He has Anno 1404 to play now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom