• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

I bought Foot-lol yesterday, lol
And after I bought it... I remembered that I haven't checked does it have singleplay at all...
Does it?

edited: just noticed that all VNs got greenlit, and some of you say that community sucks (><)

aku:jiki

Oh hey Planet Stronghold got greenlist, hopefully HB updates with a Steam key when it gets released.
They just did for Actual Sunlight for the Brandon bundle, so hopefully.

ibq1EnmldlhgoU.png

My second perfect game. The other is probably Black Ops MP with 3 whole achievements.
What game is it?

I have 10 perfect games but no idea how to see which ones I have! How do I do that? Why can't I click the "X perfect games" showcase thing?

Deques

They just did for Actual Sunlight for the Brandon bundle, so hopefully.

What game is it?

I have 10 perfect games but no idea how to see which ones I have! How do I do that? Why can't I click the "X perfect games" showcase thing?

Looks like Goat Simulator

Jawmuncher

All of this Resident Evil talk. If i'm back and anyone needs a RE6 partner let me know. I'm down to play that any time.

Also I never updated about the playfire and SAM thing.
I didn't do it and for the one I did I deleted the achievement right after (since it happened as the thread was going).

zkylon

zkylewd
I have reeeeeally mixed feelings on this game. It is doing the setting justice in a lot of ways, and the tactical combat has potential, but man is Dead Man's Switch a slog. The combat is really similar to the XCOM reboot, yet it rarely manages to be half as fun. There are no surprising outcomes, beyond the basic RNG stuff. It only gets remotely interesting when you're decking while the rest of the team keeps you from being murdered while you're jacked in. Otherwise none of the battle setups take things beyond clearing rooms of similarly incompetent baddies.

It isn't bad as a linear adventure game. I like the characters, the plot, all of which is pretty true to the setting. I enjoy walking around talking to people, sending drones through vents to find secrets, basically taking advantage of any small freedom the game gives you. Then the combat scenes start and it all comes crashing to a halt.

I'd be into someone making straight up Shadowrun visual novels with the toolkit.

Dragonfall looks like an improvement all around but I'll need a break after DMS, even though it appears I'm nearing the end about 11 hours in.

As for the tablet design criticism, that's kinda fair, I guess? There are some useful keyboard shortcuts, which even PC focused games tend to ignore, so i didn't think it was that bad.
i started dragonfall just a while ago but had to put it down because it was really annoying me

i don't like having to click on things, i need dem hotkeys and i wish the game was a lot more responsive.

i might give it another go down the line, but for now imma go for the banner saga for my turn based combat kickstarter game

Saty

Neat that Monaco is inside the top 30 and FTL inside the top 20 on the back of the expansion pack and no special price.

I'd really like to see a research on the trend of sales for games that have been in cheap bundles. You'd think everyone who cared got those games then but they seem to keep selling well after that.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Goat Simulator
ibq1EnmldlhgoU.png

My second perfect game. The other is probably Black Ops MP with 3 whole achievements.

Man, I tried to get that Flappy Goat achievement last night. Frustrating. Will definitely be getting all the achievements before the Playfire rewards expiret though!

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Oh, I played the FTL: Advanced update last night, it's great. Lots of new stuff, seemed really fresh and challenging (still). Looking forward to getting back into it again.

It's basically AssCreed set in Middle-earth. And I'm okay with that.
Isn't this the game that a former ubi developer said looked really similar to Assassin's Creed 2 or something along those lines?

Did the shadow of mordor devs ever respond to that or did they just ignore it?

Isn't this the game that a former ubi developer said looked really similar to Assassin's Creed 2 or something along those lines?

Did the shadow of mordor devs ever respond to that or did they just ignore it?

The animations are disturbing similar, I wouldn't be surprised.

And no.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

radMonkey

Interesting, good to know but I do have a question though. The other day I loaded FFVIII after finding my 12 year old saves, and upon loading them I got a flurry of achievements (but not all of them, there were some oddities), and I know it's not the only game where this happens. How do you guys deal with something like that?

I'm not here to instil fear - glitches happen and we appreciate that. Basically our systems will flag suspicious activity, but there's human intervention before decisions are made. It's usually the accumulation of several activities to be honest. But every situation is individual and different. A blanket rule and response doesn't work well. Basically, if you don't use SAM you've got nothing to worry about.

i don't get this playfire thingie

seems like they should've done a better job just showing which achievements you can unlock, it's really annoying to read a long blog post to check on old ass portal 2 cheevos you already got

Yeah, it's a bit rubbish, I agree, but it's always been a stop-gap. We're in BETA so we need to make sure the premise, mechanics and business model work before we invest more resources into it. So far, so good - looking to get a nice easy rewards page built in the near future.

I guess achievements from family sharing don't count towards playfire rewards, noo my 50 cents :(

qn5hJfI.jpg

Yeah, we don't detect family sharing, although I haven't tested achievements. Steam's API does pump out that data though, so maybe we'll include it in the future if there's enough demand.

Still any credits from Playfire. I submitted a ticket two days (or three, can't remember) ago, bot nothing. Also yesterday I did around 2&#8364; rewards, let's see. For now Playfire wors very bad.

It's BETA, so it's not going to perfect. If you check the blog you'll see we recently discovered a big bug which we've fixed and for the most part rewards are working fine now. General rule of thumb though is you need to wait 24 hours before it's transferred to your GMG account.

Apologies on the Customer Support front by the way. The Elder Scrolls Online is being launched, keys are going out, and there are inevitably a lot of unpredictable problems that aren't unusual with an MMO launching, so our CS department has a lot going on right now.

The animations are disturbing similar, I wouldn't be surprised.

And no.

Yeah, an Ubi dev claimed that Monolith had lifted wholesale animations from AssCreed 2, which is a ridiculous assertion to be sure of considering the "smoking gun" is YouTube footage. WB didn't respond.

Ah, that is very interesting.
But I'm not going to lie, I'm a bit surprised WB didn't respond, but I guess since like the AC2 dev said he "has no legal claim to his work" I probably shouldn't be surprised that they didn't.

Oh well, the more games like AC2 the better.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Did the update make it any less of a slot machine?

There are more weapons, systems and augmentations so I'm guessing it's either more or less like a slot machine depending on whether you think that there's strategy involved in having random items/events/battles and attempting to use what you have in the most effective way. It's not like you can start a game and steamroll your way right through to the end or anything, but you might end up getting a really useful weapon/etc randomly that helps you out. It's like all Rogue-likes in that way.

Anteater

Yeah, we don't detect family sharing, although I haven't tested achievements. Steam's API does pump out that data though, so maybe we'll include it in the future if there's enough demand.

Thanks for the helpful responses!

I guess it makes sense since I don't own those games, like we don't earn cards from family sharing either, I'm ok with that.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
guess this was added to the doorways bundle

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

No Time To Explain -- MB-C5C519E382B402C2 - Taken by Alduin

Volotaire

Oh, I played the FTL: Advanced update last night, it's great. Lots of new stuff, seemed really fresh and challenging (still). Looking forward to getting back into it again.

I was surprised by the new subsytems they implemented in the game. I'm not too keen on the hacking one, but they're overall great additions.

Acccent

yawn. Well I'm glad I sparked such an interesting discussion! To answer some points:

Guess I don't like this idea of only being a true gamer if you tried every title that someone considers a classic and a must-play. Yeah, Deus Ex is a classic. And yeah, I tried it last year and loved it a lot. But if you're not into FPSs or RPGs or games that allow you to tackle problems via different solutions or cyberpunk settings or kick-ass soundtracks, then I don't think you'll find much enjoyment in this game and you should probably skip it and spend your time with something else.

Mind you, I've also been guilty of thinking the same, but now I realize there's no point in considering some games indispensable. There's a crapton of choice out there, there's absolutely no reason at all to be constrained by some arbitrary list of "greatest hits" titles.
I mostly agree with RionaaM, but this is the crux of the matter. As I said, I will try playing those games, if only because it will make for interesting things to tell about here, but I'm quite confident that I won't like them. I generally don't like the first-person perspective, don't like the games' settings (besides Thief's I guess), and most of the time when a new game comes out with gameplay aspects that are criticized for being 'not as hardcore as in whatever old-school classic' I consider that a major selling point. But, we'll see!

You can miss out on other games, sure.
But I stand firm that if you're super into games, you should play games that have had a massive impact on the entire gaming industry like Doom, Super Mario Bros and Pong.
Well I have played SMB and Pong and I definitely didn't get anything out of them. I think you can learn as much by seeing any random picture of the games. I know it's not a popular opinion... three–five years ago, when I was still in school, I had videogame history classes and I kept clashing with the teacher and just refusing to give any fucks because I really didn't get what all of these super-old games could teach me apart from 'History'. Which is valuable in itself, but don't pretend that those games are anything more, and please don't pretend that they're venerable artifacts that ought to be respected and must inform the future. The further away from them games get, the merrier I am.

Yeah, reading that back, that was awfully rude of me calling people like Accent a casual(Sorry, mate)
No problem, but see, that's the thing: if 'casual' and 'hardcore' are terms with any actual value, and I don't think they are, but if they were I'd much rather be called a casual than a hardcore gamer :)

I guess it's just a matter of coming to terms with the fact that there is no 'category' of players that's better than the others, just like there is no way of playing or school of game design that's better than the others. I was struggling with this for a time and then I realized that I enjoyed games with little conflict and that gave me time to think, and preferred short, focused experiences over large-scale convoluted epic plots (the main reason why I haven't played SS2, Deus Ex or Thief 1/2) – and at some point I went 'well, so fucking what?' and now I'm happy with that. Most of the games that were made in the last millennium just weren't conceived with that kind of personality in mind, which is fine.

Acccent

onlyallowruinincountries will probably be removed, as I recommended, but I imagine the gifting/trading restriction will remain in place.

well I sure hope that 'only allow ruin in countries' will be removed. that's a pretty awful setting

edit: woops double, sorry. overestimated the number of awake members at this time!

Salsa

got the flappy goat achievement on like my third try, stop being so weak srsly

played the game for 3 hours and I onky have the trophies left. I guess watching some footage when it came out made the secrets easier to find

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom