• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
yawn. Well I'm glad I sparked such an interesting discussion! To answer some points:

I mostly agree with RionaaM, but this is the crux of the matter. As I said, I will try playing those games, if only because it will make for interesting things to tell about here, but I'm quite confident that I won't like them. I generally don't like the first-person perspective, don't like the games' settings (besides Thief's I guess), and most of the time when a new game comes out with gameplay aspects that are criticized for being 'not as hardcore as in whatever old-school classic' I consider that a major selling point. But, we'll see!

Well I have played SMB and Pong and I definitely didn't get anything out of them. I think you can learn as much by seeing any random picture of the games. I know it's not a popular opinion... three–five years ago, when I was still in school, I had videogame history classes and I kept clashing with the teacher and just refusing to give any fucks because I really didn't get what all of these super-old games could teach me apart from 'History'. Which is valuable in itself, but don't pretend that those games are anything more, and please don't pretend that they're venerable artifacts that ought to be respected and must inform the future. The further away from them games get, the merrier I am.

No problem, but see, that's the thing: if 'casual' and 'hardcore' are terms with any actual value, and I don't think they are, but if they were I'd much rather be called a casual than a hardcore gamer :)

I guess it's just a matter of coming to terms with the fact that there is no 'category' of players that's better than the others, just like there is no way of playing or school of game design that's better than the others. I was struggling with this for a time and then I realized that I enjoyed games with little conflict and that gave me time to think, and preferred short, focused experiences over large-scale convoluted epic plots (the main reason why I haven't played SS2, Deus Ex or Thief 1/2) – and at some point I went 'well, so fucking what?' and now I'm happy with that. Most of the games that were made in the last millennium just weren't conceived with that kind of personality in mind, which is fine.
Wait, you had video game history classes?
Jeez, haha, you're way more hardcore than me if that's the case, mate.

But yeah the games are old and I guess that's a big reason why I feel so strongly towards them, nostalgia man, it's a powerful thing.

Still I'm glad you're at least going to give them a shot, if you play them and they make you want to throw your computer out of the window, I'll be a-okay with that since at least you gave 'em a shot.

I do hope they don't make you want to throw your computer out of the window though, haha.

Arthea

According to modbot and me, these are unclaimed games from my last giveaway. I hope that's the case.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Bridge Project -- MB-12C9CAA118FBD09B - Taken by Boss Doggie
Gravity Badgers -- MB-7BBD7700C97C5DEF
Data Jammers FastForward -- MB-8FE59AA791A3F067 - Taken by PunishedSnake
Planets Under Attack -- MB-767E9DC0AAD63A24 - Taken by TuckingFypo
Post Apocalyptic Mayhem -- MB-C2A59552C5B75810

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Gravity Badgers was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Data Jammers FastForward was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Planets Under Attack was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

Tizoc

got the flappy goat achievement on like my third try, stop being so weak srsly

played the game for 3 hours and I onky have the trophies left. I guess watching some footage when it came out made the secrets easier to find

I've found 11 out of 30 Trophies. For today I'll aim to get 9 more and one or two extra cheevos.
How'd you get the 11 flips in the air Cheevo?

Acccent

Wait, you had video game history classes?
Jeez, haha, you're way more hardcore than me if that's the case, mate.

But yeah the games are old and I guess that's a big reason why I feel so strongly towards them, nostalgia man, it's a powerful thing.

Still I'm glad you're at least going to give them a shot, if you play them and they make you want to throw your computer out of the window, I'll be a-okay with that since at least you gave 'em a shot.

I do hope they don't make you want to throw your computer out of the window though, haha.

yeah I was in a ~~~special videogame schooool~~~

btw while I'm at it Zelda TP >>>>>> OoT \m/

def sim

But.. we're still waiting for the Steamworks update. =(

I'm scared if it'll never turn up and just be gone when GFWL goes down, as I haven't played it and got it on my Steam list.

All the more reason to play it now!

Really, though, I'm sure we'll see the steamworks update soon enough.

Evrain

Wha..... I admit to not having played TP for more than TP, but for it to be so vastly superior to what is possibly the best game ever made (after Bad Rats) is somewhat of a stretch IMHO

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
ARPGs are probably more your thing then.

Have you tried any SRPGs?
I tried the Fire Emblem: Awakening demo and quite liked it, though I haven't bought the game yet.

Regarding ARPGs, I tried Diablo 2 and didn't really like it. I did love The Witcher, but I started something else when I was halfway through chapter 2 and never came back. Can't remember trying any other game in these genres.

I do love funny RPG-lites, like Paper Mario, Costume Quest and South Park. And of course Pokemon, although I skipped several gens.

Zelda TP >>>>>> OoT \m/
THAT'S IT.
YOU'VE GONE ONE STEP OVER THE LINE THIS TIME, ACCENT.

:p
OoT is actually the only Zelda game I've finished so tbh I really can't compare, I hear TP is basically Ocarina of Time but bigger so you're probably right.

Wait, steam thread! right uh, how about that...Darksiders? That's like zelda right?

Arthea

I tried the Fire Emblem: Awakening demo and quite liked it, though I haven't bought the game yet.

Regarding ARPGs, I tried Diablo 2 and didn't really like it. I did love The Witcher, but I started something else when I was halfway through chapter 2 and never came back. Can't remember trying any other game in these genres.

I do love funny RPG-lites, like Paper Mario, Costume Quest and South Park. And of course Pokemon, although I skipped several gens.

As we talk funny RPGs, you know which one is funniest of them all
for me
- Mana Khemia, if you can look past how it actually looks, that is. Not only funny, it's a great game too.

Thanks for Databurst Arthea :)

you're welcome

ngt

MS on Age of Mythology's region-locking:

onlyallowruinincountries will probably be removed, as I recommended, but I imagine the gifting/trading restriction will remain in place.

I love how Valve claims that the restrictions are set by publishers, and publishers say it's Valve.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I've found 11 out of 30 Trophies. For today I'll aim to get 9 more and one or two extra cheevos.

Go to the low gravity testing area and you should be able to get a bunch of flips, hit space as you land for a better landing.

Going to get the Goat Queen and Goat of the Hill achievements tonight, plus whatever else I can grab. Wonder if activating slow motion helps with the Flappy Goat game?

StuBurns

Banned
Hey guys, I have a couple of questions.

Other than Dear Esther, Proteus and The Stanley Parable, what other 'walking simulators' are there on Steam?

I also want to get A Machine For Pigs, I was wondering if there were any deals anywhere for the Steam version, £13 isn't a bad price, but if anyone knows of a sale, that'd be cool.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
If you like it? You can say you found out you like RPG games because chances are you will like a better game even more.

If you don't like it? I would suggest you need to play a quality recommended title before you swear off the genre.

To me it just makes sense if you are going to keep playing games. For this reason I tried Bioshock Infinite. It wasn't for me, but at least now I know.
This makes sense. Maybe you are right, and the best way of trying a genre is by giving the most praised games a chance.

I definitely see where you're coming from. Doom is a hell of a game, and everything from art style to sound design, level layout and weapons placement is masterfully done. And yes, playing it can let people see how a perfectly crafted game works, even though it may not be to their liking.

Though I guess you could read about it or watch videos if you want to know that, but it's probably not the same as playing it yourself.

iLm8HPnJSjzio.gif

Actually they're both pretty mediocre, but I also find TP the better of the two.

Arthea

Other than Dear Esther, Proteus and The Stanley Parable, what other 'walking simulators' are there on Steam?

I also want to get A Machine For Pigs, I was wondering if there were any deals anywhere for the Steam version, £13 isn't a bad price, but if anyone knows of a sale, that'd be cool.

Bientôt l'été?
I haven't played it, but it was mentioned couple of times.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/215670/?snr=1_237_151__104_2
Home, it's a 2D walking sim set in creepy places, who knows what might pop out and eat you! It's probably my favourite Walking Sim, although I've not finished many walking sims(Finished Proteus, Stanley Parable and Jazzpunk, but I haven't other walking sims like Dear Esther)

I definitely see where you're coming from. Doom is a hell of a game, and everything from art style to sound design, level layout and weapons placement is masterfully done. And yes, playing it can let people see how a perfectly crafted game works, even though it may not be to their liking.

Though I guess you could read about it or watch videos if you want to know that, but it's probably not the same as playing it yourself.

This discussion has made me want to play Doom again, I think this time I'll install the mod to make it like the PSX version.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
So a friend of mine sold someone a Steam Key for a game and the other guy says it's used and wants his money back. My friend suspects that the guy is trying to scam him, any way he can check when the key was redeemed and/or the account name that the key was activated in?

Salsa

gravity center. Jump on the fan go nuts then take it easy to come down

Im a bit disappointed that I had basically what was the whole game secrets spoiled for me. Still glad I got it even just for the fact that the mods should be insane

Dr Dogg

But what if I end up liking DA2? In fact, I plan on giving DAO a chance, and if I enjoy it then I can play the sequel too (got it for free on Origin).

Guess I don't like this idea of only being a true gamer if you tried every title that someone considers a classic and a must-play. Yeah, Deus Ex is a classic. And yeah, I tried it last year and loved it a lot. But if you're not into FPSs or RPGs or games that allow you to tackle problems via different solutions or cyberpunk settings or kick-ass soundtracks, then I don't think you'll find much enjoyment in this game and you should probably skip it and spend your time with something else.

Mind you, I've also been guilty of thinking the same, but now I realize there's no point in considering some games indispensable. There's a crapton of choice out there, there's absolutely no reason at all to be constrained by some arbitrary list of "greatest hits" titles.

Way late to the party (and subsequent 'witch hunt') but I'll throw my hat into the ring.

It's a really hard thing to say to some one to try one game before or over the other without knowing in detail what you like and don't like about a games mechanics, right down to the nitty gritty. Even jumping in to the middle of a series or starting from the beginning or end can put you off others more more than reasons solely because of connected story or mechanics.

So this comes on to the subject of Dragon Age. Now there's nothing wrong with wanting to play 2 before Origins and as you say you might prefer it more than the first but pretty much everyone I know who is/was a keen RPG fan, myself included that played Origins first felts like they had been violated by 2 (in fact go seek out EviLore's OT, it's probably the best OT ever Edit: Found it! Worth a read for everyone). This is more to do with growing up with paper and pen, table top and older CRPG's that Origins, while really striping back on mechanics and the complicated lore of the older titles in the genre, brought back to the fore. If you played any MMORPG's in the last 10 years (and yes 'that' popular one as well) you will find the basic mechanics and character sheet and skills are quite similar with the added bonus of having the older CRPG style companions on your quest instead of some online yahoos.

2 on the other hand does a Mass Effect 2 and bins all that was great in the first game and turns it more into and Action RPG. Now that might be more your thing and no one can tell you what you should and shouldn't like (unless Argentina has introduced some new barmy laws I'm unaware of) but for people who grew up with and enjoyed the predecessors to Origins as well as the first game itself it's a massive slap to the face with the biggest, stinkiest fish you can think of. If 2 was a Risen or a Two World game it wouldn't get half the hate it does.

Bottom line is this if you want to get into the more tactical CRPG's Dragons Age: Origins is a great start before looking at something like an older game like Icewind Dale. Likewise if you like a great world to explore with a varied party Dragon Age: Origins should be you're first stop then look at Baulders Gate I and then II. If story is your thing then maybe jump straight into Planetscape: Torment as it plays a little differently (and not it's best strength) but has by far and away the best story in an RPG ever (and no that is not hyperbole). Reason I suggest Dragon Age: Origins first is that it's been paired back way, way more than the earlier titles and doesn't require the 200 page plus manual just to work out how to craft a character. Once you've gotten used to the paradigms of the genre with Dragon Age you stand the best chance of not being scared off by the classics.

On a plus side Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity is shaping up nicely (even after the Paradox scare I had) and Torment: Tides of Numenra is just entering production and hopefully on it's way for 2015. Getting into the genre now could really set you up for 2 great looking titles on the horizon and ones that I'm most excited for (even more than Dark Souls II).

Or seeing as you like Deus Ex, why don't you have a look at Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines. And yes the GAF hype is on the money with that game.

_hekk05

Banned
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Heli Heroes -- MB-36448BAE4C0E3127 - Taken by topyy

ModBot has been pretty wonky for me lately. If you tried to claim this but no edit was made, pls pm me for the key.

And Super Paper Mario > Paper Mario > Paper Mario: TTYD > every other Nintendo game
That's interesting that you put SPM >> PPM:TTYD, hmm, I'll have to give SPM another shot down the road, I played it for about 30 minutes didn't get into it and put it away.

Are there some games like SPM on Steam by any chance? Only thing that springs to mind would be FEZ and it's perspective shifting mechanic, but aside from that it's not much like SPM at all(or at least from what I played of it)

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, it's a bit rubbish, I agree, but it's always been a stop-gap. We're in BETA so we need to make sure the premise, mechanics and business model work before we invest more resources into it. So far, so good - looking to get a nice easy rewards page built in the near future.
that'd be great, yea

i think there should be a bit more clarity on how the achievement thing works. like, i get it is supposed to only reward you for unlocking achievements after you've made your account, it makes sense or else people would be cashing in mad amounts on day 1. but like i have a couple max payne 3 and like payday 2 achievements unlocked on playfire last month when i know i didn't play those games last month. i know there's a timetable to do each achievement too and everything but it's kind of a confusing bunch of rules that makes me think "whatever if i win stuff i'll use it, if not c'est la vie" rather than get me all hooked up on getting dem cheevos

other than that the idea is pretty cool, getting virtual money to get discounts for other games off achievements is like giving purpose to the damned things, and having those 6 or 7 bucks hanging there will prolly make me check gmg more often to see what i can spend them on. so sounds like win win

but yea glad to hear that's getting an upgrade

got the flappy goat achievement on like my third try, stop being so weak srsly

WTF how....

It's easy to do it on a trampoline. Jump really high, hold right click and W or S to do a bunch of forward/back flips and land back on the trampoline so you don't have to bother with perfect landings.

Dr Dogg

omg my best varl fell off a cliff in banner saga

this fucking game man

I've only put in an hour but it's like Fire Emblem suddenly got a awesome soundtrack and a less animey setting. Saying that I sunk 150 hours plus into Awakening last year.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
And so Goat Simulator became my fifth perfect game on Steam

zkylon

zkylewd
I've only put in an hour but it's like Fire Emblem suddenly got a awesome soundtrack and a less animey setting. Saying that I sunk 150 hours plus into Awakening last year.
yea, it's osme sort of oregon trail with nordic mythology and crazy disney art

not sure if i like it quite as much tho. i personally take offense with the leveling system. i hate that you gotta get kills to level up instead of just using experience. it basically makes the support dudes stay low level forever unless you keep some 1 hp dredge running around for your archers and whatnot to lasthit

also since that guy died it just fucked up my whole thing, he was my highest level dude and my main damage dealer, i kinda deserve it for risking his life but you know, if there was a way to level my other guys instead of the single one varl that does like 18 damage per hit :/

Hmm let me see if I can make a giveaway of HMH 1 later today...
Those who have HMH1 can get 2 with a discount right? Does that still apply if you get HMH1 by today or tomorrow?
I'm not sure how the discount will work yet, the producer of the game said they asked Valve to make it automatic for all owners.

yea, it's osme sort of oregon trail with nordic mythology and crazy disney art

not sure if i like it quite as much tho. i personally take offense with the leveling system. i hate that you gotta get kills to level up instead of just using experience. it basically makes the support dudes stay low level forever unless you keep some 1 hp dredge running around for your archers and whatnot to lasthit

also since that guy died it just fucked up my whole thing, he was my highest level dude and my main damage dealer, i kinda deserve it for risking his life but you know, if there was a way to level my other guys instead of the single one varl that does like 18 damage per hit :/

Pretty much my experience with the game. Your main guys (Varls are so much stronger than humans, which makes humans pretty much pointless) will level pretty nicely but everyone else wont.

Then there are these random events all over the game, where you do have a choice to make, but the outcome can feel totally random and your characters permanently die for no reason. I was left at some point with only one strong guy and a party full of weaklings which I never leveled. Kind of lost my interest in the game after that, and I was close to the end. Beautiful game, but just not a lot of fun. The Oregon Trail/Roguelike aspect would be fun if the game was shorter.

Oh, and the way the turn order works is stupid. Each team starts with 5 characters and teams alternate turns, where one character can move, not based on any initiative/agility stat. Combined with the fact that the strength of your attack is equal to your remaining health, if one of your characters is very low on health it is actually beneficial to kill him off so he doesn't waste a turn for your team, since he is useless anyway. And at the beginning of battles, you have to pick the 5 man team out of your roster before you even know what kind of enemies you're up against, so you can forget using any kind of strategy.

I could go on, the game is just not very good.

radMonkey

Monaco is free to play this weekend. Great game if you haven't tried it already. I've put together a handful of Playfire Rewards for it.

BTW - I need to create the schedule of rewards for next week, so if you have any suggestions, throw them my way on here, PF or twitter.

that'd be great, yea

i think there should be a bit more clarity on how the achievement thing works. like, i get it is supposed to only reward you for unlocking achievements after you've made your account, it makes sense or else people would be cashing in mad amounts on day 1. but like i have a couple max payne 3 and like payday 2 achievements unlocked on playfire last month when i know i didn't play those games last month. i know there's a timetable to do each achievement too and everything but it's kind of a confusing bunch of rules that makes me think "whatever if i win stuff i'll use it, if not c'est la vie" rather than get me all hooked up on getting dem cheevos

other than that the idea is pretty cool, getting virtual money to get discounts for other games off achievements is like giving purpose to the damned things, and having those 6 or 7 bucks hanging there will prolly make me check gmg more often to see what i can spend them on. so sounds like win win

but yea glad to hear that's getting an upgrade

Yeah, unless you've been participating in the beta for a while, the messaging around how it works can be a bit confusing. I'm hoping that overall improvements to the service, a new rewards page/hub, and some changes to the registration process will make it easier to understand. Our tech teams a bit slammed at the moment though, so I have to approach with caution ;)

Tizoc

Oh yeah I suspected Monaco may get playfire rewards!

BTW will there be playfire rewards for Moebius too if you don't mind me asking?

Knurek

BTW - I need to create the schedule of rewards for next week, so if you have any suggestions, throw them my way on here, PF or twitter.

Allow me to say that even if I am kind of angry @GMG (since your pricing policy change, you're up to 30% more expensive for Eastern Europe buyers than Steam is), it's very refreshing to see this kind of community outreach from any company.

I wish Valve would be doing the same, honestly (unless jshackles is their secret spy).

zkylon

zkylewd
Pretty much my experience with the game. Your main guys (Varls are so much stronger than humans, which makes humans pretty much pointless) will level pretty nicely but everyone else wont.

Then there are these random events all over the game, where you do have a choice to make, but the outcome can feel totally random and your characters permanently die for no reason. I was left at some point with only one strong guy and a party full of weaklings which I never leveled. Kind of lost my interest in the game after that, and I was close to the end. Beautiful game, but just not a lot of fun. The Oregon Trail/Roguelike aspect would be fun if the game was shorter.

Oh, and the way the turn order works is stupid. Each team starts with 5 characters and teams alternate turns, where one character can move, not based on any initiative/agility stat. Combined with the fact that the strength of your attack is equal to your remaining health, if one of your characters is very low on health it is actually beneficial to kill him off so he doesn't waste a turn for your team, since he is useless anyway. And at the beginning of battles, you have to pick the 5 man team out of your roster before you even know what kind of enemies you're up against, so you can forget using any kind of strategy.

I could go on, the game is just not very good.

yea i think the cycling turns thing is pretty bad too and again like with broken age i feel like dividing the story in two separate ones ends up hurting gameplay depth and character/story development. so like you're sort of starting over every so time and that makes every mistake feel like it'll be super permanent since you don't have many instances to undo it.

also the health/strength thing i actually like if it weren't for the turn thingie. if the game had a way to heal units that'd be also pretty nice since basically after a guy loses some hp they're basically worthless. i mean they could easily be separate but i think them being a sinlge stat is kind of clever and unique so at least i like it.

but yea the leveling thing is my main gripe with the game, your heroes should gain xp passively with time and at the end of battles, instead of that awful kills system. it's really weird they didn't forsee this being an issue

Baha

Freebies..

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

Ride 'Em Low -- MB-30B74231AB8A6CAA - Taken by _hekk05
A New Beginning -- MB-B3A197D849876AE1 - Taken by Henry Swanson
Half Minute Hero -- MB-0A83E0E4F49A04C6 - Taken by Sub Zero

zkylon

zkylewd
Ace Combat Assault Horizon - Enhanced Edition is -75% off, only $7.50 AUD.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/228400/

Get on it, fellas.

is this any good doe?

Yeah, unless you've been participating in the beta for a while, the messaging around how it works can be a bit confusing. I'm hoping that overall improvements to the service, a new rewards page/hub, and some changes to the registration process will make it easier to understand. Our tech teams a bit slammed at the moment though, so I have to approach with caution ;)
yea i understand

kinda like with steam badges i'll use the opportunity to play games i haven't given too much attention to like monaco

Question about the Playfire rewards, if I already have the achievements, do I have to boot the game before I get the rewards or something?
Seems like the rewards are kinda slow with updating and probably have missed out on a bunch of rewards but gotten others.

Question about the Playfire rewards, if I already have the achievements, do I have to boot the game before I get the rewards or something?
Seems like the rewards are kinda slow with updating and probably have missed out on a bunch of rewards but gotten others.

It can take a day or two for the rewards to update. You can't get rewards for achievements you got before they put it into their reward system though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom